Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tender Watch for Roads!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭FullBeard

Sorry to hear this as I always enjoyed checking this thread. You did great work and I appreciate your efforts. Hats off, sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭browneire

Seconded, thanks for the updates. I think you've made the right choice as etenders is accessible to all but the updates generated some much needed chatter on the etenders realm. It's the only forum that I've found solely based on etenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

This notice relating to a major archaeological find has unearthed (excuse the pun! :D) a small realignment scheme which is AFAIK 1.5km South of Athy, Co Kildare. I don't remember seeing anything about the scheme before, but I believe it's (I think the scheme length is only 500m) about to go to construction, if it hasn't done so already. Has anyone any more information in relation to same?

Many Thanks!

Friday 17th August 2012 - 2 Notices (both related to same project):

1) Award (19/06/2012): Consultant Valuer for Central Access Scheme (Kilkenny County Council);

2) Award (26/07/2012): Kilkenny Central Access Scheme-Site Investigation Contract (Kilkenny County Council).

There's more information on the scheme >>here<< - EIS and drawings are also available (scroll down for these).

Regards!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

You've been very industrious on this thread I&P so fair enough on wanting to scale back. Well done!

• Advertisement

Wednesday 22nd August 2012 - 1 Notice:

1) Tender: R697 Kells Road Improvement Scheme (Kilkenny County Council).

#1 - Here's a >>PDF File<< (unknown size) depicting the zoning objectives for the Kilkenny City & Environs Development Plan 2008-2014. The R697 Scheme is shown as objective 'R5' on the Southern outskirts of the city - just inside the current ring road. I'm finding it very difficult to get any technical information on the scheme except that the scheme involves the stretch from Upper Patrick Street to the ring road at the Paddocks, Maiden Hill & Rose Hill estates and will include road realignment, provision for pedestrian and cycle facilities, and public lighting - according to >>this<< and some other local media.

Regards!

Monday 27th August 2012 - 2 Notices (both related to same project):

1) Award (23/04/2012): Coonagh-Knockalisheen Distributor Road- Ground Investigation Contract No.2 (Limerick City Council);

2) Award (16/07/2012): Coonagh to Knockalisheen Distributor Road- Archaeological Services Contract (Limerick City Council).

There's a >>PDF File<< (4207KB) giving a detailed layout of the scheme (September 2010) - this will form the first phase of the Limerick Northern Distributor Road. The PDF originates from >>this page<< which in turn includes other downloads such as the EIS & CPO etc.

Regards!

There was a notice concerning the N14/N15 yesterday and I went to post the link as usual last night, but when I went to etenders, this is what I got - I have just checked it again and it's the same outcome. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Click >>here<< to check etenders!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Tá, Inniu.

Seems to be back on track this a.m.

• Advertisement

Friday 31st August 2012 - 1 Notice:

1) Award (25/05/2011): Legal Services - N56 Dungloe to Glenties (Kilraine) and N14/N15 to A5 Link Road Projects (Donegal County Council).

#1 - Information in relation to both schemes (mentioned above) is available >>here<<! I think the notice relates only to a small section of the N56 Dungloe to Glenties scheme - the section Southwest of Glenties as far as I can make out.

Regards!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Friday 31st August 2012 - 1 Notice:

1) Award (25/05/2011): Legal Services - N56 Dungloe to Glenties (Kilraine) and N14/N15 to A5 Link Road Projects (Donegal County Council).

#1 - Information in relation to both schemes (mentioned above) is available >>here<<! I think the notice relates only to a small section of the N56 Dungloe to Glenties scheme - the section Southwest of Glenties as far as I can make out.

Regards!

Odd award, as that bit of N56 seems to have some planning issues and the bit of A5 that is going to link to isn't being built yet.

Hopefully it does mean that said N56 bit will progress rapidly as soon as ABP get off their arses and allow it.

MYOB wrote: »
    Odd award, as that bit of N56 seems to have some planning issues and the bit of A5 that is going to link to isn't being built yet.

Hopefully it does mean that said N56 bit will progress rapidly as soon as ABP get off their arses and allow it.

Yeah, I also found it odd on the grounds that there was no mention of the A5 link under the current government's roads plan. Hopefully, the N56 section will get underway. I was on the N59 Clifden Road during the summer and the new Derrylea S-Type 3 section was fabulous - 100kph no problem! :)

Tuesday 4th September 2012 - 1 Notice:

1) Contract Notice: Bothar na dTreabh (N6) Coolagh Roundabout Safety Scheme (Galway city Council).

#1 - The Coolagh Roundabout as I understand it is where the M6 (well N6 really, but you know what I mean), meets the N6 Bothar na dTreabh - I think this was known as the 'M6 Doughiska Junction'. >>This post<< (thanks to Nath) from another thread shows good clear pictures of the junction in its construction phase. Upon a visit to Galway earlier in the summer, I came off the M6 turning right towards the Briarhill Junction (where the Lynch Roundabout was sited) - in doing so, I found that the Coolagh Roundabout was very poor in geometry - I felt it was actually quite dangerous coming off a motorway, so I'm glad it's going to be sorted out. The works also includes the lengthening of a right filter lane for the Briarhill Junction - one would think that two very new junctions would have been done correctly in the first place.

Regards!

Good to see this is being attended to. However it begs the question, who is paying for it - the design doesn't work. If the construction was defective, the contractor would put it right, surely if the design is defective the designer's PI should kick in.

There's a new >>tender notice<< by Donegal County Council - again relating to legal services for the N14/N15 to A5 Link, but nothing about the N56 this time - the deadline is later this month. They must be serious about this scheme!

Regards!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It may be that the A5 will be extended a tad further south than proposed earlier this year....in order to hook up with this bridge. Of the selected A5 portions one was to end around Strabane and perhaps we now know where.

The NI contractor has been allocated a scheme from Derry-Sion Mills where they say they will build from Derry - Strabane for now see Wesleys site here.

This would mean the contractors, Balfour Beatty/BAM/FP McCann Joint Venture., are still allocated a tiny stump 1-2 miles long for 'a future date' which seems a bit daft to me.

Roadbridge were allocated Sion Mills - Omagh which has been kicked back into infinity.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0731/breaking41.html

Thursday 6th September 2012 - 1 Notice:

1) Tender: Legal Services for the N15 Blackburn Bridge (Phase 1) Project (Donegal County Council).

#1 - More information relating to the above scheme (notice relates to Phase 1 of same) is available >>here<<. Included are PDFs (scroll down) and other useful information. The scheme in total is for 4.5km approx' of mostly Type 1 SC (one section will not include hard shoulders due to the close proximity of development) - the notice relates to 2.4km of this. It is also stated that the >>N13/N15 Ballybofey/Stranorlar Bypass<< would be the ultimate replacement for the said stretch of road, but due to the current funding constraints, the scheme which the notice relates to would be the interim solution, given the poor safety record with the current alignment. I must say that Donegal CC seem to have a nice >>section<< on major road projects! :)

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the NRA are beginning to tackle one of the worst stretches of National Road in the country.

10/09/2012
    Invitation to Tender : N16 Cornacloy to Sradrine Realignment Scheme - Phase 1 (1.1km)

I drove it a few weeks back and was shocked at how bad it is for a national road. The worst part is extremely windy and there's about 8km of road there thats less windy but still is pure hateful driving.

Map of the stretch likely to be eliminated after all phases are completed - phase 1 is the westernmost 1.1km

Monday 10th September 2012 - 1 Notice:
    the NRA are beginning to tackle one of the worst stretches of National Road in the country.

10/09/2012
    Invitation to Tender : N16 Cornacloy to Sradrine Realignment Scheme - Phase 1 (1.1km)

I drove it a few weeks back and was shocked at how bad it is for a national road. The worst part is extremely windy and there's about 8km of road there thats less windy but still is pure hateful driving.

Map of the stretch likely to be eliminated after all phases are completed - phase 1 is the westernmost 1.1km

I tried to dig up more information on the scheme, but to no avail - even here!

Many thanks to munchkin_utd for the above and the map reference.

Regards!

• Advertisement

Monday 10th September 2012 - 1 Notice:

I tried to dig up more information on the scheme, but to no avail - even here!

Many thanks to munchkin_utd for the above and the map reference.

Regards!
    The map is my creation from the info in the tender but it tallies with the info the minister released at the start of the year on minor schemes in planning that has the total length of the realignment at 3.5 km
    http://www.merrionstreet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/2012-Minor-Works-at-Planning-stage1.pdf

Wednesday 12th September 2012 - 1 Notice:

1) Tender: Navan - Kingscourt Greenway Project (Navan - Kingscourt Greenway/Cycleway Committee).

#1 - Just to clarify, the above notice relates to a feasibility study for the greenway, rather than its construction. The greenway would follow the route of the disused Navan to Kingscourt railway line - AFAIK, this line has been closed for a few years now. Only Tara Mines uses any of the former Drogheda to Kingscourt (via Navan) goods line - hence, only the section from Drogheda to Navan is used. Both the gypsum factory in Kingscourt and Platin cement works Southwest of Drogheda have switched entirely to road freight. Another interesting thing is that the Dún na Rí Forest Park is located very close to Kingscourt - hopefully, the greenway (if constructed) will link up directly with this beautiful amenity.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jsn.peters

Is this the junction at the graveyard & Harry Reynolds road ? if it is any ideas if they will be putting in a filter lane turning left off the naul road on onto the Harry Reynolds road going towards the Garda Station

Tuesday 18/09/2012

1) N55 Corduff to South of Killydoon Topographical Survey Contract

2) Carlow Southern Relief Road - N80 to Link Road Roundabout (Ballinacarrig)

#1 "A topographical survey is required for the preliminary design of the N55 realignment in County Cavan etc etc etc."
    a ) this is the missing link that would complete the upgrade from south of Ballinagh to the Longford county bounds linking the section just opened a couple of weeks back to the section that is currently being worked on near Mullaghoran pitch.
    b ) with this tender we now know exactly what stage this upgrade is at, compared to the mysterious other previous projects led by Cavan County Council that suddenly end up being tendered to be built with no prior warning at all !

#2 theres 1 800m section and lots of "lots" of other tiny 20m bits and bobs of crosses and whatnot

jsn.peters wrote: »
    Is this the junction at the graveyard & Harry Reynolds road ? if it is any ideas if they will be putting in a filter lane turning left off the naul road on onto the Harry Reynolds road going towards the Garda Station

If you were reading a notice regarding Naul Road / Harry Reynold's Road, then yes - it's the junction at the graveyard. I've really no idea what the layout is going to be - I can't get my hands on anything! :( In any case, anything has got to be better than what's there now - right turn filters are very badly needed there.

Thursday 27th September 2012 - 1 Notice:

1) Tender: N55 Corduff to South of Killydoon Ground Investigation Contract (Cavan County Council).

#1 - It's difficult to get any detailed information on the above scheme, but here's an >>article relating to a dispute with land owners<< (16/06/2010) in relation to CPOs. Presumably, this issue was resolved one way or another - to me, it's just another example of the problems associated with land ownership and its place in the 21st century - all land should be publically owned and leased to private interests - that way, the land belongs to the people and that the common good takes precedence in the event of any environmental change.

Regards!

1 - Tender - N70 Pilot Delineation Project

2 - Tender - Construction of Footpath in Batterstown, Dunboyne, County Meath

#1 "The N70 Pilot Delineation Project comprises the construction of Boundary Treatment Works and Pull-in Areas at 4 pilot locations on the N70 Ring of Kerry to include the following:
    - Construction of high containment kerbing
    - Construction of a raised verge
    - Construction of hazard markings
    - Construction of new unreinforced and reinforced stone walls
    - Increasing the height of existing walls
    - Construction of a concrete footpath
    - Removal of existing concrete barrier
    - Supply and installation of regulatory and warning signage.
    - Installation of road markings and road studs
    - Construction of road pavement at pull-in areas
    "
    NOTE: It'll be interesting to see what they've planned here. Is it the really small 1 or 2 vehicle pull in areas on the cliff faces or is it the larger ones like at ladys view which are getting a make over.

#2 - "Construction of a 2m wide flexible pavement footpath of approximatey 486m long in Batterstown, Dunboyne Co. Meath "
    NOTE: just including this as an example of basic basic simple cheap infrastructure that should have been as much a priority during the boom as inter urban motorways and other major projects that costed many billions in total. Simple projects like this can transform the lives of pensioners, kids and the normal citizen in that they are now connected to their village safely by foot rather than (for safetys sake) needing to drive or have someone else pick them up and drive them to the local village.

its very quiet on the Road Tender front. (on the positive lots of schools seem to be getting works tendered so good for jobs now and good for kids in a year or 2!)

24th October 2012 :
    1 - Contract Notice - N56 Leitirmacaward to Glenties - Land Conveyance and Legal Services
    2 - Contract Notice - N56 Leitirmacaward to Glenties - Land & Property Valuation Services

#1 - The Project involves the widening and realignment of 15.8km of National Secondary Route on the N56 from Leitirmacaward village to Kilraine, south of Glenties in County Donegal. The existing road is sub standard and it is proposed to construct a Type 3 Single Carriageway which will be partly online and partly offline.
    The Consultant will be required to provide all land and property valuation services necessary for the acquisition of the lands for the N56 Leitirmacaward to Glenties Road Scheme which are included in the Donegal County Council N56 Leitirmacaward to Glenties (Kilraine) Compulsory Purchase Order, 2011. These services include, but are not limited to, all land and property valuation services, assessment of claims submitted in response to Notice to Treat, negotiation & settlement of claims, assessment & arbitration services

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

EU funding is available for that N56 scheme if started quickly. Chronically badly needed.

Advertisement