Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

GerM wrote: »
    Also very interesting to see countries starting to declare their U20 side as their second side officially more and more. Wales, France and now SA all have nominated their underage side as their second team. The Boks making the change this year will have a big impact for the provinces future signings given that's where Irish sides have most success and focus in terms of signings. If that was the case before, Strauss wouldn't be eligible to play for Ireland. Stander too if he was to stay the three years. With the number of South Africans that come here it will definitely have an impact on the project player approach. Provinces will be forced to look at lesser players to fill the role given the 30 best young players are going to be ineligible every year. Makes Quinn Roux all the more of a find given he didn't make the U20 squad.

It only counts if both teams playing have designated their team as their second XV, so unless NZ or Aus make the change it won't have an immediate effect. Still an interesting (and I think unfortunate) change. I don't think any "under-age" representation should have an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hagz wrote: »
    Good game to start Keatley. Wildcard Dougall.

"FYP"

DeclanKidneyPA.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Good game to start Keatley. Wildcard Dougall.

"FYP"

DeclanKidneyPA.jpg
    "4 more years! 4 more years!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

GM coming on OTB shortly to discuss his book and, according to the introduction, focus on his relationship with EOS and his misgivings about the lack of creativity in the team's tactics going into RWC 2011.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

GerM wrote: »
    GM coming on OTB shortly to discuss his book and, according to the introduction, focus on his relationship with EOS and his misgivings about the lack of creativity in the team's tactics going into RWC 2011.

Did you catch it yourself? Anything of note happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Did you catch it yourself? Anything of note happen?

http://media.newstalk.ie/

It's on right now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I have to go out right now :mad:

Talking about the leg break. Reached down and found his bones in his sock with blood coming out. Double compound fracture. Sweet mother.

Very fair to EOS, admits he got a glut of caps under EOS who was very good to him generally. Things went bad later on and he feels EOS should have looked out for him in the press after 2006 France game. Says they never really had much to talk about and weren't really suited to one another and this was all played out in the media which exacerbated the situation. Admits he didn't handle it very well himself either.

Moving on to DK reign says he felt more comfortable in the camp and things were freer for him in that environment. Thought he wasn't going to get much game time in 2011 so felt he could contribute off the field and pitch his ideas to DK. Murphy wanted to go through multi-phase play but Ireland were keeping things basic and simple. Admits that possibly Ireland didn't have the time to establish such a detailed game plan.

Overall, if GM wants another career after rugby, he could be a politician! McDevitt consistently put quotes from the book to him and he constantly talked around them and was very reluctant to back those quotes up with reasoning and seemed to backtrack from them more than anything. Sounded like he was very unwilling to put anyone's nose out of joint. Meh.

McDevitt took it very easy on him! Vincent Browne would have been better! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I find scoring zero points in a test match implies there is an issue with the offence as well.

At 60-0 I'd go so far as to say the problem is even deeper than either the attack or defence coach.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'd hope we'll see some new faces in the team to play Fiji, depending on how they go over the next few weeks I'd be disapointed if we don't see at least some of the young lads playing well at the moment. Guys like Luke Marshall, Luke O'Dea and Lewis Stevenson plus the others who are playing well and winning games for their provinces while the internationals rest up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

George Hook (yeah, I know) tears strips off Murphy's book in a review in today's Times.

George Hook (yeah, I know) tears strips off Murphy's book in a review in today's Times.

Ah, Hook and EOS go way back though so would take it with a pinch of salt. Hook is unable to be a professional in any capacity.

There are a number of players named in the squad who missed the summer tour including Paul O'Connell, Stephen Ferris, Tom Court and Tommy Bowe.

In addition there are some players who did play in June but who are sitting this camp out to either rehab on current minor injuries or to finish off their pre season, such as Rob Kearney. There are also longer term absentees such as Luke Fitzgerald and Sean O'Brien but overall the squad generally contains two players per position.

Ireland Training Squad (33):
    Rory Best (Banbridge - Ulster)
    Tommy Bowe (Belfast Harlequins - Ulster)
    Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins - Ulster)
    Tom Court (Malone - Ulster)
    Sean Cronin (Lansdowne - Leinster)
    Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne - Leinster)
    Keith Earls (Young Munster - Munster)
    Stephen Ferris (Dungannon - Ulster)
    Declan Fitzpatrick (Dungannon - Ulster)
    Cian Healy (Clontarf - Leinster)
    Jamie Heaslip (Naas - Leinster)
    Iain Henderson (Queens University - Ulster)
    Chris Henry (Belfast Harlequins- Ulster)
    Denis Hurley (Dolphin- Munster)
    Luke Marshall (Ballymena - Ulster)
    Conor Murray (Garryowen - Munster)
    Mike McCarthy (Buccaneers - Connacht)
    Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere - Leinster)
    Kevin McLaughlin (St. Mary's College - Leinster)
    David O'Callaghan (Dolphin - Munster)
    Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution - Munster)
    Paul O'Connell (Young Munster - Munster)
    Brian O'Driscoll (UCD - Leinster)
    Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution - Munster)
    Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution - Munster)
    Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne - Leinster)
    Mike Ross (Clontarf - Leinster)
    Donnacha Ryan (Shannon - Munster)
    Jonathan Sexton (St.Mary's College - Leinster)
    Andrew Trimble (Ballymena - Ulster)
    Dan Tuohy (Ballymena - Ulster)
    Damien Varley (Garryowen - Munster)
    Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution - Munster)

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/27189.php

Broken Down:

FORWARDS

Hookers: Best, Cronin, Varley

Props: Court, Healy, Ross, Fitzpatrick

Locks: O'Connell, O'Callaghan, Ryan, Tuohy, Henderson, McCarthy

Backrows: Ferris, Henry, McLaughlin, Dave O'Callaghan, O'Mahony, Heaslip

BACKS

Scrumhalves: Murray, Reddan

Flyhalves: O'Gara, Sexton

Centres: D'Arcy, Marshall, O'Driscoll, Cave, Earls, McFadden

Wingers: Zebo, Trimble, Bowe

Fullback: Hurley

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Good to see DOC2, Henderson and Luke Marshall in there.

Ireland Training Squad (33):
    Rory Best (Banbridge - Ulster)
    Tommy Bowe (Belfast Harlequins - Ulster)
    Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins - Ulster)
    Tom Court (Malone - Ulster)
    Sean Cronin (Lansdowne - Leinster)
    Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne - Leinster)
    Keith Earls (Young Munster - Munster)
    Stephen Ferris (Dungannon - Ulster)
    Declan Fitzpatrick (Dungannon - Ulster)
    Cian Healy (Clontarf - Leinster)
    Jamie Heaslip (Naas - Leinster)
    Iain Henderson (Queens University - Ulster)
    Chris Henry (Belfast Harlequins- Ulster)
    Denis Hurley (Dolphin- Munster)
    Luke Marshall (Ballymena - Ulster)
    Conor Murray (Garryowen - Munster)
    Mike McCarthy (Buccaneers - Connacht)
    Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere - Leinster)
    Kevin McLaughlin (St. Mary's College - Leinster)
    David O'Callaghan (Dolphin - Munster)
    Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution - Munster)
    Paul O'Connell (Young Munster - Munster)
    Brian O'Driscoll (UCD - Leinster)
    Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution - Munster)
    Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution - Munster)
    Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne - Leinster)
    Mike Ross (Clontarf - Leinster)
    Donnacha Ryan (Shannon - Munster)
    Jonathan Sexton (St.Mary's College - Leinster)
    Andrew Trimble (Ballymena - Ulster)
    Dan Tuohy (Ballymena - Ulster)
    Damien Varley (Garryowen - Munster)
    Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution - Munster)

Broken Down:

FORWARDS

Hookers: Best, Cronin, Varley

Props: Court, Healy, Ross, Fitzpatrick

Locks: O'Connell, O'Callaghan, Ryan, Tuohy, Henderson, McCarthy

Backrows: Ferris, Henry, McLaughlin, Dave O'Callaghan, O'Mahony, Heaslip

BACKS

Scrumhalves: Murray, Reddan

Flyhalves: O'Gara, Sexton

Centres: D'Arcy, Marshall, O'Driscoll, Cave, Earls, McFadden

Wingers: Zebo, Trimble, Bowe

Fullback: Hurley

Great to see Henderson, Dave O'Callaghan and Marshall in there. I bet Hurley wishes the South Africa test was tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Would have preferred to see someone like Toner in there ahead of Mike McCarthy, but other than that, I've got nothing to complain about. I would have expected Strauss to be involved though. I know he doesn't become eligible till November, but I would have thought he'd train with the squad.

Where is Toner? He is surely worth a look here, given his form recently.

Madigan, Gilroy?

Would have preferred to see someone like Toner in there ahead of Mike McCarthy, but other than that, I've got nothing to complain about. I would have expected Strauss to be involved though. I know he doesn't become eligible till November, but I would have thought he'd train with the squad.

That was my first thought, but he got injured last week. Still, Varley has no business there.

• Advertisement

Broken Down:

FORWARDS

Hookers: Best, Cronin, Varley - Strauss??

Props: Court, Healy, Ross, Fitzpatrick - no real argument

Locks: O'Connell, O'Callaghan, Ryan, Tuohy, Henderson, McCarthy - happy enough, Toner maybe?

Backrows: Ferris, Henry, McLaughlin, Dave O'Callaghan, O'Mahony, Heaslip - on form James Coughlan? I guess Dom Ryan hasn't played enough

BACKS

Scrumhalves: Murray, Reddan - Marshall?

Flyhalves: O'Gara, Sexton - where do I start? Madigan? Keatley? Jackson? We saw Keatley and Jackson put on a great show the other night at 10.

Centres: D'Arcy, Marshall, O'Driscoll, Cave, Earls, McFadden - surprised and delighted to see Marshall named, heartbreakingly I imagine Spence would have had a decent shout at being named in this squad. McFadden and Earls may not be seen as centres in an Irish context though.

Wingers: Zebo, Trimble, Bowe - no Gilroy? O'Halloran?

Fullback: Hurley - no arguments as Hurley played very well against Ulster, is there anyone else fit anyway?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

bilston wrote: »
    Backrows: Ferris, Henry, McLaughlin, Dave O'Callaghan, O'Mahony, Heaslip - on form James Coughlan? I guess Dom Ryan hasn't played enough

Coughlan and Dom Ryan are both out injured aren't they. Coughlan is for sure, and i'm fairly sure Ryan is.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

ed7890 wrote: »
    Coughlan and Dom Ryan are both out injured aren't they. Coughlan is for sure, and i'm fairly sure Ryan is.

Aye, he rolled his ankle.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Just checked the charter and saw there's a "No ROG/Sexton flame wars" entry... is it OK to just have an ANYONE but ROG argument?

Madigan, Jackson and Keatley are now all ahead of him in the form tables.

If he won't retire of his own accord, Declan needs to make the hard, right choice and do it for him.

I'd also have O'Dea in ahead of Zebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Its all the one. Kidney will likely get the sack after the 6 nations. I'm amazed (in a good way) Luke Marshall, DOC2 and Iain Henderson made the squad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

dregin wrote: »
    I'd also have O'Dea in ahead of Zebo.

O dea is injured and Zebo needs to play a game this season before you write him off the Ireland general squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Imagine this time next year what that squad will look like. I'd imagine there will be a lot of fresh and young faces in it.

Dev should be getting a look in, Marshall too. Keatley? Mads? Jackson?

leftleg wrote: »
    O dea is injured and Zebo needs to play a game this season before you write him off the Ireland general squad.

Argh, I did mean to include the "if he wasn't injured" :) Still think he's been better in the first few games than Zebo was at the close of last season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Some encouraging and very worrying selections in that squad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement