Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Marthastew wrote: »
    What a great schedule you have mapped out.
    Sorry I missed you after the 5k the other night - if I'd known you were running I'd have looked out for you - at least I know your plans now!

That was 2 5k races in 8 days for me and I'm finding them strangely addictive if grueling.

I know what you mean... I'm going through Cold Turkey at the moment and I could tell you at the drop of a hat where and when the next few 5K races are within an hour of Dublin:) It's just so completely different to the fact that you only get one chance with a marathon whereas with the 5K you can realistically try again next week. Multiple 5Ks do not fit in with a martahon plan though so my new mantra is "Must not race 5k":D and even as I type this I'm thinking of Donadea on July 27th.....

What are your plans at the moment? How did you get on in your last two 5Ks?

There are a few more empty rooms here at my 5k addicts anonymous treatment facility. I am doing really well and You had to go mention Donadea. And you're not the first ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

I know what you mean... I'm going through Cold Turkey at the moment and I could tell you at the drop of a hat where and when the next few 5K races are within an hour of Dublin:) It's just so completely different to the fact that you only get one chance with a marathon whereas with the 5K you can realistically try again next week. Multiple 5Ks do not fit in with a martahon plan though so my new mantra is "Must not race 5k":D and even as I type this I'm thinking of Donadea on July 27th.....

What are your plans at the moment? How did you get on in your last two 5Ks?

Main target for the autumn is Dublin Marathon and gonna run Dingle Marathon as a training run.

After running 2 marathons in the 1st half of the year but no other races for fear of injury I promised to treat myself to more races in the 2nd half.

Next up is the Fingal 10k on Sunday and I too hear the Donadea 5k calling me.

Ran both my 5ks in a gun time of 19:36! I'm chasing a sub 19.

So - might see you in the forest next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Thanks for the holler yesterday evening - though I think a certain Officer might have had something to say about the wreckless hanging out the window while driving but I appreciated it.

(I'm glad you didn't see me on the latter half of the journey as I was in bloomin bits :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

claralara wrote: »
    Thanks for the holler yesterday evening - though I think a certain Officer might have had something to say about the wreckless hanging out the window while driving but I appreciated it.

(I'm glad you didn't see me on the latter half of the journey as I was in bloomin bits :o)
    I always love a shout out when I am running so I'm happy to return the favour.
    You looked super when we saw you, the iron tablets must be doing the trick as you were going so fast you nearly missed us:) You're not going to believe this but my middle boy told me he thought you looked like Phoebe from friends:D Do you think he has been following your log??? I asked him why he thought you looked like her and he said cos you were so smiley and happy:)

The boys and I were on our way into meet Mr Stew for our session in Crusaders, a great evening was had by all. Although we (the adults anyway) were also in bits at the end, tired legs and that heat... bad combo:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

You're not going to believe this but my middle boy told me he thought you looked like Phoebe from friends:D Do you think he has been following your log??? I asked him why he thought you looked like her and he said cos you were so smiley and happy:)

I think this is what he must have meant:

:D

• Advertisement

Monday July 16th
    Rest day

I had planned a recovery run but…
    Lashing rain & kids off school= trip to Ikea for meatballs for lunch and lots of money spent on things that I don’t need (e.g. solar powered torch)
    I love the summer holidays:)

Tuesday July 17th
    AM: 30 minute spinning class
    15 min abs class
    Recovery run 6.29 miles
    PM: Club mile intervals, total miles 7.56 including warm up and warm down.

Feeling guilty after my rest day I set the alarm to get up early and go to the gym before the boys woke. My legs felt like lead at the beginning but by the end I was buzzing. The abs class was tough as I haven’t done any core work in weeks. I’m going to make an effort to up the cross-training from now on as I really feel it helps me with recovery and injury prevention.
    Recovery run of the Bay 10K route while the boys played tennis. Left calf progressing from a niggle to a worry.
    The entire Stew Family headed into the club in the evening. Mr Stew and I joined everyone for a group warm-up at the track and it was great to meet up with lots of familiar faces. A nice sunny evening meant everyone was in great form. We headed over to the park for 4 X 1 mile @7.10 pace with 60 seconds rest in-between. A tough session that we both found hard, no way we would have kept going in that heat if we weren’t with the group but we felt fantastic after and the boys really enjoyed their session, we’re all signed up now and proud fully-fledged members of Crusaders:D

Wednesday July 18th
    30 minute spinning class
    15 min abs class
    GA 9.09 miles avg pace 9.21

In spite of the fact that my left calf is still at me I really enjoyed this run, hills of Killiney in the sunshine and I listened to a really interesting Marathontalk podcast.

Thursday July 19th
    AM: 45 minute kettle bell class
    Recovery 6.77 miles @ 9.02 pace
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    PM: Intervals 5 minutes @ 6.50 pace followed by 2 minutes @ 7.30 pace X 6. Total miles including warm-up and cool down 9.86

Exhausted heading into the gym at 6.30am but again I was buzzing on the way out, I found the class tough and my arms and shoulders definitely felt it. I’m really enjoying the cross-training and before long I’ll get used to the early mornings again.
    Legs felt fine on the recovery run apart from the tight calf. Fabulous jelly-fish-free swim at full tide and my legs were good as new again.
    In the evening the boys and I headed into the club and I told them I might be late getting back to the track, bribed them with €1 each for the sweetie machine so I knew I could complete the session this time, half way through the session I was wishing I hadn’t bribed them, I would have loved the excuse to bail;) The group I was with gradually spread out into a few in front and a few behind me, it was so tough keeping going on my own but luckily on the last interval I was joined by a guy who had popped into a bush (a fellow runner, not some wierdo;)) I’m definitely pushing myself much more than I would on my own but I’ll need to rethink cross-training on days that I do a club session, I really should have been doing this session on somewhat fresher legs and when I look back on my combined milage for the day I see where I went wrong. My calf was fine throughout the run, tight after. Major foam rolling and I was ok again.

Friday July 20th
    75 minute hot yoga class
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    This yoga class was like a reset button for my body, both physically and mentally:):) Followed by another glorious dip in the 40 Foot.

After overdoing it a little yesterday I’m taking another running-free day. I’ve also made an appointment with the physio on Monday as my calf is still tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I am _never_ going to catch you in the 1000 mile challenge at this rate :)
    Are you going to do the BHAA 1500 next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I always love a shout out when I am running so I'm happy to return the favour.
    You looked super when we saw you, the iron tablets must be doing the trick as you were going so fast you nearly missed us:) You're not going to believe this but my middle boy told me he thought you looked like Phoebe from friends:D Do you think he has been following your log??? I asked him why he thought you looked like her and he said cos you were so smiley and happy:)

The boys and I were on our way into meet Mr Stew for our session in Crusaders, a great evening was had by all. Although we (the adults anyway) were also in bits at the end, tired legs and that heat... bad combo:(

Haha, ever the optimist, I'll take that as a compliment.

It was pretty hot out there on Tuesday alright - I was in teeny tiny little pieces of broken runner by the time I finished my 10 miles!

A fantastic week of training out of you as usual!

Yours faithfully
    Princess Consuela Banana-Hammock ;)

RayCun wrote: »

I recently slapped myself with a ban on races as I've been letting racing dictate my training plan so much;)
    Having said that it is only 1 mile and it is in a good cause:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I recently slapped myself with a ban on races as I've been letting racing dictate my training plan so much;)
    Having said that it is only 1 mile and it is in a good cause:)

It is just so tiring reading your exploits :) I think I burnt a few calories!
    Stay strong with the race ban....You are not alone.

• Advertisement

SaturdayJuly 21st

GA run8.33 miles avg pace 9.09

15 minuteCore work

Late night on Friday (but no wine:)) meant I was tired heading intothis run but I had no excuse not to run, the sun was shining and the boys wereoccupied at the track so off I went. It was great to have a change of scenery,across East Link, I met a cat outside a house here, the size of a largedog, I’m sure there’s no problem with mice or rats there:D into IFSC, alongsome of the Docklands 8K route then out to Sean Moore park and along the coast.After about two miles I started to enjoy it although my left calf was still nothappy.

SundayJuly 27th

LSR 20.15miles avg pace 9.11

Dip in the40 Foot

I convinced Mr Stew to join me on a day-trip to Bray for this oneso our pace was a bit all over the place because of the hilly route (very slow on the uphill, fast on the downhills),a thoroughly enjoyable run. My calf was still very tight despite a half hour offoam rolling the day before and I did think before I headed out that maybe I shouldn’tbut then I ignored that thought… A bit like the day before you go on a diet andyou pig out, I decided I’d do this run in case the physio told me I'd need to rest mycalf:(

Luckily the calf behaved itself and the miles ticked by while MrStew and I chatted away and enjoyed the wonderful scenery and the glorious day.It was quite hot but the breeze/headwind was perfect, we ran along the coast upto the start of the Greystones coastal route, we stopped for a minute to enjoythe view and looked back at Sorrento terrace in Dalkey, patting ourselves onthe back for running so far. Then we looked across to Howth and Mr Stewreminded me that I had run from there once:D. We turned around and headed backfor home, both starting to feel a little thirsty so we stopped quickly andshared a pint of orange juice. I’m adapting well to no gels/food (chocolate) onthe longer runs and maybe next run I’ll try just water. I had a great breakfastof porridge with cream, maple syrup, bananas and walnuts so it’s no wonder I wasn’thungry:) The journey back home was great, the wind was at our backs and we managedto pick it up for the last three miles. I happened to notice how many calories Ihad burned 2,403 and I remarked to Mr Stew that that seemed a lot, he remindedme that I had recently done a hard reset on my Garmin so unless I was a 140 lb.man those stats were no use to me;)

Totalmiles for the week 68.05
    A good solid week's traning that has left me feeling strong in spite of the niggly calf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Totalmiles for the week 68.05

Great mileage there. I notice you are now my nearest challenger on the 1000 mile challenge. I better not slack off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Hey Martha, Looks like the training is going really well!
    Are ye ahead of schedule by any chance given that you are doing a 20miler this far out from Berlin?
    No danger of ye peaking in mileage I hope?

Must meet up soon for an LSR in the park!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Great mileage there. I notice you are now my nearest challenger on the 1000 mile challenge. I better not slack off :D

Don't worry, your position is safe.....No chance of you slacking off. Plus I've just had 2 non running days. The most important thing is that I stay ahead of Ray:D

belcarra wrote: »
    Hey Martha, Looks like the training is going really well!
    Are ye ahead of schedule by any chance given that you are doing a 20miler this far out from Berlin?
    No danger of ye peaking in mileage I hope?

Must meet up soon for an LSR in the park!

Although I'm following P&D only really when it suits me, I am in fact sticking to the LSR schedule, my run 2 weeks ago wasn't on the plan but I had many sins to atone for. This weeks LSR is only 16miles with 12@PMP, I've a hectic week ahead so I ran that today.
    I'm delighted to see you're also pacing DCM, I'm really, really looking forward to it. My boys are also thrilled that they will finally be proud owners of one of those giant balloons that they've seen go by them for the past few years as they cheered me on the sidelines

Monday July 23rd to Sunday July 28th
    Not too much logging happening for a number of reasons….. tight calf, boys off school, visitors, Olympics starting….
    Monday I got up bright and early and went to spinning and abs and then went to CFitz and was delighted to be told that my calf was nothing major to worry about but that I had been overdoing it (I already knew this:)). An hour and a half of pure torture and advice that I listen to my body more and take more running free days. In the car on the way home I gave myself a good telling off and promised to take two non-running days. Tuesday up early again for spinning and abs and then back again for 45 minutes of Pilates. Wednesday spinning and abs again and I decided that I had had enough rest so I stupidly (hindsight is a wonderful thing;)) headed out to do the 16 miles with 12 @ PMP as I had a busy week ahead with family arriving to stay for the weekend and a party to throw on Saturday.
    16.04 miles; avg pace 8.20
    I started this run thinking I would feel like Usain Bolt after two days off but it was more a case of Paula Radcliffe;);) (in my dreams), my legs were tired and sluggish but the calf was fine. After 4 easy miles I felt better so I launched into my PMP miles, this run was just Ok, I got through it but if I’m honest it was a bit more effort than I’d have liked, I kept the pace steady at 7.50 but when my mind would wander thinking of my lists of things to get ready in the house the pace definitely dropped. I arrived in the door, got distracted and forgot to stretch (I love having the kids off school but it’s playing havoc with my training:().
    Thursday I did a very, very slow recovery run on the hills of killiney and was disgusted to find my calf very tight again:mad:, should have stretched after the run, will I never learn??

Friday a long swim in the sea and a hot yoga class had me back to normal again but then the visitors arrived so no more training for me. Up till 4.30 on Saturday night/Sunday morning so the week was going downhill…. Sunday evening I managed to escape for a run with Ultraman as he was working in the area, I introduced him to the lovely hills and the great scenery of Killiney and my calf felt great again.

Total weekly miles 30.45 miles :eek::eek::eek:

A fairly disastrous week but I've noone to blame but myself, I just need to be more strict with sticking to the plan from now on and resting more. I'll need to keep the miles low and build back up agian so that the calf behaves.... My main concern now is that Ray will overtake me in the 1,000 mile challenge;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The gap is 100 miles... but shrinking ;)

The gap is 100 miles... but shrinking ;)

I'm just in from a 20 mile run;).
    Actually, I am in fact sitting on the sofa with the boys watching the Olympics, eating crisps.... I think you're in with a good chance Ray:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'm just in from a 20 mile run;).
    Actually, I am in fact sitting on the sofa with the boys watching the Olympics, eating crisps.... I think you're in with a good chance Ray:D

Michael Phelps....Michael Phelps.....Michael Phelps.....

(he's going for 2 medals today - if he secures them, he's then the MOST decorated Olympic athlete ever!!! :D)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Michael Phelps....Michael Phelps.....Michael Phelps.....

(he's going for 2 medals today - if he secures them, he's then the MOST decorated Olympic athlete ever!!! :D)

It's soooo exciting! Just read a great quote from Larisa Latynina (spelling?)

"And I'm quite happy that there is a man in the world who can overcome my records."

I had to go buy food in the shops earlier (I'd have lasted on crisps but I felt guilty about inflicting that diet on the boys), I've returned to my post on the sofa now

Michael Phelps! Michael Phelps!

• Advertisement

It's soooo exciting! Just read a great quote from Larisa Latynina (spelling?)

"And I'm quite happy that there is a man in the world who can overcome my records."

I had to go buy food in the shops earlier (I'd have lasted on crisps but I felt guilty about inflicting that diet on the boys), I've returned to my post on the sofa now

Michael Phelps! Michael Phelps!

Larisa....Michael...
    Class begot class.
    The cream always rises to the top.

Oh no!

But at least he got silver.

Le Clos is adorable, so gracious in victory.

Oh no???? :(

That's okay. He got the silver (and a medal)...so he ties the record now. :)

Can't believe you skipped your club session for the swimming.

3k time trial then a 4x400 relay race - my team was 3rd :) - 1st night down and a podium place!

Dory Dory wrote: »
    That's okay. He got the silver (and a medal)...so he ties the record now. :)

Woo hoo! What a result! Gold Medal and most medals ever!

USA... USA.... USA

Can't believe you skipped your club session for the swimming.

3k time trial then a 4x400 relay race - my team was 3rd :) - 1st night down and a podium place!

Darn it! I knew I'd miss a great evening at training. Well done you, impressive start:) Are you going to join? I'll be down Thursday come hell or high water (with this weather there might be high water;))

I had fully planned to make it in tonight but Mr Stew was stuck in work and the boys said they wanted to stay home to watch the Olympics so I was outnumbered:( Although I have to admit I secretly wanted to stay and watch the swimming.
    When Phelps was just about to finish the relay and get Gold the 11 year old turned to me and said "is this happening right now? Is it live?" I'm glad we stayed home to watch history in the making:D

Reckon I'll join alright. Was ready to sign up straight away to be honest.
    Will try and make Thursday evening although I'm supposed to be going to a work event straight after work so we'll see.

Monday July 29th to Sunday August 4th
    Another busy week with a lot going on but not much running:(
    With my calf still tight and now my hip giving me grief I decided to lower my miles and up the cross-training again this week. Lots of shorter easy paced runs and only one Medium run of 15.02 miles as I was hoping I would feel miraculously recovered for the Bay 10K and somehow pull a PB out of a magic bag (more on that later). I’m not hugely concerned with my leg but I have to admit it is beginning to annoy me now. The exact same niggle has plagued me every Summer and it usually settles down in September, I put it down to erratic training and not enough proper recovery and a lack of cross-training. I've booked in for dry Needling:eek: tomorrow so hopefully that will knock it on the head.

On the plus side I’m having a great time hanging out with the kids and it won’t be long before they’re too old to hang out with their mum so I’m making the most of school holidays, we are (like most people) glued to the TV and as we jumped around the living-room last night when Bolt won the 100M (never any doubt in my mind, although I would say that wouldn’t I?) I was thinking how the boys will remember this Summer every four years when the Olympics are on for the rest of their lives.

Lots of sea swims, lots of body pump, lower body and spinning classes so hopefully this will keep my fitness up somewhat.
    Total weekly miles 30.83:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Monday August
    DLR BAY 10K

I had offered to collect Racheljev’s number for her so she came to our house as it’s less than a half mile to the start; it was great to have her company (not to mention the box of chocs she brought... nom, nom:))and we gave each other a run for our money with our pre-race nervous chit-chat.

We headed down to the Start nice and early and met lots of friends and a few commented on the fact that I had an unusual bib colour and number; white, number 3 (would it bring me luck today?)… the reason for my bib was I had accidentally clicked on the sub 35 time for projected finish (and no, I did not do it in purpose, I’m optimistic, not delusional:D) I emailed DLR beforehand and they said they’d change it no problem for me…..

Turns out the start corral marshals were extremely diligent and when I asked could I drop back they told me “No” I explained that there was no way I’d run sub 35 and even started to tell them about my niggly calf… I tried the guy who was in charge of the front pen and he told me to pop in anyway and go for it:D I was scarleh:rolleyes:, morto:rolleyes: as I was standing there but I stayed right at the back and by the time we started Mr Stew and the second pen was up beside me. The gun went off and away we went, lots of people passed me but things evened out very quickly and I was glad to feel the pace as not too bad (no fast running over the last two weeks had me very nervous going into the race). I began tp gradually pass a few and all was going well at this stage. 1st mile was 6.38 and it didn't feel too bad at all.
    My dream goal was to PB (42.42), my not-so-realistic goal was to stay ahead of Mr Stew (but he has finally started listening to my training suggestions and is in great shape) and my likely goal was to treat it as a much-needed fast-training run and come in under 45 minutes. Because of the wrong pen mix up I hadn’t looked at the settings I had on my Garmin and I was disgusted to see only average pace and distance, but it was beeping after each mile with lap pace. After that I stopped looking at the Garmin and ran as fast as I could while trying not to aggravate my leg which wasn’t actually feeling too bad. Just before 5K a fellow Crusaders runner passed me (although I haven’t got a bib yet so I was in my trusty black) as the hills were really starting to hurt and I tucked in behind him for a while I wanted to tell him the hills would soon be over and to push on but I honestly couldn’t talk at that stage. Then another friend caught me and I managed to stay with him for a while but on he pushed at 8K. My pace was gradually slowing and I was now worried that I wouldn't even achieve my sub 45:eek:

I didn’t enjoy this run at all; I think when you’re racing and you have even the slightest doubt about your ability and in particular a physical doubt then it really is tough going. I kept telling myself to relax but my mind would tell me my leg was hurting so I should stop:( I didn't stop and although my leg was annoying me it never felt bad enough to stop so I was at least glad I managed to keep the Central Governer sort of in control.

The one really nice thing about the race was lots and lots of local support and lots of friends and family to cheer us on, and it was a super day for running (apart from the wind in my face for the last 1 K).
    I passed only two people in the last 2K, one was throwing up and the other had stopped:D But on the last stretch up to the finish I pulled it out of the bag and overtook two guys, chip time 44.11, finished 171 out of I’m not sure how many finishers and a negative split (I think everyone had one of those though:)) So I suppose it wasn’t that bad after all but I can no longer say that number 3 is my lucky number (although maybe things could have gone a lot worse and it is indeed lucky).
    The queues for yogurts, water etc were way too long so we headed to Teddys with Racheljev (fantastic run and a course record for her:D)and a few other pals for some protein replacement in the form of 99s:)

I was quite genuinely thrilled for Mr Stew (43.19), he’s been training really hard recently and I was even more happy for him when he reminded me he hadn’t bettered my 10K PB:D

However, I won’t be booking any 10K races for him in the very near future though;)

Advertisement