Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done. It'd be a tough course when you're in good shape never mind carrying an injury. Would have liked to give this a whack today.

Totally jealous about missing the ice cream. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Well done today, it’s never easy to race with a niggle, hope you get it sorted soon. And congrats to mr.stew as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Super job you!!! Excellent report - and I love how they mixed up your bib/pen, but it sounds like you handled it like a champ. And I think you can keep 3 as your lucky number. ;)

P.S. Congrats to Mr. Stew on his awesome performance!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Marthastew wrote: »
    I think when you’re racing and you have even the slightest doubt about your ability and in particular a physical doubt then it really is tough going.
    Amen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

That sounds like a challenging course and a battle with your inner demon! Well done for winning out over the demon and in a great time:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Super job you!!! Excellent report - and I love how they mixed up your bib/pen, but it sounds like you handled it like a champ. And I think you can keep 3 as your lucky number. ;)

P.S. Congrats to Mr. Stew on his awesome performance!!!!

DD, how lovely to see you over here, we miss you:), although I'm sure everybody is doing the same as me and popping over to see how you're doing (amazing training in that heat:D), I'm tempted to get myself a swishy running/cocktail dress to cheer myself up... I think you may have started a trend;)

Tuesday August 7th
    :(

Big slap on the wrist from the physio for racing yesterday, I woke with a very angry left leg this morning and I knew I'd be getting value for money with the dry needling.... Hamstring and calf very, very tight.
    Why is it that a trip to the physio always leaves me feeling like a complete novice who hasn't a clue what I'm up to? (Don't answer that;))

A very tough session of dry needling and massaging my hip flexor, kinesio tape applied and instructions for no running for the next couple of days, and she reckons I'll hopefully be back to running easy paced runs. Have to say I'm really glad I'm only pacing 2 hours in the Midlands Half this weekend, as it'll give me a chance to get some of those easy miles in in a nice environment.
    I've to lay off the speed work for the forseeable future as that's what seems to be aggravating my leg. I'm back to see her again next week for another session where I pretend to be a pin cushion ( a very bold pin cushion)

Negatives
    Already I'm stressed that I can't run and I'm wondering how the family will survive my lack of endorphins;)
    Loss of speedwork will greatly affect my running fitness

Positives
    It's just under 8 weeks to Berlin so while I will have to revise my plan and goals somewhat I might still be able to sneak in under 3.30 if I make a speedy recovery.
    I'm still allowed to cross-train so I've dusted the cobwebs off my lovely road-bike and I'm heading to Enniskerry tomorrow morning with a pal in search of those endorphins.
    Ray will get a chance to beat me to 2,000 miles;)

TBH I'm pretty pi**ed off to say the least but I've got my mother-in-law saying a novena at the momentsmile.gif
    Dory, you better dig out those rosary beads again

DD, how lovely to see you over here, we miss you:), although I'm sure everybody is doing the same as me and popping over to see how you're doing (amazing training in that heat:D), I'm tempted to get myself a swishy running/cocktail dress to cheer myself up... I think you may have started a trend;)

First of all, I miss you running peeps! I've had a few visitors since the move, but I don't think Sir Krusty has even popped over for a visit yet. He said something about too many clicks. :(

Second of all, you really need to try the running dress - it is quite fab. Of course your weather is different than mine, but I still think you'd like the liberating feel of it. ;)
    Tuesday August 7th

Dory, you better dig out those rosary beads again

Rosary beads are at the ready, but my observation is that a lot of you runners seem to really benefit from a break in training at about this stage in the plan....so, this could be a blessing in disguise! Plus, with your base and talent you'll be awesome on race day! :D Mind the physio and that calf!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

A bit of (relative) rest will do you absoutely no harm - it's not timed bad for you as you'll be back at it in good time for the final Berlin stretch.

Introduced myself to Mr. Stew tonight (I meant to congratulate him on his 10k time) but was laughing at him telling us that he beat his wife :eek: and she's gone for treatment - think somebody was going to call the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Is it definitely the speedwork and racing? You have done an amazing amount of miles this year - how does it compare to last year?

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Is it definitely the speedwork and racing? You have done an amazing amount of miles this year - how does it compare to last year?

It could also be the mileage, I'm up about 60% on last year as the snow really messed up the start and I was extremely erratic over the summer. I managed the high mileage for Conn Ultra and I wasn't doing any speedwork so that's why we think it's to blame.
    When this is sorted I might have to decide between keeping the miles up and speed sessions, any thoughts on which I should concentrate on?
    I'm thinking of dropping back to the P&D 55 mile and see how it goes, surely the Ultra will have helped my endurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Sorry to hear you're kind of out of action. I laughed when I saw you have the bike dusted off and ready for road. Now, why doesn't that surprise me.
    And well done on the 10k.

When this is sorted I might have to decide between keeping the miles up and speed sessions, any thoughts on which I should concentrate on?
    I'm thinking of dropping back to the P&D 55 mile and see how it goes, surely the Ultra will have helped my endurance?

I can't give an unbiased answer :)

When it comes to your Berlin target, how do you think your other race results compare? Which runs in your training have given you most trouble so far, for hitting target paces or distances? I doubt it's the long runs. Whatever sessions you find hardest are the ones you don't want to miss.

After Berlin.. depends on what you enjoy doing really. Do you want to give the club training a proper bash, see where that takes you? Or do you enjoy the long runs more, and are waiting for Connemara entries to open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Or do you enjoy the long runs more, and are waiting for Connemara entries to open?

They are already open ;)

To be honest there is more than one way to skin a cat. Some people do better of medium miles with lots of speedy work. Others do better from lots of miles and less speed work. My advice would be to see what you were doing when making all those improvements a few months ago and look to replicate that.

I would also consider sticking to the plan rather than throwing in speedwork or races just because the club are doing them or the race is closeby ;)
    I think that you have just been overdoing it a little of late.

If you are finind the 70 mpw plan too much then definitely drop back to the 55 MPW one, I don't think endurance will be your issue and you do plenty of Cross training to make up for the missed easy miles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hey missus. Just catching up on your escapades over the last while. Injury aside, well done on the 10k (you silly goose!). You're right to ease it back. I found the club sessions at the start really took it out of me and I'd be sore and tired for a while after - I never had problems like that with my Connemara plod training. It's just a different kettle of fish and you have to let your body adjust. You know yourself that you'll have no problem with endurance so don't even think about that. I had to give myself a kick in the rear with all the races I was doing too and the last month sans-race pressure (physical and mental) has been refreshing. Just make sure to look after yourself! :)

I've had plenty of time over the last week to also mull over my current predicament......
    I can't give an unbiased answer :)

When it comes to your Berlin target, how do you think your other race results compare? Which runs in your training have given you most trouble so far, for hitting target paces or distances? I doubt it's the long runs. Whatever sessions you find hardest are the ones you don't want to miss.

After Berlin.. depends on what you enjoy doing really. Do you want to give the club training a proper bash, see where that takes you? Or do you enjoy the long runs more, and are waiting for Connemara entries to open?

I lack the discipline that is needed for speed sessions and this is one of the reasons I joined a club, I'm also looking forward to giving the club training a proper shot over the winter and then I'll have a better idea of what I enjoy most and also what I'm good at.

menoscemo wrote: »
    They are already open ;)

To be honest there is more than one way to skin a cat. Some people do better of medium miles with lots of speedy work. Others do better from lots of miles and less speed work. My advice would be to see what you were doing when making all those improvements a few months ago and look to replicate that.

I would also consider sticking to the plan rather than throwing in speedwork or races just because the club are doing them or the race is closeby ;)
    I think that you have just been overdoing it a little of late.

If you are finind the 70 mpw plan too much then definitely drop back to the 55 MPW one, I don't think endurance will be your issue and you do plenty of Cross training to make up for the missed easy miles...

I totally agree and as I said before hindsight is a wonderful thing... The fine line between overdoing it and working as hard as I can is always going to be an issue. I dread the thought of arriving at the Start line having not worked hard enough but my over exertion over the last few weeks could have jeopardised my arriving at the start line at all:o
    I need to give more thought as to how to fit the club sessions into my training and train more intelligently, this will all come with experience and also the help and guidance I'm getting from you all on here:)
    claralara wrote: »
    Hey missus. Just catching up on your escapades over the last while. Injury aside, well done on the 10k (you silly goose!). You're right to ease it back. I found the club sessions at the start really took it out of me and I'd be sore and tired for a while after - I never had problems like that with my Connemara plod training. It's just a different kettle of fish and you have to let your body adjust. You know yourself that you'll have no problem with endurance so don't even think about that. I had to give myself a kick in the rear with all the races I was doing too and the last month sans-race pressure (physical and mental) has been refreshing. Just make sure to look after yourself! :)

Kick in the rear was just what I needed... see below.
    Well done on another super pacing gig yesterday, Mr Stew says he can't wait till the next one:)

Wednesday August 8th to Sunday August 12th
    Wednesday morning I dusted the cobwebs of my lovely bike that Santa got me for Christmas four years ago and convinced some friends to join me on a very leisurely spin to Enniskerry. I left my Garmin at home so I’ve no idea of pace/distance but it was easy and it was fun and I arrived home in a much better mood, optimistic for a speedy recovery.

Thursday morning I did a 45 minute lower body class but avoided calf raises and any of the dynamic stuff. My leg felt great after. In the afternoon we headed out on the dart to Bray to watch the Katie Taylor fight and celebrated Ireland’s Gold medal with a dip in the sea and fish and chips. My calf was very tight as we did a lot of walking to and from the venue.

Friday up bright and early for a dip in the sea and the calf felt good so I tried an easy mile on it, still very tight but certainly feeling better.

Saturday morning I brought the boys into Irishtown and tried another easy mile to confirm I was ok to pace the Midlands Half and it was still not a hundred per cent; I knew that if I had to run it I could have done so but I’d definitely be putting my recovery back to square one. I phoned meno and said that if the reserve pacer didn’t want it Mr Stew was only too happy to step into my shoes. As soon as I hung up the phone I regretted doing so and I was so full of energy I almost went for a long run;) (It's driving me mad how I can go from a sensible, somewhat intelligent person to a crazy mile obsessed runner:D)

Sunday morning up bright and early to head down to Portlaosie, we collected Mithril who was also pacing so we had lots to chat about on the way down.
    A great bunch of pacers organised by Meno….. Mithril, RAL3, Claralara, Dig-dig and Aimann and it was great fun chatting with everyone while they were getting ready before the race started. I sent the pacers on their merry way (have to admit I was jealous and feeling a little bit sorry for myself) but not wanting to wallow in self-pity I volunteered to marshal and before I knew it the balloons were arriving back at the Finish line…. but not within their time frame…. the course was 14.3 miles:eek::eek::eek: however all of the pacers did a great job in spite of having to "go the extra mile". Mr Stew had been pacing 1.50 with CL and it was most definitely a baptism of fire, he still really enjoyed it despite the pressure. The race director was very, very apologetic to everybody and apologised to and thanked the pacers during the prize-giving and our very own Racoon Queen was 1st Female:D We finished it off by popping in to the hotel bar to catch the end of the marathon so all in all it turned out to be a great day in spite of the fact that it had been 6 days (yes, 6 whole days:eek:) since I’ve had a proper run

Where to now????
    More dry needling for me tomorrow and I’ll see what the physio advises, last week I nearly fell off the table when she told me I needed a break and I could tell she was thinking “Oh dear another one of those crazy runners…..”
    But this week I’ve decided to be overly cautious and not run till I am 100% better, I could head out the door now and run but in my heart I know I need more running free days.
    Berlin is in less than 7 weeks and as tempting as it is to rush back into training I’ve got to also look past Berlin and think of DCM and New York. When I ask myself what will make me most happy with regard to my running this year I realise that the only person who will be disappointed in my not reaching sub 3.30 in Berlin is me.
    I would much, much rather run Berlin and really enjoy it and finish in good shape (mentally and physically) for DCM and New York.

My mother-in-law is on her second novena;)

Total weekly miles 8.5

How's the calf recovery going? Are you bonkers yet?? ;):)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    How's the calf recovery going? Are you bonkers yet?? ;):)

Bonkers:D
    Absolutely:D

I was coping quite well with no running because I’ve managed to cross-train most days and I’m enjoying the down-time because I’m sure it must be doing my body some good.I went to see the physio again on Tuesday and she was a lot more optimistic about getting to the root of my problem and getting me back on the road in time for a good effort in Berlin, my calf strain is much better but as I’ve known along (and tried to avoid) it’s a recurring issue for me and I need to find the cause. I won’t bore you with the details but I’m back tomorrow morning for magic things that will go in my trainers (my words, not hers) and stop my knee going on a round the world trip when I run…

Time for you to get the rosary beads out, although I’m sure you have them out already in case of tornados, lost numbers and matching number belts;)

I was coping quite well, reminding myself of all the people in the world who have real problems; serious health issues, financial worries....

However…. Yesterday afternoon I was putting up the ironing board (yes, I now have time to iron so no excuses) and it decided to attack me (it wouldn’t go up and fell on me) and I had a complete melt-down, hysteria, floods of tears…. The kind that should have had people lining up to slap me into my senses a la Airplane the movie. Fortunately Mr Stew is very busy in work (I think he’s rather sensibly avoiding his non-running wife) so the only witnesses were my poor boys. They sorted me out then proceeded to offer to do the ironing, made me “Get your leg Well” cards and made me a cup of tea, all of which made me cry even more:o:o Anyways I pulled myself together because I was worried that somehow social services would get word of the crazy woman at home with her poor children anad come and take them away from me.

Today I’m mostly optimistic again, the sun was shining and the youngest Stew and I went to the beach and built sandcastles, although I did also use the time to keep popping down to stand in the water and nurse my calf:)

Best of luck on Sunday, you will be amazing. I'm relying on you to dig deep and run extra hard on my behalf:D

Hang in there O. I don't know how you are abstaining, it sounds like torture.
    The ironing board incident sounds totally normal by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

What's an 'ironing board'??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Ah Marthastew, keep strong and step away from the ironing board...no need to go doing that type of cross training...keep to the cycling and sea water therapy...

Sounds like you're a little rusty at handling the ironing board. Probably best that your kids kept you from using the hot iron! :eek: (Sweet, sweet boys!!!!)

I think we're all pretty impressed at how disciplined you are being running-wise, and hope that it will pay huge dividends in the form of fast healing and future injury avoidance. I had to laugh, however, at your little mini-meltdown. Totally get it. I broke my arm several years ago while snowboarding and I had daily meltdowns just because I couldn't do the simple things like getting dressed. This too shall pass. And rosary beads are out....Hail Mary's and Our Father's are being said.....and I may have to light a novena for you too. ;)

Thanks for your well wishes for me on Sunday. I'm all ready to go - clueless in many respects (transitions in particular), but ready. I will definitely think of you on the run and dig a little deeper in your honor. It's a VERY hilly 5k so it will be an ugly run, but I'll smile knowing you are willing me along. I'll text you. :)

Always look on the bright side of life…..

Over the past couple of weeks I have gone from low to even lower about the fact that I haven’t been able to run. I have been cross training most days; swimming, spinning or some kind of lower body class but truth be told I miss running.

I won’t bore you all with the details of my injury (well I will bore you; but I’ve nothing else to write about so I may need to move to the injured support thread) what seemed to be a calf strain wasn’t healing as such so my physio suggested insoles because my problem was clearly stemming from some biomechanical issue. I have always favoured my right leg with a problematic left leg. I’ve also spent the last two summers icing and stretching my left calf trying to keep myself on the road. I was practically limping around the expo in Berlin last year when I collected my number and similarly before Dublin 2010. It's amazing how you forget all the niggles, injuries when things are going well:)

The reason I decided to get to the root of the problem now is because I know it’s something that needs addressing. That was the theory anyway but I won’t lie, many times in the last few weeks I’ve wished I did as I did the last few summers and popped a Nurofen and kept on running:D
    I’ve been driving myself around the bend trying to think and rethink how I can get back on the road as quick as possible but last weekend I headed off camping with my boys and a big group of friends and that did me the world of good, it felt great to chill out, no training and lots of overeating and drinking. I read on Brianderunner’s log that when you step away from the world of running for a while then things don’t seem so bad, this was definitely the case for me but I also knew that I wanted to get back into running sooner rather than later.

My physio had referred me to an osteopath who is a marathon runner for a second opinion and I headed into him last Tuesday dreading what he’d have to say. One hour later I bounced out of the office with permission granted to try back running on Thursday. He had hopefully isolated the offending muscle in behind my calf and after some painful dry needling I hopped off the plinth. He was optimistic that I would be back on track before long and he was so confident I felt a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. He did tell me that I would need to be really honest with myself and if I felt even a twinge of doubt I should get back to him.
    I was very nervous heading out on Thursday morning, I ran 1.5 miles at 9.16 pace and while I didn’t feel like taking off at speed it felt ok, but I was still very much aware of my left leg. I really wanted to try a proper run so I cut the run short cos I knew the club session was an easy 45 minutes that evening and I was bringing the boys in anyway so I thought it would be a good opportunity to catch up with everyone.
    Thursday evening I stretched and double stretched and headed off with the group. Still the awareness in my left leg and it still felt tight, at no point did I feel I needed to stop but my gait was definitely off, I was most definitely limping. I tried to relax into it but even after 6 and half miles I was still aware of it.
    Friday I woke and it was still tight so I very reluctantly decided to pull the plug on the Frank Duffy, I have to say this decision crushed me. I love the 10 miler and I was really looking forward to it. I was happy enough to run it at an easy pace and this reminded me that running isn’t just about running, it’s also about all the other great things like racing and meeting up with your pals and having fun in the park:)
    The osteopath had an appointment free this morning at 9.15 so I figured it would be some sort of good running karma to be lying on the plinth being tortured just as Mr Stew and all my other running pals were starting their own ordeal. (PB for Mr Stew 73.52 mins, and yes... that beats my PB:mad:)

A reassessment of my symptoms and it turns out the kids are responsible for my woes…. Well not exactly; during all three pregnancies I suffered from sciatica on my left side, and I'm now most definitely suffering from a trapped nerve:eek:
    The good news is the osteo has suffered from a similar injury so he knows exactly how to get me back on my feet. He was so sympathetic (us marathon runners are a great lot:)) and was genuinely sad to give me the news that I’ll need three more weeks out of running so Berlin is out for me:eek::eek::eek: I was sitting in his office fighting back the tears as he said this (and also being annoyed at myself for feeling so sad, it’s not like I was sitting in a doctor’s office being given a diagnosis for something serious:o).

I was very, very relieved when he told me that I can begin to focus on Dublin and New York when get back on the road (not sure what I would have done if he said I'd be out for the rest of the year).

I’m very lucky to have run Berlin last year so all is not lost and I’m still on track to have completed the Marathon Majors when I cross the finish line in London next year.

I won’t lie, the last few weeks have been very, very tough, I realise I’m a happy person because I have such an easy life and I had to work really hard at being cheerful and optimistic while I wasn’t running. The constant over-analysing and fear of the unknown wore me down and it’s a relief to have a plan of action to sort out a problem that if I’m honest has been in the background for the past three years.

So where is the bright side in all of this?
    Mr Stew and the boys, my family and all my friends have been unbelievably sympathetic and supportive; as the Beatles once sang “All you need is love…”:D
    In the big scheme of things if a few weeks off running and one missed marathon are all I have to worry about, then I have nothing to worry about. I started running when I turned 42 because that’s the age my mum was when she passed away and I was worried about my health, I’m still very strong, fit and healthy and I’m allowed to cross train. The osteo reminded me that when I sort this problem I’ll be back running for many, many more years.
    I had a great start to the year with some super training and some very lucky wins and that will stand to me when I come back, while the year isn’t panning out as I hoped it would, I have to remind myself that that’s life, isn’t it?
    Onwards and upwards now….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Ah no O, so sorry to hear you're out of Berlin. I know from personal experience how hard it is to be told you can't run the race you've been training for and building up to. That said, your attitude to this just blows me away, you're really a "glass half full" person. I really really hope you get sorted properly and get back running & enjoying it again. I'll add my novenas to your Mother-in-laws ;) Good luck with the recovery and rehab. (And Congrats to MrStew on the 10 mile but sorry it beat your pb; as soon as this setback is over, I reckon you'll get the bragging rights back :D)

Damn, sorry to hear it :(
    (wanted to catch you fair and square ;))
    I suppose at least it sounds like you can spend the next few weeks just not thinking about running, not wondering every day if you'd be better tomorrow, and be confident that at the end of those weeks you'll be back on your feet. I foresee a lot more wins for you in the new year :)

I feel so so bad for you. You were so 'on fire' in all your races. I'm sure there is nothing I can say to make you feel better but just to let you know that I'm thinking of you. Without sounding patronizing, your attitude is amazing.

Well, this is a fine kettle of fish!! But how fortunate of you to have signed up for 3 marathons at the end of the year like you did. (By the way....what sane person signs up for 3 marathons at the end of the year like you did?? ;)) You've got it all in perspective, however, and with such a healthy attitude. I think the phrase "that which does not kill you makes you stronger" applies here. I'm betting that this "predicament" will sow seeds of amazing-ness that will stand to you when it's all said and done. Enjoy this time while on running holiday to hone your other talents....talents which may lead to new doors being opened for you - like triathlons. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Gutted for you over Berlin martha but the main things is the problem has been identified and there's light at the end of the tunnel. Get well soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Well said O and I know exactly where you are coming from. That bloody confirmation e-mail from Berlin didn't help matters either! Patience is def needed with this and you will be back stronger and appreciate it all the more.
    Good luck with the recovery

Advertisement