Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri-ing my best...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm tempted but i'd have to do a lot of work to get up to those levels.

Bet you could do it over 5 days. See any multi day charity cycle and you'll have people who never do any exercise who are more than capable of completing 150k or so each day. Bet you could do malin2mizen no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I'm tempted but i'd have to do a lot of work to get up to those levels.

As RQ has said, you would be fine It's not 150km at pace it's a leisure cycle with several breaks for tea and cake and lunch.:D

4th April 2012

Lunch: 45 min easy run. 5:50 pace. 8.18km inc cool down

Eve: Swim.
    WU: 300fc, 200 pull, 100 fc
    12x25 w/10s rest
    4 x (200m Pull, 2 x 75m FC 15s rest)
    CD 100m BrS
    Total:2400m

5th April 2012

Easy day today with just a lunchtime session as I have four biggish days planned over Easter.

Lunch 35min easy run 6.13km
    Squats 5x5 62.5kg
    BenchPress 5x5 62.5 kg

Struggled on the bench today. Was originally loaded 20kg heavier but had no one to spot me and so decided to go low (weight wise) and slow rep wise). Pulled my shoulder again walking from the treadmill and tripping on a loose wire. I really am clumsy. Luckily it's not hurting now and was probably no more than a slight tweak.

Better week so far. Lets hope I can keep it going without injury.

6th April 2012

Woke up to go swimming but in the end just couldn't be bothered. The day pretty much carried on like that with me knowing I was meant to be going cycling but not really wanting to. Didn't help watching Leeds lose to Reading. At 4 o'clock I finally got my arse into gear and did a quick 67.5km out to Balbriggan and back via the Naul.

7th April 2012

LSR. It was meant to be a club run but being a bank holiday I was expecting anyone else to turn up. I still went though despite thinking it might be worth cancelling. I wasn't disappointed it was just me.
    I had a rough route in my head and set off from the NAC at a steady pace. 13.1 miles covered at 9:58 min mile pace. Longest run this year (and probably in about 12!) and very happy to finish it and not walk.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good work getting those sessions done when your heart wasn't in it. I hear ya on the not being bothered to get up thing. :)

8th April 2012

Club cycle - 68km. Only a few people around for this weekends cycle and it was the same Naul route I had done on Friday except we stopped for tea and a scone in Naul. Fairly easy bike ride with my Avg heart rate coming in at <100bpm. All my peak heart rate data is from the first 7-8 mins cycle when I was going to the meet-up point.
    I enjoyed the cycle though and it was good to get out and see the wildlife. Saw the Easter bunny watching me at the side of the road on the way out, an Owl further on, loads of lambs and pheasants too. Nice scone in the cafe and then headed back into the windd. It seemed much flatter this time than Friday.

Highlight for my wife was when we got stopped cycling through Oldtown as they were having an Old IRA Easter Rising commeration in the middle of the road with a bugler playing the last post, a reading of the proclamation and Amhrán na bhFiann sung. She thought it was funny to tell me to keep quiet or I would be lynched :(

Monday 9th April 2012

Lunch: I was in work so used the gym as usual. 35 min run (+5 min CD) at an easy pace. 6.5km.

Eve: Club Swim.
    WU. 2 x (50m FC, 50m BS, 50m FC, 50m BS Legs only)
    200m FC as (50m swim, 50m breathe every 3 strokes, 50m swim, 50m breathe every 5 strokes)
    2 x (200m Pull decreasing strokes every 50m) coming in on 44, 42, 40, 32 & 42, 40, 38, 31.
    2 x (200m FC, decreasing times every 50m) coming in on 60,55,51,45 & 62,58,50,46
    400m kick

Total:1800m
    I go through phases with swimming where one week I think things are progressing well and the next week I feel frustrated and that I'm progressing backwards. Today was a good day.

Tuesday 10th April 2012

Lunch: Run. As usual all my weekday running is on the treadmill. Last couple of weeks I've upped the incline to 1.0 to make it more difficult. 35 minutes @ 5:39min/km pace + 5 min CD. 6.68km

Evening: Turbo: 15mins warm-up 5 x (4 mins hard, 2 mins easy spin), 5 mins CD. Legs didn't want to know tonight. Found it tough going tonight.

For some reason I'm not wearing my HR monitor as much as I should so I can gauge how hard I'm working from session to session (although I realsie I can use RPE for this). I don't mind for the odd run but I really need to make more use of the HR monitor. It also links straight in to training peaks so makes it easier to log sessions. Which also reminds me... I need to make more use of training peaks instead of just diary/boards logs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

6th April 2012

Woke up to go swimming but in the end just couldn't be bothered. The day pretty much carried on like that with me knowing I was meant to be going cycling but not really wanting to. Didn't help watching Leeds lose to Reading. At 4 o'clock I finally got my arse into gear and did a quick 67.5km out to Balbriggan and back via the Naul.

7th April 2012

LSR. It was meant to be a club run but being a bank holiday I was expecting anyone else to turn up. I still went though despite thinking it might be worth cancelling. I wasn't disappointed it was just me.
    I had a rough route in my head and set off from the NAC at a steady pace. 13.1 miles covered at 9:58 min mile pace. Longest run this year (and probably in about 12!) and very happy to finish it and not walk.

Great time,

How was the body after it ?

• Advertisement

Great time,

How was the body after it ?

Surprisingly it wasn't too bad at all. I was struggling a little going up and down stairs afterwards but the next day there wasn't a bother on me and on the monday on the easy run I didn't feel like I'd done much running.

Still deciding about whether or not to do a marathon this year. A few more long runs should help me decide. At the moment my heart says yes, but the brain says "why bother yourself?" :)

Surprisingly it wasn't too bad at all. I was struggling a little going up and down stairs afterwards but the next day there wasn't a bother on me and on the monday on the easy run I didn't feel like I'd done much running.

Still deciding about whether or not to do a marathon this year. A few more long runs should help me decide. At the moment my heart says yes, but the brain says "why bother yourself?" :)

I thought that at the end line last yr, but i'm doing it again:o

Wednesday 11th April

Lunchtime running: Speed session. 2km warm up at 6:00min/km pace followed by 10 x (400m @4:20min/km pace, 200m 9:00 min/km walk)
    5 min cooldown.

Felt good. I know 4:20 pace isn't really a speed session to some but it felt comfortable to me. I know I wouldn't be able to hold it for a 10k yet but oneday!

Thursday 12th April

Lunch: 50 min run (+5 min cooldown). Brought HR monitor with me for a chage so decided to train by HR. Plan was to keep heart around 125bpm which I managed although it started to rise towards the end. 8.65km done at easy pace.

Evening: Turbo Session.
    10 min warm-up
    9 x (3 min hard, 2 mins easy)
    5 min cooldown

Forgot to open a window and didn't want to get off the bike so sweated it out. Nice session especially considering I was on the verge of going straight to bed when I got home from work (mental rather then physical fatigue). Brain out turbo session was just what the doctor ordered and I'm full of endorphins now!

I don't want to jinx myself but I am really enjoying training at the moment. I feel I'm getting fitter by the day and the weight has started to drop off me again. most of my work shirts are an 18" collar and they now look huge on me. I bought some 16.5" slim fit ones 3 weeks ago and the plan is to get into them by the end of May. They're a little snug at the moment!

A few weeks ago I looked at my targets for the year and was pretty dismissive in my thinking with a lot of "It's going to be tough/nearly impossible" thoughts dominating my thinking. Now I'm looking forward to the challenge. Tri an Mhi will very much be a training session but I am quite looking forward to it and seeing how much of a base I have for the season.

First test though will be a 10k in the K Club next weekend. My PB for 10k is 52:08 and I'm hoping for sub 48:00. Based on my last 4 mile time McMillan has me at 51:02, but that doesn't take into accout the 12km slow run I had done prior to it!. One of the lads at work scoffed when I told him my target. So it looks like I've a point to prove!

Friday 13th April

Rest day today so just a 20 min run @ 6 min /km pace.

Saturday 14th April 2012

Long Slow Run day, had switched the GPS onto kms instead of miles so after last weeks 10 min mile pace decided that 6 min per km was about the same and was also bang in the middle of what Mcmillan recommends.
    No headphones just me and my thoughts. 22km at an average near enough bang on 6 min per km pace - 9:38 min per mile. Happy with this, didn't feel any more of an effort than last week (HR avg 125, last week HR avg 131) and was slightly faster.

Sunday 15th April 2012

Club cycle. Was originally going to be a hilly one to the Naul but as it looked like a sunny enough day decided to go to Malahide instead. It didn't stay sunny, I was sat outside Starbucks in Malahide with steam coming off my breath and rain drops coming down. The wind coming off the estuary was freezing too on the way back but we ended up pushing the run out to up the milage and I finished with 80km. Nearly all done in Zone 1, I think 2 mins were just over in Zone 2.

Saturday 14th April 2012

Long Slow Run day, had switched the GPS onto kms instead of miles so after last weeks 10 min mile pace decided that 6 min per km was about the same and was also bang in the middle of what Mcmillan recommends.
    No headphones just me and my thoughts. 22km at an average near enough bang on 6 min per km pace - 9:38 min per mile. Happy with this, didn't feel any more of an effort than last week (HR avg 125, last week HR avg 131) and was slightly faster.

Sunday 15th April 2012

Club cycle. Was originally going to be a hilly one to the Naul but as it looked like a sunny enough day decided to go to Malahide instead. It didn't stay sunny, I was sat outside Starbucks in Malahide with steam coming off my breath and rain drops coming down. The wind coming off the estuary was freezing too on the way back but we ended up pushing the run out to up the milage and I finished with 80km. Nearly all done in Zone 1, I think 2 mins were just over in Zone 2.

Great pace on the run, a sub 2 hr half marathon shouldn't be a problem at all !

Great pace on the run, a sub 2 hr half marathon shouldn't be a problem at all !

I have loftier targets than that :D

I have loftier targets than that :D

And what might that be ?

And what might that be ?

Keeping it to myself for now to see how training/weight loss goes but there is a certain persons times I would love to beat.

He's another nemesis for this year which I think takes it up to six for this year...

Bill, The Wordsmith, Mr Sunshine, The Alien, The Liar and Claire (not his real name!).

All this talk of nemesi means I really have been reading Catweazle's log too much but I find it a great incentive to think "What would x be doing now" when I feel like missing training.

Oh, and did I mention I've entered the marathon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I have forgotten most of mine its been so long since I last raced, I am even thinking of entering an AR race at this stage to finally let my strong cyclist friend have a fair cut at me as he can't swim - (still waiting on them to post the cycle route up on the website - Connemara Rough Diamond). It wont be happening though if its off road on the bike, I will need to talk myself out of a wedding as well that weekend :(

Looking at some of the local results around here though in duathlons and club races and all the guys I am after seem to have all come on big time so I am hoping the same for me but its hard to replicate race pace to see where I am at as I am not the greatest for pushing myself in training

catweazle wrote: »
    I have forgotten most of mine its been so long since I last raced, I am even thinking of entering an AR race at this stage to finally let my strong cyclist friend have a fair cut at me as he can't swim - (still waiting on them to post the cycle route up on the website - Connemara Rough Diamond). It wont be happening though if its off road on the bike, I will need to talk myself out of a wedding as well that weekend :(

Looking at some of the local results around here though in duathlons and club races and all the guys I am after seem to have all come on big time so I am hoping the same for me but its hard to replicate race pace to see where I am at as I am not the greatest for pushing myself in training

That's the thing isn't it, I can study last years times that people did and then try to match or beat them, but there's a pretty good chance that they've moved on from their too. Still there's always the chance they've stood still!

Monday 16th April 2012

40 mins easy run. Treadmill, 10.6 speed (5:39 min/km) and 1.0 incline. Nice and steady with 5 mins coold down. 7.51km's done.

No swim tonight as I'm helping out with coaching so have switched to Thursday mornings on my coached swim. Going to try and swim Mon, Tue, Thu, Sat from next week. Today was out as I wasn't sure when the 50m pool closed to become 25m.

Tuesday 17th April 2012

Lunch: 40 mins (+5 mins cooldown) easy run with a small race pace tempo interval in the middle. 8.18kms done

Evening: Ended up stuck in work till 7 then had to get he bus so not home till gone 8. Put my head down on the pillow and decided to have a sleep until my conscious got the better of me and a "Do you think your rivals/nemisi are havnig a nap?" thought snapped me into action. Cycle gear on and down for a quick session in the kitchen. 10 mins WU, 5 x (6 mins intense, 3 mins easy), 5 mins cool down. Wife walked in after 40 mins wondering why I was cycling in the dark . Didn't really have an answer for that but it's not like I was in danger of being run over.

Not going to sleep and doing a turbo wasn't a case of not listening to my body. I am intrinsically lazy and would sleep all day given the opportunity.

Wednesday 18th April

Lunchtime: Speed intervals session, 10 min warm-up @ 5:40 min km pace, (5 x 2 mins @ 4:30 pace, 1 min easy pace @ 5:40 pace), 5 min easy, 5 min cool down. 6.05km.

Evening: First swim in over a week. 800m / 20 mins easy warm up then a few time trial sessions to get an idea of where I am heading into the season and a new swim programme.

First up was 3 x 100m, 20s rest, coming in on 1:44, 1:40, 1:42. (100m Avg: 1:42)
    Then 3x300m, 30s rest, coming in on 5:30, 5:20, 5:40 Avg: 5:30 (100m Avg: 1:50)

200m Cool down

Now onto a 13 week plan for swimming and then a retest.

Thursday 19th April

Early morning swim session:
    WU: 2 x (50m FC, 50m BS, 100m side kick)
    4 x (25m FC Sprint, 25m recovery ,15s rest)
    400m fins, 30s rest
    400m pull, 30s rest
    400m fins, 30s rest
    400m pull, 30s rest
    400m fins, 30s rest
    4 x (25m FC Sprint, 25m recovery ,15s rest)
    Total: 2800m

Tough session and shoulders were aching after yesterdays swim. I was in the faster fo the two lanes but struggled at times to hold the feet of those in front (Macanri!)

Evening: Turbo. 15mins warmup, 5 x (4mins hard, 2 mins recovery), 5 mins CD.

Tired and happy that the week is coming to an end and a recovery week is next.

Friday 20th April 2012

Rest day so just a quick run on the treadmill over in the gym at recovery pace to ease the legs and get the blood flowing. Only 4kms done.

Racing the 10k at the K-Club tomorrow and honestly have no idea of how I might do. Training has been going well, I'm about a stone lighter than the last time I ran a 10k so all things being equal I should better last years time. The GPS is going to be set to a pace of 48mins and dependent on how that feels at the 5km mark I may push it on from there. Well that's the plan anyway, we'll see the reality tomorrow.

Saturday 21st April 2012

BHAA - K Club 10k

My last 10k was Dunshaughlin last year where I ran 52:08 and was pretty plesed with it but I was hoping I could beat that here today.

Traveled up with "Bill" got there in plenty of time to register and get changed. Warm-up consisted of walking from the start line to the gate and back. A lot of crazy people were already running before the race!

After moving back from the startline a couple of times as the runners in front were too far forward we eventually got going. Was a little bit congested for the first 1km or so but soon thinned out and I got going. I had my GPS set to pace me for a 48 min 10k and Iwas a little down on that due to the congestion but after the second km I was bang on target. I felt quite comfortable at that point so slightly upped the pace and the downhill part near the waer station was a good chance to stretch my legs. I kept picking people in front, working to catch them, held their shoulders and moved onto the next target, all the while keeping an eye on the pace. 2nd lap flew and at the water station I slowed down to take a cup of the smallest girl as she kept getting ignored and was getting annoyed, sure for a few seconds it made her day :)

Coming up tot he finish I was feeling strong and managed to put a sprint in towards the line. I saw the clock at 46:xx and was tempted to slow my sprint to get an easier PB to beat next time. Couldn't do it though and I crossed in 46:48 for a new PB by 5:18.

Great spread afterwards, the chicken wings were great and I could have easily eaten double digits of doughnuts but used a little self control.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thats one hell of a pb. :) And by the sounds of it, you didn't even find it hard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Excellent work there! And bonus points for making that little girl's day! :)

Advertisement