Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Anger in Wicklow as household charge reminders sent to those who already paid

Tweet

19/10/2012 - 12:58:02
    A large number of householders in Co Wicklow who have paid the household charge are expressing anger after receiving two or more reminder letters this week.

The letters were addressed to different people residing in the house - including children - while in at least two instances, they were sent to a person who had died.

Over 23,000 such letters have been dispatched by the council, but there doesn't appear to have been a screening process put in place to avoid sending reminders to those who have paid the charge.

Postage alone for the reminders has cost more than €14,000.

The letter also requires those who have already paid the charge to contact a lo-call number to tell those compiling the database, that they have already paid.

We will be out of this mess in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The HHC, Property Tax etc will take a back seat now with the news from Europe that we will get no help with our Bank debt.
    Angela has turned Turk and said it would only apply to new Bank debts.

Enda returns with his tail between his legs after getting false kisses from the woman he looked up to so much.

Even more and much worse austerity to kick in now. Hold onto your money people as you will need it more than ever now.

Is that the sound of footsteps I hear .......?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

continuing to not pay the household charge is a great way to show our resistance to excessive austerity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

The HHC, Property Tax etc will take a back seat now with the news from Europe that we will get no help with our Bank debt.

Enda returns with his tail between his legs after getting false kisses from the woman he looked up to so much.

Even more and much worse austerity to kick in now. Hold onto your money people as you will need it more than ever now.

Ireland took on that banking debt to stop contagion throughout Europe and that farce continued with the bailout. And that's how the dirty german nazi's reward us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Which means they will probaly set the planned property tax at a higher rate now-it will be Interesting now how many people will admit in conversations if they voted yes to the austerity treaty last may-Declan Ganley and others done their best to try tell people if we voted yes there would be no deal on bank debt as we would lose any leverage with a yes vote-glad Il be always be able to say hand on heart that I voted no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

ilovesleep wrote: »
    And that's how the dirty german nazi's reward us.
    This really is pathetic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

i shouldnt, but... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Ghandee wrote: »
    So they won't take anyone to court now regardless if they pay or don't pay?

Further reason not to pay!

Nope. They're sending out 3 letters, then seeing where they'll go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

3 letters, jaysus, are they hoping to paper cut us into submission

they should have left a blank line in the legislation, they could have filled it in when they decided...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

Growth was in line with the euro-zone average last year. Projected to be higher than euro-zone average for 2012 and 2013 according to the recent IMF report.

VLAD....have a read....
    http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1024959.shtml

I find this comment particularly interesting.....
    "Following weaker than expected Q2 employment and GDP data "we are downgrading our Irish GDP forecasts for the first time this year by c.0.5% for both 2012 (to 0.3%) and 2013 (to 1.3%)."....any comment VLAD..?

or how about this from the IMF....
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0907/imf-business.html

"The fund expects the economy to grow by only 0.4% this year and by only 1.5% next year. It had earlier predicted growth rates of 0.6% and 1.9% respectively."

VLAD,....do you seriously think 0.4% is enough ?....even IF we got to 1.5% it will be nowhere near enough....our interest bill alone will more than account for any gains from this growth.....
    care to comment ?....no point in comparing us to Europe, that is an irrelevant comparison...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Hijpo wrote: »
    no not that i am aware

Possibly but if money shortage is the issue and the reason we are paying this charge, why send two letters to the same house?

Someone here informed me earlier in the thread that it costs €2 to send a letter. thats 4 euro per house that has not paid the charge, not to mention the ones who have already paid that they sent letters to for the craic of it.

That 4 euro is greatly offset by the €27 extra that your parents will be paying in late fees + interest.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

So now we've gone from "where's the growth going to come from" to "where's even more growth going to come from".

Is it at all surprising that an export led economy has its forecasts downgraded when the global outlook is cut by a similar margin?

In Donegal this morning the won,t pay campaign burned a number of warning letters they collected from local people in protest at Dinny McGinleys office, while getting photographed by gardai, thought we didn,t have political police here.
    The group, members of the Can’t Pay Won’t Pay campaign, collected a number of letters from local people who asked to have the letters destroyed as a mark of protest to the €100 charge.

The Minister was not in his office at the time of the protest.

Gardai were present at the protest and took photographs of the protesters.

Spokesman for the Can’t Pay Won’t Pay group, Micheal MacGiolla Easbuig told DONEGAL DAILY he was outraged that Gardai were photographing protesters.

“I am outraged by what has happened here this morning. We have a legitimate right to protest.

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/10/19/uproar-as-gardai-photograph-protesters-burning-household-charge-letters/

That 4 euro is greatly offset by the €27 extra that your parents will be paying in late fees + interest.

Only one problem his parents won,t be paying.

Am Chile wrote: »
    In Donegal this morning the won,t pay campaign burned a number of warning letters they collected from local people in protest at Dinny McGinleys office, while getting photographed by gardai, thought we didn,t have political police here.
    Gardai photograph lawbreakers shocker!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

dvpower wrote: »

Talking about photos did you see the photograph of Angela being kissed by Enda?
    Then what happened? She kicked him in the criggs and made a laughing stock of him. If a picture paints a thousand words then that is in reality what occurred. Why did they wait until we paid off the bondholders? It was all a con. Ireland paid off Europe's debt. Not their debt, Europe's.
    Anyone who now pays the HHC or have already paid must really think that's it's money down the Swanee because they will need that for their children's needs before all this is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Am Chile wrote: »

Isnt it illegal to set fire to things.

Protesting isn't against the law in Ireland.

donalg1 wrote: »

No.

• Advertisement

No.

Really since when?

Protesting isn't against the law in Ireland.
    Evading the HHC is.

donalg1 wrote: »

jaysus, dont tell that to Bord Na Mona

Evading the HHC is.

evidence please...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

and if they send 6 letters to households that have paid or 3 to the deceased? how much will it be offset then?

Cool so its not illegal then brilliant, I am going to cancel my bins and start burning my rubbish instead since its not illegal. :rolleyes:

bgrizzley wrote: »
    evidence please...
    Group of people out burning HHC reminder letters. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

bgrizzley wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1019/1224325457995.html

THE TROIKA is “not wedded” to a property tax and is open to the measure being replaced by an alternative that would raise the same revenue, Fianna Fáil finance spokesman Michael McGrath has said.

Mr McGrath met members of the troika mission in Dublin this week and said they made “crystal clear” their position on the incoming tax.

Its amazing, 66% strongly oppose a property tax.

/looks at poll figures at top of this page...........^^

Purely coincidental of course.
    This really is pathetic stuff.

Question for DV, Vlad, DNC and DXhound, and the rest of the die hard pro tax brigade.

The troika informed us that they never insisted bondholders got paid, this was in fact insisted by the previous govt instead.

Considering, firstly FG lied to us to get in power (not another red cent, etc etc) then, when they reneged on this promise, they claimed the troika 'made them do it' and they basically had to pay the bondholders (second lie)(third lie)

To top that off, we've now clear proof that the troika couldn't care Less about a property tax, they've said so themselves. (the govt claimed it was in the terms of the bailout)

Question:

Why all the lies?

By following in FF's footsteps, who is it they're clearly trying to protect whole screwing the rest of us?

Take your time now lads, I'm off to put the kettle on.

Hijpo wrote: »
    and if they send 6 letters to households that have paid or 3 to the deceased? how much will it be offset then?

6x4. hmm, offset against that E23 profit we didnt have in the first place leaves -1, but since we didnt have the 23 in the first place we can probably change that to +1 . Woohoo, ???? Profit

• Advertisement

Group of people out burning HHC reminder letters. :rolleyes:

i burn election literature, i still vote. i burn bills i have paid. burning letters is not evidence of a crime.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement