Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Ireland 70.3 - Sept 2nd 2012

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Can I access my bike Sunday morning to put my nutrition/drinks on board, check tyres etc?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm in Mayo and will be traveling up Saturday to register and rack my gear and then coming up Sunday morning for the race. I just want to make sure I have everything I need at the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭ratracer

Rawhead wrote: »
    Can I access my bike Sunday morning to put my nutrition/drinks on board, check tyres etc?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm in Mayo and will be traveling up Saturday to register and rack my gear and then coming up Sunday morning for the race. I just want to make sure I have everything I need at the right time.

You will have access to your bike on Sunday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Trying to get my head around the bags at the moment.

It says put warm clothes in the white bag for after the race. Can you put the clothes you had on the morning of the race, tracksuit bottoms & top for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Yep thats what most did last year. Strip off and pack your day gear into the white bag with a rain jacket too (just in case)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Yep thats what most did last year. Strip off and pack your day gear into the white bag with a rain jacket too (just in case)

Be positive, all you'll need is shorts and tee to change in to afterwards :D

• Advertisement

If you have them, throw some recovery tights or likewise in to it too. There will be free massage after too. Worth the wait IMO

pgibbo wrote: »
    Be positive, all you'll need is shorts and tee to change in to afterwards :D

Sun cream it is so!! (water resistant, just in case) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Sun cream it is so!! (water resistant, just in case) ;)

What, just in case theres a swim. I wouldnt bother :pac:

What, just in case theres a swim. I wouldnt bother :pac:

Oh ye of little faith! The water resistance is for the sweat during the heat wave, we've ordered for the weekend.

Oh ye of little faith! The water resistance is for the sweat during the heat wave, we've ordered for the weekend.

Well Mr Cranium over on the weather thread is predicting warm dry weather. As long as it's not a funking gale force wind like the Humbert I don't care.
    It really would make this race if we got a nice day and help secure it's future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Thanks for that.

I know it's probably been asked a load of times here before, but what food do ye eat on the bike? I was thinking of taking a few High 5 protein bars & a pack of Sports Beans. Would that be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Won't be enough.. i am bringing a disposable BBQ, sausages, rashers and bread. :rolleyes:

Hard for anybody to really advise you, everybody has different needs/can stomac different things.
    I am sure there is to be an optimum combinaison of fluid & calory intake per hour, but probably best to stick to what you did during your training.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Rawhead wrote: »
    Well Mr Cranium over on the weather thread is predicting warm dry weather.

Well check these out....not looking good at the mo, but still a bit to early to say for definite.

Galway Saturday

Galway Sunday

911sc wrote: »
    Well check these out....not looking good at the mo, but still a bit to early to say for definite.

Galway Saturday

Galway Sunday

Wouldn't worry about that either. The default setting for all forecasters when it comes to the west of Ireland is to show rain in the long term forecast and modify it closer to the time.

Just ask the Mayor of Buncranna

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭frazzledazzle

What ever happens the weather is going to be better than last year ............ there will be a full swim (thats a bold statement), swim is at high tide all looking good .......... little wind forecast, what more can you ask for in the west !

The Galway 70.3's glass is half full !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Anyone know which pros are doing this? I think Terenzo Bozzone is in, fresh from a win in Brazil...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Anyone know which pros are doing this? I think Terenzo Bozzone is in, fresh from a win in Brazil...

I saw that also but it doesn't really make sense does it?
    Terenzo Bozzone coming a week after a Brazil win (70.3 I think??) to Ireland?
    Maybe...

Mike Aigroz, defending champ and 6th at Kona last year is the main guy.

BMC

Jan van Berkel

Matt Ellis (heard of him I think)

Few UK guys but I don't know after that.

Female has

Eimear Mullan
    Tine Deckers - won IM France this year
    Couple uk Girls again not sure on ability.

Paul Hawkins was 3rd in IM UK, he's over.
    Theres also another due in which has not been announced yet should give Bozzone a run for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Paul Hawkins was 3rd in IM UK, he's over.
    Theres also another due in which has not been announced yet should give Bozzone a run for the money.

So Bozzone is defo over?

Another top name pro not announced yet?
    Hard to see the PR logic there!
    Maybe waiting till they arrive to be sure so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I swear, if one more person comes up to me to ask how I'm set for the Ironman this weekend and then give me a baffled look when I say mine is in 4 weeks..... :mad:

Oh and Best of luck to all doing Galway.. hope the weather is in your favour. Go on Fazz and Shell to Run, bring it home for the boardies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I swear, if one more person comes up to me to ask how I'm set for the Ironman this weekend and then give me a baffled look when I say mine is in 4 weeks..... :mad:

Oh and Best of luck to all doing Galway.. hope the weather is in your favour. Go on Fazz and Shell to Run, bring it home for the boardies :)

Oh the irony that neither is actually an Ironman.

JB versus MCOS............

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

"I hear you did an ironman this year?"
    "yeah, in Austria"
    "why didnt you just do the one in Galway?"
    .....:mad:

Lay people will never understand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

tunney wrote: »
    Oh the irony that neither is actually an Ironman.

JB versus MCOS............
    I tried explaining to one of them that I was doing a Challenge event. The reply ? "great best of luck with that. maybe you can build up to the Ironman in Galway next year" !!!

Yep MCOS vs JB to see who can eat the most afterwards

Surely that should read drink and not eat???? :D

Besides, a few prawns and JB is on the floor :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

The German lad Potrebitsch is quite a decent guy and should be on the podium. 3rd at IM frankfurt last year and has Itu background.
    van Berkeel I think came 2nd at IM switzerland and raced the itu sprint world champs last week.
    Interesing to see Bozzone , 6-7 years ago I was sure he would win Hawaii one year before he seemed to run into injury trouble the last 2 years, but if half fit over 70.3 he has to be the favorite.
    Its a good filed for the guys .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You better believe it and polished off with plenty of beer.

Looking out the window here at work and it's pretty bleak out there today. I sure hope it improves for Sunday morning. The sky has the cut of murder as they say :eek:

Transition could be interesting if it stays wet as I believe it's on grass at the back of the where the Expo was last year. I believe the Expo is in the same location again.

On a positive note it's not too windy so bodes well for the swim :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

This should put all your minds at ease...

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Connacht/Galway/hour_by_hour.html

Plan on doing it next year so it's in my interest for this years one to have a complete swim!

Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Fazz wrote: »
    So Bozzone is defo over?

Another top name pro not announced yet?
    Hard to see the PR logic there!
    Maybe waiting till they arrive to be sure so.

Bozzone over for Galway 70.3. Big coup for the organisers. The race may not be dead yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Bozzone over for Galway 70.3. Big coup for the organisers. The race may not be dead yet.

If only the success of a race was based on the presence of a pro.

In all honesty the target audience of this race have no clue who he is

Advertisement