Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should The Great White Shark Be Culled From Planet Earth??

Options
  • 27-08-2012 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Another Great White Shark attack off the coast of Australia, 5 in total have died this year in Western Australia and now these fatal attacks have prompted a call to lift ban on killing great white sharks.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/aug/25/great-white-shark-attacks-australia?newsfeed=true

The lastest victim was only swimming 200 metres off shore in Western Australia. Many arguments are now in favor in killing Great White Sharks to reduce their numbers, some are even calling for a potential worldwide cull, calling for them to face extinction if possible because they are such disgusting bastards.

Many people are proud humans and believe the human race should dominate throughout the world to the point where if almost every animal became extinct apart from humanity, then thats a job well done as humanity has proven to be the most superior and so be it. If its affecting tourism potentially and driving away numbers then the argument is that sharks should be killed. Humanity should come first is the claim.

I'm obviously in favour of keeping great white sharks and think the tourists should go and f*ck themselves since its the sharks natural habitat anyway. Although of course I have a great deal of sympathy for those who died.

You thoughts? Time for a cull??

Do You Support A Cull Of Great White Sharks Worldwide?? 24 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 24 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

no. just no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Too many people on the planet. If anything we need a cull on the human population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The greatest apex predator on the planet should be killed because of 5 deaths this year? No f*cking way!

Too many people on the planet. If anything we need a cull on the human population.

we can start with all the casts of every 'reality' tv show ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cybercubed

a bit arrogant of mankind to eliminate another species so aussies can go surfing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

We are invading their domain, and we think THEY should be culled? Humans :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Let's look at it this way.

We go into their territory, we should expect the odd shark attack, sharks have been patrolling the earths oceans and seas for millions of years, before human's even appeared on earth.

The day that sharks start walking up our streets and Towns, randomly chomping on innocent people in Tesco, I'd be the first to call for a culling of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Mr. Boo

Of course not. Remove apex predators and you get cascading effects throughout the food-web.

There's enough fohcking humans anyhow, RIP etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So people are swiming in shark infested waters, and rather than use a bit of cop on and you know, stop swimming in shark infested waters, they propose to destroy all of the sharks all over the world, to save a handful of people?

What kind of idiocy is this?

Australia is one country where they know all too well what happens when you fnck with an ecosystem and remove or add an animal from it. I'm surprised they're even giving airtime to these moronic suggestions.

Put a sign on the beaches saying, "Warning: Sharks" and leave it be. If people die, then they die.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

If I break into your house and you shoot me fair game.

The sea is the sharks house.

We enter knowing the risks.

FFS, The Arrogance of people is unreal.

The Eco systmen has been in balance for billions of years and you want to destroy that so some drunk Aussies can go for a swim?

There are words for that sort of special genocide stupidity but suffice to say it wouldn't get through to the idocacy of anyone that holds that opinion dear.

I say feed the stupid bigots to the sharks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Mr. Boo

Besides, we're well on the way to destroying all of the shark populations on the planet without targeting one species or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

people are the number one killer of people

should we all be culled too?

and then lions, tigers, snakes, jellyfish, spiders, elephants, rhinos, hippos....

and should we empty the water from the oceans to stop people drowning?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I think we have a good deal going with these magnificent creatures.

If Mr. Whitey comes walking around on dry land there's a high probability that he'll die.

If we swim in Mr. Whitey's turf there's small possibility that we will die.

I think that's fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

If you don't want to get get eaten by sharks, don't go swimming in their habitat.
    Simples.
    By your logic, we should exterminate lions, hyenas, cheetahs etc. Nonsense.

(Also, it would do great damage to the eco system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

"The latest fatality was Ben Linden, 24, who was surfing 200 metres offshore when a great white bit him in half, according to witnesses"

Thought the yanks got this guy a few years back?

RIP for the poor fella.. terrible way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Op.....calling them disgusting bastards imo shows you obviously have some serious issues.
    One of the most graceful creatures on earth and you describe them like that.
    The guy was surfing 200m out,not surprised he was scoffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

yeah...no the sea aint our world so leave the fcuk alone, 5 deaths :eek: thats shocking and yet theres a thread in AH about 17 people getting beheaded for having a bit of craic in afghan

kegzmc wrote: »
    Adolf is that you?
    Forest Gump, is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

seamus wrote: »
    So people are swiming in shark infested waters, and rather than use a bit of cop on and you know, stop swimming in shark infested waters, they propose to destroy all of the sharks all over the world, to save a handful of people?

What kind of idiocy is this?

Australia is one country where they know all too well what happens when you fnck with an ecosystem and remove or add an animal from it. I'm surprised they're even giving airtime to these moronic suggestions.

Put a sign on the beaches saying, "Warning: Sharks" and leave it be. If people die, then they die.

Exactly. They brought in great anti smoking legislation there recently. Why not follow it up with something similar for shark infested waters. Like a big sign on the beach saying "Surfing Causes Amputation" with a graphic photo of a man's leg in a shark's mouth. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Many arguments are now in favor in killing Great White Sharks to reduce their numbers, some are even calling for a potential worldwide cull, calling for them to face extinction if possible because they are such disgusting bastards.
    ...such disgusting bastards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I mean how many of you even know a Great White Shark? That's what I thought, and you know why? Cos they're horrible bastards. GWS's are absolute arseholes of the highest order. You're all a bunch of Liberal bleeding hearts. I bet if a GWS moved in next door to you, you'd be the first on the phone to the council. They eat their f*cking siblings in utero. They'd eat your f*cking kids given half the chance. Death to the dirty darkeyes.

F*ck em an everything that looks like em.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

i say kill them
    or cut their numbers
    other wise we could face an invasion :O

like out of the movie ' the other guys '
    if anyone wants to post a youtube video of it go ahead i cant at the moment :D

Kold wrote: »
    They eat their f*cking siblings in utero.

Do they have teeth inside their womb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Ghandee wrote: »
    The day that sharks start walking up our streets and Towns, randomly chomping on innocent people in Tesco, I'd be the first to call for a culling of them.

That would be funny to watch.

Isn't it the case that the majority of shark attacks are against those who are surfing at the time? From below, and to a shark's eye, an individual paddling on a surf board looks awfully like a seal. When this is seen by a shark its natural instinct kicks in and it attacks. Shark attacks are rarely against those who are just swimming, as sharks generally have no interest in killing humans. So, this image that sharks are blood-thirsty monsters is, for the most part, completely wrong: they're not thirsty for human blood, we're just too good at imitating the actions and characteristics of a seal.

Kold wrote: »
    I mean how many of you even know a Great White Shark? That's what I thought, and you know why? Cos they're horrible bastards. GWS's are absolute arseholes of the highest order. You're all a bunch of Liberal bleeding hearts. I bet if a GWS moved in next door to you, you'd be the first on the phone to the council. They eat their f*cking siblings in utero. They'd eat your f*cking kids given half the chance. Death to the dirty darkeyes.

F*ck em an everything that looks like em.

did you lose a leg to "gws" or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Billy Connolly said it best. Basically we aren't welcome in the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

ONLY 200m from shore!!? That's a nice distance out.

If they want to save more than 5 lives A YEAR, just ban cars. They kill well over 5 people a DAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

As they say, most GW attacks are from tasters a quick bite to see what we are and then usually swim away.

You can go around killing fish or mamals or other preditory animals because they attack after you invade their territory

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

"The latest fatality was Ben Linden, 24, who was surfing 200 metres offshore when a great white bit him in half, according to witnesses"

Thought the yanks got this guy a few years back?

RIP for the poor fella.. terrible way to go.

I thought he was killed by Seals not Sharks ;)

Advertisement