Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri-ing my best...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

catweazle wrote: »
    I loved Brian Boru the year I did it, swim is lovely but the run is a real killer for the first 3 or 4k, very steep hill!

Ah bo**ox! I'm not made for running up hills!:eek:

Sun 1st June 2012

Nothing. Recovery.

Mon 2nd June 2012

Run: 1km warm-up @ 5:15 min km pace.
    6 x (500m @ 4:15 min km pace, 500m 5:15 min km pace)
    1km rest
    Total 8km

Tue 3rd June 2012

Run: 7 km in 36 mins @ 5:08 min km pace.
    Swim: 1900m as
    WU: 300m fc, 200m kick, 100m fc, 12 x 25m mod
    Main: 2x (200m fc, 2 x 75m fast)
    CD: 200m fc

Main should have been 4x but the wife had got out of the pool early and was waiting for me. First proper swim in a while and I can feel it in the shoulders today.

Wednesday 4th June 2012

Missed my usual lunchtme gym run as it was one of the lads birthdays so we went out to eat. I then had a few pieces of cake in the afternoon too.

I decided to run home from work and enjoy the sun rather than wait for the inevitable rain that would no doubt happen later on. Route was from the quays, up towards Whitworth Road and then along the canal to the 12th lock, up past the NAC and up to Tyrrelstown.

Started off a little faster than I should have but settled into an easy pace by Broombridge. All along the canal was quite nice. Really quiet mostly despite being next to a railwayline and major roads on some of the route (although you can't really see them). At the 12th Lock things got a bit tougher and the climb from the river nr the hospital up past the NAC was hard. Once at the top I was fine again until I got nearer home and all the walkers were out which meant I had to up my pace slightly to look less like a plodder. 16.40km @ 5:45 min per km pace.

Absolutely wrecked from the run though today. Couldn't get out of bed for swimming and sat at my desk wondering if I can get away with locking my door and going to sleep.

Thursday 5th July 2012

10km at 5:10km per min pace on the treadmill. Felt ok and legs felt much better after the run.

Friday 6th July 2012

Press ups. 12-9-9-10-13
    2 x Pull-ups, dips, Chins (assisted 33kg). Need to start putting the weight down so I have les assistance.
    5km run @ 5:07 pace.

Saturday 7th July 2012

Had a few beers last night so didn't want to get up this moning. Club run though so had to be there for 9:00am. 12.36km at an easy pace. Nice to see the sun.

Sunday 8th July 2012

Day off.

Monday 9th July 2012

Early morning swim. I've been neglecting my swmi over the last month or two so am making a conscious effort to increase my swimming starting this week. Monday is going to be an optional swim with 3 other days of more structured training.
    30 mins - 1600m. 200m WU, 1400m Pull.

• Advertisement

Monday 9th July 2012

Lunchtime Run. Interval session. 1.5km warm up @ 5:50 min km pace followed by 6 x (400m @ 4:10 pace, 400m @ 5:10 pace). Cool down.

Tuesday 12th July

Morning. 45 min Swim. Around 1600m mainly working on my kick.

Lunch. Run. 32mins+. 6.5 km at 4:58 min km pace. Felt easy enough.

Evening. Turbo. 1 hour. Mainly gettting used to the TT position. 10 min warm-up followed by 9 x (3 min hard, 2 min easy). 5 min cool down.

Wednesday 11th July 2012

10km run @ around 5:07min/km pace.

Thursday 12th July / Friday 13th July 2012

Rest days

Saturday 14th July

22km l/s/r

Sunday 15th July

50km group cycle. Easy enough pace then the last 5km I was flat out racing and put a couple of minutes into the other lad. Happy with that. Also first time out on the TT bike. It was my only bike available as I've no rear cassette for the road bike.

Monday 16th July

Run. Hill intervals. 1km warm up. 5 x (500m hill, 500m normal) .5km CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

So whats the new bike like, notice much difference from the road bike?

It was weird getting down on the bars at first as every small movement is magnified. Hamstrings also a bit sore the next day due to different muscles being used. The bike is a lot lighter and even seems to be stiffer than the road bike, as in more power gets transferred to the wheels.

