Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

If we can all just tuck our mickies in for a few days so the pro's can answer my outstanding questions....

Let's just be friends and keep the crap for After Hours [where I don't go :p]

RangeR wrote: »
    1. What's your scariest moment while in cockpit [flight or otherwise]? Did you inform passengers?
    2. Have you ever been in a situation where "security" had to be administered on flight [on board marshal etc]?
    3. Have you ever had an emergancy, before take off, that meant the auircraft had to be evacuated?
    4. Where any of these false alarms, after tha fact? :)
    5. What gets your blood pumping, take off or landing? I love the take off [I'm a civvy] but I find, as life goes on, I get more and more scared :)
    6. Is there camaraderie among pilots of different airlines? Do you all share the same "canteen/water cooler" or does Airlingus/Ryanair/BMI/Other have it's own area?

<keep thread alive, don't close>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

What gets your blood pumping, take off or landing? I love the take off [I'm a civvy] but I find, as life goes on, I get more and more scared

Me too! As the years go by I found take-off's become more and more unpleasant. It's not that I'm scared, it's the acceleration - pressure on my neck and head that's killing me

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Priority Right

What's your scariest moment while in cockpit [flight or otherwise]? Did you inform passengers?
    Have you ever been in a situation where "security" had to be administered on flight [on board marshal etc]?
    Have you ever had an emergancy, before take off, that meant the auircraft had to be evacuated?
    Where any of these false alarms, after tha fact?
    What gets your blood pumping, take off or landing? I love the take off [I'm a civvy] but I find, as life goes on, I get more and more scared
    Is there camaraderie among pilots of different airlines? Do you all share the same "canteen/water cooler" or does Airlingus/Ryanair/BMI/Other have it's own area?

1: Touch wood nothing bad yet. Severe wake tubulence at low altitude and a few other things but nothing that got the heart racing. While training in a Piper, was downwind in an uncontrolled airfield (I was doing the published approach) and a Piper cub came straight at me. He wasn't doing an approach just bumbling around. I turned the plane and climbed. Was raging afterwards.

2. Nope never seen an on board marshal. I have been on a few deportation flights or prisoner transfers but never any trouble.

3. Once. We found a bag in the hold leaking gas during boarding. Evacuated into terminal again. Wasn't planned. Just some guy going camping.

4. When I had less than 1,000 hours my adrenaline was pumping on approach and landing. Don't get it now. Although the other day I got a real rush of adrenaline on a flat calm day!! Beautiful landing after though. :D Nerves are a good thing if you don't let them get in your way.

5. I rarely meet other pilots that don't work for my airline. I know loads of ryanair and ba pilots and we meet up but we've been friends for years. Apart from that I rarely bump into any. I would always make time to talk to any that I could. It's a very small industry though. You'll always meet someone you know in random places.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

Originally Posted by RangeR
    What's your scariest moment while in cockpit [flight or otherwise]? Did you inform passengers?
    Have you ever been in a situation where "security" had to be administered on flight [on board marshal etc]?
    Have you ever had an emergancy, before take off, that meant the auircraft had to be evacuated?
    Where any of these false alarms, after tha fact?
    Is there camaraderie among pilots of different airlines? Do you all share the same "canteen/water cooler" or does Airlingus/Ryanair/BMI/Other have it's own area

I was on holiday with some friends in the states and was at an uncontrolled airport flying a twin. A glider was in the area and I was on a 3 mile final. I called in every so often with my distance to landing and suddenly hear on the radio "aircraft on, final gilder xxx here we're gonna land on the grass strip, that should not conflict with you". So I thought fair enough that's fine(ha). I was 5 seconds from flare when a glider turns in and lands parallel to the runway LITERALLY and I mean no lie or exaggeration, no more than 5 feet off my wing....I almost shat myself right there and then....landed safely though....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

fATPL acquired early July through modular route and offered a position early August. Currently on week 4 of a 6 week type rating with base and line training to follow. Aircraft type is A320(not green though
    You didnt answer the question, did you buy your job?

smurfjed

• Advertisement

Left Base, what is wrong with you? You might learn a lot more if you actually took the time to ask people about aviation rather than trying to prove if they are a pilot or not......

BoeingBoy has stated that he did his first medical with Col Morgan and flight test with Commandant Kevin Humphries... do you even know who these people are? Do you really think that anyone who just got involved in aviation recently would have anyway of knowing who these people are?

smurfjed

Dont be so silly. Name dropping proves nothing at all and could be seen as further cause for suspicion.
    But why be suspicious? What do you achieve? It certainly drives people away as they just cant be ar55ed trying to justify themselves, so you lose an incredible source of knowledge that you will most certainly need during your flying.

Im glad to know that there are still civilised bonded jobs available.... good luck and enjoy it.

smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

No more discussions about people's experience within this thread. It was started as a question and answer thread, not a place to question peoples credentials. I've stated this before and there have been previous warnings.

Ask a question or post an answer, no more bickering. If your post isn't a question or an answer you'll earn a ban. If you want to query someones credentials PM Andy_G or myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭EI2011

is tenerife south a hard approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

This is a cool thread.

I've been reading back through it and its a great resource, I'm going to prune a lot of offtopic posts over the coming days and get it nice and tidy. Don't be offended if something get snipped, its for the greater good of making a good afternoon's read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

TFS: not a hard approach, radar vectors to an ILS...some turbulence induced by Mt. Teide but nothing too exciting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

pclancy wrote: »
    This is a cool thread.
    [\QUOTE]

I think it's dive bombed into a farcical thread. Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

Do any pilots experience discomfort while descending? (due to the change in air pressure)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Bearcat wrote: »
    I think it's dive bombed into a farcical thread. Just my 2c.
    I think it just needs less mickey waving and more stringent moderating than other threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 host_found

Hello All the readers and writers,

It’s an excellent pool of information coming straight from experienced pilots..

Thanks for all your time on writing here.

I have read the full thread from page 1...I felt like i was already in cockpit ;)
    I have few questions.

1) I am 35 and thinking about becoming an airline pilot. Is too late??
    I mean, do airline think i am rusted and not good to be taken on board??

2) I am an IT professional and quite successful in my career. Do have small family and mortgage. If, i somehow(still don’t know how) part the money, are there chances that i will earn well and pay off the €80 ~ 90 k loan?? Get seniority before i retire?? (of course, if i am hired in the first place ;)

3) Do you have to demonstrate all your knowledge on the day one you hold the stick/control column??
    I mean, you trained for 2 years then if you are lucky, you will be hired, on the day one of your job, can you remember everything?? Which checklist, buttons and so on.. that the training captain is watching you.. Or they know that you have just finished and got ATPL, you cant control from taxing, take-off and landing all by yourself..

Thanks in advance

host_found wrote: »
    Hello All the readers and writers,

It’s an excellent pool of information coming straight from experienced pilots..

Thanks for all your time on writing here.

I have read the full thread from page 1...I felt like i was already in cockpit ;)
    I have few questions.

You will get hired by a lot of airlines, however you may suffer if it was a 1 on 1 run off with a younger candidate as they would have more command/service potential, but that depends on the Airline. Like anything you're never too old until you feel too old. Making Captain/Senior Captain in some airlines may not be possible, but I would not worry too much. Ryanair promote guys within 5 years sometimes.
    2) I am an IT professional and quite successful in my career. Do have small family and mortgage. If, i somehow(still don’t know how) part the money, are there chances that i will earn well and pay off the €80 ~ 90 k loan?? Get seniority before i retire?? (of course, if i am hired in the first place ;)

This for me is the crux of the matter for a person such as yourself. When you start out as an FO you will be paid peanuts by all accounts and most likely have to move around a bit. For example I expect to make 28k this year gross and will be based at a yet to be disclosed location. The issue is that you will not be based in Ireland to start and the quoted figures range from 3-5 years with Ryanair for the base you want or a couple of months with Aer Arran if lucky.
    I would guess you will be taking a pretty large pay cut in any case. Lump in the at least 60k you will use to train etc etc and the possible type rating costs and you are looking at about 100k from zero to hero. What stops a lot of "family guys" from training is the costs and effect on family.
    A single Pringle like myself can live in abject poverty quite happily(and believe me I do!;)) but if I had a wife or family I would not want this life for them even if I knew it would get better. Now that by no means precludes you from flying but it makes you a little less flexible to roll with the punches. It's likely that you will be based in Britain or the Continent with many airlines and so you have to be prepared for that. FOship can be a little nomadic when you start out.
    3) Do you have to demonstrate all your knowledge on the day one you hold the stick/control column??
    I mean, you trained for 2 years then if you are lucky, you will be hired, on the day one of your job, can you remember everything?? Which checklist, buttons and so on.. that the training captain is watching you.. Or they know that you have just finished and got ATPL, you cant control from taxing, take-off and landing all by yourself..

Thanks in advance

It varies by airline. I recently went through a process and it went like this:

Apply

Sent a questionnaire by email to submit

Called for interview where they asked me about me and my likes dislikes and hobbies and more or less got to know me as a person and how I would fit in with their airlines etc etc

Called for second interview where all the technical knowledge was tested by a panel. There was 1 pilot, one mystery man, one person who I think was from Ops and a person from HR. They asked questions first about the workings of an aircraft such as how the engines worked, how certain readings were got through pitots etc, why and when we used flaps. I was then asked to describe a situation where I faced abnormal conditions or stress in flight and detail my reactions and possible errors I made on reflection.
    Then I got the "what would you do if..." questions. That was more or less it for the day then

Then a 2 hour session in the sim where all by skills(and there were many:D) were tested. It was all manual control stuff like, climbs, turns, descents, landings, take offs and a fair weather ILS followed by a "foul weather" ILS. The guy doing it was laid back and pretty cool. He made a few jokes and told me that he was going to crash me no matter what. He gave me failure after failure until I could keep her in the air no longer. That so he said was their way of seeing how much I could take and in his words so that "even with no wings, engines or fin I would still be trying to do something". They don't expect you to know all the switches and odds and ends in the cockpit, just the basics and the Type Rating teaches you all the checks and Procedures etc.

I then got a letter in the mail telling me I was successful and offered a place in the Type Rating course. Thats where I am now.

Next week hopefully I will move on to Base training and after that Line Training. Then it's all blue skies....hopefully!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

LeftBase wrote: »
    You will get hired by a lot of airlines, however you may suffer if it was a 1 on 1 run off with a younger candidate as they would have more command/service potential, but that depends on the Airline. Like anything you're never too old until you feel too old. Making Captain/Senior Captain in some airlines may not be possible, but I would not worry too much. Ryanair promote guys within 5 years sometimes.

This for me is the crux of the matter for a person such as yourself. When you start out as an FO you will be paid peanuts by all accounts and most likely have to move around a bit. For example I expect to make 28k this year gross and will be based at a yet to be disclosed location. The issue is that you will not be based in Ireland to start and the quoted figures range from 3-5 years with Ryanair for the base you want or a couple of months with Aer Arran if lucky.
    I would guess you will be taking a pretty large pay cut in any case. Lump in the at least 60k you will use to train etc etc and the possible type rating costs and you are looking at about 100k from zero to hero. What stops a lot of "family guys" from training is the costs and effect on family.
    A single Pringle like myself can live in abject poverty quite happily(and believe me I do!;)) but if I had a wife or family I would not want this life for them even if I knew it would get better. Now that by no means precludes you from flying but it makes you a little less flexible to roll with the punches. It's likely that you will be based in Britain or the Continent with many airlines and so you have to be prepared for that. FOship can be a little nomadic when you start out.

It varies by airline. I recently went through a process and it went like this:

Apply

Sent a questionnaire by email to submit

Called for interview where they asked me about me and my likes dislikes and hobbies and more or less got to know me as a person and how I would fit in with their airlines etc etc

Called for second interview where all the technical knowledge was tested by a panel. There was 1 pilot, one mystery man, one person who I think was from Ops and a person from HR. They asked questions first about the workings of an aircraft such as how the engines worked, how certain readings were got through pitots etc, why and when we used flaps. I was then asked to describe a situation where I faced abnormal conditions or stress in flight and detail my reactions and possible errors I made on reflection.
    Then I got the "what would you do if..." questions. That was more or less it for the day then

Then a 2 hour session in the sim where all by skills(and there were many:D) were tested. It was all manual control stuff like, climbs, turns, descents, landings, take offs and a fair weather ILS followed by a "foul weather" ILS. The guy doing it was laid back and pretty cool. He made a few jokes and told me that he was going to crash me no matter what. He gave me failure after failure until I could keep her in the air no longer. That so he said was their way of seeing how much I could take and in his words so that "even with no wings, engines or fin I would still be trying to do something". They don't expect you to know all the switches and odds and ends in the cockpit, just the basics and the Type Rating teaches you all the checks and Procedures etc.

I then got a letter in the mail telling me I was successful and offered a place in the Type Rating course. Thats where I am now.

Next week hopefully I will move on to Base training and after that Line Training. Then it's all blue skies....hopefully!;)

Best of luck with the TR and thanks for describing the process :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

host_found wrote: »
    It's not too late but it's very late indeed. Your rivals will be in the mid twenties. You will be nearly forty. It's not a killer and people have overcome this before. Many older guys taken on by the airlines actually have other flying experience. More on this later. You with less than 300 hours will be at a disadvantage. One thing your age won't help with is getting through tests and exams and type ratings.
    Having a family is a problem for you not for the employers. I knew one guy who left his family for a year to train. Came back for a while and finally paid for a job in Turkey. Ryanair the same. You will be based where they say not where you want. When you are made Captain, you're moved again. This will test your relationship to it's limits.

I mentioned that older people often have the advantage of flying experience before they get the job. The jobs where they get their experience are poorly paid if at all and are totally family unfriendly. You will barely earn enough money to cover your own expenses yet alone a family. I don't know if you saw the series 'Bush Pilots'. £12k a year and living in tents in the bush is par for the course there. Same for instructing and most other so called starter jobs. Many newly trained pilots simply cannot afford to take a low paid flying job because of their loans etc and end up back in their old job marking time.

Thanks in advance
    No everything is accumulative, by the time you get there you will be able for it hopefully and trained to a very high standard by the operator itself. If not you will be ruthlessly cut. But there is pressure to perform to a minimum standard straight away. This applies to the low paid starter jobs too. I should add. There are no real easy flying jobs. In fact the low paid jobs can be the toughest and most dangerous.

Don't want to put you off but you need a realistic perspective. To sum it up, you are at the upper limit for starting to become a pilot. There are few jobs and experience counts. You can expect expect to be based out of Ireland away from your family and moved around if you do manage to get a job. The pay and conditions will not compare to your old job very favourably and you will be expected to maintain a very high standard of competency right throughout your career which can end unexpectedly for various reasons.

But apart from all that. It's great.

I expect to make 28k this year gross
    How are you calculating this? And what about the repayments on your type rating/bond?

Our max hiring age for low time First Officers (circa 1500 hrs) is 40, I presume some other airlines are similar.

smurfjed

Watching tonights Bush pilots TV show, a Canadian pilot was talking about storms and associated winds, he said that one of the problems is that once you are flying, if the wind doubles, the lift will increase, and the wings might fall off.... Guess that one learns something new everyday :)  

Smurfjed

• Advertisement

smurfjed wrote: »
    How are you calculating this? And what about the repayments on your type rating/bond?

Our max hiring age for low time First Officers (circa 1500 hrs) is 40, I presume some other airlines are similar.

smurfjed

It's what I worked out taking my hourly/base pay and putting it against the ballpark minimum hours they said I'll get in year 1. An unexact science admittedly but just I'm likely to have over rather than underestimated. Was just giving him an idea of what it pays like when you start.

I think I owe them minimum 25% of my pay after tax for 4 years, however you can elect to pay as much as 45% to get s shorter bond, but I'm in no hurry anywhere.

Not knowing what country you are going to be in, lets just estimate 20% tax, so thats 28000-5600= 22400, 25% of that is 5600, leaving you with 16800, give or take for 4 years. I hope that you get per diems or even tips :)

host_found, jobs for low time first officers are scare, but the one that LeftBase has obtained is one of the few where you dont have to pay upfront, however, the salary is low, I might even say its crap. Do you think that you could survive on that with your family, especially considering that you have to repay the training loans, and support yourself away from home.

This is a harsh reality of where the industry has ended up.

smurfjed

Not knowing what country you are going to be in, lets just estimate 20% tax, so thats 28000-5600= 22400, 25% of that is 5600, leaving you with 16800, give or take for 4 years. I hope that you get per diems or even tips :)

Well as I said 28k is a rough gross(in more ways than one) figure!;) It's ok though I quite like those lidl ready meal things.....how that will lie with the AME remains to be seen.....:D
    host_found, jobs for low time first officers are scarce, but the one that LeftBase has obtained is one of the few where you dont have to pay upfront, however, the salary is low, I might even say its crap. Do you think that you could survive on that with your family, especially considering that you have to repay the training loans, and support yourself away from home.

This is a harsh reality of where the industry has ended up.

smurfjed

I didnt pay a figure up front, but I did make a commitment when I signed on the dotted line to a certain amount per month off my wage.....so it is a similar effect...just paying with money I dont have!

And crap is what you make of it!;) When I'm on 28 squillion a year with Emirates at least I'll have a decent bench mark to compare to when I'm sunning myself by the pool waiting for my super model to serve me my lidl ready meal(which I assume I will be rendered chemically dependent on).

Have to start somewhere to go anywhere!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 seller567

Great thread. I'm afraid I'm asking an extremely basic question but it's one that frightens the crap out of me every time. I'm a nervous flyer as it is but I've been getting better over time.

When you are descending for landing, there's that part where it sounds like the engines have just been switched off or have cut out. You're probably still 10 minutes from landing at that stage. What is happening then. I seriously nearly have heart failure at that point and think we're just gliding.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 host_found

Hi LeftBase, Bluecode and smujfed,

Thanks for all your replies with useful info.

I knew my chances are pretty slim with my age. But i am only feeling an adult now! so getting old is a long way but airlines, unfortunately look at numbers only :mad:

We only get one life and IT career has priority 2. But started in IT because of its low initial investment of 4 years cheap degree!

Is there a God and wonder if they can read online forum!!

Cheers guys,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

seller567 wrote: »
    Great thread. I'm afraid I'm asking an extremely basic question but it's one that frightens the crap out of me every time. I'm a nervous flyer as it is but I've been getting better over time.

When you are descending for landing, there's that part where it sounds like the engines have just been switched off or have cut out. You're probably still 10 minutes from landing at that stage. What is happening then. I seriously nearly have heart failure at that point and think we're just gliding.

That is just the sound of the engines being reduced to idle in order to start the descent from cruising altitude. Depending on aircraft type and altitude, that may be anywhere from 30 minutes prior to landing onwards.
    Just think of it like being in a car; in order to slow down, you have to take your foot off the accelerator and let the engine idle. With an aircraft, you are having to lose altitude as well as speed and also a hell of a lot of inertia, so it takes a lot longer!

That is just the sound of the engines being reduced to idle in order to start the descent from cruising altitude.
    at least in our case it's not idle as the resulting rate of descent is too excessive, especially if we have chosen a high descent speed.

LeftBase, with that salary, I wonder how long it will be before the novelty of flying wears off, and you realize that it's just a job.

Smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Priority Right

LeftBase, with that salary, I wonder how long it will be before the novelty of flying wears off, and you realize that it's just a job.

Smurfjed

True. It's a great job but not at that pay. I hope you get the hours and jump to a better place or the payscale rises fast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

seller567 wrote: »
    Years ago I was taking some people flying in a Cessna 172. As I came into land I reduced power quite abruptly. A girl in the back screamed. She thought the engine failed. Lesson learned. An easy mistake to make.
    Oh even if the salary is good. The novelty soon wears off and it becomes just a job. Not that I even have a good salary. An often enjoyable job but a job nonetheless. The transition can be quite abrupt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Like a magnet I keeping peeking into this troll house and some genuine posters here too.

Re the novelty wearing off......it never was a novelty but a career that for me I was determined to succeed otherwise honey carts beckoned.

16000hrs later, 10000hrs in command, flown the lot from **** box turbo props to heavies today.... every day is a school day. If you keep that mantra branded into your forehead you will have a cherished career. Likewise the guy/gal in the rhs, be it at your peril you diss them with their lowly 400hrs.....these guys are mines of info and some damn fine handlers as well.

Many of my pals are multi million aires from my college days where i graded in the finance but do I regret one minute of my choosen path? nope....I still reef thru the books Pre my sim sessions, I still feel nervous on check rides, I'm still humble irrespective of the bluster I come out with.

Aviation is a humble game......live by the sword, die by the sword. End of.

Advertisement