Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reintroduce the Death Penalty in Ireland

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

The death penalty will never return to this country. I see this as progress. two wrongs don't make a right.

The sentences, on the other hand, need to be upgraded. The more serious the crime, the longer time served.

Denying a criminal the basic freedom to decide what they will do with their future, is, imo, the best way to punish them for their crime.

In the long run, maybe they will see the error of their ways, maybe they won't, but at least, if the sentences given were proportionate to the crime they commited, they will have been justly punished.

In my opinion, this is a fair way of dealing with the situation.

Murdering them solves nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭CillianL

We should introduce the death penalty as a way of making savings to keep the troika happy.We should convert an ESB power station over from burning fossil fuels to burning junkies and wasters, which would save us both fuel and long term welfare bills. It would be deadweight of the country's back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I dont agree with the death penalty but I do agree the law here in ireland is much too leniant

I would be in favour of setting up something like in the movie no escape with ray liotta and just let the scum get on with it amongst themselves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7IZDKk89M0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/09/28/justice/louisiana-inmate-exonerated/index.html?hpt=hp_c4

A Louisiana man who spent 15 years on death row for a murder he did not commit was released Friday from prison in an exoneration brought about by the Innocence Project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I don't say anyone who commits a serious crime should get the death penalty. It should only be reserved for the very few who are absolutely sick in the head and from whom there is no doubt towards their guilt.

Like for people like the Fritzl guy or people who head gangs, drug lords etc. whose actions and crimes have serious impact on the well being of the society.

I don't see the point of life imprisonment. Probably the only thing about it is you're giving the person hope that maybe somewhere down the line he'll get his act together and will eventually be able to live a normal life. And life in prison is just not going to be pretty for serious criminals anyway. Paedophiles and sick people live in a constant fear of being assaulted and killed by fellow inmates, gang/drug lords either get assaulted and/or killed by inmates of rival gangs or end up trying to figure out ways to continue their crimes while in prison.

And then there's the whole cost to the state of looking after a person in prison for the rest of his life and then there's no space in prison for inmates because they're full and they become over crowded which leads to further tensions among the inmates.

In a way it is more humane and possibly better for the state and the society if serious criminals whose guilt has been established without any matter of doubt are just simply executed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

CillianL wrote: »
    We should introduce the death penalty as a way of making savings to keep the troika happy.We should convert an ESB power station over from burning fossil fuels to burning junkies and wasters, which would save us both fuel and long term welfare bills. It would be deadweight of the country's back!

Resists temptation to do a Godwin's... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Wow look at all the economically and socially advanced nations who have the death penalty.

deathpenaltymaplarge.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,141 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

It should only be reserved for the very few who are absolutely sick in the head.
    we have mental institutions for them.
    whom there is no doubt towards their guilt.
    which is nobody really. when it comes to the death penalty, doesn't matter how sure, theirs no need for it, its backward and outdated, end of, and it would be more costly then life in prison.
    people who head gangs, drug lords etc. whose actions and crimes have serious impact on the well being of the society.
    well having drugs illegal has a more serious impact on the well being of society, if we legalised them not only would the drug gangs have nothing to deal in (apart from bootleg ciggarettes) but we could control them and set standards.
    I don't see the point of life imprisonment. Probably the only thing about it is you're giving the person hope that maybe somewhere down the line he'll get his act together and will eventually be able to live a normal life.
    and if he/she is innocent, your giving one hope that maybe one day they will be released, if their executed they can't be brought back.
    there's the whole cost to the state of looking after a person in prison for the rest of his life
    worth every penny compared to a backward outdated uncivilised punishment.
    there's no space in prison for inmates because they're full and they become over crowded which leads to further tensions among the inmates.your giving one hope
    so build more.
    In a way it is more humane
    no, either taking a life is wrong or it isn't, you can't on the one hand say what he did was wrong but then say oh but we can do the exact same thing, it means the state and the society which supports it has no credibility.
    possibly better for the state and the society if serious criminals whose guilt has been established without any matter of doubt are just simply executed.

yeah, for an uncivilised society maybe, not for a supposibly forward thinking modern society like ireland, no guilt could be established without any matter of doubt to satisfy the use of the death penalty.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

It's my belief that there's some very archaic Victorian attitudes on display here. I do hope we'll move on. I was reading an old medical journal from the 19th century once; it recommended these 3 "cures" for epilepsy - castration, lobotomy, committed to an asylum. If I'd been around then, I'd be balls free and brainless in bedlam :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I think the death penalty should be implemented for people who when in government or former government positions are found to have been corrupt for personal gain etc.

Advertisement