Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Black Mesa Source Release Date Announced!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Seen a few posts around the internet they are not finished it fully yet but will be releasing a good 8-10 hour chunk of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

They've got up until Lamba Core for the release which is a good proportion of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Seen a few posts around the internet they are not finished it fully yet but will be releasing a good 8-10 hour chunk of it.

Black Mesa: Episode 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Sweet. Will never see HL2E3, so this should fill the hole. Half Life 1 is far better in my opinion (bar the bit in the alien world).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Is this a game or a mod?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Tallon wrote: »
    Is this a game or a mod?

Mod for HL, making it years now.

Crap, I don't know where my copy is, and I don't want to buy it :(

It says you need The Orange Box to play it, which I have... Will that do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!!!!!!11111 It's actually happening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It says you need The Orange Box to play it, which I have... Will that do?

I am pretty certain that owning The Orange Box will be sufficient.

I am pretty certain that owning The Orange Box will be sufficient.
    Awesome :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Steam????

It's a full HL mod that uses any source engine game but models itself completely on the original HL1 game.

They released a Half Life: Source game, but this was a fan flop, albeit an official release. It brought the game into Source and introduced physics and all, but as a re-release it failed to properly improve on any of the games assets or environment. So the team that's been modding BM:S has lovingly crafted the game from the ground up with completely remastered HD Models, sounds, textures, etc. etc.

Fantasmically excited to install this one and play through HL1 again. I remember originally playing the game on 640x480 fullscreen resolution. Of course, that was back with CRT Monitors; CRT monitors of course worked with any resolution quite sharply unlike LCD screens, but yeah you couldn't fake how horribly low res the game textures were.

I will always however miss the Original MP5 they put in the game (most re-installs and re-releases of HL1/GOTY have the weapon replaced with an M4, which I loathe for nostalgia issues)

Overheal wrote: »
    Steam????

It's a full HL mod that uses any source engine game but models itself completely on the original HL1 game.

They released a Half Life: Source game, but this was a fan flop, albeit an official release. It brought the game into Source and introduced physics and all, but as a re-release it failed to properly improve on any of the games assets or environment. So the team that's been modding BM:S has lovingly crafted the game from the ground up with completely remastered HD Models, sounds, textures, etc. etc.

Fantasmically excited to install this one and play through HL1 again. I remember originally playing the game on 640x480 fullscreen resolution. Of course, that was back with CRT Monitors; CRT monitors of course worked with any resolution quite sharply unlike LCD screens, but yeah you couldn't fake how horribly low res the game textures were.

I will always however miss the Original MP5 they put in the game (most re-installs and re-releases of HL1/GOTY have the weapon replaced with an M4, which I loathe for nostalgia issues)
    I'm old school, I have it on disc :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You would have had to added it to steam one time... ONE TIME... /rant

I think I might still have it on disc. I still have Homeworld on disc. God they need to make Homeworld 3 already... at least THQ has the IP rights to it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've not played the Steam HL1 because it didn't include that beautiful graphical update that made the assault rifles look less like ass. Shallow, I know.

You would have had to added it to steam one time... ONE TIME... /rant

I think I might still have it on disc. I still have Homeworld on disc. God they need to make Homeworld 3 already... at least THQ has the IP rights to it again.
    No? I don't think I even had Internet when I got it...

No? I don't think I even had Internet when I got it...

Are you talking about HL1? It's a mod for HL2, which remakes HL1. If you have the orange box, HL2, or possible anything that uses the source engine you'll be good to go.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Are you talking about HL1? It's a mod for HL2, which remakes HL1. If you have the orange box, HL2, or possible anything that uses the source engine you'll be good to go.
    Ah grand, yeah that's what I asked, if you needed HL for it and was told yes...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Pretty sure there was a console command to get the MP5 back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Fantastic, can't wait to try this. Hope it's as good as it looks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

You just need to download steam and install Source SDK Base 2007 from the steam-->tools menu. Source SDK 2007 was released for free a few years ago

If you ever owned a steam or valve game then chances are you created an online steam account so you would be better off locating those details and using them to login to steam so you can access your purchased games as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

its even made the BBC website

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19463712

its fourth on the most popular read pages of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

kingtiger wrote: »

I still can't believe valve haven't jumped on this further. I bet after release when the millions of downloads are hit that they will act then.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I still can't believe valve haven't jumped on this further. I bet after release when the millions of downloads are hit that they will act then.

I hope Valve stay well away from this, I do want to see the next part at some stage & thats the only way we'll get to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Second already!

I reckon they could get a couple of hundred thousand downloads quite fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Didn't expect to see this come out. I remember following it when it was first announced, then I complete forgot about it. Really looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭briany

Holy ****e!

This is great gaming news right here. I never finished the original Half Life, I got up to the alien city bit and then for some reason I cannot remember, lost interest so this'll be good to play again. It's honestly a project that I thought was dead or at least in serious hibernation. I know that they would occasionally post updates but I'd seen enough vapourware to know that the odd status update would be nothing to get the hopes up over. Anyway, will be looking forward to this. Time to reinstall Half Life 2 from Steam!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man, can't wait to play this. Been so long since I played Half Life, even Blue Shift and especially Opposing Force were brilliant. Really hope my laptop can play it since the last time I played a HL game was on my desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Gabe has said he can't wait to play it, Valve are too community savvy to put anything negative out about this.

They might even get a boost of sales for the orange box out of it as people will half lost disks etc so will rebuy the steam version I know I almost bought the full half life set in the sale only reason I didn't was because my app wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Apparently you dont need to buy or own anything to get this working (see my post earlier).

Retro review of original Half Life here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/6126-Half-Life (if you're reading this you'll probably enjoy it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Feel like buying a crowbar to celebrate! :)

Advertisement