Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

N6 - Athlone Bypass Upgrade works

12930313234

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭billbond4


    16th of November now it will be down to one lane.




  • billbond4 wrote: »
    16th of November now it will be down to one lane.
    Are they waiting for natural erosion to solve the problem! :rolleyes:


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭billbond4


    yeah it looks like that, I sent them mail asking them what are they actually doing?
    Besides leaving cones on the road.


  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd


    Folks,

    Some pics of the refurbished bypass in this SSC post.

    /csd




  • It looks like they've finally got around to doing the work!
    The embankment has been stripped back and a stabilizing mesh of some type laid over it, still in progress.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭veryangryman


    dolanbaker wrote: »
    It looks like they've finally got around to doing the work!
    The embankment has been stripped back and a stabilizing mesh of some type laid over it, still in progress.
    Nice and fast as usual...




  • Nice and fast as usual...
    Perhaps they were hoping that gravity would do the work for them! :P


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭billbond4


    They have finished installing the mesh and removed the cones last night.


  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid


    billbond4 wrote: »
    They have finished installing the mesh and removed the cones last night.


    So are all the upgrade works to the Athlone Bypass finished now?




  • JupiterKid wrote: »
    So are all the upgrade works to the Athlone Bypass finished now?
    The upgrade work finished last year, this was an emergency repair to an unstable embankment.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭veryangryman


    Traffic lights don't count as an upgrade in my book. The 'work' has finished yes. How do they sleep at night


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭veryangryman


    New works on the bypass bridge for next 4 weeks. To coincide with the works on the crossroads of Dunnes Irishtown junction.

    The horror. The horror.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭billbond4


    clever planning dont you mean?




  • New works on the bypass bridge for next 4 weeks. To coincide with the works on the crossroads of Dunnes Irishtown junction.

    The horror. The horror.
    What's happening at the crossroads?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭veryangryman


    dolanbaker wrote: »
    What's happening at the crossroads?

    Pipe laying same as church st previously.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭billbond4


    Mile and half tail backs yesterday at 5, hopefully it was because of extra traffic going to roscommon races and athlone town match last night


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭veryangryman


    billbond4 wrote: »
    Mile and half tail backs yesterday at 5, hopefully it was because of extra traffic going to roscommon races and athlone town match last night

    :o

    If only..


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭billbond4


    at least they are working on the road and not just looking at it, they had big section scraped out this morning.
    But in fairness half the length of the tail back is dozie drivers,big gaps in the queue,drivers dont seem to keep close to car ahead.
    Once i was gone through it this morning, the bypass was like a ghost town,


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭billbond4


    Both sides down to one lane between j13 and j11




  • Looks like expansion joints again, it doesn't seem that long since they last replaced them.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭billbond4


    dolanbaker wrote: »
    Looks like expansion joints again, it doesn't seem that long since they last replaced them.

    Yeah, maybe two/three years ago since they did them,looks like they must always have to replace them regularly


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭veryangryman


    Eastbound is open fully again. Westbound still cone city.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭billbond4


    Both lanes were open this morning, and they seem to have tarred over the expansion joints altogether ?




  • Must be some temporary fix before installing a more permanent solution, it won't last a winter if left like that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭billbond4


    dolanbaker wrote: »
    Must be some temporary fix before installing a more permanent solution, it won't last a winter if left like that.
    Seems permanent enough, they have it repainted already it's about 90 foot long,maybe it's a special tar in that section?




  • billbond4 wrote: »
    Seems permanent enough, they have it repainted already it's about 90 foot long,maybe it's a special tar in that section?
    I thought that all they were doing was the expansion joints,:confused:


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭billbond4


    dolanbaker wrote: »
    I thought that all they were doing was the expansion joints,:confused:
    Maybe it's a new method for expansion joints?
    Next time your driving over the main Shannon bridge have a look at the road surface




  • I've just driven over it, no visible expansion joint, maybe the new road surface is made of a flexible asphalt that doesn't need a joint strip.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭billbond4


    they are cutting up the new road surface that was laid last week on the eastbound side. so probably putting in a new expansion joint


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle


    Just noticed that Street View on Google Maps shows the bypass during the upgrade works.


Advertisement