Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jimmy Saville exposed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

So do I, and so do most of us. And no doubt so did many people in the BBC. Who's to say there weren't people trying to blow the whistle? But powerful forces obviously stood in their way, and unless we were there, how can we know what we would have been capable of doing? I suppose I'm referring more to the little people rather than those who had the power to do something.

Re the John Peel stuff: wow, some admissions there. He wasn't best known for that Saturday morning show btw - disingenuous comment by the Mail trying to implicate him in a systematic culture of grooming and manipulating minors into engaging in sex acts. What he admitted to doing in America is messed up (a matter for the police) but they were consenting. Not that he should have accepted, but it is not the same thing as the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2213636/Uncle-Jimmy-took-sick-parties-Nephew-tells-childhood-stolen-13.html

that's the worst part of it for me-if the kids were being supplied(so to speak) from children's homes and orphanages, and being abused on-site as well ,more than likely

there were obviously paedophile connections in these institutions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I read a book about the punk scene in America in the 1970s. Most of the musicians regularly had sex with underage girls. There was a club in LA where no alcohol was served, filled with teenage runaways looking for rock stars to have sex with.

The John Peel revelations are more shocking for someone like me. I can easily dismiss Saville as a grotesque perv, but when it's someone you hitherto admired it challenges your preconceptions and prejudices.

Some groupies were 13/14. Songs were written about that phenomenon. See the thing in that Mail article about the free gift with the Alice Cooper record? Ew...

Kids wanting sex with musicians/journos/broadcasters and said adults honouring such requests was a norm in rock circles - a disturbing one nonetheless. Doubtful it's completely obsolete today, but at least the police would be more vigilant thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I just got a nice bargain at the JJB closing down sale, a lovely Jimmy Savile commemorative shell suit tracksuit, they only had adult sized tops left but I just managed to squeeze into a pair of children's bottoms....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

The dirty git used to tuck his horn up under the waistband of his tracksuit.
    Clever trick when you need to stand up and not get found out.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

youtube! wrote: »
    I just got a nice bargain at the JJB closing down sale, a lovely Jimmy Savile commemorative shell suit tracksuit, they only had adult sized tops left but I just managed to squeeze into a pair of children's bottoms....

BAN HIM/HER!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

BAN HIM/HER![/Quote]

Oh dear I am a small slim fella and I was talking about trackie bottoms, you have a very dirty mind! Get your thoughts out of the gutter!! Tsk tsk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Madam_X wrote: »
    Some groupies were 13/14. Songs were written about that phenomenon. See the thing in that Mail article about the free gift with the Alice Cooper record? Ew...

Kids wanting sex with musicians/journos/broadcasters and said adults honouring such requests was a norm in rock circles - a disturbing one nonetheless. Doubtful it's completely obsolete today, but at least the police would be more vigilant thankfully.

You're right, its sadly true. Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin slept with underage groupies on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

MJ23 wrote: »
    The dirty git used to tuck his horn up under the waistband of his tracksuit.
    Clever trick when you need to stand up and not get found out.

how do you know this:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

fryup wrote: »
    Starr claims his innocence in the mirror ..but look at the picture they publish of him, doesn't look his best does he
    Freddie, 69,

Jeez, he's 69 now.
    Freddie, speaking from the home he shares near Studley, Warks, with fiancee Sophie Lea, 34

Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

The lady said his breath smelled of alcohol? Hamster washed down with a robust Burgundy :D

freddie-starr-ate-my-hamster_design.png

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

The media have no shame,why make these allegations as that's all they are when the man can't defend himself.
    Why now do these supposed victims come out of the woodwork,they claim it's to
    Get closure but surely closure can only be had when the person is alive and justice can be done if a crime ever existed.
    They are looking for a pay off and it's disgraceful that the media are attacking a man that can no longer defend himself,cowards and now his name is ruined to be ridiculed but no mention of the thousands of lives he saved through his charity work etc.
    It's a witch hunt to fill newspapers.

Sappa wrote: »
    The media have no shame,why make these allegations as that's all they are when the man can't defend himself.
    Get closure but surely closure can only be had when the person is alive and justice can be done if a crime ever existed.
    They are looking for a pay off and it's disgraceful that the media are attacking a man that can no longer defend himself,cowards and now his name is ruined to be ridiculed but no mention of the thousands of lives he saved through his charity work etc.

total bs

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭AlarmBelle

rubbish just because he saved lives does not give hin the right to abuse others. What pay off are the non victims who back their story looking for?

Dismissively sneering "Why did those allegedly abused only come forward after he died?" is thick and ignorant as sh1t.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Oh dear, it's all the media's fault. Again.

Am curious. Does your closure criteria apply to the victims of Bloody Sunday, for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

In fairness there has been allegations against him for years, the cops even interviewed him a few times so its not like all this came from nowhere.

As i said a few times already it doesn't make much of a difference that he is dead. There is no physical evidence so he would have just denied it and we would be in the exact same situation as we are now of either believing he was guilty or that all those women are liars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

I read a book about the punk scene in America in the 1970s. Most of the musicians regularly had sex with underage girls. There was a club in LA where no alcohol was served, filled with teenage runaways looking for rock stars to have sex with.

The John Peel revelations are more shocking for someone like me. I can easily dismiss Saville as a grotesque perv, but when it's someone you hitherto admired it challenges your preconceptions and prejudices.

Yeah, I've read about all the underage sex going on in the rock scene back then too. What's worrying is that, unsurprisingly, a lot of the girls taking part seemed to be from troubled backgrounds or had less than vigilant parents so seemed lost, hence going astray, and these fully grown adults were more than happy to take advantage of these vulnerable girls. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

is it, what about the people who covered it all up over the years ?they will have broken the law and should not get away with it .dig him up and put him on trail..i say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

youtube! wrote: »

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqqp8lxvUB1qz7mamo4_r1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Momento Mori

cover up upon cover up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Stuff like all the revelations that are coming out always make me feel like the underage girls/boys, even if they are willing, are always going to come out worst from these things. They're maybe vulnerable, and don't have a cushy, elevated position. They are disposable. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

"now then, now then"

I wonder if there will be much demand for these, this Halloween

http://www.fancydresscostumeshop.ie/mens_fancy_dress_costumes_jimmy_saville_fancy-dress-costumes?cPath=1450_1489

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I heard a gang of dyslexic vigilantes have gathered outside Jimmy Somerville's house.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

I heard they brought out a tracksuit in honor of him and his life.
    Its an adult size top but you have to squeeze into kids bottoms.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Rigol wrote: »
    I heard they brought out a tracksuit in honor of him and his life.
    Its an adult size top but you have to squeeze into kids bottoms.

GTFO, not now but RIGHT now! Idiot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Prick! wrote: »
    think i heard they don't take 'em away posthumously
    apparently he's not a sir since he died

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I thought only the catholic church in ireland engaged in child abuse and cover ups?
    ester rantzen admitted in an interview that 'there were rumours' about him, yet nothing was done

Advertisement