Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reintroduce the Death Penalty in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

MagicSean wrote: »
    People who commit violent acts and repeat offenders of petty crime need to be punished more severely. Heinous crimes should have mandatory sentances with no early release.

At a certain point it becomes more important to protect the public than to try rehabilitate someone who has no interest in it.

I LOVE the second part of this statement; you have totally put your finger right on the wriggling maggot. .. They have NO INTEREST in obeying the law or respecting others .

After 5,10,15,20...80,90 convictions: as is frequently the case why should WE support them or case. The damage done to the victim can rarely be repaired; why support & nurture recidivist criminals & violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Plus, it'd may make people think twice before they execute their murderous intentions.

How? Murderers are one of two categories, criminals or people who are mentally unstable, the first group live with the threat of getting killed every day and the second group aren't thinking logically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

That's a very sweeping statement & the prisons arefull of people who ARNT criminally insane so perhaps you 're not quite correct on those " facts".

Rapists. Pedophiles. They're not murderers but I've no doubt & from what I see here they would be also for strong consideration for the pot : or plot.

How about men who smash into old peoples houses & terrorise them, beat them up & leave them afraid to live alone for the rest if theirdays, or leave them mutilated ; or indeed murdered.

Cowards & scumbags.

Murder is the final crime, but not the worst crime. There are also worse things than dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The death penalty will make a scumbags think twice about sliding a knife into someone for the sake of a €50 note.
    no it won't, deterrents don't work.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

In the long run it will. Plus, it'd may make people think twice before they execute their murderous intentions.
    America has a much higher crime rate than Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

America has a much higher crime rate than Ireland.

So? America isn't Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

Dont agree with the introduction of the death penalty in Ireland, agree that sentences should be very severe. Murder, attempted murder, rape and international drug trafficing should get life as in life, no parole.

Just out of interest could the justice minister bring in mandatory life sentences in the morning? .... Or how would it happen ( if the will was there)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pablocc

no librals who hsvent been robbed yet sory but just no. rethink urs strategy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

That's a very sweeping statement & the prisons arefull of people who ARNT criminally insane so perhaps you 're not quite correct on those " facts".

Rapists. Pedophiles. They're not murderers but I've no doubt & from what I see here they would be also for strong consideration for the pot : or plot.

How about men who smash into old peoples houses & terrorise them, beat them up & leave them afraid to live alone for the rest if theirdays, or leave them mutilated ; or indeed murdered.

Cowards & scumbags.

Murder is the final crime, but not the worst crime. There are also worse things than dying.

So you're suggesting were the death penalty to be brought back it wouldn't just be for murder???

To clarify by mentally unstable, I meant crimes of 'passion' which are not premeditated, ie. the murderers are not thinking clearly at that time, that is not to say they are legally insane or shouldn't face punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's about proper justice.
    and life in prison is exactly that, the death penalty is uncivilised, old fashioned, outdated, and no longer fit for a civilised world.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭michelleling

Only if they have to serve twenty years in prison first and only for the sickest of crimes i.e. raping and killing a child, serial Killer etc...

On another note I also think that breaking into someones house should carry a minimum sentence of 10 years.

I agree with you but not all. Killing someone regardless of their age is totally unacceptable! I wouldn't want anybody to Kill my Granny, nor my child, nor me. Any murder should carry a minimum of 70 years to never getting released.

Human life means so much!, so much that nobody should be deprived of that, and yet the perpetrator gets a low sentence?

I am against Death Penalty simply because, Human Life again means so much!

Everybody deserves to live. Around here people see child's murder as the sickest of crime, like you, but I see any murder as the sickest of crime!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

BattleCorp wrote: »

And your point about saying it doesn't prevent crime. The guy put to death won't be reoffending any time soon eh?

I think what they meant was it doesn't deter other people from offending.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Much as I'd like to, this country values life..

even that of a lowlife. I'd argue, in Ireland life should mean life if we value it so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Yup....lets start with the scumbags!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

bluewolf wrote: »
    The state should absolutely not have that kind of power over people particularly given its incompetence in other areas. Aside from it being wrong on sheer principle, one innocent person dying as a result is one too many.

The thing is it's not even other areas. The amount of threads on here giving out about the justice system itself is huge. Between soft sentences for sex crimes, unlimited get out of jail free cards for repeat offenders and judges in the news for derogatory comments would you really trust them with the ultimate power?

