Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Schools Rugby 2012-2013 [Provincial Schools Thread Link in Post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leinster5

The champs St. Michaels kick start their pre season at home this weekend on Saturday against CBC Monkstown. Might watch it with a mate of mine who's little brother is starting for CBC.

Got to watch the Michaels v CBC Monkstown earlier. Michaels were very impressive considering they were missing roughly 10 starters, or so I was told. Michaels dominated the set-piece and most of the game. 2, 3 and 13 for Michaels were impressive. Very few CBC players stood out, their 7 had a decent showing.

Anybody have any idea when Michaels face Terenure, or when Rock face Clongowes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Leinster5 wrote: »
    Got to watch the Michaels v CBC Monkstown earlier. Michaels were very impressive considering they were missing roughly 10 starters, or so I was told. Michaels dominated the set-piece and most of the game. 2, 3 and 13 for Michaels were impressive. Very few CBC players stood out, their 7 had a decent showing.

Anybody have any idea when Michaels face Terenure, or when Rock face Clongowes ?

Terenure v Michaels is scheduled for 29th of this month in Michaels, will be interesting to see as both teams will still not have their inter-pro players back

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭specttator

Is that the case re return of interpro players? i thought they would be free after Wed next the last of the three matches.

specttator wrote: »
    Is that the case re return of interpro players? i thought they would be free after Wed next the last of the three matches.

I think the 18's are finished some time next week, so I'd imagine they could be back for it. But from what I was told yesterday at the game, Leinster 19's don't finish up for another few weeks.

• Advertisement

specttator wrote: »

I think the 18's are finished some time next week, so I'd imagine they could be back for it. But from what I was told yesterday at the game, Leinster 19's don't finish up for another few weeks.
    The 19 playoffs are not till the 29th

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oldboy 92

Michaels play Clongowes on the 20th of October!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭rugbyman2015

Oldboy 92 wrote: »
    Michaels play Clongowes on the 20th of October!!!

Any idea which school is hosting?

Any idea which school is hosting?

It was in Michaels last year so assume it will be down there this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

It was in Michaels last year so assume it will be down there this year.

Terenure playing Clongowes this year which I believe they haven't done for the past couple of seasons. (in friendlies thats is)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Terenure playing Clongowes this year which I believe they haven't done for the past couple of seasons. (in friendlies thats is)
    Terenure Clongowes game is november 10th in Clongowes. Surprised that all the top schools dont play each other at least once in the pre cup games every year.
    I know its been discussed before but why do they not change the school competition format to some kind of league format. All the main schools play 15/16 games before the cup. Why cant some of those friendlies be turned into group games in an expanded schools cup competition

ormond lad wrote: »
    Terenure Clongowes game is november 10th in Clongowes. Surprised that all the top schools dont play each other at least once in the pre cup games every year.
    I know its been discussed before but why do they not change the school competition format to some kind of league format. All the main schools play 15/16 games before the cup. Why cant some of those friendlies be turned into group games in an expanded schools cup competition

There are pro's and con's for changing the format of the cup and in many ways they have in the last few years with the advent of the Vinny Murry Cup etc. But I think the fact it's a cup is what makes it so popular.

There are pro's and con's for changing the format of the cup and in many ways they have in the last few years with the advent of the Vinny Murry Cup etc. But I think the fact it's a cup is what makes it so popular.
    But surely whats best for player development should be used. The more games in competition the kids get the better as no amount of friendlies with nothing to play for make up for a game in competition.
    The ridiculous focus on a cup competition leads to many dropping out of the sport as soon as they leave the school gate at the end of 6th year.
    Adding more games benefits everyone from the players who know 1 mistake in their 1st game doesnt knock them out of the cup. coaches get more than 1 cup game. the branch gets more games to host to make money(the schools cups are big money spinners for branch)

Anyway that discussion is best left to another thread. Back to rugby
    Munsters u18 schools team to face Ulster in the last interpro tomorrow has been named.
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/10842.php

ormond lad wrote: »
    But surely whats best for player development should be used. The more games in competition the kids get the better as no amount of friendlies with nothing to play for make up for a game in competition.
    The ridiculous focus on a cup competition leads to many dropping out of the sport as soon as they leave the school gate at the end of 6th year.
    Adding more games benefits everyone from the players who know 1 mistake in their 1st game doesnt knock them out of the cup. coaches get more than 1 cup game. the branch gets more games to host to make money(the schools cups are big money spinners for branch)

Anyway that discussion is best left to another thread. Back to rugby
    Munsters u18 schools team to face Ulster in the last interpro tomorrow has been named.
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/10842.php

Think you are getting your threads mixed up here OL..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

are any of the games going to be on setanta ireland again this year?so who are the favorites this year???

are any of the games going to be on setanta ireland again this year?so who are the favorites this year???
    presume some games will be on tv. the games to be shown wont be announced until the draw is made right before xmas
    Terenure, Clongowes are main favourites.
    forgot about Michaels. theyll be v strong this year

Terenure and 'Michaels will be the two favourites IMO followed by Blackrock. Judging by interpro representation, it's a fairly weak group from Clongowes and I wouldn't consider them amongst the favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Terenure and 'Michaels will be the two favourites IMO followed by Blackrock. Judging by interpro representation, it's a fairly weak group from Clongowes and I wouldn't consider them amongst the favourites.

I'd go with that one Quint. Belvo and Mary's haven't anything to offer this year and while the Gick will be bookies' favourites I'd fancy Michael's to do two in a row. If I'm in the bookies I'll be tempted to throw a cheeky 5er on the 'Rock though as they're coming in way under the radar and have some quality players coming up through the ranks (though I'm out of the loop viz. the squad this year so will have to get down to a few games before saying anything for definite).

Any idea how the Junior Cup is shaping up this year?

Terenure were beaten 10 8 by rice college from Argentina today, neither team were great considering the weather. None of the nure provincial players were playing

Agree Quint! The Nure/Michaels group are an exceptionally talented groups and you would hope they are kept apart in the draw! Blackrock may have to wait for another year with their JCT winning group + O'Farrell. I think Clongowes may have had their day in the sun and drift away for a while. Heard Gerards caused them problems last week although I'm sure they will have improved by cup time. is there any genuine dark horses out there this year as in another Roscrea???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RugbyMan10

Agree Quint! The Nure/Michaels group are an exceptionally talented groups and you would hope they are kept apart in the draw! Blackrock may have to wait for another year with their JCT winning group + O'Farrell. I think Clongowes may have had their day in the sun and drift away for a while. Heard Gerards caused them problems last week although I'm sure they will have improved by cup time. is there any genuine dark horses out there this year as in another Roscrea???

Kilkenny are decent enough and Newbridge arent bad other then that i dont think there is!

Think judging by their interprovincial representation that Roscrea are going to give another strong showing this year.

Looking forward to the Michaels - Terenure game this weekend. Both teams should have their 18s reps back, so it should be a very interesting game. Anyone know what time is Kick off?

Looking forward to the Michaels - Terenure game this weekend. Both teams should have their 18s reps back, so it should be a very interesting game. Anyone know what time is Kick off?

I would say Terenure will but 'Michaels didn't for the corresponding fixture last year so they may not do again. Not sure about KO time but I am sure if you tweet them @stmrugby you can find out

• Registered Users Posts: 12 redsoxallday

I would say Terenure will but 'Michaels didn't for the corresponding fixture last year so they may not do again. Not sure about KO time but I am sure if you tweet them @stmrugby you can find out

Michaels are playing most of there u18s but not all. What other games are this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭gfitz95

Ko is 2pm in michaels,both teams are playin their 18s as far as i know,but no 19s players as there still involved with Leinster.Should be a cracker..

gfitz95 wrote: »
    Ko is 2pm in michaels,both teams are playin their 18s as far as i know,but no 19s players as there still involved with Leinster.Should be a cracker..

Might head along to that. Anyone know what pitch it'll be on and how you get to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Might head along to that. Anyone know what pitch it'll be on and how you get to it?

Only 3 pitches in Michaels, I'm guessing it'll be the back pitch but won't be hard to find in any case. Go in the Nutley entrance to avoid any confusion as that's where the pitches are located.

Think judging by their interprovincial representation that Roscrea are going to give another strong showing this year.

Just heard they beat Clongowes yesterday! Anyone at this game?

• Advertisement

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/tony-ward-time-running-out-for-toner-to-fulfil-towering-potential-3240523.html

Tony Ward big-upping Terenure's Billy Dardis in his article this morning. One for the Leinster Academy next season for sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement