Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

***Grant Regulations for Masters Students from 2012/2013 onward***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 thepoker5

Thanks you for replying,
    yes, i am classified as dependant as i am under 23 when applying for the grant on SUSI....although I have been claiming social welfare as a qualified adult as i do not currently live with my parents and am cohabiting...

Will this income be added on along with my parents as it states that they only take the applicants income and parents income into account...there is nothing that says they take your cohabitants or partners income into account when being assessed as dependant....??/:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 spunkbass

If you will be classified as a dependant both incomes will be taken into consideration. If unclear, call SUSI

Ok, i will call them tomorrow but have phoned before to clarify something and got 2 different answers....I think they would all need to be sat down and given a brief of what actually is going on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭blahhh

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone can help me! Can't seem to figure it out myself :(

Started a hdip course this Sept, applied through springboard/bluebrick. I have been working part-time and have never drawn the dole/btea.

However I need to pack the job in as the course is getting intense. What are my options susi or btea?

I just sent an application to susi... but now I'm thinking since there was no fees attached to my course (Government funded) it's not where I should have applied!

Any help much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

blahhh wrote: »
    Hi!

Started a hdip course this Sept, applied through springboard/bluebrick. I have been working part-time and have never drawn the dole/btea.

However I need to pack the job in as the course is getting intense. What are my options susi or btea?

I just sent an application to susi... but now I'm thinking since there was no fees attached to my course (Government funded) it's not where I should have applied!

You won't get BTEA because you were never on the dole
    You won't get SUSI because they only give a fee grant for postgraduate courses

In short I don't think there are any other options

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Hi!

Not sure but since Springboard courses are aimed at the unemployed, can you claim the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 whoopssinead

)

I was working in 2011, made 12,000 and parents made 19,000 that year and i received the susi postgrad grant for my 2012/2013 course,
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hi all,

Just a quick question. I'm thinking of doing a masters next year. I've qualified for the special top up rate of grant over the last few years and would more than likely still qualify for it next year.

Would I get my registration fee paid for me and then no other form of financial assistance? From searching around I think that's what happens anyway.

No unfortunately the make they will give is 2000 towards the fees and no maintenance grant at all any more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

"Postgraduate students who meet the qualifying conditions for the special rate of grant will be eligible to have their post-graduate tuition fees paid up to the maximum fee limit (€6,270)".

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9543/postgraduate-students/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 chatnoir87

Hey all, I was wondering if any one knows what this means. I surprisingly received a letter from SUSI this morning dated October 9th and it said (to my delight) that, (as a postgraduate student) I have been awarded 100% tuition fees AND 100% student contribution (subject to a maximum of €6,270). Does this mean that I get the 2000 AND 6270 off my fees?

I phoned up and the poor girl hadn't a clue. Any insight into this would be great.. Thanks allot!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 galwaygirrl

Hi, I was just told I was awarded contribution only for my postgraduate studies, but I only earned 7,000 in 2011 as I was in a coma for a lot of the year and am on disability now. If I dont qualify for tuition fees to be paid, who does? Anyone know?

chatnoir87 wrote: »
    Hey all, I was wondering if any one knows what this means. I surprisingly received a letter from SUSI this morning dated October 9th and it said (to my delight) that, (as a postgraduate student) I have been awarded 100% tuition fees AND 100% student contribution (subject to a maximum of €6,270). Does this mean that I get the 2000 AND 6270 off my fees?

I phoned up and the poor girl hadn't a clue. Any insight into this would be great.. Thanks allot!

No.

You only get a grant of upto 6270 towards fees. This is paid direct to the college.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I only earned €7,000 in 2011 as I was in hospital very ill for a long time. SUSI say all I can get awarded is €2,000 towards my masters course. This cant be right can it? Are they not saying that for postgraduate students they'll pay the full tuition fees? I know there's no maintenance grant available. Does anyone have any idea? Ive appealed, but it doesnt sound hopeful as they havent even replied whe I asked them to confirm recipt!

"Hey all, I was wondering if any one knows what this means. I surprisingly received a letter from SUSI this morning dated October 9th and it said (to my delight) that, (as a postgraduate student) I have been awarded 100% tuition fees AND 100% student contribution (subject to a maximum of €6,270)" chatnoir

I dont understand it, so they do pay postgraduate fees in full then! I can't imagine your income was lower than mine at 7,000, even if you were an undergrad you'd be on more than this...I wonder why mine was only contribution

• Registered Users Posts: 7 psydiffer

Oh my God, I can't believe this. How did this work out for you??

