Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

If I could care less about a Dragon Age sequel I'd fade into oblivion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I bought Dragon Age 2, played it for approximately 30 minutes and then decided that Bioware could go ****ing themselves with an iron pole.

What a heap of **** they turned out to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH, I never quite got the big deal about Dragon Age: Origins. Yes, I played it on 360, hence missing the supposedly superior combat, but the world, characters and level design (hmm, I wonder if there's enemies behind this door... of course there ****ing is) were so lazy and derivative I just gave up halfway through. I simply couldn't have cared less. The negative reviews for the second always makes me wonder how much worse it could actually be. Not curious enough to ever consider playing it or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Found the first one had finicky controls (reeeeeeally disliked the fact that clicking a character jumped to their perspective and thus confusing the hell out of the situation) and the difficulty level was all kinds of messed up. Normal was ridiculously hard and easy was ridiculously easy.

Long story short... I agree with Mr Baboon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hated DA2 loved DA:O

If the Mass Effect series has taught me nothing it's that a 3rd game will be even more dumbed down and removed from the original. No Sale.

Wonder if they will recycle the environments and dungeons again to cur cost and dev time :D

....... Oh and this news on the back of the news that the founders have "retired" http://investorplace.com/2012/09/bioware-founders-leaving/

Rats fleeing a sinking ship? probably not but still after DA:2 and ME:3 Bioware can f right off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

TBH, I never quite got the big deal about Dragon Age: Origins. Yes, I played it on 360, hence missing the supposedly superior combat, but the world, characters and level design (hmm, I wonder if there's enemies behind this door... of course there ****ing is) were so lazy and derivative I just gave up halfway through. I simply couldn't have cared less. The negative reviews for the second always makes me wonder how much worse it could actually be. Not curious enough to ever consider playing it or anything.

Think mass effect series, pretend there was not a 2 and skip to 3 you're there except DA:2 just copy pasted the same dungeon into various parts of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This is your last god damn chance Bioware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

I've tried about 3 times to get into the first one but i just cant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

calex71 wrote: »
    Wonder if they will recycle the environments and dungeons again to cur cost and dev time :D
    Given the fact that they're using the Frostbite 2 engine, I'd wager no.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've tried about 3 times to get into the first one but i just cant

How long are you giving it? I hated it the first time i played it but it grew on me after you get out of the castle and a bit further into the story. Plus, you get to plough Morrigan if you play your cards right!

It has it problems, yes, but i enjoyed it (having not played any of the D&D games or similar before).

But, DA2 was pants. Terrible let down. And i was fully expecting
    a continuation of the Morrigan story
    but didn't get anything. Rightly annoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Looking forward to see how this turns out, I loved the first game, skipped the 2nd based on the reviews. If it's as good as the first I'll be happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

loved origins
    hated the rest
    and the expansions...
    hopefully this one will be an improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Actually liked the story from the 2nd one but the gameplay did let it down, it get tedious fairly fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Played origins through a few times, Da2 once. And to be fair to it.. i enjoyed the story from start to end, though it was entirely clear from the end that there would definetly be a sequel.

I did try a few times to play through Da2 again but it doesn't have the ballgrabbing ability that other bioware games have, at least not for me anyway.

I can understand(i don't agree) people not liking ME3 but ME2 was brilliant, i much preferred it over the original mass effect due to a lot of reasons, but mainly the mako was a massive pain in the ring. That said, so was planet scanning and evading the reapers..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Actually liked the story from the 2nd one but the gameplay did let it down, it get tedious fairly fast.

The 2nd one was good during the whole Qunari plot, I thought that this was the main plot, but it was dealt with half way through the game.

I think the game would have been ok, if they hadn't dumbed it down and if didn't re-use the same interiors over and over, and if they had a bigger storyline with more than just Kirkwall as the setting. The game was tiny compared to DA:O, you were just running around Kirkwall the whole game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Played origins through a few times, Da2 once. And to be fair to it.. i enjoyed the story from start to end, though it was entirely clear from the end that there would definetly be a sequel.

I did try a few times to play through Da2 again but it doesn't have the ballgrabbing ability that other bioware games have, at least not for me anyway.

I can understand(i don't agree) people not liking ME3 but ME2 was brilliant, i much preferred it over the original mass effect due to a lot of reasons, but mainly the mako was a massive pain in the ring. That said, so was planet scanning and evading the reapers..
    I was more disappointed by ME2 than by DA2, which I quite liked. ME2 was stupidly easy, even on hardest level (and I'm not anything special when it comes to FPS games). I liked ME3 a lot.
    DA:Awakenings was broken for me as my tank character became invulnerable to normal damage pretty fast from sensible levelling and no exploits spoilers or cheating. I really really liked DA:Origins and am looking forward to DA3; pleased that it will be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

meh bioware have lost their magic in my opinion, couldnt care less about any of their games these days (saying a lot coming from a former bioware fangirl :pac:), EA is the devil and all that lark

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I'm looking forward to it. If they make like the original or even moreso in the spirit of Baldur's Gate it will be a sure fire win. Additionally I think they should go with an unconventional plot, I found DAs plot to be boring, but they got the characterisation just right. For DA3 it would be cool if they went with a character piece involving intrigue, magic and prophecy but primarily conveyed through character motivations rather than plot devices. It will probably be none of those things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Old thread I know but I've just seen it's likely cross platform so I may have to get a PS4 earlier than expected.

For a Dragon Age thread there's a lot of negativity there. I f*cking love the series. It's a really well conceived world and the lore is excellent. There should be more games developed like this.

Dragon Age: Origins is one of my favourite games and I thoroughly enjoyed 2.
    Yeah, the reused dungeons was inexcusable and they dumbed equipment down but I thought the story was engaging and there were some excellent characters. I think they struggled with time on this one.

But yeah, the new Dragon Age is my most anticipated game this year and I think it will look epic with the new engine. They also have the tools to make a massive game now with the memory on the PS4. I've really high hopes for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

DA:O was a flawed but great game. It had some lazy design at times but it also had some excellent characters and the combat was done very well. However it's one of those games where you absolutely had to play it on hard or it's a completely different experience. The difficulty brought a new dimension to play where you couldn't just autopilot and end up hating the sometimes annoying and predictable enemy placement. You really had to make good use of the AI skill and queue system. I also strongly disagree with anyone who says it was a broken system as it wasn't, the hardest difficulty wouldn't be possible if it didn't work.

I gave up on the 2nd one, even though I wasn't hating it as such I just couldn't forgive the terrible design decisions and laziness that was evident throughout. However I'm hopeful that 3 will be a much better affair.

• Advertisement

Big Knox wrote: »
    However it's one of those games where you absolutely had to play it on hard or it's a completely different experience.

Agree. Once I realised that area of effect spells didn't hurt your own party members on normal I turned it to hard. Seemed like that should have been the default difficulty. It called for some micro-managing and I think I'd have enjoyed the game far less on normal and I dont' usually play games on hard.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

DAO was fantastic DA2 was very poor imo but i didnt play much of it.
    Infact i might install DAO again for another playthrough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The characters were well done, but DA's setting just wasn't interesting enough to keep me going. I don't think I'll be soiling myself with anxiety waiting for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cillo rs200

Can't get excited for this at all. DA:O was great, DA2's story was great too, but the game itself was a serious letdown. Aside from the recycled dungeon, whoever at Bioware thought taking away the ability to manage our parties armour should be shot! Like really, we are all rpg nerds here, micromanaging parties is what it's all about!

