Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri-ing my best...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

On point 2 - I replied "About €1,000 new" to which she was shocked that anyone would pay that much for just a frame and you didn't get even get wheels.

You could try the safety aspect, this frame is newer therefore safer than the bike Im on, or if I drank or smoked I would go through 1K in a few months so this is cheaper and better for the family expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭griffin100

Ah I know, in a "all the gear no idea" kind of way as well!

I remember once almost getting overtaken by a bloke on a mountain bike when I was on a TT bike going up a hill in the Valentia Tri..... embarrassing.
    You could try the safety aspect, this frame is newer therefore safer than the bike Im on, or if I drank or smoked I would go through 1K in a few months so this is cheaper and better for the family expenses.

I normally go with the 'well if I played golf it'd be worse' line when it comes to leaving the house for training or spending money on kit. I must be doing something right, she got me a 310xt last year for fathers day :D I have suggested that a new carbon road bike is a suitable present for my 40th early next year so we'll see how she responds to that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

[On point 2 - ....Lies may make the baby Jesus cry but they stop me getting grief :)[/QUOTE]

............I just love it!! and by the way just make sure that if you ever should change your bike, that the new one is the same colour - that always works for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

catweazle wrote: »
    They are right - the neighbour sends me over a few Cycling Weekly magazines and Mrs C casually picks them up for a read (left in toilet). She comes down after perhaps seeing a set of Zipps and asks how anyone can pay 2k+ for a set of wheels, thank god she hasn't come across any Sram wheel ads yet ;) I wouldnt fancy going after a new bike now, I would say the magazines would be consulted as soon as I mentioned the type of bike I was looking at.

Yet the woman would have no trouble dropping massive money on a bag or shoes herself

Although I am not to badly set now

- I would like a Garmin Edge but I have a 310xt on my wrist
    - I am not hugely pushed towards a Powermeter yet (will wait till my cycling improves)
    - I am happy with my wetsuit - although with weightloss since purchasing I am imagining folds of loose neoprone which aren't really there
    - Bike and wheels wont need to be upgraded

Potential Financial Pitfalls
    - Aero Helmet - A little tight and doesn't match the bike :o
    - Sunglasses - Do i really need them
    - Winter Bike clothes on sale - prep for next winter perhaps (even though I will spend the winter on the turbo like every other year)
    - Cycle shorts - An upgrade from my Aldi ones might give my ass a break
    - The 910 - would love the swim stats
    - Runners - With only 4 pairs in rotation am I due another pair :rolleyes:

The worst bit is she'll ask someone in the triathlon club how much it was or the brother in law will mention it or knowing my luck this months issue of Heat will contain an editorial on Jenson Button love of Triathlon and his new Storck bike. I'm bound to be found out on how much the thing will cost.

She does seem happy enough to let me buy kit though as she buys enough herself too. I think she's worked out that the timex global trainer isn't just a digital watch but it could have been the heart rate monitor strap that gave that one away :o.

I've also just sold my guitar and emptied my change tin at work (nearly €200!) so she know's I've the money to spend on building the bike (although that's gone on the credit card). The €120 Adamo saddle I just bought will be passed off as a half price special. Good point on the aero helmet though. Hmmm which one to go for... also booked myself in for a fitting and had a hypothetical conversation with a bike shop regarding carbon wheels and the bike to work scheme...

It all makes me look pretty devious but I'm pretty sure she does the same with bags and shoes. I often say to her "Are they new shoes?" and she'll say something like "They are the ones I wore on our wedding day, don't you remember?" Hmm trying to trick me like that...;)
    BennyMul wrote: »

I tried that a few months ago with the "I hardly go out these days think of all the money I'm saving my not drinking" to which she replied. "Those triathlons aren't cheap to enter you know!" She's a sharp woman.
    griffin100 wrote: »
    I remember once almost getting overtaken by a bloke on a mountain bike when I was on a TT bike going up a hill in the Valentia Tri..... embarrassing.

I normally go with the 'well if I played golf it'd be worse' line when it comes to leaving the house for training or spending money on kit. I must be doing something right, she got me a 310xt last year for fathers day :D I have suggested that a new carbon road bike is a suitable present for my 40th early next year so we'll see how she responds to that :pac:

I used to play golf and it was amazing how much second hand cheap equipment got delivered to work ;)
    handangeo wrote: »
    [On point 2 - ....Lies may make the baby Jesus cry but they stop me getting grief :)

............I just love it!! and by the way just make sure that if you ever should change your bike, that the new one is the same colour - that always works for me :D[/QUOTE]

That worked well in the golf as she wouldn't know if I had a new club or is was the same one with her having no interest. Her mums a keen golfer though and let the wife know that my putter was a new Scotty Cameron and not a cheap chinese brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Has losing the weight played havoc with your wetsuit, i'm still dropping the flab and am putting off getting a suit until as close as possible to my 1st OW race.

Should i just bite the bullet and get one, i think by the end of the season i'll have taken another 6 to 8 cm off the belly :confused:

• Advertisement

Hi Elvis

To be honest the wetsuit feels the same as it did 3 stone ago!

It is easier to get on and off but I've not noticed it being loose. If you don't need to buy one yet I would hold off, get into one that is tight as is comfortable and then it should last as you carry on losing weight.

Hi Elvis

To be honest the wetsuit feels the same as it did 3 stone ago!

It is easier to get on and off but I've not noticed it being loose. If you don't need to buy one yet I would hold off, get into one that is tight as is comfortable and then it should last as you carry on losing weight.

Ah i can only hold off for 2 weeks and i can't see me dropping a size that quick ! But its good to know it didn't make a major difference.

Oh and what wheels are you putting on the TT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭griffin100

Has losing the weight played havoc with your wetsuit, i'm still dropping the flab and am putting off getting a suit until as close as possible to my 1st OW race.

Should i just bite the bullet and get one, i think by the end of the season i'll have taken another 6 to 8 cm off the belly :confused:

I used the same wetsuit when I started tri and up until I had lost over 3 stone with no noticeable change in fit. I only changed it last year as I good a good deal on a Orca Alpha.

Friday 8th June 2012

Ended up busy in work and then going to relatives in the evening so had another day off.

Saturday 9th June 2012

Club run - Around 9km at a conversational pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well wear with the new bike, frame looks cool.
    I might be off loading some shimano dura ace pedals and a shimano ultegra 53/39 crankset (like new) if interested.

• Advertisement

Sunday 10th June 2012 - Wicklow 200

I signed up to do this a good while ago and through out the early months of this year had been out gett in g several 100km+ cycles in to get the distnce in the legs. However things had tapered down a bit over the last couple of months and I think the furthest I managed in training had been around 130km.

The alarm went off at 5:30 and I turned it off a few times before finally getting up at 6:00. Had my cereal and then put the bike in the car while the kettle boiled and then had tea and toast befor leving the house just after 6:30. Got into Greystones after 7:00 and parked up in the Dart station. By the time I my card scanned and was ready to go it was probably about 7:30. There was loads of people around and it was one big group of cyclist heading up from the town to the N11 and down to the Roundwood turn off. From there a slight climb and I was enjoying it.
    Soon enough we were at the point where the 200 route splits from the 100 and a nice descent. There seemed to be very few people turning off and most looked like they were doing the 100. As the descent took a right I saw a cyclist in front of me grab a hadful of brake and come flying off his bike. I stopped to help pick up his bottles and check he was alright. He'd noticed that we were meant to be turning left and that's why he had braked. A few cyclist had gone past us the wrong way while he was getting himself sorted so I hope they got back on the right route. Back going we continued the descent to get to the bottom of the first real climb of the day up to the top of the Sally Gap. It was long but to be honest it could have been worse. Perhaps it was because I still had fresh legs but I managed to keep a constant pace all the way up.

The worst part was the midges. I got a couple of bites between my sleeve and golves and on my ankle but at the rest stops people had hundreds of knee to ankle bites and I saw a lot of people itching and scratching their legs on the bike.

From the top of the Sally Gap it was a nice fast descent down. After the Sally Gap I got talking to an english bloke from Sligo and kept pace with him for a while. In the end though I was slowing him down on the inclines so I told him to go on. It was a pretty undulating road down the side of Blessington Lake and with one more decent climb to the first rest stop in Baltinglass.Queue was large enough but we moved quick enough to get a sandwich, nutrigrain and a cup of tea to help boost the energy levels back up. At this stage I was feeling good and not too tired. But it took a while to wake the legs back up after stopping and after I stopped to pick up a bottle I had lost a group came past travelling at a fair enough pace. I sped up to jump on the back of them and they pulled me along then to Sleive Maan. This hill killed me! A couple of times I had to stop and push. I decded that it was better to walk if I needed than to try and pedal and burn myself out. Eventually I got to the top and grabbed a refill of energy drink. A nice long dowhill then to the bottom of the Shay Elliot. After free wheeling that long my legs had gone to sleep again so I was off the bike again and pushing. Jumped back on after a short while and got to the top and had a well deserved cappucino. I was around 130km in at this point and starting to fade.Just 10km or so to the next stop though and I got on the back of another group and they pulled me along for a while till I got enough energy to push on ahead. Another well deserved sandwich, nutrigain (or two) and a couple of cups of tea and I was back out for the last 60km.

I had been told that the hill out of Avoca was short enough. It wasn't and it seemed to go on for ever. There was another couple of short nasty climbs on the run home but all in all it wasn't too bad. I got back to the start/finish at around 17:00. 9.5 hours after I'd left. A long day in the saddle.

All in all I enjoyed the day. Great sense of achievement in not only doing 200km but in doing it over those hills.Next year I will change my gearing though. I had read people recommending that a 12-25 rear be changed to a 12-27. Only realised after the event that I'm running a 12-23 on the back. No wonder I struggled to keep it turning sometimes! The marshalling was excellent too with all real turns having someone there giving directions.

Will I be back again next year? Yes.

Well wear with the new bike, frame looks cool.
    I might be off loading some shimano dura ace pedals and a shimano ultegra 53/39 crankset (like new) if interested.

Cheers. thanks for the offer but I've ordered two cranksets already, one with the groupset and another that I thought was a bargain (don't ask!) I still use mtb spd's so I don't have to switch pedals - I'm not sure I could do justice to dura ace pedals either :o

Monday 11th June 2012

Nothing. Nada. Nowt. Legs were still dead from the Wicklow cycle so decided not to do anything but rest.

Tuesday 12th June 2012

Lunchtime: Run to ease the legs a bit. Plan was for 6.5km but I decided to see how I was feeling with 5km. Felt alright so ended up adding in another 5 mins to make 40 mins / 7.5km.

Evening: Swim. Did the swim session I set the group the night before. 400m WU,8 x 25m all out sprint w 30s rest. 100m pull, 200m fins, 300m pull, 400m fins, 300m pull, 200m fins, 100m pull. 200m CD.

Weight seems to have hit a plateau over the last few weeks. I'll check my diet again and cut out the crap that's creeped back in. I think my running volume has also dropped with races and other events too.

Bike parts have started arriving :D It's like a new present every day in work at the moment.

I haven't updated for nearly a week and am well behind on my updates for the S/B/R challenge so time to update a few things...

Wednesday 13th June 2012

8km run at 5:15 pace.

Thursday 14th June 2012

6.5km run at 5:15km pace

Friday 15th June 2012

Rest Day

Saturday 16th June 2012

12km l/s/r in around 1 hr 10 mins.

Sunday 17th June 2012

Hungover so nothing. This triathlon trainnig lark has reduced my legendry drinking capacity to that of a 13 year girl.

Monday 18th June 2012

Speed session.
    2km wu @ 5:27 min per km pace
    1km wu @ 4:15 min per km pace
    1km wu @ 5:27 min per km pace
    The fast bits felt ok. Maybe not quite comfortable or easy but acceptably tough.