• Registered Users Posts: 10 chatnoir87

"Hey all, I was wondering if any one knows what this means. I surprisingly received a letter from SUSI this morning dated October 9th and it said (to my delight) that, (as a postgraduate student) I have been awarded 100% tuition fees AND 100% student contribution (subject to a maximum of €6,270)" chatnoir

I dont understand it, so they do pay postgraduate fees in full then! I can't imagine your income was lower than mine at 7,000, even if you were an undergrad you'd be on more than this...I wonder why mine was only contribution

Hi Galwaygirl, sorry I never got a notification of your reply, don't worry, I received a letter in December saying they've reviewed my situation to give me 2,000 contribution which is infuriating!!! Appealed it on 4th Dec, still no reply! :/ aghhhhh!!!! I earned 17k in 2011. Ridiculous that we shouldn't qualify because we've never claimed social. Hope you get a better response.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 psydiffer

The cost of most postgraduate courses in psychology in Ireland is on average e1,000 more than what SUSI contribute to fees. Then, they don't even allow maintenance. JOKE of a government.

hi, i a only seeings these posts now...Has anybody heard if students in university of ulster get their postgrad fees payed for?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 spunkbass

they called me today and said i got the contrbution + fees for postgrad. however the same thing happened to my housemate, but then they changed it to just 2000 contribution. so until my college receives the money i remain sceptical...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pinkdiamond

just curious- is there many governments that pay full fees and maintenance for postgrad students?

Spunkbass..what do youmean you got the contribution and the fees paid for postgrad...does that mean you got your fees payed for and a contribution on top??
    Also when all of your documents where given into susi, what was the timeframe of you getting word??

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭lauras91

Hi all,
    Just thought some people might be interested in this information. I got the fee contribution from SUSI for my masters (which paid my all of my fees), and because of that I also got back the 200euro deposit.. (the college (NUI Maynooth) paid this back and not SUSI).
    Just in case there are others who could get this back but weren't aware!
    Laura :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

lauras91 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just thought some people might be interested in this information. I got the fee contribution from SUSI for my masters (which paid my all of my fees), and because of that I also got back the 200euro deposit.. (the college (NUI Maynooth) paid this back and not SUSI).
    Just in case there are others who could get this back but weren't aware!
    Laura :)
    Hi Laura, did your award letter say you were awarded full tuition fees? Just wondering what my appeal letter means!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Musefan wrote: »
    Hi Laura, did your award letter say you were awarded full tuition fees? Just wondering what my appeal letter means!

What does it say exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 FOS5252

Hi sorry if this has been asked before,

I have qualify for the A1 undergraduate grant for 2012-2013.

Under the new guidelines am I entilited to the full maximum fee limit or the €2000 limit?

Thank you

FOS5252 wrote: »
    Hi sorry if this has been asked before,

I have qualify for the A1 undergraduate grant for 2012-2013.

Under the new guidelines am I entilited to the full maximum fee limit or the €2000 limit?

Thank you

It's impossible for us to say.

If you are getting the special rate grant then it might be likely but the income limits are going down and there are always rule changes from year to year.

Really we cannot say.

Terry Pratchet

Hi all,
    Just got notified that I get full fees paid for my course, (€4910) but when I applied in August I was told I would only get 2000 towards fees. But I only got this this last week, meaning I had to cover the first semester fees myself, and them got them refunded. Just letting you guys know, there is still hope if you were told the same as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

I am going to be returning to Ireland in a couple of months. I have been accepted into a masters in ucd were the fees are around 2750. this is after the fees being reduced from around 6k under some government development scheme.

I am 27 and dont / wont have a job when I get back and will probably be living with my parents to begin with.

I am just looking for general information on what I can apply for and what I might be entitled to and the terms and conditions that I would have to meet.

anyone got any ideas of were I can start?

• Advertisement

PeakOutput wrote: »
    I am going to be returning to Ireland in a couple of months. I have been accepted into a masters in ucd were the fees are around 2750. this is after the fees being reduced from around 6k under some government development scheme.

I am 27 and dont / wont have a job when I get back and will probably be living with my parents to begin with.

I am just looking for general information on what I can apply for and what I might be entitled to and the terms and conditions that I would have to meet.

anyone got any ideas of were I can start?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/postgraduate_student_grant.html

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement