Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Hijpo

dvpower wrote: »
    Yeah - but you'll only demand to know on an internet thread.

can you now supply me with the lotto numbers please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Deank wrote:
    They stated on the letter that the amount now due including late payment fees is €127 per property and this will continue to increase each month until the charge is paid.

If your estate is not on the exempt list, it does not mean it is not exempt, they have a list of the criteria on their web site. The late fees are €1 per month, I think it's worth holding out.
    Deank wrote:
    There is a number on the letter to call if you have any queries, what course of action should I take? Ignore the letter or call the number on it stating the reason I won't be paying, but then isn't that confirming I am at the address that they sent the letter too.... Confused

They are sending these letters out randomly, including to those who have paid, they haven't got a clue who to follow up on. Ignore this letter, or as you say, you're only confirming they are writing to the right person.
    There will be further protests. Who knows - maybe the anti HHC campaign can muster a crowd as big as the Quinn family can. One can only dream.

Like the crowd at the FG Ard Fheis!

Specifically what forecasts are you referring to?

unable to narrow down the post. however i do recall seeing a prediction made that by deadline day a certain percentage would have paid, the prediction fell short of the mark and the month and figure changed for a second prediction.

but hey, unless i have specific dates, it must be running around making up lies, right?

Slick50 wrote: »
    If your estate is not on the exempt list, it does not mean it is not exempt, they have a list of the criteria on their web site. The late fees are €1 per month, I think it's worth holding out.

They are sending these letters out randomly, including to those who have paid, they haven't got a clue who to follow up on. Ignore this letter, or as you say, you're only confirming they are writing to the right person.

Like the crowd at the FG Ard Fheis!

My parents got two today, one adressed to my dad and one adressed to my mam. thats twice the cost to cover one house :confused:
    It stated "according to our records this address xxxxxxxx has not paid the HHC" so they got the address right and there names which suggests they got there details from somewhere.

I cant think of a database what would have them both listed but separately at the same address as they have been married for about 27 years???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

Hijpo wrote: »
    My parents got two today, one adressed to my dad and one adressed to my mam. thats twice the cost to cover one house :confused:

I cant think of a database what would have them both listed but separately at the same address as they have been married for about 27 years???
    Do they have utility bills in seperate names? Like the phone bill in one name and the Electric in the other?

• Advertisement

Electoral register?

Maggie 2 wrote: »
    Do they have utility bills in seperate names? Like the phone bill in one name and the Electric in the other?
    no not that i am aware
    Electoral register?
    Possibly but if money shortage is the issue and the reason we are paying this charge, why send two letters to the same house?

Someone here informed me earlier in the thread that it costs €2 to send a letter. thats 4 euro per house that has not paid the charge, not to mention the ones who have already paid that they sent letters to for the craic of it.

Possibly but if money shortage is the issue and the reason we are paying this charge, why send two letters to the same house?.

Fishing! they're sending them out randomly, which is why even people who have paid are getting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Someone here informed me earlier in the thread that it costs €2 to send a letter. thats 4 euro per house that has not paid the charge, not to mention the ones who have already paid that they sent letters to for the craic of it.
    The interest and penalties are currently €27 I think, so that's still a €23 profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The interest and penalties are currently €27 I think, so that's still a €23 profit.

It would need to be a lot more than 23 e. Enda reportedly not doing too well in Europe tonight. Was he hearing things the last time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Profit?

What about the deficit:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Fishing! they're sending them out randomly, which is why even people who have paid are getting them.

Apparently they are using the Property Registration Authority (Land Registry) data. Some explanation also for people who have paid getting letters.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1017/1224325338834.html

The new letters, sent to single-home owners, use information from the Property Registration Authority.

“The data is in a number of different formats and it was a huge amount of work to try and match it. There has never been data matching like this done before, so there will be imperfections,” the spokeswoman said.

Letters may be sent to people who have already paid if their address contains the word “Street” on one database but just “St” on another. Or, if in a rural area, a townland is used in one form of an address and a local village or town in another.

Also this story is doing the rounds again. Fines Act to be updated to make deductions from wages and welfare. Seem to come round every few months but you never know.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/shatter-will-target-wages-to-collect-fines-over-nonpayment-of-household-charge-3262203.html

Apparently they are using the Property Registration Authority (Land Registry) data. Some explanation also for people who have paid getting letters.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1017/1224325338834.html

The new letters, sent to single-home owners, use information from the Property Registration Authority.

“The data is in a number of different formats and it was a huge amount of work to try and match it. There has never been data matching like this done before, so there will be imperfections,” the spokeswoman said.

Letters may be sent to people who have already paid if their address contains the word “Street” on one database but just “St” on another. Or, if in a rural area, a townland is used in one form of an address and a local village or town in another.

Also this story is doing the rounds again. Fines Act to be updated to make deductions from wages and welfare. Seem to come round every few months but you never know.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/shatter-will-target-wages-to-collect-fines-over-nonpayment-of-household-charge-3262203.html

One major flaw.
    But local authorities will have to go to court first --they cannot deduct the €100 charge from people's earnings directly.

Will it still be a profit after they fill the hole to the tune of 76 million in dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

It stated "according to our records this address xxxxxxxx has not paid the HHC" so they got the address right and there names which suggests they got there details from somewhere.

Some people in my area received worded letters-have your parents decided whether they will pay or not after receiving the letter ?

Am Chile wrote: »

Some people in my area received worded letters-have your parents decided whether they will pay or not after receiving the letter ?

They decided not to pay

They decided not to pay

Fair play to them for willing to stand their ground.

Fair play to them for willing to stand their ground.

my mam said she would have no problem paying the council directly, the government have already shown they couldnt give a **** about waterford so the chances of waterford council seeing the money are non existant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

:rolleyes:Only in Ireland could someone think that E23 that they do not have is profit.

you must be one of those creative accountants DV...

A new poll finds strong opposition to both property taxes plus water charges-Fine Gael voters/supporters are found to to be more supportive of proposed new taxes-meanwhile a majority of Labour voters were found to be opposed to new proposed taxes-a few of people Imcluding myself have said it here in this thread numerous times-Labour proceed with these taxes at their own peril and alienate your voters at next local/general elections.
    However, the poll also reveals strong opposition to the Government’s plans to introduce a property tax and water charges next year.

The poll also shows strong opposition across the board to the Government’s plan to introduce a property tax and water charges next year. Asked for their views on a property tax, 66 per cent said it was a bad idea, 28 per cent said it was a good idea and 6 per cent had no view. Better-off AB voters are the most supportive of a property tax, with the poorest DE voters the most strongly opposed.

Fine Gael voters are considerably more strongly in favour of Government policy on a property tax than Labour voters. There is a similar pattern on water charges in terms of class and party support, although the opposition to this development is not as strong. A total of 60 per cent said water charges are a bad idea, with 35 per cent in support. The best-off are again most supportive of water charges, with poorer people opposed. Fine Gael supporters give solid backing to water charges but a clear majority of Labour voters are against. The youngest 18-24 age category are far more opposed to property tax and water charges than older people, who are more likely to be affected.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/1019/1224325459089.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

€27 more that they are not getting from me and counting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

A new poll finds strong opposition to both property taxes plus water charges-Fine Gael voters/supporters are found to to be more supportive of proposed new taxes-meanwhile a majority of Labour voters were found to be opposed to new proposed taxes-a few of people Imcluding myself have said it here in this thread numerous times-Labour proceed with these taxes at their own peril and alienate your voters at next local/general elections.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/1019/1224325459089.html

Poll finds people dont want to pay more taxes. :eek:

donalg1 wrote: »

It'll be hard to implement it when the 'vast majority' (66%) are strongly opposed to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

thats not what it said,

shows strong opposition across the board to the Government’s plan to introduce a property tax and water charges next year.

i'm opposed to property tax, but not to paying more tax(even though it makes me a bit sick:(). i think many on this thread have expressed similar views.

Ghandee wrote: »
    It'll be hard to implement it when the 'vast majority' (66%) are strongly opposed to it.

I wouldnt imagine so, it will be hard to collect it but not implement it.

If enough oppose it, the govt cannot collect it, the govt will have to scrap it.

Ghandee wrote: »
    If enough oppose it, the govt cannot collect it, the govt will have to scrap it.

Ah I dont know there is a high enough percentage of people after paying the HHC for them not to scrap it so I dont think the property taxes will be any different really.

Yeah maybe for a competent government. If it didnt look like they were taking the country for a ride by leaving there own net pay and allowances and that of there buddys out of the austerity measures then they would get more compliance.

bgrizzley wrote: »
    thats not what it said,

shows strong opposition across the board to the Government’s plan to introduce a property tax and water charges next year.

i'm opposed to property tax, but not to paying more tax(even though it makes me a bit sick:(). i think many on this thread have expressed similar views.

Which means they are opposed to paying more taxes which is what I said.

• Advertisement

Yeah maybe for a competent government. If it didnt look like they were taking the country for a ride by leaving there own net pay and allowances and that of there buddys out of the austerity measures then they would get more compliance.

I seriously doubt that people arent going to consider someone elses salary when deciding if they should pay a self declaration tax.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement