Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Mesa Source Release Date Announced!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Seen a few posts around the internet they are not finished it fully yet but will be releasing a good 8-10 hour chunk of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

They've got up until Lamba Core for the release which is a good proportion of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Seen a few posts around the internet they are not finished it fully yet but will be releasing a good 8-10 hour chunk of it.

Black Mesa: Episode 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Sweet. Will never see HL2E3, so this should fill the hole. Half Life 1 is far better in my opinion (bar the bit in the alien world).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Is this a game or a mod?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Tallon wrote: »
    Is this a game or a mod?

Mod for HL, making it years now.

Crap, I don't know where my copy is, and I don't want to buy it :(

It says you need The Orange Box to play it, which I have... Will that do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Simi

Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!!!!!!11111 It's actually happening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I am pretty certain that owning The Orange Box will be sufficient.

I am pretty certain that owning The Orange Box will be sufficient.
    Awesome :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,050 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Steam????

It's a full HL mod that uses any source engine game but models itself completely on the original HL1 game.

They released a Half Life: Source game, but this was a fan flop, albeit an official release. It brought the game into Source and introduced physics and all, but as a re-release it failed to properly improve on any of the games assets or environment. So the team that's been modding BM:S has lovingly crafted the game from the ground up with completely remastered HD Models, sounds, textures, etc. etc.

Fantasmically excited to install this one and play through HL1 again. I remember originally playing the game on 640x480 fullscreen resolution. Of course, that was back with CRT Monitors; CRT monitors of course worked with any resolution quite sharply unlike LCD screens, but yeah you couldn't fake how horribly low res the game textures were.

I will always however miss the Original MP5 they put in the game (most re-installs and re-releases of HL1/GOTY have the weapon replaced with an M4, which I loathe for nostalgia issues)

Overheal wrote: »
    Steam????

It's a full HL mod that uses any source engine game but models itself completely on the original HL1 game.

They released a Half Life: Source game, but this was a fan flop, albeit an official release. It brought the game into Source and introduced physics and all, but as a re-release it failed to properly improve on any of the games assets or environment. So the team that's been modding BM:S has lovingly crafted the game from the ground up with completely remastered HD Models, sounds, textures, etc. etc.

Fantasmically excited to install this one and play through HL1 again. I remember originally playing the game on 640x480 fullscreen resolution. Of course, that was back with CRT Monitors; CRT monitors of course worked with any resolution quite sharply unlike LCD screens, but yeah you couldn't fake how horribly low res the game textures were.

I will always however miss the Original MP5 they put in the game (most re-installs and re-releases of HL1/GOTY have the weapon replaced with an M4, which I loathe for nostalgia issues)
    I'm old school, I have it on disc :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,050 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You would have had to added it to steam one time... ONE TIME... /rant

I think I might still have it on disc. I still have Homeworld on disc. God they need to make Homeworld 3 already... at least THQ has the IP rights to it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've not played the Steam HL1 because it didn't include that beautiful graphical update that made the assault rifles look less like ass. Shallow, I know.

You would have had to added it to steam one time... ONE TIME... /rant

I think I might still have it on disc. I still have Homeworld on disc. God they need to make Homeworld 3 already... at least THQ has the IP rights to it again.
    No? I don't think I even had Internet when I got it...

No? I don't think I even had Internet when I got it...

Are you talking about HL1? It's a mod for HL2, which remakes HL1. If you have the orange box, HL2, or possible anything that uses the source engine you'll be good to go.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Are you talking about HL1? It's a mod for HL2, which remakes HL1. If you have the orange box, HL2, or possible anything that uses the source engine you'll be good to go.
    Ah grand, yeah that's what I asked, if you needed HL for it and was told yes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Pretty sure there was a console command to get the MP5 back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Fantastic, can't wait to try this. Hope it's as good as it looks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

You just need to download steam and install Source SDK Base 2007 from the steam-->tools menu. Source SDK 2007 was released for free a few years ago

If you ever owned a steam or valve game then chances are you created an online steam account so you would be better off locating those details and using them to login to steam so you can access your purchased games as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

its even made the BBC website

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19463712

its fourth on the most popular read pages of the day

• kingtiger wrote: »

I still can't believe valve haven't jumped on this further. I bet after release when the millions of downloads are hit that they will act then.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I still can't believe valve haven't jumped on this further. I bet after release when the millions of downloads are hit that they will act then.

I hope Valve stay well away from this, I do want to see the next part at some stage & thats the only way we'll get to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

kingtiger wrote: »

Second already!

I reckon they could get a couple of hundred thousand downloads quite fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Didn't expect to see this come out. I remember following it when it was first announced, then I complete forgot about it. Really looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭briany

Holy ****e!

This is great gaming news right here. I never finished the original Half Life, I got up to the alien city bit and then for some reason I cannot remember, lost interest so this'll be good to play again. It's honestly a project that I thought was dead or at least in serious hibernation. I know that they would occasionally post updates but I'd seen enough vapourware to know that the odd status update would be nothing to get the hopes up over. Anyway, will be looking forward to this. Time to reinstall Half Life 2 from Steam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man, can't wait to play this. Been so long since I played Half Life, even Blue Shift and especially Opposing Force were brilliant. Really hope my laptop can play it since the last time I played a HL game was on my desktop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    kingtiger wrote: »

Gabe has said he can't wait to play it, Valve are too community savvy to put anything negative out about this.

