Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should The Great White Shark Be Culled From Planet Earth??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

5 died in shark attacks? That's awful, OP.

Meanwhile in Syria...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,174 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Actually I heard it on Fox News once believe it or not as argument regarding drilling in Alaska (not sharks but regarding deer and stuff).

And no I don't support it, I think I mentioned that at the bottom of my post.

Yeah I got that you don't support it, you were referring to the people who do as disgusting bastards not the sharks. The thing is I seriously doubt anyone anywhere is suggesting a worldwide cull. It's total hyperbole.

If I google world wide cull of great whites all I find is this thread and one you (I'm guessing) started on another forum. Everything else is about people considering localised culls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

dj jarvis wrote: »
    the 7 people who have voted yes so far should be fed to the sharks

seriously - whoever came up with the idea to cull sharks should be beaten to death with snooker balls in socks

I voted yes. It's time we put an end to these bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Another Great White Shark attack off the coast of Australia, 5 in total have died this year in Western Australia and now these fatal attacks have prompted a call to lift ban on killing great white sharks.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/aug/25/great-white-shark-attacks-australia?newsfeed=true

The lastest victim was only swimming 200 metres off shore in Western Australia. Many arguments are now in favor in killing Great White Sharks to reduce their numbers, some are even calling for a potential worldwide cull, calling for them to face extinction if possible because they are such disgusting bastards.

Many people are proud humans and believe the human race should dominate throughout the world to the point where if almost every animal became extinct apart from humanity, then thats a job well done as humanity has proven to be the most superior and so be it. If its affecting tourism potentially and driving away numbers then the argument is that sharks should be killed. Humanity should come first is the claim.

I'm obviously in favour of keeping great white sharks and think the tourists should go and f*ck themselves since its the sharks natural habitat anyway. Although of course I have a great deal of sympathy for those who died.

You thoughts? Time for a cull??

If I found some bloke walking around my house in a pair of speedos I probably go jurassic on his ass too.

Seriously though, the sight of a great white shark propelling itself out of the sea to grab a seal in its mouth is one of the great sights...

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭histories

People make me sad. We are talking about a species that is one of the oldest on the planet. Evolution honed to perfection! Sharks are beautiful creatures and a very necessary part of ocean life.

Should we cull all drunk drivers? I'd wager more people have been killed on the roads than in shark attacks.

Get the f*ck out of the water or else accept the fact that if you are in water known to have sharks you may end up losing a limb or worse.

I like the way the Hawaiian people view sharks. Certainly better than our MURDER DEATH KILL approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Pherekydes wrote: »
    5 died in shark attacks? That's awful, OP.

Meanwhile in Syria...
    Totally irrelevant
    Big difference there mate
    Syrians can stop what they are doing on their own land doesn't take much to just stop shooting people
    We enter shark waters and get killed its our own fault
    Can't stop a shark from bein an apex predator and perhaps the oldest animal on the planet and there's a reason why it's still here since dinosaur era

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭leakyboots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

There is talk of them resurrecting the Wolly Mammoth in the next few years, so how about a "swap a species programme". The Great White (nasty vicious man eater) is culled and wiped off the face of the planet, then the Wolly Mammoth (nice, warm & cuddly) is reintroduced to palnet Earth.

Next in line would be the culling of all Piranha fish (vicious, dangerous, killer), this species could be replaced by the Dodo Bird (a gentle harmless & lovely creature), which people would love to have around again, providing of course they could find some good dna for a resurrection programme.

:D;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It is true about the punch to the nose. It could save your life some day...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

:eek:
    Jesus I hope that wasn't a freudian slip on my behalf and just a typing problem!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I think surfers who ignore shark warnings and then get attacked by sharks should be culled...oh wait...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

I voted yes. It's time we put an end to these bastards.

im sure the big shark will find little old you tasty tasty

funny - loads of people up for killing and punching GWS , but none for at least a 1000km from our shores

wait till they run up onto dollymount strand and punch the living crap outta you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

leakyboots wrote: »

I love the "YEOO HOOO HOOO!!"...a real once in a lifetime experience to be that close

:pac:

Only one way to find out mate
    *packs suitcase with boxing gloves*
    Right I'm going to oz see yas in a month or not!
    Lol

Only one way to find out mate
    *packs suitcase with boxing gloves*
    Right I'm going to oz see yas in a month or not!
    Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

danniemcq wrote: »
    people are the number one killer of people

should we all be culled too?

and then lions, tigers, snakes, jellyfish, spiders, elephants, rhinos, hippos....

and should we empty the water from the oceans to stop people drowning?

...and bears oh my

on topic: this is the dumbest idea I'v heard in a while in a long sorry line of dumb ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Just pet their gills, they love that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I heard somewhere the gills are the place to hit or pull.

Not that I ever want to find out. I think if I was in a sharks gob I would be hitting it everywhere.

But in the water your impact from your fists would not be strong. Imagine hitting someone in the pool.

I remember batman had Batshark repellent spray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Many people are proud humans and believe the human race should dominate throughout the world to the point where if almost every animal became extinct apart from humanity, then thats a job well done as humanity has proven to be the most superior and so be it.

I know you're kidding but fuck me I need to address this point in case some idiot believes it.