Tuesday 19th JuneLunch: 35 min run @ 5:12 pace. Over the last couple of weeks I've increased the pace a slight bit and it felt comfortable enough today. Still able to string a sentence together to take the pi$$ out of the lads doing weights and checking themselves out in the mirrors.Also added in some excercises I've been missing out on really.Yesterday was Press-ups (10,12,8,8,10), Pull-ups (8), Dips(8) and Chins(8).Today was 2 x ( Plank (35s), Swiss ball crunch (35), Boxer crunch (25), Bridge (25) ). I'm doing these before any running.Evening was meant to be swimming but as I got home I had a message to visit tennants who have just handed their notice in. So instead I ate loads of biscuits, drank gallons of tea and watched England get some much deserved luck.

Wednesday 20th June 2012

Run. 9km in 47mins at 4:12min per km pace. 1.0 incline.

Thursday 21st June 2012

It was pi$$ing down this morning. The third Thursday in a row. I really couldn't be be bothered putting on my leathers and then waterproofs over them so I went back to bed and knocked swimming on the head.

Run: 10km in 52 mins at 4:12 min per km pace. 1.0 incline. Last few kms were tough. Boredem and increase in run volume to 4 runs in four days taking their toll.

Wednesday 20th June 2012

Run. 9km in 47mins at 4:12min per km pace. 1.0 incline.

Thursday 21st June 2012

It was pi$$ing down this morning. The third Thursday in a row. I really couldn't be be bothered putting on my leathers and then waterproofs over them so I went back to bed and knocked swimming on the head.

Run: 10km in 52 mins at 4:12 min per km pace. 1.0 incline. Last few kms were tough. Boredem and increase in run volume to 4 runs in four days taking their toll.

Are you still on the treadmill ?

Are you still on the treadmill ?

Of course. If its raining or threatening to rain I'm inside. Which is quite often.

It's mental training. If I can cope with the boredem of the treadmill then I can cope with anything!

Of course. If its raining or threatening to rain I'm inside. Which is quite often.

It's mental training. If I can cope with the boredem of the treadmill then I can cope with anything!

I can't do it. Its outside in any weather or nothing for me...........

Friday 22nd June 2012

Press-ups, pull-ups, dips, chins and ab work in the gym followed by 5km run at

km1 5:12 min km pace
    km2 5:07 min km pace
    km3 5:00 min km pace
    km4 5:07 min km pace
    km5 5:12 min km pace

Felt good.

Saturday 23rd June 2012

L/S/R Did 9.5km route by myself then met up with the club and did the same route in the opposite direction. Total 19km.
    Then showered a few coffees and off to West Meath and Lough Lene for a club open water swim practice. Was cold but soon warmed up and around 1km swam. Good to see those who had never swam open water before getting the confidence before TriAthlone. Lough Lene is brilliant for beginners. Changing rooms and a buoyed off area where it's possible to stand up in just about all of it.

Sunday 24th June 2012

Club Cycle. 45km round Ratoath and Ashbourne then back. Easy enough pace ~26-27kmh and was pretty windy out there. I was struggling at times as I had changed cassette ready for bike fit on other bike and it was slipping on all but the two top and bottom gears.

Bike fit. Managed to finsh the bike build last night and was booked in for a fit today with Dom at B2R. Was really impressed with him and it wasn't about putting me in a perfect position regardless of how it felt it was a compromise between position and comfort.

Fit started with a chat and collection of basic information. I alway feel a bit wierd when people are asking me how much training I do and then tell them. I'm pretty sure they think "How come you're still so fat then?" :o

Anyways, details done it was time to get my shoes on. I don't think that my 10yr old mtb shoes impressed him. Even less so when he realised they were my only shoes and I didn't have proper shoes even for racing in. Told cleats are quite far back but he said not to worry about changing them as it wasn't worth risking injury if I was so used to them.

Saddle position was looked at first and the seat post was adjusted out, and out, and out, and out.... It's not quite at it's max but not far off. I think the saddle to pedal measurement was 87cm! This gave me a good knee angle and was still low enough to prevent my hips from rocking. I'e put an Adamo Race on the bike and from the little bit I did on the turbo I think we're going to get on well.

Next was the cockpit. I'd already 50mm of spacers and I think another 50mm was added. Elbow pads were moved in and angled slightly to open my chest and the bars were brought back to get a good elbow angle. I felt pretty comfortable but we decided to flip the stem to raise the front a little as it was felt I was trying to be a little too agressive without ever riding a TT bike before.

Knee to foot position were also checked using a plumline as was pedal strok and movement of knee using a laser beam. I am going slightly off line (over pronating almost) and was advised of strengthen excercises I could do to help with this.

So despite my early reservations the bike fits me well and there's plenty of room for future changes as I increase my core strength in the TT position. Smaller stem, lower position etc are all possibilites.

Overall I was there for 90+ mins doing the fitting. I was impressed with Dom who came across as being very knowledgeable and a real enthusiast about what he does.

Next step is to get wheels and after talking to Paul in B2R I think I'm going with FFWD F6R-C's (for the heavier rider) although there was a set of Zipp 404's too he suggested...decisions, decisions...

Then to actually start riding it. I've left the bike there to get the cabling sorted as I wasn't quite happy with it and I needed the bars taping too. Once the wheels are in I'll start to use it for training and then hope to use it in a race by the end of the season if I'm feeling faster on that than the road bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

We need to see pictures!

joey100 wrote: »
    We need to see pictures!

Of semi naked females !

( or the bike )

Only got one from just after I finished building it and it's not great.
    Bars are now more parrallel to the floor and the seat is much, much higher. There'll also be different wheels on it hopefullythe next time I picture it.

bikeprefit.jpg

*and less cable near the rear derailleur! and a level saddle :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Only got one from just after I finished building it and it's not great.
    Bars are now more parrallel to the floor and the seat is much, much higher. There'll also be different wheels on it hopefullythe next time I picture it.

bikeprefit.jpg

*and less cable near the rear derailleur! and a level saddle :-)

Fabulous looking bike!

Monday 25th June 2012

Lunchtime: Gym. Press-ups 14,14,10,10,10
    2 x (Pull-ups x 8, dips x 8, chins x8) - assisted 33kg
    Run; treadmill hill workout. speed 11.6, incline 1.0
    1 km warm-up
    5 x (400m incline 4.0, 400m incline 1.0)
    Total 5km and felt strong. The 1.0 incline bits felt like I was running downhill with the wind behind!

BHAA 5km tomorrow. Depending on the route I think a PB could be mine for the taking.

Tuesday 26th June 2012 - BHAA IPS Race Report

In each of my previous BHAA races I've managed to drop a standard, going from 21 down to 16 this year so far and as training has being going well I was expecting to drop another standard and hopefully record my first sub 22 min 5k.

I got to sign on pretty early as I got dropped of at 6:30 at the papal cross and walked down. Plenty of time to drink and make sure I was well hydrated. Very little queing at the desk so I was signed on and ready to go for 7:00pm an hour before kick off. One of the two lads from the company came along not too long after and whilst he headed off for a run I chatted to my brother in law and the other team mate. I had every intention of doing a warmup but as usual didn't bother.

Just before 8:00pm everyone started to move to the start line so I followed over and ended up a few rows back from the front. We were off and it was a mad dash for the first corner trying not to tread on people or fall over on the uneven ground. I got into a rhythm but set off alittle too fast and could feel my hear pounding before we were parralel with Chesterfield Ave. The trail up there was muddy with a lot of roots making it difficult to get a constant stride pattern and I nearly got taken out by low branches a few times. Turning off Chesterfield and it was a narrow path back to the playing fields and then it opened up to a wide enough path. I was passed here by one of the team mates who is much faster than me so I definitely had gone out too quick. I tried to keep with him up to the nasty dip. I ran down and tried to power back up and could feel the heart rate rising as I crested the top and here I noticed he'd got 20s on me already.

By this stage I was feeling spent. I was trying to keep the speed going and maintain distance with those in front but I still had people coming past me. As I hit the fields for the second and last time I could hear the announcer saying 21 mins and I knew I had no chance of hitting <22 mins. I eased off a little and took it a bit easier to the finish.
    Overall time 23:47. Dissapointed but there were several people I'm usually finishing after(and a good few with much higher standards than me) behind me so I think it was just a tough track.

7455850150_41570e8f3c.jpg
    _MG_8563 by bhaa, on Flickr

The heat was epic last night so i wouldn't be too let down over it. You were hydrated well which did help.

I don't see any watch on your arm to guage pace ? I find thats great to stop me going off too fast, the pace is set.

The heat was epic last night so i wouldn't be too let down over it. You were hydrated well which did help.

I don't see any watch on your arm to guage pace ? I find thats great to stop me going off too fast, the pace is set.

Just running to feel these days. I was going to get my gps to pace me but forgot it.

Wednesday 27th June 2012

On a course Wed-Fri this week so not able to use the treadmill on an evening. So 11.75km run at easy pace. No watch so not sure on pace but I think it was just over 5:00min km.

Thursday 28th June 2012

Another 11.75km run at an easy pace. Around about same pace as previous night.

Day off tomorrow and Athlone Sprint on Saturday. Bring it on!

Saturday 30th June

Triathlone Sprint. Left home in Dublin around 10:30 and got into Athlone just after 12. Small queue starting to form to get into the barracks but nothing too bad and got the biked racked pretty quick and registered early enough. Had a walk round and chatted to a few people then pre race nutrition of a sandwich and a cup of tea. The queue to register around 1:00pm was enormous.

Swim: A lot of time on my feet waiting around before finally wave 11 was called to the pen. I was at the back of the pen and soon enough we were walking up to the start. I walked straight up to the start (no waiting around or pee stops) and was just jumping off the pontoon when the hooter went - around 2-3 mins early. I realise that the people at the front were having trouble holding position but the way the start was done wasn't fair. I reckon I lost over a minute in the swim.
    Swim Time 10:19

T1: 04:07. It's a long way up to the transition area from the river but I was happy enough with the time. Still know I should be quicker but its getting there!

Bike: 36:42. Flat enough course but into a wind for the first half. Played tag for the first 5-6km with another cyclist as we were passing a good few. Eventually put it a hard effort to leave him behind. A lot of drafting going on but none more obvious than a group I got behind for a few km to the turn around. It looked 3 abreast and 4-5 deep from my position 10m behind. At the turn around they broke up slightly and I left them and with the wind behind I flew back to T2. Ran into transition with another couple of lads from my age group. Happy enough with the time but felt a little longer than 20km(?).

T2: 1:48. Straight in and out and on the shoulders of the two lads I had come in with off the cycle so happy not to be losing ground even though they had their shoes off and left on their bikes.

Run: 14:41. Quick enough into my stride and I was feeling comfortable. Got held up quite a bit on the narrow run course especially over the bridge. Past the finishing line and down to the river back into the barracks for the second time and then up the hill and over the finish line. Realised almost immeadiately it was short and I had missed a lap. I don't think I was the only one though as at least one person I had followed did the same plus four from the club.

So a DSQ for running too few laps. Pi$$ed off about it but my own fault. I now need to do another sprint this year so I can set myself a National Series points total to beat next season. Just entered Brian Boru and I might do Cloggerhead as a backup at the end of the season too (same day as 1/2 marathon though).

Not sure I would do Athlone again. Firstly the waiting around on your feet is a pain, the swim start especially was farcical and the narrow run was off putting. It's not a course for a PB either imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I loved Brian Boru the year I did it, swim is lovely but the run is a real killer for the first 3 or 4k, very steep hill!

Advertisement