Just to say also that as above I disagree with the whole thing on principal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,274 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Maybe instead of the death penalty have prison sentences that fit the crime like in the States.

Murder- 25 to life

Rape- 25 to life

Child rapists/molesters- concrete block, rope and a deep lake.

Maybe instead of the death penalty have prison sentences that fit the crime like in the States.

Murder- 25 to life

Rape- 25 to life

Child rapists/molesters- concrete block, rope and a deep lake.

Again any rape is rape regardless if its a child, an adult or a granny!.. Everybody deserves not to be raped, and should face equal consequences as of a childs'

Maybe my mind is different or is it?

I'd rather want the opposite of what millions of people wants here.

1. Commit murder regardless if it is a child or not and end up to Life without the possibility if Parole.

2. Commit rape and get 15 years to Life

Why is that my verdict: Well Life is simply the greatest gift we all have and should never be taking away from us regardless your age!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    liberals....

conservatives who just havent been mugged or attacked yet...

Lovely Sound Bite.
    I was mugged twice, ended up in hospital one of those times and had a friend killed by a joy rider. I'm still a liberal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

I never expect that the number of those agreeing with the death penalty would be anywhere near 38%. Way to go AH!! Let's hope that that percentage is over 40% this time next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

In my opinion, the punishment of a crime ought to be proportional to the crime itself. I believe that this should be a firm and unwavering legal principle. Therefore, in the case of clear intentional murder, I think that the death penalty ought to be established.

No one has pointed it out yet but it is possible to have sentences proportional to crimes without them being the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

There is no justice in the death penalty, only revenge. I would never support to have it re-introduced, no matter what the crime. It has no place in modern society.

BTW, 12 Angry Men from 1957 is a terrific film that makes a great argument against the death penalty. Worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Death penalty should never be reintroduced, there are cases however where life should mean life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

jaja321 wrote: »
    There is no justice in the death penalty, only revenge. I would never support to have it re-introduced, no matter what the crime. It has no place in modern society.

Agree 100%.

Nobody has the right to take someone else's life and with execution that's exactly what you're doing. It's state-sponsored murder.

If a person commits a heinous crime then they pay for it with the loss of their freedom and independence, and that in itself is a heavy price to pay, especially if you're facing being locked up for a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

An eye for an eye will only make the whole world go blind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I have to say I do perceive some compelling arguments in favour of the death penalty. People have accused any vague sympathy for the introduction of the death penalty as being motivated only by a desire for revenge, and suggest that some people should simply spend the rest of their lives behind bars. I find that a little ironic. On a purely practical point of view, what's the point of having a man languishing behind bars for the rest of his days, if not revenge?

In that sense, the death penalty is in itself, merely a practical manoeuvre.

On balance, however, I am opposed to the death penalty because of the risk of making an error in arriving at such an irreversible, final solution. I couldn't conscientiously support it. There's also no evidence to suggest it works to reduce crime.

To sum up, there is a compelling argument for the death penalty as a matter of practicality, but this is necessarily outweighed by the adverse risks and dubious societal benefits that accrue from its implementation.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

I never expect that the number of those agreeing with the death penalty would be anywhere near 38%. Way to go AH!! Let's hope that that percentage is over 40% this time next year!

Wouldn't be concerned, keyboard warriors are a notoriously unreliable cross-sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,274 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Again any rape is rape regardless if its a child, an adult or a granny!.. Everybody deserves not to be raped, and should face equal consequences as of a childs'

Of course rape is terrible no matter who it happens to but some who rapes/kills an innocent kid deserves special treatment IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭GalwayGirl00

Yes, this should be considered. But I don't think the death penalty should be administered directly after the trial. Perhaps a 10-15 years waiting period in prison to allow for any appeals or new evidence to emerge if any.

So we should pay for these criminals and give them free legal aid for 10-15 years,before applying the death penalty?? No thank you, 2 years tops and invest the money in preparing our forensic teams and other areas involved to ensure they are better equipped and lessen the likelihood of errors. no way should these type of criminals live that long at our expense. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

later12 wrote: »
    On a purely practical point of view, what's the point of having a man languishing behind bars for the rest of his days, if not revenge?
    Prevention from re-offending
    In that sense, the death penalty is in itself, merely a practical manoeuvre.
    I'm sure "killing people I don't like" sounds practical, but it's fairly monstrous.

Advertisement