Humanity has not shown itself to be the most superior animal. We may be the most technologically advanced but we often use this tech to destroy each other by the million - up to and including wiping out the entire species over an ideological argument.

Also, there is no proof that intelligence leads to survivability - it may even increase the risk of self-destruction for all we know.
    Ripley: You know, Burke, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them ****ing each other over for a goddamn percentage.

Aliens

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Colmustard wrote: »
    I heard somewhere the gills are the place to hit or pull.
    It's the nose, they have a very sensitive group of nerves in the nose. The problem is if a shark wants to eat you you probably won't see it coming. Most bites from a passing shark are just a friendly how are ya.

• Advertisement

wprathead wrote: »
    ...and bears oh my

on topic: this is the dumbest idea I'v heard in a while in a long sorry line of dumb ideas

Stupid looking Hippos are the most dangerous in Africa, they are very aggressive and can run very fast on land.

But the most dangerous of all is the humble mosquito that still does kill about 2 million a year.

Now try cull that.

Humanity has not shown itself to be the most superior animal. We may be the most technologically advanced but we often use this tech to destroy each other by the million - up to and including wiping out the entire species over an ideological argument.
    That's superiority in the natural world. What makes a successful animal is often it's ability to kill all around it. Nature is cruel and it loves killers.
    Also, there is no proof that intelligence leads to survivability - it may even increase the risk of self-destruction for all we know.
    There is proof, humans are on every continent on the planet surviving in every type of environment. That's proof right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Animals like to eat other animals. :confused:

Damn who knew??

I think we should kill all the animals and then proceed to kill ourselves. Then animals wouldn't need to kill other animals :D... becouse they would be all dead

I am actully embarressed for the OP :o

/tread/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's superiority in the natural world. What makes a successful animal is often it's ability to kill all around it. Nature is cruel and it loves killers.

Killing in nature is one thing - mass extinction is quite another. Other animals don't have the ability to destroy the planet and each other on the scale humans do.
    There is proof, humans are on every continent on the planet surviving in every type of environment. That's proof right there.

That's not proof of survivability of the species. As I said - we came quite close to wiping out our own species (among others) during the Cuban Missile Crisis and it was because we have the technology to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Actually if you turn a shark upside down it goes into a temporary coma. You could wrestle with it!

Killing in nature is one thing - mass extinction is quite another. Other animals don't have the ability to destroy the planet and each other on the scale humans do.
    Humans are nature all our killing is as natural as a snake venom or tornadoes. Just because other animals can't destroy the planet doesn't mean they wouldn't given half the chance. Our behaviour is still basic mammalian behaviour, the stuff that makes us assholes is the stuff that's been with us for millions of years. Look what rabbits and frogs are doing to Australia, complete destruction with not a care given.

That's not proof of survivability of the species. As I said - we came quite close to wiping out our own species (among others) during the Cuban Missile Crisis and it was because we have the technology to do so.
    That is proof, there's no proof we would have wiped out the human race in a full on nuclear war, in fact we made provisions to survive such an occurrence. Humans have shown that there's very few places we cannot survive. Not even cockroaches can survive in all the environments we can.

By your logic all animals have no ability to survive because they can't deal with asteroid strikes.

smash wrote: »
    Actually if you turn a shark upside down it goes into a temporary coma. You could wrestle with it!

Killer whales have actually worked that out, they stun them, then turn them upside down to drown them.

Some big killers will attack a great white directly and win. Killer whales are the seas apex predator. So YaY lets cull them.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

ScumLord wrote: »

Techonological advancment is two fold. There can be very negative outcomes if the whole of society isn't mature with the advancments.
    If they are mature and do not kill eachother with them then life will tend to get better for society.
    example could be the fission bomb. Could lead to mass extinction (and nearly did) if society cant cop on and be mature with it
    However it was nescorry to devolope this techonology for the purpose of fission reactors/energy. This could lead to fusion power and after that who knows.

We are only begining in the development of possilbe mass extinction techonologies. Missuse them and we go by by. If we can be mature with them we can and will reap rewards for our society

This is a really interesting artical once you get into it. A bit offtopic (and mad) in places but does explain this much better than i can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Apparently they may be able to develop a shark repellant some day.
    Sharks won't go any where near other dead rotting sharks.

I saw two scuba divers enter the water with about 10 sharks who were in a feeding frenzy. They sunk down to the ocean floor and released a bag of distilled shark tissue, within minutes the sharks swarm off into the distance and never returned.

They were saying that the scent could be incorporated into surf boards, wet suits and even sun screens, pretty cool I thought.

I saw an interesting documentary about that a while back; a group of killer whales attacked some Great Whites off the Californian coast, and the sharks were so spooked by the smell of another dead shark they changed their migration path all the way to Hawaii.

Incidentally, that documentary also suggested the killer whale is the real 'apex predator', considerably smarter than sharks. Wait a minute, maybe that's what we should do: introduce loads of killer whales into shark-infested waters. What could possibly go wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I am actully embarressed for the OP
    I'm obviously in favour of keeping great white sharks and think the tourists should go and f*ck themselves since its the sharks natural habitat anyway. Although of course I have a great deal of sympathy for those who died.

You thoughts? Time for a cull??

How come you embarrassed for him- he was just asking for our opinions?

thankfully it is almost unanimous that no one here supports a cull
    and is scary that a country like Australia is even considering it

Advertisement