I'll wait for reviews on this on i think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

rpg nerds were exactly the people they weren't targetting with DA2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cillo rs200

True, actually they did the same with Mass Effect. Assholes. Hopefully they will listen to the criticisms, from what i've heard so far they seem to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I actually liked DA2 more than DA1. Im probably the only person in the world mind you, but i did like it. Maybe cause i played DA1 on a console and tbh it was terrible. Played through DA2 twice and really liked it :rolleyes: Went back to play DA1 after i got a gaming PC and my god is the combat slow.....ugh, gave up after 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I had a lot of fun with Awakening. I don't know how many times I've cleared it, but I know I've cleared it with each of the character classes, some multiple times. Some of the origin stories, I thought great, though wasn't impressed too much by some of them. It was a great game, but I don't have motivation to go back to it again.

There are certain parts in the game that are just dull after playing too many times. For instance, the bit where you
    go to get the help of the mages and are in the dream world or whatever
    . It has been ages since I played it, so my ability to describe it isn't the greatest, but ye should know what I mean. Awakening was amazing. I think the story was better in it than Origins, and I really enjoyed Origins story.

Other DLC for it was hit and miss. Some quite poor bits in there DLC wise. The ultimate box was great so you didn't specifically have to pay for the lesser quality DLC.

Dragon Age 2, it wasn't much of a game. It was more of a poor expansion quality. Awakening would have impressed far more as DA2 than what we got. And the DLC was very poor in DA2. That said, I am looking forward to DA3. I hope it is closer to the quality of Origins than 2, that's for sure.

It seems popular to hate BioWare these days. People are pissed about DA2 and ME3. DA2 I get. ME3, I get where people are coming from, but it has so much going for it aside from the concerns that I can't write off the game. It was a very good game, with at least one stupid decision which I don't need to go in to.

I'll wait for reviews on this on i think.

Yeah, I'll probably get it because of the world and lore alone. Orlais setting could be good I think and I really like the fact there's talk that you'll get to meet your characters from the other 2 in game. Not so sure about this coop talk though. Most single player game now seems to have to have coop or multiplayer added.
    Pushtrak wrote: »
    Some of the origin stories, I thought great, though wasn't impressed too much by some of them. It was a great game, but I don't have motivation to go back to it again.

There are certain parts in the game that are just dull after playing too many times. For instance, the bit where you
    go to get the help of the mages and are in the dream world or whatever
    . It has been ages since I played it, so my ability to describe it isn't the greatest, but ye should know what I mean. Awakening was amazing. I think the story was better in it than Origins, and I really enjoyed Origins story.

Other DLC for it was hit and miss. Some quite poor bits in there DLC wise. The ultimate box was great so you didn't specifically have to pay for the lesser quality DLC.

Dragon Age 2, it wasn't much of a game. It was more of a poor expansion quality. Awakening would have impressed far more as DA2 than what we got. And the DLC was very poor in DA2. That said, I am looking forward to DA3. I hope it is closer to the quality of Origins than 2, that's for sure.

It seems popular to hate BioWare these days. People are pissed about DA2 and ME3. DA2 I get. ME3, I get where people are coming from, but it has so much going for it aside from the concerns that I can't write off the game. It was a very good game, with at least one stupid decision which I don't need to go in to.

Yeah, even though all the origin stories weren't great the fact that they were there at all was great. I know what you mean about the fade. I started a new play through a while ago and haven't gone back to it because the thoughts of doing the fade again put me off.

I enjoyed all the DLC though. Played through them all except witch hunt - I'd just had enough at that stage.

It does seem popular to hate on Bioware and that pisses me off because they make incredible games. In my opinion, leaving the ending aside, ME3 is still one of the best games ever made.

• Advertisement

• I loved DA:O, but one of the things I hated on the Xbox version was that the sprint key and the interact key were the same. So I'd be running from some enemies, one of my team would run near me, and suddenly they'd tell me that it wasn't a good time to chat. Or in non-combat, where we'd leap into huge conversations.

I can't remember much from DA2, but just that it was nowhere near as good.

Advertisement