They might even get a boost of sales for the orange box out of it as people will half lost disks etc so will rebuy the steam version I know I almost bought the full half life set in the sale only reason I didn't was because my app wouldn't work.

Apparently you dont need to buy or own anything to get this working (see my post earlier).

Retro review of original Half Life here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/6126-Half-Life (if you're reading this you'll probably enjoy it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Feel like buying a crowbar to celebrate! :)

Apparently you dont need to buy or own anything to get this working (see my post earlier).

Retro review of original Half Life here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/6126-Half-Life (if you're reading this you'll probably enjoy it)
    What earlier post?

• LOL - Fancy waiting another 8 years?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/operation-black-mesa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Half life 2 is on sale on steam, 66% off. Clever out of valve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

What earlier post?

I think he meant this one.

You just need to download steam and install Source SDK Base 2007 from the steam-->tools menu. Source SDK 2007 was released for free a few years ago

If you ever owned a steam or valve game then chances are you created an online steam account so you would be better off locating those details and using them to login to steam so you can access your purchased games as well.

Just installed it myself in the hope that it works.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Just doing a little bit of research, and apparently you do not need any game to play it. All that is needed is that the Source 2007 SDK is installed - and that is available free to any Steam user.

Black Mesa System Requirements

• Advertisement

will be interesting to see how this pans out:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94128543

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

hey guys they are trying to get this game on steam , theres a new system now where people can vote for what games they want to come to steam, its called Steam Greenlight.

Black mesa of this moment is sitting on 27%
    it obviously needs votes , all you need is to sign into it the same as your steam account etc heres the site please vote as you can imagine without steam this game will be very hard to download on release day etc.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...43&ExtraParams

Help out if you can and spread th word:D

An interesting link for tracking the progress on Greenlight (black mesa is the green line)

http://stewartatkins.co.uk/greenlight/

p.s. I wouldnt worry about having trouble downloading on the day of release as I'm sure they'll have a torrent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Am I misunderstanding things in saying that Black Mesa: Source is a free-to-play Mod / Download, which, if added to Steam: Greenlight, will become something which you have to then pay for??

Edit: My Bad; I gave a thumbs-up to a few games on Greenlight, and each one had the text "Would you buy this game if it were available in Steam?".
    I'm 99% sure that the same thing was written on Black Mesa: Source, 2 days ago.

Regardless, it now says "Would you play this game if it were available in Steam?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭Elessar

Balls. No Mac version. I'm guessing it wasn't done with OpelGL?

• Advertisement

Am I misunderstanding things in saying that Black Mesa: Source is a free-to-play Mod / Download, which, if added to Steam: Greenlight, will become something which you have to then pay for??
    No i believe it will be distributed etc for free still, as theres a copyright issue where valve obviously own the original in every shape and form, and if these guys who made the mod try to charge for it valve will be after them pretty nifty.

As far as i know it will be for free anyway via steam if it gets voted in

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Elessar wrote: »
    Balls. No Mac version. I'm guessing it wasn't done with OpelGL?

The older version of the source engine they are using would't have Mac support as it was added in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I would pay for it.

It just got greenlit on steam :D

It just got greenlit on steam :D

Yeah, hopefully it will be released on Steam quickly - although I could see Valve not wanting to release it on Steam until it is fully completed with the Xen levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yeah, hopefully it will be released on Steam quickly - although I could see Valve not wanting to release it on Steam until it is fully completed with the Xen levels.
    They shouldn't be allowed to release it until it's completely finished imo. Greenlight shouldn't be able to become home to unfinished games, accepting merely game ideas is bad enough.

Neither should they be encouraged to release it in episodic format since I think we've all seen how that goes within the HL universe. :)

gizmo wrote: »
    They shouldn't be allowed to release it until it's completely finished imo. Greenlight shouldn't be able to become home to unfinished games, accepting merely game ideas is bad enough.

Neither should they be encouraged to release it in episodic format since I think we've all seen how that goes within the HL universe. :)

Agreed. I remember they announced in 09 I think it was almost ready. Now we're getting a chunk of it but it remains incomplete. I know the Xen sections arn't very popular. I didn't mind them too much, & felt they really conveyed you were in a very different place.

I'd prefer wait another while & get the whole game, but sure what can you do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭briany

Agreed. I remember they announced in 09 I think it was almost ready. Now we're getting a chunk of it but it remains incomplete. I know the Xen sections arn't very popular. I didn't mind them too much, & felt they really conveyed you were in a very different place.

I'd prefer wait another while & get the whole game, but sure what can you do

God knows how long we could be waiting. I'd love the full game too but I don't doubt that the people behind this mod are very proud of their work and want to give something to the public who've waiting so patiently for so long.

briany wrote: »
    God knows how long we could be waiting. I'd love the full game too but I don't doubt that the people behind this mod are very proud of their work and want to give something to the public who've waiting so patiently for so long.

What I'm saying is, we've waiting this long, I'm sure most of us would rather wait a little while longer & get the full game...as opposed to this 'episodic' release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

What I'm saying is, we've waiting this long, I'm sure most of us would rather wait a little while longer & get the full game...as opposed to this 'episodic' release
    Indeed. As long as we get it before HL3 then I think we should be all right.

As an aside, just watching the last trailer released for the mod really makes me reflect on how poorly served we've been with single player FPS titles in the last decade. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement