Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

***Grant Regulations for Masters Students from 2012/2013 onward***

1235

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 PeakOutput



    Thanks.

    So accordng to the faq the definition of an independant student is someone who is over 23 and didnt live with their parents on october 1st of the year before they are entering their postgrad course. Is that the correct interpretation?

    I am 27 and havnt lived at home for about 6 years but I will probably be moving back to do the masters. Any ideas if I will be considered an independant student?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭ bennyineire


    @ Peak , as far as I know you have to heaved lived in Ireland 3 out of the last 5 years to be considered for any grant, which in your case is bad news, I guess you will need to contact SUSI or the citizens advise bureau to check this out


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 PeakOutput


    @ Peak , as far as I know you have to heaved lived in Ireland 3 out of the last 5 years to be considered for any grant, which in your case is bad news, I guess you will need to contact SUSI or the citizens advise bureau to check this out

    Thanks, I actually meet that criteria I just havnt lived with my parents for around 6 years and I have been out of ireland for the last year and a half so should be good as far as that goes.


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,546 ✭✭✭✭ Annasopra


    PeakOutput wrote: »
    Thanks.

    So accordng to the faq the definition of an independant student is someone who is over 23 and didnt live with their parents on october 1st of the year before they are entering their postgrad course. Is that the correct interpretation?

    I am 27 and havnt lived at home for about 6 years but I will probably be moving back to do the masters. Any ideas if I will be considered an independant student?

    http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1339418623/Student_Grant_Scheme_2012.pdf
    (3) In this scheme an “independent student” means a mature student who did not ordinarily reside with his or her parents, or either of them, from 1 October of the year before the first point of entry to an approved post leaving certificate course or an approved higher education course or re-entry to an approved course.

    As I read it if you are living away from home and only move back in a week or so before your course starts you would still be considered independent

    First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—

       Because I was not a socialist.

    Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—

       Because I was not a trade unionist.

    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—

       Because I was not a Jew.

    Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.



  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭✭ murra


    Hi folks,

    Haven't got a clue about all this grant business so please excuse my ignorance.

    Plan on doing a masters starting in September 2013.

    If my dad ears over 100k a year am I entitled to any form of grant, taking into consideration that I am paying for the masters myself and he is giving me no dollar towards it.

    any info is much appreciated.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,546 ✭✭✭✭ Annasopra


    murra wrote: »
    Hi folks,

    Haven't got a clue about all this grant business so please excuse my ignorance.

    Plan on doing a masters starting in September 2013.

    If my dad ears over 100k a year am I entitled to any form of grant, taking into consideration that I am paying for the masters myself and he is giving me no dollar towards it.

    any info is much appreciated.

    It depends on many things
    Do you live at home?

    First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—

       Because I was not a socialist.

    Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—

       Because I was not a trade unionist.

    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—

       Because I was not a Jew.

    Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.



  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭✭ murra


    It depends on many things
    Do you live at home?

    Ye I live at home with my parents and they have paid for my education up to this point, I will also be living at home during the masters as well.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 paperclip2


    If you were living at home on the 1st October last your parents income will be taken into account when assessing your means.
    Last years reckonable income rates for post grad fee support are here: http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9543/postgraduate-students/index.html

    To my knowledge the income limits were reduced by 3% in the budget but I'm open to correction on this.


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,546 ✭✭✭✭ Annasopra


    murra wrote: »
    Ye I live at home with my parents and they have paid for my education up to this point, I will also be living at home during the masters as well.

    If you were living at home in October 2012 and your Dad earns 100,000 it is unlikely you will get a grant. For postgrad fee grants of 2,000 euro the income limit in 2012 is 31,5000. In 2013 income limits reduce by 3%.

    First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—

       Because I was not a socialist.

    Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—

       Because I was not a trade unionist.

    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—

       Because I was not a Jew.

    Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.



  • Registered Users Posts: 33,546 ✭✭✭✭ Annasopra


    paperclip2 wrote: »

    To my knowledge the income limits were reduced by 3% in the budget but I'm open to correction on this.
    This is true. It is stated on the Dept of Education website and the Citizens Information website.

    First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—

       Because I was not a socialist.

    Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—

       Because I was not a trade unionist.

    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—

       Because I was not a Jew.

    Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭✭ murra


    If you were living at home in October 2012 and your Dad earns 100,000 it is unlikely you will get a grant. For postgrad fee grants of 2,000 euro the income limit in 2012 is 31,5000. In 2013 income limits reduce by 3%.

    Ye I dont think I have much hope. The Postgrad is costing €8500.
    It is extremely unfair that I cant get a grant. My dad has nothing to do with payment of the course. So basically I earn around €10,000 a year from part time work and cant get a grant .

    Absolute joke:mad:


  • Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭✭ timmy the toolman


    if my parents combined income is roughly 31,680 does this mean i wont qualify if the limit is 31,500. is there any amount just over the limit that they might consider?


  • Registered Users Posts: 29 ✭✭✭ spunkbass


    if my parents combined income is roughly 31,680 does this mean i wont qualify if the limit is 31,500. is there any amount just over the limit that they might consider?

    They are always really strict on everythng. I remember I was 11 days short of 3 years residency in Ireland to get a full maintenance grant for my undergrad and they would not let it slide. But its always worth a shot.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭✭ timmy the toolman


    thats what i was thinking. id say there would have been some chance if it was the locals instead of susi


  • Registered Users Posts: 29 ✭✭✭ spunkbass


    thats what i was thinking. id say there would have been some chance if it was the locals instead of susi

    Yes, However my case was back in the time when the councils were doing the grants.

    You may get something. Give it a shot.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 April O Neill


    If you were living at home in October 2012 and your Dad earns 100,000 it is unlikely you will get a grant. For postgrad fee grants of 2,000 euro the income limit in 2012 is 31,5000. In 2013 income limits reduce by 3%.

    Damn, my income for the year 2012 was ~31300. (Inheritance plus job earnings) Going by this, I'm just going to miss out if there's a 3% reduction. :(

    They asked for documentation though, surely if I was above the limit they wouldn't have bothered?

    EDIT: No, wait, the threshold is still 31500 for 2013/14! \o/


  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Scriptellie


    Does anyone know if you can pursue a masters in QUB and get the tuition fee or does that only apply to ROI colleges?


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,546 ✭✭✭✭ Annasopra


    Does anyone know if you can pursue a masters in QUB and get the tuition fee

    Yes

    http://www.susi.ie/Susi/media/susi/SI-158-of-2013-Student-Support-Regulations-2013_Final.pdf?ext=.pdf
    Approved Postgraduate Courses in Northern Ireland
    Queen’s University, Belfast
    Full-time postgraduate course of not less than one year duration

    First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—

       Because I was not a socialist.

    Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—

       Because I was not a trade unionist.

    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—

       Because I was not a Jew.

    Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.



  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Scriptellie


    Thanks for replying so quick!! I rang SUSIE and the girl said that they pay just the €2000 fee but that was after some debate as to whether QUB was an approved college and I had to convince her that it was. So basically, is it just the €2,000 or is it eligible for the tuition fee? I read the regulations but I'm still confused


  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭✭ Wee Ollie


    I've already posted this in State Benefits but I'm posting it here too as it relates to Masters.

    I am on Disability Allowance and am thinking about applying for an MSc Programme which has a bursary of €8000 per year over 2 years. An informal discussion with someone from Social Welfare suggests that this will be treated as cash income and will effectively wipe out my DA.

    Anyone got any knowledge or experience of this and know is that correct?

    I'm wondering if the college pays me the stipend through their payroll and I get an appropriate letter from my doctor, could I claim it as rehabilitative employment?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ Michael..


    I have just applied for a masters but I've being looking at the income thresholds for SUSI and they look very low. I am 27 and I'm currently living in my parents house. The household income is about €55,000. Going by the figures below this is way over. May be somebody who has got the grant could let me know if the figures below are correct.

    Also, I recently just switched from Back To Education Allowance to Job Seekers Benefit. The social welfare said because I am over 26 my Job Seekers Benefit is not means tested. Just wondering does the same apply to the SUSI grant. ie is it only my income taken in account.


    Postgraduate fee contribution
    (special rate)

    €22,703 Less than 4 children
    €22,703 Between 4 and 7 children
    €22,703 8 or more children
    0
    Postgraduate fee contribution
    (standard rate)

    €31,500 Less than 4 children
    €34,615 Between 4 and 7 children
    €37,580 8 or more children
    +€4,980


  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭✭ Wee Ollie


    The figures look about right but you have to look at how the reckonable income is arrived at. Your own situation also comes into it - some SW payments, for example, automatically entitle you to the fee grant though not the maintenance grant.

    Spend some time on the CitizensInformation.ie and the StudentFinance.ie sites - I'm not allowed to post urls but they are easy to figure out.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭✭ Wee Ollie


    Also look at the Springboard courses.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭ Sup08


    Wee Ollie wrote: »
    The figures look about right but you have to look at how the reckonable income is arrived at. Your own situation also comes into it - some SW payments, for example, automatically entitle you to the fee grant though not the maintenance grant.

    Spend some time on the CitizensInformation.ie and the StudentFinance.ie sites - I'm not allowed to post urls but they are easy to figure out.

    There is no sw payment that automatically entitles an applicant to a fee grant.
    The grant for post graduate studies is €2000 euro or €6250 if the applicants total household income is less that €22,703 with a qualifying sw payment.

    The threshold to qualify for the €2000 post graduate Contribution is €31,500 for the total household income, including the applicants and their parents or legal guardians.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 davedanon


    We, or rather our son, has just been turned down for a grant as we are just over the eligibility limit in terms of total income. The combined income of myself, my wife and the son in question is not quite €700 (seven hundred) over the limit. I want to appeal this, but am not sure of what grounds to invoke. Should I be trying to re-submit 're-jigged' financial details that don't exceed the limit? Is this even allowed? Would be grateful for any help at all.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭ Sup08


    davedanon wrote: »
    We, or rather our son, has just been turned down for a grant as we are just over the eligibility limit in terms of total income. The combined income of myself, my wife and the son in question is not quite €700 (seven hundred) over the limit. I want to appeal this, but am not sure of what grounds to invoke. Should I be trying to re-submit 're-jigged' financial details that don't exceed the limit? Is this even allowed? Would be grateful for any help at all.

    A: SUSI have the wrong figures:
    If your finances are indeed different from what SUSI have returned in their assessment, then you can ask for a review and submit the evidence that shows the difference.
    You must be aware first that SUSI do have direct links with Government Departments (Social Welfare and Revenue) and get exact amounts of income through theses streams.

    B: Change in Circumstances:
    If you believe that you've had a change in circumstances from your income for 2014 compared to 2015, then you can apply for a change in circumstances and your income for 2015 will be assessed. But beware, you will be re-assessed for the 2016/17 academic year based on the Revenue and SW figures for 2015.
    If the figures from the streams show that there was no change in your circumstances for 2015 compared to 2014, then SUSI will take action to recover any payments/overpayments.

    C: The figures are correct
    Your appeal will be unsuccessful, even if you were over the threshold by €1


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 davedanon


    Thanks for that. You seem to speak with some authority. Are they really that draconian? One Euro over the limit and that's it? No leeway at all? That seems desperately harsh.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭ Sup08


    davedanon wrote: »
    Are they really that draconian? One Euro over the limit and that's it? No leeway at all? That seems desperately harsh.

    The limits are set out by the minister for education in the Statuary Instrument (Student Grant Scheme) each year and if the limits were flexible, where would the flexibility stop.
    Would the various thresholds be flexible to give people on lower grants better grants. Then the funding from government would also have to have some flexibility, but unfortunately it doesn't.

    €1 or €1000, it is still over what the Minister has set as the thresholds.

    If the grant system changes to something more closely to the UK model, it would be a much fairer system giving access to everyone, regardless of their income at the time of applying. Get education now, pay back later.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 davedanon


    Sup08 wrote: »
    The limits are set out by the minister for education in the Statuary Instrument (Student Grant Scheme) each year and if the limits were flexible, where would the flexibility stop.
    Would the various thresholds be flexible to give people on lower grants better grants. Then the funding from government would also have to have some flexibility, but unfortunately it doesn't.

    €1 or €1000, it is still over what the Minister has set as the thresholds.

    If the grant system changes to something more closely to the UK model, it would be a much fairer system giving access to everyone, regardless of their income at the time of applying. Get education now, pay back later.

    Thanks for the help.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ splashuum


    Earlier this month I was only awarded a fee contribution by SUSI as I was over the threshold. I then asked for my outcome to be reviewed by applying online and included proof of my “change of circumstances”. Upon review I was granted the full award. I would advise people to do the same if you are receiving less income in 2018 in comparison to 2017.

    Also does anyone know is postgrad maintanence paid monthly or in one “lump” sum?


Advertisement