Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Sorry to hear Berlin is out for you :(

The main thing is you can simply focus on healing for the moment without pressurising yourself into being ready in X weeks time. I had 10 weeks off with injury 18 months ago and thought it was the end of the world and had to give up on the Stockholm Marathon so I can kinda relate.

Enjoy the time off doing all the other stuff and when you're feeling bad remind yourself that by not running it means you'll be stronger when you do start running again. (Whatever you do don't get too addicted to bike and/or swim or you might turn into one of those tri types :pac:).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck with the recovery O...at lease you can get "fixed up" and not be worrying in the back of your mind of when this injury is going to come knocking. As you said yourself its being rumbling for 3 yrs but it picked a bummer of a time to decided it wanted to be fixed for once and for all.

Your positive attitude is fantastic. Keep the spirits up and before you know it you'll be back on the road!!

Congrat on the PB Mr Stew, enjoy it for now casue when Mrs Stew is back it'll be gone:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Really sorry to read you are out of action for Berlin, I can only imagine how gutted you are. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery, and getting the injury cleared up once and for all. Keep the chin up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Thanks so much for all the words of encouragement, very much appreciated
    racheljev wrote: »
    Ah no O, so sorry to hear you're out of Berlin. I know from personal experience how hard it is to be told you can't run the race you've been training for and building up to. That said, your attitude to this just blows me away, you're really a "glass half full" person. I really really hope you get sorted properly and get back running & enjoying it again. I'll add my novenas to your Mother-in-laws ;) Good luck with the recovery and rehab. (And Congrats to MrStew on the 10 mile but sorry it beat your pb; as soon as this setback is over, I reckon you'll get the bragging rights back :D)

I hope you are on the mend Rach, kids back to school this week so you'll be able to ease back into it and get some well-deserved time to yourself. I'm sure you'll be an emotional wreck with Junior off to "Big School", good luck
    RayCun wrote: »
    Damn, sorry to hear it :(
    (wanted to catch you fair and square ;))
    I suppose at least it sounds like you can spend the next few weeks just not thinking about running, not wondering every day if you'd be better tomorrow, and be confident that at the end of those weeks you'll be back on your feet. I foresee a lot more wins for you in the new year :)

All is fair in logging and working up the miles in the 1,000 mile challenge;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Well, this is a fine kettle of fish!! But how fortunate of you to have signed up for 3 marathons at the end of the year like you did. (By the way....what sane person signs up for 3 marathons at the end of the year like you did?? ;)) You've got it all in perspective, however, and with such a healthy attitude. I think the phrase "that which does not kill you makes you stronger" applies here. I'm betting that this "predicament" will sow seeds of amazing-ness that will stand to you when it's all said and done. Enjoy this time while on running holiday to hone your other talents....talents which may lead to new doors being opened for you - like triathlons. :D

I've tried triathlon and if I could swim well I'd love it, I was hoping you could set up "The DD swimming Camp" next summer and we could come stay with you? I'll bring the Guiness Bread
    neilc wrote: »
    Gutted for you over Berlin martha but the main things is the problem has been identified and there's light at the end of the tunnel. Get well soon.
    thanks Neil, hope the Mrs's running is still going well. I'll definitely manage a few beers on your behalf in The Oscar Wilde:)
    Well said O and I know exactly where you are coming from. That bloody confirmation e-mail from Berlin didn't help matters either! Patience is def needed with this and you will be back stronger and appreciate it all the more.
    Good luck with the recovery

Did you book flights? I need a cheer-leading partner?
    Sorry to hear Berlin is out for you :(

The main thing is you can simply focus on healing for the moment without pressurising yourself into being ready in X weeks time. I had 10 weeks off with injury 18 months ago and thought it was the end of the world and had to give up on the Stockholm Marathon so I can kinda relate.

Enjoy the time off doing all the other stuff and when you're feeling bad remind yourself that by not running it means you'll be stronger when you do start running again. (Whatever you do don't get too addicted to bike and/or swim or you might turn into one of those tri types :pac:).

That has really cheered me up:) You've been going from strength to strength over the last year, proof that it is possible to come back from injury better than ever. Very best of luck in Dingle on the training;) run
    Younganne wrote: »
    Best of Luck with the recovery O...at lease you can get "fixed up" and not be worrying in the back of your mind of when this injury is going to come knocking. As you said yourself its being rumbling for 3 yrs but it picked a bummer of a time to decided it wanted to be fixed for once and for all.

Your positive attitude is fantastic. Keep the spirits up and before you know it you'll be back on the road!!

Congrat on the PB Mr Stew, enjoy it for now casue when Mrs Stew is back it'll be gone:D

I hope you are feeling better Anne, stay positive and you'll be back to full strength before you know it, Rachel has started a novena for us
    RubyK wrote: »
    Really sorry to read you are out of action for Berlin, I can only imagine how gutted you are. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery, and getting the injury cleared up once and for all. Keep the chin up ;)

Thanks RK, this will all be a distant memory in April when we are knocking back post-race drinks in London

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Marthastew wrote: »

I've tried triathlon and if I could swim well I'd love it, I was hoping you could set up "The DD swimming Camp" next summer and we could come stay with you? I'll bring the Guiness Bread

Swim Camp will be open from mid-April until mid-October next year...three bedrooms with their own bathrooms just collecting dust......hiking, kayaking, running, cycling, horseback riding, and tubing practically in our backyard...and DC just 2 hours away..... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Swim Camp will be open from mid-April until mid-October next year...three bedrooms with their own bathrooms just collecting dust......hiking, kayaking, running, cycling, horseback riding, and tubing practically in our backyard...and DC just 2 hours away..... ;)

Wow, are you taking bookings from everyone???:D

Younganne wrote: »
    Wow, are you taking bookings from everyone???:D

All I require is a smile and positive attitude and you qualify!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

No two ways about it MS, that's ****e news..... BUT, Officer Dig Dig and the two Garda Reserves, CL and Mr Stew will make sure that Berlin will still be a blast!

Hey there!! I need a Marthastew fix!! How are you doing?? How's the calf and the cross training going?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hey there!! I need a Marthastew fix!! How are you doing?? How's the calf and the cross training going?? :)

+1

Holla back yo!!

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    +1

Holla back yo!!

Thanks guys... I am alive and recovering very well. I would be getting stressed about my injury if I weren't so busy with all the little Stews and the return to school.

Keep up the hard work you two... Not long to go and you're both all set for fantastic results:D

Not long to go

3 weeks, 4 days, 10 hours, 30 minutes and 47 seconds...!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Thanks guys... I am alive and recovering very well. I would be getting stressed about my injury if I weren't so busy with all the little Stews and the return to school.

Keep up the hard work you two... Not long to go and you're both all set for fantastic results:D

Thank god for the little Stews!! :)
    claralara wrote: »
    3 weeks, 4 days, 10 hours, 30 minutes and 47 seconds...!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Puh-leeze! A walk in the park for little miss Irish newspaper centerfold! ;)

UPDATE
    After my trip to the osteo that ended in “No Berlin” I headed back to see him a few days later for clarification and more advice. I pretty much didn’t take in anything he said after he advised me to forget about Berlin and I still didn’t feel completely on top of my injury and needed to be sure I was headed in the right direction. I left feeling much better and with a clear picture of what I needed to do. If you are bored by OPIs (other people’s injuries) please don’t read the next paragraph:) let’s face it, most of us have no interest in OPIs unless we ourselves are inflicted with the same injury.
    I’m suffering from Piriformis syndrome so with rest and lots of strength work and even more stretching I will be back on the road. I’ve managed to get away with it over the last few years but my trapped nerve has finally said “Enough!!” From now on I will be referring to the nerve as Sleeping Beauty and I’m doing everything in my power to have her back to full working order. I’m following the osteo’s advice to the letter and I’m improving by the day. Of course I have read and read every bit of advice known to man on this injury so I’m currently considering setting up my own practice;)
    As I said before, I’m lucky enough to be allowed to cross-train so I’m hoping to keep my fitness up as much as possible. I do at least one class a day; aqua fit, body sculpt or lower body workouts. I’m also having fun with extra weights for my upper body conditioning so I’m hoping to win a few arm-wrestling matches in the pub in Berlin:D Speaking of weight… that is the one area I’m finding tough, I used to apply the 80%/20% rule; eat what I like 80% of the time and eat healthy 20% of the time, alas that is no longer possible and I’ve had to switch that one around since I’m not burning any calories from running. Boo Hiss is what I say to that version of the 80/20 rule:mad:
    The weather at the moment is perfect for running (which I can’t do) AND swimming in the sea, which I can do:D:D When I find my spirits dropping I jump on my bike and head down to the sea and jump in to the wonderful almost warm water. I was chatting to one of the regulars this morning and he was telling me about one of the other regulars who had just turned 93 and “he doesn’t look a day over 80”;) So with any luck I’ve almost 50 years of swimming in the “snot green sea” of the 40 Foot, I’m not sure whether that is a good or a bad thing?
    I’m also doing one Pilates and one yoga class a week so I know I’m doing everything in my power to return to running bigger and better than ever (well, not bigger I hope;))
    In other news Mr Stew is in fantastic shape for Berlin and luckily for him he doesn’t get stressed so our house is calm. The junior Stews are all back to school and we are lucky enough to have added to our brood, we have a Spanish student staying with us till December and he is going to the same school as my oldest. He is absolutely adorable and he gets on really well with my boys. His English is really good, although his accent is like Manuel from “Fawlty Towers”. Like a lot of Spanish he is not at all tall, he says he feels like he is in “a house of Giants”, he’s 12 years old and my 9 year old is as tall as him:)

I won’t lie, there are times when I think I will lose the plot if I don’t get out for a run soon and I have to spend a lot of the time chasing away doubt after doubt about my running future but for the most part I’m trying to remain positive and happy.... as the saying goes “This too shall pass”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

You have my sympathies, piriformis syndrome is truely a pain in the arse, hip, hamstring etc :( For such a small muscle, it's a bloody painful annoying yoke.

As you said yourself, stretch, stretch and stretch again. I found hot baths also gave some relief, so you could try that too. Chin up, in a few weeks you'll be back out there on the roads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

A depressing read MS, sorry to hear. You're not alone being out of action on here anyway.

Check out these threads if you havent already, you might get something new from them;

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=822230&page=0

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=2666026

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ah O that sucks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Really sorry to hear that Marthastew. I don't know anything about the injury, but is it worsened by weight-bearing exercise? Would aqua-jogging be a possibility to contribute towards maintaining your running fitness, while you are on the mend/strengthening regime?

Does that 93 year old regular who doesn't look a day over 80 take his dips in the buff? Is he one of those? Hubba hubba.... ;)

You may not be running, but good god look at what you ARE doing! You must have abs of steel and legs that rival Tina Turner's! And now you are working on your guns!! (Talk about guns, did you see Michelle Obama last night?? OMG...beautiful woman with a designer who knows how to show off her arms!) But back to you....you're doing a world of work without running. I will be interested to see how that translates once you start running. Bet you will be better than ever!!!! :) Enjoy this time of diversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Just catching up. Sorry to hear about Berlin. I missed two marathons- including one mahor goal - so I know how you feel. Took me best part of a year to get back. Weight gain has been one of the biggest problems ( along with and caused by a c**p attitude :o ) so keep the cross training, and more than anything stay positive. Others have said it but it bears repeating: PF more than other injuries requires patience.

Good luck and keep the updates coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I've had PF for the guts of 9mths and I've managed to keep ticking over by doing the usual stretching, rolling, icing and walking around barefoot.
    Recently I've started coming out the other end (touch wood) and I've done 2 things 1) Moved to the Inov-8 x-233 and 255, they're low profile 6mm and 9mm and have what they call 'dynamic fascia band support' on sole 2) Thinking about how to strengthen the area I bought a pair of light flip-flops and wear those as much as possible, they encourage you to keep gripping your toes when you walk and you engage the toes and foot more - could be worth a try.
    Best of luck and a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Sorry to hear about missing Berlin, hope you have a good recovery and back on the road soon.

Cant give any advice on the recovery, however, when you feel like losing the plot, the best thing to do is bake cakes and brownies. We'll be around to eat up the evidence :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

MS.... Officer dig dig's truncheon is better for piriformis than the stick or the foam roller, I'm just saying like ;)

Please note, the above comment is tongue in cheek, it should not be considered medical advice or an invitation to CL and Mr Stew to throw Berlin hotel keys in a bowl ;)

The difference between a mountain and a molehill is your perspective.*

You're not getting a 'poor you' from me supermodel - you keep doing what you're doing; with your PMA, you'll back in action and better than ever in no time. Ok so you're not going to be running (a marathon...) in Berlin but you'll be the life and soul of the party. And you'll be back on those running legs in plenty of time for our photo shoot with Hellooooo. I think a few crisp and colourful autumnal shots will make for great viewing. :)

*all of your positivity and dedication and hard work and baking talents ;) and cross training efforts etc mean that this will be no bigger than the littlest of mole hills in the long run..

Wednesday 12th September:D

Sea-Swim approx. 600M
    60 minute Hot yoga class

For the last three weeks I have literally been working my ass off…. or maybe that should be working on a new ass? …. Well, either way, my visit to the osteo today went really well. He told me my ass was in great shape (apologies for all the bad-ass:) jokes)……….
    I’m back to full strength and mobility so I have been given the all clear to start back running on Monday. I’m currently in the middle of an intensive week of yoga and I’m really beginning to see the benefits.
    It will be very slow to start and I’ve to keep up all the stretching and strengthening to make sure I don’t end up off the road again. The really good news is that the osteo also told me that I can possibly do Berlin as a training run:D At the moment I’m taking it one day at a time and I’ll wait till I land in Berlin before I assess whether I’m up to the marathon. I have to admit I really like the idea of running it nice and easy, taking photos and just getting my running mojo back (mojo is not a word I use normally but the Klown appears to have have brought it back into fashion:rolleyes:).

I’m under no illusions… It will be tough starting back and there’s always a chance that things may not go as well as I would like but for now I’m staying positive and extremely hopeful.

It will come as no surprise to those that know me that I have been hanging onto the hope of running Berlin over the past few weeks and while I’ve been persevering with the endless strength work and stretching I have also been picturing myself running through the Brandenburg Gate with a huge smile on my face, hope springs eternal:D

I swear, you and your awesome ass will be back better and faster than ever. :D In the end, I bet this break does you more good than anything!!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Great to hear O, hopefully you will be able to toe the line and enjoy your run around. I'm not heading over myself so there will be more beer for you :). Note to self, must cancel hotel accommodation :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Great to see that you will be with us in Berlin in some shape or form..

Your attitude about the whole thing is an insparation to those of us who have been a bit moany about our injuries (looks in mirror :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I’m back to full strength and mobility so I have been given the all clear to start back running on Monday. I’m currently in the middle of an intensive week of yoga and I’m really beginning to see the benefits.
    It will be very slow to start and I’ve to keep up all the stretching and strengthening to make sure I don’t end up off the road again. The really good news is that the osteo also told me that I can possibly do Berlin as a training run:D At the moment I’m taking it one day at a time and I’ll wait till I land in Berlin before I assess whether I’m up to the marathon. I have to admit I really like the idea of running it nice and easy, taking photos and just getting my running mojo back (mojo is not a word I use normally but the Klown appears to have have brought it back into fashion:rolleyes:).

I’m under no illusions… It will be tough starting back and there’s always a chance that things may not go as well as I would like but for now I’m staying positive and extremely hopeful.

It will come as no surprise to those that know me that I have been hanging onto the hope of running Berlin over the past few weeks and while I’ve been persevering with the endless strength work and stretching I have also been picturing myself running through the Brandenburg Gate with a huge smile on my face, hope springs eternal:D

O, I was out for a similar period to you with illness after Cork in June. I took it nice and handy the first couple of weeks back before building up to normal mileage. I know you are much closer to your goal race in Berlin but best taking it easy for the few weeks left and leaving yourself with a chance of running rather than doing too much in what is really meant to be taper and possibly getting injured. You'll know how you are fixed on the day by mile 20 so hopefully you will be in a position to effortlessly glide on towards the finish line and enjoy it regardless. That would make a great training run for Dublin/NYC!:)

• Advertisement

You are a dream patient. There are a lot of people around here that could learn a lot from your discipline. Well done you - absolutely and utterly delighted that you're hoping to line up in Berlin. Fingers and toes crossed for the next two weeks. :)

Hopefully see you tomorrow. And send my regards to Mr Stew and my best wishes that he has a more pleasant pacing experience than his baptism of fire!

P.s. dying to see this ass... didn't think it could get much better but I may be taking your physio exercises home with me! ;):D

Advertisement