Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Tow

Be more specific on the destination no made up names or roads and try use the road you will actually be traveling on instead of roads far away from the actual route

You can't get more specific than "O'Connell Street" and still be charged different fares. Ask for "Cabra at the shops" and some are still confused. Asking for St. Peters Church on the 46A from outside UCD only causes a look of confusion and a random button being pressed. The only problem with saying 1.70 etc please is when the ticket machine setup to go the wrong direction.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,316 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭IrishCule

jrmb wrote: »
    There are 2 different numbers attached to that card - the number of the Student Travel Card (top right) and its serial number as a leap card (bottom right, much longer). Have you entered the right one?

I've been using my new Student Travel Card as a leap card for the past few days and I've had no difficulties, except that the Veolia staff didn't seem to know what it was!

After asking around it seems it takes a while for the travel card to work or something, to be activated maybe? A few of my friends in college have said this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Delta2113

If I go to my local shop and buy a leap card and say top up by €25 so a total of €30 - will I get a receipt automatically? I would be worried without no receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I'd imagine that would be up to the shop. Afaik shops have to provide receipts upon request.

• Advertisement

Delta2113 wrote: »
    If I go to my local shop and buy a leap card and say top up by €25 so a total of €30 - will I get a receipt automatically? I would be worried without no receipt.

You get a document similar to a mobile phone top-up. It states that it is for Leap and the amount.

I got my leap card today and a Leap Card Purchase Receipt - all very nice and above board. I was surprised with the following bit Card Expiry: 12/12/2016 - what happens then? Will I need a new card?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

Delta2113 wrote: »
    I got my leap card today and a Leap Card Purchase Receipt - all very nice and above board. I was surprised with the following bit Card Expiry: 12/12/2016 - what happens then? Will I need a new card?

I never knew about that. Hopefully they'll have upgraded the system a great deal before then anyway. They posted a free Leap card to anyone who used to have a Luas or Irish Rail smartcard and perhaps the same thing will happen again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Batteries do wear out in contactless smart cards eventually and need replacing, 4 years is a very short time to expect them to last though.

My work ID that gets a hell of a lot more use than even a commuters Leap is ~6 years old and works fine; my Oyster which gets very little use is about the same age; both work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

MYOB wrote: »
    Batteries do wear out in contactless smart cards eventually and need replacing, 4 years is a very short time to expect them to last though.

My work ID that gets a hell of a lot more use than even a commuters Leap is ~6 years old and works fine; my Oyster which gets very little use is about the same age; both work fine.

The expiry date is not of any concern, the date can be moved forward by just using the card, its not hardwired in

The card is powered through magnetic induction by the presence of a radio field on the reader device - no battery within

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Maybe this is a stupid question but when you use the Leap card on Dublin Bus and you place the card on the driver's leap card reader, how do you know when the fare has been deducted and you can remove the card?

I've never heard a beep or anything (is there a beep?) and this morning the bus driver called me back and sounded quite irritated with me because he said I took it away too quickly and didnt give the machine a chance to read it.

It should beep, but it is usually inaudible.

There is however a green light that should come one, but that isn't always visible.

Finally, there is the display text, which should change, but that isn't always visible either.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

hollypink wrote: »
    Maybe this is a stupid question but when you use the Leap card on Dublin Bus and you place the card on the driver's leap card reader, how do you know when the fare has been deducted and you can remove the card?

I've never heard a beep or anything (is there a beep?) and this morning the bus driver called me back and sounded quite irritated with me because he said I took it away too quickly and didnt give the machine a chance to read it.

Hollypink,you don't,and neither does the Busdriver.

This is one of the very first deficiencies of the system flagged up by Drivers from Day 1.

This thread of 12 months ago.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75783647

Post #110 onwards.
    Lxflyer: I do think that an audible beep is important as everyone then knows that "a fare" has been deducted from the card. I would take Stevek101's point that you need to look at the screen to see what fare has been deducted.

Using oyster in London you get a very audible beep and that at least leaves no one in any doubt.

The situation has now developed and worsened as users, become familiar with the card and as a result become faster in it's use.
    In addition many users still use Leapcard as a "Swipe" card which causes all sorts of Bad Reads and conflicts.

The requirement for a definite audible signal is SO basic and necessary for efficient operation as to be mind-boggling by its absence....sadly more evidense of disinterest and a "we know best" attitude on the part5 of the ITIG.

It,s also worthwhile noting that NO internal mechanism exists for Driver feedback to go directly to Leapcard. :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Ah well I dont feel completely stupid now! The driver spoke to me like I was a bit of an idiot so I thought I must have missed something obvious.

I've never seen a green light or heard a beep. I did see some display text today but it was difficult to read (other times I havent been able to see it at all, not sure if its the angle and my height).

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

What is the policy of drivers refusing to let you on when your leapcard is under? I was €0.75 over drawn and driver wasn't going to let me on, I had said I'm heading into town and will top up also DB don't lose out on anything as when I top up it's taken out of card already. for a €1.25 trip

I've been by more in pass think most was under €2.75

You need a positive balance to start a trip. You also need to have enough money to pay the fare, where the fare is more than €5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

mtjm wrote: »
    What is the policy of drivers refusing to let you on when your leapcard is under? I was €0.75 over drawn and driver wasn't going to let me on, I had said I'm heading into town and will top up also DB don't lose out on anything as when I top up it's taken out of card already. for a €1.25 trip

I've been by more in pass think most was under €2.75

If you have at least 1 cent on your card(excluding the €5 deposit) you should be allowed to make one journey only as long as it is not on the Airlink as for the airlink you need at least €1 credit on your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Just went to register a Leap Card I bought yesterday but its only letting me enter 10 digits in the card number text field on the web site even though there is 14 digits on the card. Anybody else encounter this problem?

EDIT - Found this earlier in the thread. Talk about confusing??
    markpb wrote: »
    You probably already know this but you don't need to enter your whole card number, I think you leave off the last 3-4 digits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think the last 4 digits are a production reference. Nothing to do with the identifying the card at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Surely it would be easier to just allow the whole string of numbers to be written, then have it coded so the last 4 are ignored. Much more user friendly imo. They dont ask you to type in your visa number, but ignore the last 4 digits

• Advertisement

MarkMc wrote: »
    Surely it would be easier to just allow the whole string of numbers to be written, then have it coded so the last 4 are ignored. Much more user friendly imo. They dont ask you to type in your visa number, but ignore the last 4 digits

I'm afraid MarkMc,that it is increasingly as if Leapcard's current proprietors have little notion of just what the capabilities of their system actually are.

Almost at every turn they seek to frustrate these capabilities,when they NEED to be out in the marketplace shouting loudly from the Bus Stops !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

On my last 2 journey's in to town - i should have been charged €2.10 and only got charged €1.90 - i clearly stated 'town' and then the next time i wasn't charged a fare at all on my leapcard so yes leapcard is great.

Dublin Bus must be losing money - it show's how stupid it is that you cant 'tag' the card (on and off if necessary).

After posting this I'll end up getting overcharged on the next trip. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

I got refused travel on Dublin Bus because my card only had €1.30 and the fare was €1.90. He said my card did not have enough money on it. I have travelled with 10c on my card before without hassle. Very embarrassing in a long queue. Not impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I got refused travel on Dublin Bus because my card only had €1.30 and the fare was €1.90. He said my card did not have enough money on it.

Not sure how this is different to someone without enough cash to pay the fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Not sure how this is different to someone without enough cash to pay the fare.

It was my understanding that you could travel if you card had a positive balance. Which I have done before. Travelled with 10c on it before.

"What if I run out of money on my Travel Credit whilst I am travelling?

You will be able to complete that journey however; you must add Travel Credit (Top Up) to your card before you can use it for another journey."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

It was my understanding that you could travel if you card had a positive balance. Which I have done before. Travelled with 10c on it before.

"What if I run out of money on my Travel Credit whilst I am travelling?

You will be able to complete that journey however; you must add Travel Credit (Top Up) to your card before you can use it for another journey."

I thought there was more to the rule, that you could go below a threshold, but couldn't use it again while below that threshold. Or maybe that was the just the old LUAS smart cards?

Does your fare not just come out of your 5€ Deposit if you have no credit left on the leapcard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

The fare should come out of the €5 deposit. Are you 100% sure your balance wasn't -€1.30, easy to overlook, I know I have

MarkMc wrote: »
    The fare should come out of the €5 deposit. Are you 100% sure your balance wasn't -€1.30, easy to overlook, I know I have

This is one of the most prevalent elements of Leapcard on-bus "Confrontations".

Just for clarity...If you board the bus with a Leapcard showing €1 credit and seek a €2.45 fare,then it will be issued no-problem.

€1.45 will then be deducted from the €5 deposit and your card will show this as a minus figure when next presented.

At this point,no further transaction can occur on this card until the - element is topped back up and the deposit returned to €5.

If you then top-up with €10,the €1.45 will be reapplied to your deposit,and your available credit will show €8.55.

Leapcard users really do need an on-street facility,similiar to Supermarket Aisle Price-Check readers which can update their cards AND show the available balance.

Yet again I would suggest that the RTPI poles are sitting there with a big USE-ME placard tied to them,but,for whatever reason,the NTA feel that keeping Leapcard functionality well concealed is the way-to-go.

Bizzarre stuff,but official policy it seems.....only Mr Varadakar really knows :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

AlekSmart wrote: »

This is one of the most prevalent elements of Leapcard on-bus "Confrontations".

Just for clarity...If you board the bus with a Leapcard showing €1 credit and seek a €2.45 fare,then it will be issued no-problem.

€1.45 will then be deducted from the €5 deposit and your card will show this as a minus figure when next presented.

At this point,no further transaction can occur on this card until the - element is topped back up and the deposit returned to €5.

If you then top-up with €10,the €1.45 will be reapplied to your deposit,and your available credit will show €8.55.
    As the other poster stated they had a positive balance and therefore had not already used the deposit function on their leap card so the bus driver was mistaken in refusing to allow them to travel.

Are drivers mistaking the deposit of €5 for a requirement to have a minimum positive balance of €5 on your leap card? What would give them that notion apart from canteen gossip?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement