Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gagnam Style - Korean Pop star takes over the world

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,127 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

He took over the world three weeks ago, where have you been! :P

I live here in South Korea and it's been Gangnam Style fever for nigh on two months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Open Condom Style :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

wow you are really behind the curve on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

youtube sensation hipsters are the new hipsters :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

3p0sjj.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Did someone say Hipsters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

3p0sjj.jpg

Ahh Nerds who live there life on the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the live version is great too, thousands of Koreans (the nice ones) going mental

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I give him another month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

damn it the more i hear it the more i like it

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

Could not stop laughing at this!

Got great moves for a bear..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,127 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

krudler wrote: »
    the live version is great too, thousands of Koreans (the nice ones) going mental

Thats unreal! Id be going fcking mental if i was there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Still waiting for the Jimmy's Winning Matches mashup.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Jaysus.. I've been wondering for the past couple of weeks what the **** this meme was about.

I just kept seeing random pictures of a slightly rotund korean in sunglasses for no good reason.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Open Condom Style :pac:

Exactly what I hear too....

ScumLord wrote: »
    I give him another month.

This song is from his 7th studio album. This song is nearing 270 million views on youtube. He was signed in the states by Justin Biebers manager. He has appeared on TV shows in America, and is probably hella wealthy by now.Egg on your face much?

Congrats on your boards.ie moderatorship though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

My wife and I love this guy.

Apparently the lyrics, when translated, are a send-up of wealthy South Korean culture - Gangnam being the most wealthy area in the country. Kind of like a Korean Ross O'Carroll Kelly, except not done to death.

Here's a making of video. There's a lot of laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Any video (and following parodies/tributes) that provides so many dancing Korean ladies cannot be bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

This one has its moments-

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

A few month's back, one of my mates was back from Korea, and he said that we had to check out this song. He admitted it was his guilty pleasure, and also weirdly predicted that if he saw any K-Pop song taking off internationally, this would be it.... Of course we all laughed at him, and even more so at the song and video (we may have been slightly intoxicated at the time, making it even funnier), but my God, I was out last weekend and I heard it in the Nightclub. This is getting out of hand folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Lyrics explained here
    So "Oppan Gangnam style" means "(girls!) Older brother is Gangnam
    style," and Gangnam is the richest district in Korea full of expensive condos many of which are well over US $2 million dollars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Andy!! wrote: »
    This song is from his 7th studio album. This song is nearing 270 million views on youtube. He was signed in the states by Justin Biebers manager. He has appeared on TV shows in America, and is probably hella wealthy by now.Egg on your face much?

Anyone remember when Rick Astley tried to make a comeback? These internet meme things have a lifespan of about 5 minutes. They become so overexposed in such a short space of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

He's on his 6th album... he was bound to make a break at some point :D

snausages wrote: »

Anyone remember when Rick Astley tried to make a comeback? These internet meme things have a lifespan of about 5 minutes. They become so overexposed in such a short space of time.

Yeah except he isnt a meme is he, hes a musician.

Oh and smash, his previous albums did quite well in Korea back in the day, just cause he has turned up under your nose doesnt mean he has finally 'made it'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Oh and smash, his previous albums did quite well in Korea back in the day, just cause he has turned up under your nose doesnt mean he has finally 'made it'.

No, you're wrong.... my opinion is all that counts :pac:

Rick Astley isn't a 'meme' either. Memes are transitory, this guy might continue to be big business for quite a while in South Korea but "Gangam Style" most likely will not

Sorry smash, gotta keep reminding myself to not feed the trolls! ;P
    snausages wrote: »

Rick Astley isn't a 'meme' either. Memes are transitory, this guy might continue to be big business for quite a while in South Korea but "Gangam Style" most likely will not

Uuummmm..... is that not how songs normally work?

• Advertisement

Sorry smash, gotta keep reminding myself to not feed the trolls! ;P

Uuummmm..... is that not how songs normally work?

Sure, but quirky internet fad songs are notorious for blowing up fast and burning out just as quickly. Once people tire of this song it's likely that no-one will care about him anymore, at least not outside of South korea.

Advertisement