Usually the lad I left behind would be tucked in behind me on my wheel so to leave him behind like I did fills me with a bit more confidence in using the bike.

Still not got the wheels yet so on cheapo training wheels but hopefully they will turn up this week. If not I'll race it at Beast of the East as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Sounds deadly, might look at one next year.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 17th July 2012

Lunchtime was a 6.5km easy run. These have been becoming a little too easy lately so I upped the pace again to run at 5:00min/km pace and then gradually increased along the distance to 4:50min/km which was still reasonably easy.

Evening time is usually a swim/turbo but the pool was shut and I decided I was going to do the club TT course to get myself a rough time to aim for when I finally do get to race it. Legs were sore setting off - as were my sitting bones as I'm still getting used to the ISM saddle - but I soon was at the start point and ready to go.

Waiting for the traffic lights to change and then I was off. First obstacle was over taking two horse and traps that were racing. Soon past them and up to the Cappagh roundabout and left into the industrial estate. Then the wind hit me. I'm not sure what direction it was coming at but on the whole of the loop it never seemed to be behind me and the 3 laps were a bit of a slog. I was hoping for <32 mins but it was just over the 33 min mark. Happy enough I guess with that considering the legs were tired and the wind was worse than it's been for a while on the loop.

First real go on the TT bike and it went ok. Feel like I'm sliding forward slightly on the bars/pads so although my arms/elbows will be at a right angle to start with my forearms end up moving forward opening that angle. Not sure if I'm hunching slightly, pulling my shoulders back which is causing it. Something for me to bear in mind.Also a slight twinge in my kneecap. Could be the new shoes and a slightly differrent cleat position

Other than that I was fairly happy. I seemed to be affected less by the wind than I would have been on the racing bike and I feel like I can keep a higher pace with less effort. I will definitely be using the bike on Sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Good work Couerdelion, just did a quick catch up there. On the sliding forward on the saddle issue, I have had the same, twice, and both times it was because my saddle was tilting slightly, and it only takes a very slight tilt forward. So I just tightened it up and leveled it up and had no problem since. BTW Brain Boru - did it last year, wasn't much fun, i actually loved the run but the heavy rain on the bike made should that I was crap!

Well training was virtually non-existent after Tuesday last week. After a good few months of being able to just tick over in work my manager has been moved and I've been given his job but that's as well as continuing to do my own :rolleyes:. End of last week was spent formulating strategy, meeting different parts of the organisation and putting plans in place to get the department functioning as I want it to. It will mean less time to train though :mad:

I've put Wed-Sat down as taper for Sundays Race. Makes me feel better!

Beast of the East - Race Report

Down to Base2Race on Saturday to register. This is the second race that had pre-registration down there and it's great to get everything done the day before. Goody bag had a couple of chocolate bars and a BotE buff. Makes a nice change to t-shirts.

Sunday morning I was up early enough to get down to Roundwood for just after 7.00am, parked up and walked to transition. There was plenty of space in the transition area all nicely labeled with number, name and swim wave printed ona label. Excellent. I was set up pretty quickly and then just hung around waiting till the last minute to get my wetsuit on. I saw the only other club member racing at the briefing and had a quick chat about targets for the race and they were similar enough to me.

The first wave went through and were off quick enough. By the first buoy one racer had a substantial lead already (Stephen Early?) and then we were counted into the water. The water was pretty murky - a reddy black colour and cold enough. I was shivering waiting for the start. I was conscious not to end up at the back as I normally do which gives me an extra 50m to swim. So I was around the second/third row - and we we were off...

I got a few punches and kicks in the first 50m but I was into a rhythm soon enough. I was expecting carnage at the first buoy but I took it slightly wide and was round easy enough. I was swimming just behind a group of 4-5 swimmers and decided to stay in with them and save some energy down the first long straight. About 3/4 of the way down I felt I could be going faster so I went through the middle. At the second turn I noticed I had the teammate at the side of me but by the third buoy he had slipped back a little. I managed to get onto someone else's feet and I got a tow most of the way back to the finish. No dizziness getting out (thanks to the tips on earplugs!), and into T1 in 29:36. (108/239)

T1 was as usual slow. I had thought about doing the shoes on pedals transition but there was a long run across grass to the mount line so decided to sit down, socks and shoes on and then run out. 1:59. (197/239)

I was out on the bike just behind the teammate and quickly overtook him only to be faced by a huge hill on which several people over took me. This continued to be the theme for the whole race. On the flats and downhills I would power past people, only for them to catch and pass again on the uphills. Highlight of the cycle was swallowing a fly and then bing sick in my mouth as I choked on it. Spat it out straigh into a motor cyclist who was over taking me. On the final climb out of Roundwood I was right behind the teammate. 4kms later I was nearly 2 mins behind. Also noticed my seatpost had slipped down a good few cm's possibly due to the state of the roads and the vibrations. 1:21:46 (109/239)

Ran into T2 and had a quick enough transition for me. Shoes off, runners on and away (142/239)

The run starts with 2km more or less all uphill. There was also hundreds of flies around and I was swallowing these again and dry heaving as I choked on them. Shuffled up the hill hemorrhaging places slowly but surely. Once the 2km was done it was still hilly but not as much and I managed to hold my position pretty well (4-5 places lost on the rest of the run). Final 2kms were down hill and my hamstrings took a hammering. I was glad to see the finish line in the end. (172/239)

Overall: 2:45.24 (129/239)

I was happy enough with my performance overall. Swim time is about where I am hoping to be for this year. Bike and run were always going to be below my targets as I am not good at/built for hills but they're in thepercentile I would have expected. Someone pulling 12st up a hill is always going to be at a decent advantage over me and my close to 17st. I keep saying it and that's because it's true but I really need to focus on my weight if I'm going to get faster and thus more competitive. I can keep thinking I'm big boned, but bones don't wobble when you jump up and down ;)
    Time to start logging my food in Training Peaks and meausuring portion sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

but bones don't wobble when you jump up and down ;)

Brilliant. :pac::pac:

Well done on the day. Its a bloody tough course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

After a good few months of being able to just tick over in work my manager has been moved and I've been given his job but that's as well as continuing to do my own . End of last week was spent formulating strategy, meeting different parts of the organisation and putting plans in place to get the department functioning as I want it to. It will mean less time to train though

Snap!! I haven't quite been given my bosses job (the extra salary would be nice) but he's moving on and I'm getting some of his responsibilities, budget and staff; and will also be making a play for more of his job to help pad out a certain experience section of my cv.......all for no extra money. Jaysus I must be mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Well done dude, very consistent in the swim and bike there in terms of position. Re the weight, think of it this way - each kg you lose is free speed :) MAy I ask, are you being coached? Someone holding you accountable?

griffin100 wrote: »
    Snap!! I haven't quite been given my bosses job (the extra salary would be nice) but he's moving on and I'm getting some of his responsibilities, budget and staff; and will also be making a play for more of his job to help pad out a certain experience section of my cv.......all for no extra money. Jaysus I must be mad.

Pretty much the same as me. In general I have it pretty easy and I know once I get on top of the extra work I'll be back to two hours for lunch to train. If I move I won't get that and it'll be alonger period to get into that comfort zone.
    Well done dude, very consistent in the swim and bike there in terms of position. Re the weight, think of it this way - each kg you lose is free speed :) MAy I ask, are you being coached? Someone holding you accountable?

No coach. Don't think I'm at that level and I aren't sure having someone to be accountable would stop me having a few beers or eating too much chocolate :)

Again training last week was pretty poor. From memory I managed to run 6.5km Monday and again on the Tuesday and the rest of the week was taken up with meetings.

Saturday 28th July - Kilkenny Tri Grand Prix Triathlon (Sprint)

Both my wife and brother in law were signed up for this and I was told I had to come down and watch, so I decided that I may as well sign up and race it.

Sign-on was pretty efficient and took less than 5 mins. We then drove out of town and parked in a camping site for €5. Added advantage of showers for afterwards. Cycled back into town and got set up in transition. I had a decent position right at the end of a rack and luckily that meant I had plenty of room. Rather than the bikes being racked in opposite directions a good few were all pointing the same way meaning very little room for shoes, runners etc.

I was in wave 9 so had a bit of a wait but it was sunny so sat near the entrance watching everyone else go off. Finally it was wave 9's turn.

Swim: I got in near the front and was nicely warmed up by the start. There was a bit of a current but it was possible to stay in position just about. Then the hooter sounded and we were off. I managed to get straight onto someones feet and after the initial sprint settled into a nice tempo. I was feeling pretty comfortable so went past the person I was drafting off as I had hit them a few times on the feet. Soon enough I had finished and I think I was third out of the water in my wave. It was a pretty tricky exit with a good few rocks in the water and I fell back into the river once and fell over a few rocks before a marshall helped me out. Time: 10:05 (43/533)

T1: It was a long T1. Back along the river bank path, up the stairs and a long run through transition to the bike. It was a long run out across grass so I put my shoes on but no socks for the first time ever!
    Time: 5:00 (135/533)

Cycle: I struggled getting clipped in but one done I was off. Down a small hill and then up the only real climb of the day. It was an out and back route on open roads. The cycle was pretty uneventful. 25km or so with a few shouts at the club members I saw coming the otherway. At the turn around point I saw a couple of fast looking people whom I decided to try and stay in front of and it must have worked as I didn't get passed all cycle (except when I couldn't clip in). Coming in to the finish the heavens opened and it started to hail.
    Time:40:19 (15/533)

T2: A steep downhill run on wet grass to transition and then runners on and off I went. I thought I was pretty quick but I guess not.
    Time: 2:04 (142/533)

Run: I overtook the wife coming out of T2 and give her a shout of encouragement (As I had bought her a book called "run, fat b!tch, run" the day before I aren't sure how good I am at motivating her :) ). She had a 15 min start on me so I was hopeful I was going quite well. I soon got into my stride and felt comfortable enough all the way round. Highlight of the run was coming under the bridge where two drunks were cheering people on and signing Ave Maria. I was overtaken by 3 people on the run which is an unheard of amount for me, normally much more. Running is my weakest discipline and the one in which any gains in the other two disciplines are usually lost. The run was just over 5.3km and finished in the square outside the left bank pub. It was lined with supporters shouting people home and with the castle as a backdrop was pretty good.
    Time: 24:03 (135/533)

Overall: 1:21:34 (36/533)
    Very happy. Was hoping for top 20% so easily beat that. Being honest though there wasn't the number of fast people that there would be in a NS race or the depth in quality.

I had a few misgivings about the race after arriving. The transition area didn't look the most secure and despite bags not being able to be left in transition there was no baggage drop area. We just took a chance and left at the side. Not ideal with mobiles etc in the bags.
    On the cycle I thought the roads were too busy with traffic, several times it was impossible to overtake for a good while as queues of traffic were going past so it was impossible to pull out and at roundabouts both going out and coming back I was forced to stop and unclip and wait for cars to move off. It was particular frustrating on the way back where the left turn was coned off to keep the traffic moving but there was no marshall directing traffic so cars were stopping anyway.
    On the run I had to ask marshalls directions a couple of times but nothing too bad just a confirmation it was straight on.
    Will I do in again? Possibly.

Sunday 29th July - An Post Heritage Tour of Meath

I signed up for this ages ago, or as soon as entries opened more or less. 160km around Meath and from what I've seen meath is pretty flat other than the hill of tara. I was wrong.

Signed up and got a lovely pink cycle top. Back to the car, bike out, new top on and down to the start line. Everyone doing the 160km set off at the same time. Much prefered this to the Wicklow 200 where it was set off when you feel like it. Was part of the 'peleton' until the hill of tara when my legendary climbing skills came to the fore and I slipped off the back. That set the pattern for the day. Speed along at that back of a group and then drop off the back as soon as an incline came along.
    After 50km or so my legs had gone and I was running on empty. I still had 110km to do. The first food stop came at 80km and I struggled to get any calories in. I had been taking on gels but my stomach was saying no to the sandwiches and salads so it was just a little bit of them and a banana and chocolate.
    Off I went again and felt I was going backwards at some points. It was another 50km to the next stop and the weather was horrible in parts. Raining then sunny. Feet were soaked but my arms were red. The last few kms to the stop dragged. I sat down and felt like crying. another banana and a coffee and just 20kms to go.
    It took a while this time for me to warm-up and then I was counting down the kms.
    Finally hit the finish and then into the food tent. Sandwich, muffin and another coffee. Back tot he car and a handful of midget gems for the sugar rush.

I was dissapointed by the number of people taking on gels and then throwing the wrappers into the verge. Does it matter if the cycle top gets sticky from an empty pack, it's getting washed afterwards anyway!

The tour itself was a really well organised event, fantastic marshalling (I tried to say thanks to everyone as I passed) and good signage. The route was spectacular in places too (hill of tara, newgrange, boyne valley...)

Monday 30th July

Rest day

A week of zero training in the lead up to this race.

Sunday 5th August 2012

Up at 6:00am to have breakfast and set off nice and early. Picked the brother in law up and off we rocked. Just about to turn off the N7 when I got a call off a club mate who I didn't think was racing - I had offered him a lift and then missed his emails asking about the race - Sorry Rayo :o

Into Killaloe and registered quickly enough and then a walk up to the cafe for a breakfast roll - "food of champions". We decided against driving in and cycled the 4km to the start/transition. Places were allocated although they weren't staggered on either side of the racking so the bikes were a bit close together.

Three of us from the club were in wave 3 so we hung around watching the Olympic waves before making our way to the start area and being counted into the water. Warmed up in the water then made my way towards the front. 2-3 times we were asked to move back, which I did, only to see the front line still staying where they were. the 10 second countdown began and the front swimmers all set off early.

I quickly got into a rhtym and had a lot of space either side. I was swimming and sighting well. About half way to the first buoy I looked up to sight and took a mouthful of water. this knocked my confidence pretty badly and upset my breathing. I had to stop and treadwater, gather myself and set off again. Didn't feel comfortable again all swim till towards the end. I managed to pick up feet a couple of times but they were swimming all over the place so decided to stick to my own line. Eventually I came in at the jetty and we were queueing to get out. I thought I heard them say go to the left which I did, only to slide back into the water and back to the back of the queue. then I remembered it was too slippy - they had told us that in the briefing and they were telling us to stay away from the left. Doh!
    Time: 14:30

Eventually out and into T1 stripping off my wetsuit as I went. I had made the decision not to stick my shoes on the bike. I feel the extra 15s or so in transition is saved by not getting grit on my feet and being able to cycle from the start without worrying about strapping myself in.
    Time: 2:53

The cycle was an easy first couple of km then a left and hard up hill for the next few km. I settled in behind a fit looking girl and I didn't think I was doing too badly and was only overtaken by Rayo and someone in his slipstream. At the top of the hill I settled in behind another girl who was taking it easy coming down. We'd been warned about the descent and it would be easy enough to make time up later. Half way down I saw a lad with gravel rash all over his shoulder and arm walking back up the road and another lad down with his head and neck being supported. It didn't look good. Out onto the main road and I was trying to get sight of and catch up with Rayo. I was held up by traffic but I saw him at the turnaround and he had 30s on me. I pushed on at the turnaround and it looked like I lost all contact with him as I couldn't see him on any of the straights. I was using other riders to slingshot myself further up the field and managed to get a draft off a car at one point which allowed me to go past 4-5 like they were stood still. Coming in with less than 1km to go I saw Rayo and put on a spurt to fly past him and into transition.
    Time: ??

Slow transition, struggled get my runners on.
    Time: ??

Eventually out and ouch! 3km straight off climbing and calves at me straight away. At some points I could see people in front walking but I didn't seem to be gaining on them. Had 5-6 people pass me going up. After the climb there was around another 1km or so slightly uphill before a tricky 3km fast descent. I was hammering it down but still had a couple of people go flying past me.
    Time: 42:24

Total time is down as 59:47 as the cycle and T2 were scrapped due to the cycle accident. Those coming out the water in later waves will have had a quicker T1 as they had no helmet to put on or bike to unrack and push and will have been fresher for the run. Not helpful for those who consider the cycle their strength and that helps pull them up in the rankings (i.e. me!) and no doubt my NS points will be down/terrible because of this (I'm reckoning ~87:rolleyes:)No more sprints I can do either before the end of the year.

Not a lot the organisers could do though. They had to make a call and it was the fairest thing to do in the end.

• Advertisement

A little bit more training this week - a club time trial on Wednesday evening. I managed the 20km (19.65km) in 30:06. Was very happy with that but it was pretty much perfect conditions - dry with little wind. Also managed a small swim Friday...

Saturday 11th August 2012 - Caroline Kearney Triathlon

Another early start. Plan was to get up at 5:30am to get all my stuff ready and have breakfast. By the time I'd hit snooze a few times it was 6:45 by the time I was on the road. It was straight forward drive down to the Adventure centre and I got parked up and registered pretty quickly. a few other lads from the club were down so I knew there was going to be a bit of a race between us it was good to have a chat whilst setting up in transition too. Decided to try putting my shoes on the bike for the first time ever so borrowed rubber bands and got everything ready. Briefing took a while but eventually it was time to go.

Swim: The lake was surprisingly warm and I was in and warmed up and raring to go. The hooter went and I was on the left of the field heading to the first buoy. Same as last week I was struggling to find a rhythm early on and the water was choppy. As last time too I managed to get a mouthful of water but this time was able to carry on. Got round the first buoy fine and then was heading towards the second. I was felling confortable enough and overtook a few here but I was struggling to keep a straight line despite sighting regularly. I think I then got target fixation as I managed to swim into the intermediate buoy. At the second buoy I turned for home and from here in I seemed to swim in bursts where I would catch people in fron and then slip backwards as they left me behind. Eventually got to the exit and stood up thinking that I was going to get cramp in the hamstrings. A slow steady run in to transition and it seemed fine.
    Time: 31:45 (126/247)

T1: 3 of the club all entered transition within 2 seconds of each other but I had no idea where Jackyback or Macanri were so tried to be as quick as possible as I knew I needed to be if I was to get out of transition in front of them.
    Time: 58.2 (82/247)

Cycle: I mounted the bike and then there was a short run out to the main road which I used to get my shoes on. At the right turn I glanced back and saw Ray_o just behind. Plan then was to stay out in front of him as long as possible as he had blasted past me on the uphill in the Brian Boru the previous week. I got my head down and started picking off the cyclists in front and gradually working my way up the field. At the first no overtaking zone I held off taking a cyclist in a Kilkenny Tri Club top and for the next 30km we were trading places. Had a chat with him afterwards and we both agreed it helped to push us along. Course was rolling so he passed and left me on the uphills and I caught and passed on the downhills. Had a look round a couple of times but no sight of any team mates.
    Time: 1:10:22 (45/247)

T2: Shoes left on the bike and I ran into T2 undoing my helmet. got stopped bya marshall and made to refasten before continuing. Schoolboy error. Runners on and the marshall was telling me I was up near the top 25% or so. I told him that wouldn't last for long.
    Time: 51.9 (118/247)

Run: As soon as I started the run my calves were at me. They were still in bits from last week and hadn't eased. I tried to keep the turnover as fast as possible but it was like running in treacle. Around the first turn around point one of the lads from swimming over took me and I shouted a few encouraging words. I then saw Ray_o behind me as I was running back towards the off road section and Macanri not too far behind him. At this stage I was being overtaken pretty regularly and couldn't do anything to stay with any of them. All I could do was run my own race at what felt like a snails pace. Ray_o came past me on the off road bit and I shouted to him to keep it going and hold Macanri off. Coming towards the end of the off road section I had to stop as I swallowed a fly and I then started dry heaving. Carried on running but it was a hard slog as Macanri over took me as did everyone else it seemed.

Run: 51:42 (209/247)

Overall Time: 2:35:41 (106/247)
    Was a little unhappy on Saturday with the time but after a bit of reflection I'm pretty happy. The unhappiness stemmed from the run time as I know I should be a good bit faster than that but then I checked my targets for the year and for an Olympic it was to beat 2:40. So that was accomplished and my run was only 5 mins slower than my stand alone 10k PB so hardly a disaster.

Really enjoyed the race and will definitely try and do it again next year.

Another poor lead-up to the race in regards to training. I also went out on Friday night and got absolutely hammered. plan was for a quiet 1 or two which ended up being 9 or 10 with whisky and vodka and much sickness.

Sunday 26th August 2012

Registered on Saturday afternoon so didn't think I would need to get down too early on the Sunday. Drove down at 7:45 to find all car parking spaces gone and the road full so ended up being directed to park up at the papal cross. Down to transition, bike and helmet checke. Racks were great this year, plenty of room and clubs grouped together too. Had even more room as two of the club members who should have been racked next to me were missing through injury. All set up made my way to the briefing and then we were set to go

Swim: I was in wave 3. People were messing around on the pontoon dipping their toes in and not looking like they were getting in so I jumped in. Went right under and got a mouthful of water. made my way to the start line and was in the second row ready to go. Gavin Noble had finished his swim before we set off so sub 20 mins for him! The hooter went and we were off. It was carnage. The first 600 hundred metres were spent bumping into people and having people swimming into or trying to swim over me. A couple of times I was brought to a complete stop as someone tried mounting me. Once we had got around the turn it eased a bit but it was still pretty manic and probably the worst swim I've ever done in terms of getting into a groove and feeling happy with my stroke. Didn't feel comfortable at all.

Time: 31:19 (185/381) - (2011 - 36:08)

T1: Couldn't get my wetsuit undone so had to stop and walk. The problem was the velcro at the top but eventually sorted and ran in to T1 to see one of the teammates I'm usually racing against heading off on the bike.

Time 2:44 (166/381) - (2011 - 4:02)

Bike: Quick enough mount and I was off. Velcro strap came out of the fastener which cost me a little time but nothing too bad. Into the park and straight onto the Khyber. Hard work when you aren't warmed-up. First lap was all about chasing down the teammate. At the turn around point he had around 30s on me and it took me another lap to chase this down. Took him just before the furry glen on lap two and then tried to hold him off for the next 3 laps. At the dismount my shoe came off the pedal so I had to stop and go back so lost more time there too.

Time: 1:13:17 (91/381) - (2011 - 1:20:33)

T2: Straight forward bike racked, hemet off, struggled getting shoes on.

Time: 2:05 (197/381) - (2011 - 2:33)

Run: My usual crap run. Took a while getting into a stride but eventually settled into a slow steady plod. Demoralising gettnig overtaken so many times but untill I improve the run that's what is going to happen! I could see the teamate gaining on me each lap so just tried to increase my speed a little so he would have to work harder.

Time: 54:37 (282/381) - (2011 - 1:02:38)

Overall: 2:44:00 (172/381) - (2011 - 3:05:52)

I guess I should be happy that I took nearly 22 mins of my last years time and I am. It could have been better though if I hadn't been drinking on Friday - schoolboy error. I've got a lot of work to do though over the winter especially if I'm going to get close to the targets I set myself for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Time off every area of your race, nothing to complain about there !!

Mizen Head to Malin Head - Day 0

Today was just about getting to the start line. Up at 8 for breakfast and getting final few things packed.

O9wCRRJ03r

Set off only to realise a couple of km's down the road that I had forgotten to print out train and coach details which were needed otherwise I'd be paying again. Eventually everything packed and i was off down through the Phoenix Park to Heuston for just after 11am so time for a coffee and Rocky Road (a sign of things to come?) before I got on the train.

O9wIB8p030

Train journey uneventful to Cork.

O9wRoGp034

Huge queue for the coach to Goleen and was worried I wouldn't get on. Asked the driver where to put my bike - "in the back on top of the rest of the luggage". Cheers... Managed to lift it over onto the other side resting in a surf board and hoped it would be fine.

Long old journey on a packed coach which emptied to just 3 of us getting off at Goleen.

Just 7-8 kms to Barleycove and 1st nights stay.

O9wVrLp04A

Just polished off fish, chips and mushy peas and a couple of pints (energy food!) Going to be a later start than planned as breakfast not till 9am, but should get down to Mizen and back before breakfast.

Mizen Head to Malin Head - Day 1
    Mizen Head to Listowel

Up and ready for 0830 to head Mizen and the start. I'd left the bike out back but the manager had moved it in to reception for me. Pushed it out to start and something didn't sound right. Rode it a little and seemed ok but there was a rattle from the back wheel. A quick look revealed my worst fears - a broken spoke. Snapped at the nipple with the nipple rolling inside the rim. Decided to see how I went from the hotel to Mizen and back before I made a decision.

Uphill nearly all the way to Mizen but the wheel was grand. Wrapped the spoke around the adjoining one and did a quick google to see there was a bike shop 40km away in Bantry. Had breakfast then I was off. First thing I noticed was how much harder climbing is with an extra 20kg+.

The 40km to Bantry passed pretty uneventfully and after a tour round the city centre got direction to the bike shop. He didn't seem happy to be disturbed but I left him to fix it whilst I went to feed. Got back and he had put a new spoke in, done the brakes and the gear indexing, all for €8. Bargain!

From Bantry it was on to Glengarriff and a long pull up the Caha pass. Wasn't that tough except for the extra weight of panniers. Finally to the top and through a cool tunnel hewn into the rock and into Kerry. A nice mainly downhill run into Kenmare and a coffee stop.

Another long drag from here up to the Killsrney national park / Avoca Weavers and then a handy run into Killarney. Another quick stop for a petrol station latte then the final push to Listowel. The last 55km were rolling and a real slog. Eventually got to the hostel and now out in Listowel refueling.

Tomorrow a push to Galway. Might even catch some of Sunday mornings ironman.

Mizen to Malin Day 2 - Listowel to Galway

Up and off around 8:40, so just over the hour to do the 30km to get to the ferry at Tarbert at. 10:00. Stopped for some breakfast and still managed it with 10 mins to spare only to realise ferry left at 10:30. Ah well, sat on a bench out of the wind catching some sun.

Eventually got the boat and talked to a couple of Germans who were cycling round Ireland. They were doing Tarbert to Cliffs of Moher today. Got talking to some more Germans later and they were shocked I was doing 700km in four days as they were doing the same in14 days.

Kilrush to Milltown Malbay passed without incident and then the rain started. It wasn't too bad to Ballyvaghan and I stopped for late lunch. I'd had a coffee about an hour earlier and was feeling the effects of the caffeine. The heavens had opened whilst I was eating and the rest of the trip was in the lashing rain. My shoe covers could only do so much as could my jacket and eventually they waved the white flag. On the us side the Merino gear has been brilliant. Yes it got wet, but it still kept me warm. Activ Multisport gear tomorrow!

Eventually made my way into Galway and found the hostel. Nice and clean, friendly staff but cold shower and nowhere to dry my gear - no coat hangers either. Warmed up with a big bowl of mushroom risotto and now enjoying €3 pints.

Plan to hit Rossnowlough, Co. Donegal tomorrow - 190km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Nothing beats earned pints, enjoy them!

Is this a solo bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Great going, i look forward to a detailed report:p

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Nothing beats earned pints, enjoy them!

Is this a solo bike?

Just €3 a go, they were lovely. Felt drunk after 2 though.

Yep, just me on my own.

• Advertisement

Mizen to Malin Day 3 - Galway to Rossnowlagh

I was in a shared dorm last night and one lad snored all night. Proper loud snoring no matter which way he was laid. Hardly any sleep for me.

Up and away for 08:30 for what was planned as the longest day of the four. Plan was to hit Tuam for the first stop of the day,via ClareGalway. Had a great breakfast roll in Tuam and then carried on towards Dunmore, Cloonfad and Ballyhaunis.

My mental state wasn't great at this stage. I could hear a clicking from the cranks and my knee was giving an odd pain so I was looking for excuses to stop and even tried thinking about how I could get back to Dublin. I just broke the rest of the day into small chunks and concentrated on completing each one. Sligo was probably the biggest milestone.

Once I reached Sligo it was just under 60km to go. I was also back on the coast and nice scenery again (no offence to North Galway, West Mayo and South Sligo). Nice cycle to Bundoran and then onto Rossnowlagh with hundreds of surfers in the sea.

Nice room with sea view and no sharing! Interesting sprint across the bay at high(ish) tide to get to the pub for food.

Final day Monday - just 135km to go

Advertisement