Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Silver_Tiger

hi guys , since the points for med jumped up so much this year, do ye expect it to level out next year? go up by a 2 or 3 point increase? or a 9pointer? i expect the huge jumps were as a result of the extra points for maths !:confused::confused::confused:

I really hope they don't rise much more! Fingers crossed! Yet knowing my luck.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 nomnomnomnom

nuig jumped 9points

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

I am never doing the HPAT again, I dont think my body could take it...... Filthy thing so it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

hi there! just wondering if anyone is preparing for the hpat yet? i have purchaced the med##### course and have just been doing the sample questions! has anyone done practice exam etc. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

hi guys , since the points for med jumped up so much this year, do ye expect it to level out next year? go up by a 2 or 3 point increase? or a 9pointer? i expect the huge jumps were as a result of the extra points for maths !:confused::confused::confused:

These are the points for this years first rounds compared to last years final round:

UCD: 735 2011, 745 2012 - 10 point rise
    NUIG: 728* 2011, 737 2012 - 9 point rise
    RCSI: 732 2011, 741 2012 - 9 point rise
    TCD: 739 2011, 746* 2012 - 7 point rise
    UCC: 733* 2011, 738* 2012 - 5 point rise

By the time the final rounds come out for this year you might (just guessing here!) see another drop of 1-2 points per college. This would indicate that the majority of the rise this year (4-5 points I'd guess) are due to the bonus points, meaning that the scores are finally starting to level off. Trinity went up 7 points, so if you consider even 4 of these due to maths, a possible drop of 1 for the second round, then there's really only a rise of 2 from last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kayleigh01

Anyone else repeating?

I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN DO THIS AGAIN, GUYS.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RabbitHearted

Ok so prepare for a possibly longwinded post. I am really considering applying for medicine next year but I don't know if I'll be able to get the points. After calculating my summer exams I got 515 but we only sat an ordinary French paper and an ordinary chemistry paper and i'd plan on doing both at honours next year, but at the same time I know some of the teachers marked it easy so I don't know what I can expect. If I put in the work I could probably improve on 515 because to be honest Irish is the only subject I really worked on this year and for every other subject I only studied the week before the exams.. and my other problem is the HPAT. I'm baffled about the points in relation to it and the actual leaving cert. And aptitude tests aren't exactly a strong point so I'm probably going to have to work on that.
    If it makes any difference or is helpful in any way I'll put a list of the subjects I'm doing here as well. Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated and thank you and we done if you read through that :p
    Subjects;
    Engligh
    Irish
    Maths
    Religion
    Chemistry
    Biology
    French
    (I plan to do all honours for now, it probably won't change but would that make much difference?)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

If you put in the work there's no reason why you couldn't get into the 550+ points range you're well on your way to high points judging from your fifth year result! As regards the HPAT I would really recommend the Med**try package it particularly helped me with section 3 I really would have been clueless without it! I spent around an hour most days doing HPAT preparation and I usually did a practice exam at the weekend. As regards your LC subjects they look fine but bear in mind doing a seventh higher level subject does take a bit more work and if you find the workload too great( remember you will also have to prepare for the HPAT until February) I would recommend dropping down to ordinary in one if you need to. Some people will tell you that you need 7 higher level subjects to have a back up in case one subject doesn't go your way on the day. I suppose this does seem reasonable but personally I repeated this year and dropped down to 6 and found I had quite a bit more time to distribute to my remaining subjects. Best of luck!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Inspired171

Okay I have been torturing my family, bf, etc. with my dilemma but you guys are going through the same thing so maybe you have some advice :)

Aiming for medicine, my sister is in 3rd med in UCD. I just did the leaving (for the first time), got 580 points, including the bonus maths points. Got 169 in the HPAT, 67th percentile. This leaves me with 725 in total, 12 points off gtown.

My options are:
    1. to repeat both leaving and hpat, in the hope that I can push my 4 a2s to a1s, and increase my hpat score by 15+.
    2. To take my 6th choice (Biomed in UCD) and repeat the HPAT, hoping to God I can come up by, like, 20 points.
    3. To take a year out and just concentrate on HPAT prep.

Has anyone been/ is anyone in a similar situation? If I was nowhere near getting it, I would just take my other choice and forget medicine. It's because I'm so near that I feel like I should keep trying.
    Is it possible to go up by alot of points in the 2nd HPAT attempt?
    Is there any point repeating for 9 measly points in the LC?
    Should I take Biomed to heck?! :confused:

Any suggestions/advice/testimonials/ similar stories would be so so much appreciated!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Orange juice

kayleigh01 wrote: »
    Anyone else repeating?

I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN DO THIS AGAIN, GUYS.

I'm repeating my HPAT!! No point repeating my LC!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Hello am in a very similar predicament to yourself. Am 10 points off Galway :( I got offered Pharmacy in Trinity. To be honest I don't know what to do either... I heard a couple of pages back think it was pg 2 that you can take biomed as a premed year but I don't think it's true.
    First question are you sure you really want medicine or are you doing it because of your sister?

Secondly do you really want to put yourself through another year of the Leaving?

And Finally if you do biomed would you be able to pay the fees if you switch to med?

Personally I would take the year out to study for the HPAT. That 's what I think I'm going to do . Hope this helped :)

Hello am in a very similar predicament to yourself. Am 10 points off Galway :( I got offered Pharmacy in Trinity. To be honest I don't know what to do either... I heard a couple of pages back think it was pg 2 that you can take biomed as a premed year but I don't think it's true.
    First question are you sure you really want medicine or are you doing it because of your sister?

Secondly do you really want to put yourself through another year of the Leaving?

And Finally if you do biomed would you be able to pay the fees if you switch to med?

Personally I would take the year out to study for the HPAT. That 's what I think I'm going to do . Hope this helped :)

Hard luck, it really is a horrible place to be :(
    To answer your questions, yes I want to do Med because it's all I have ever wanted to do! The fact that my sister is in it just furthers my ambition to join her, it's a fantastic career, who wouldn't want it!
    No, I do not want to do the LC again, it will take huge stamina to repeat it. Unfortunately, I may not have a choice.
    And finally, fees aren't a problem at the mo, whatever way I can get in I will!
    Would you not consider taking pharmacy aswell as repeating the hpat? :)

To answer your questions, yes I want to do Med because it's all I have ever wanted to do! The fact that my sister is in it just furthers my ambition to join her, it's a fantastic career, who wouldn't want it!
    No, I do not want to do the LC again, it will take huge stamina to repeat it. Unfortunately, I may not have a choice.

Well to be honest I had pharmacy no. 6 after the 5 med courses. I had dentistry no. 7 . If I got dentistry I would have taken it but I just made the wrong decision on the 31st of June. I can't afford to pay the fees if I change to medicine from pharmacy or anything else so its just tough luck.

Did you do any prep courses for the HPAT ?

Well to be honest I had pharmacy no. 6 after the 5 med courses. I had dentistry no. 7 . If I got dentistry I would have taken it but I just made the wrong decision on the 31st of June. I can't afford to pay the fees if I change to medicine from pharmacy or anything else so its just tough luck.

Did you do any prep courses for the HPAT ?

Aw I get you :( Ya i did, ********? Not sure if you're allowed mention it on here! Gonna do it again for this year I reckon! You?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Aw I get you :( Ya i did, ********? Not sure if you're allowed mention it on here! Gonna do it again for this year I reckon! You?

No, you're not allowed and any more posts about it will be deleted.

Same on both accounts ... If your a total optimist (which I'm not) at least we 'll get the return students discount :p

Thought the HPAT would get cancelled for this year after all the previous controversy .. Anyone want to start a petition ????

• Registered Users Posts: 17 standup

hey i'm going into leaving cert this year and i want to know where is the best place to do a hpat course in galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 banana4

Word of advice to anyone interested in Medicine for next year - make sure you apply to Queens In Belfast through UCAS. I did just encase I didn't get Dublin and I'm so happy I did!

You'll need to draw up a personal statement, submit your JC results (you'll need 8/9 A's at least) and take the UKCAT (HPAT equivalent although not weighed as strongly as the HPAT). If you score high enough you'll be invited for interview, score well in them and you get a conditional offer and if you meet the conditions (5A1's including Chemistry and Biology) you'll get Med! Sounds a lot more difficult but I got into Medicine this way as I only got an average HPAT so hopefully some of you will too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 standup

banana4 wrote: »
    Word of advice to anyone interested in Medicine for next year - make sure you apply to Queens In Belfast through UCAS. I did just encase I didn't get Dublin and I'm so happy I did!

You'll need to draw up a personal statement, submit your JC results (you'll need 8/9 A's at least) and take the UKCAT (HPAT equivalent although not weighed as strongly as the HPAT). If you score high enough you'll be invited for interview, score well in them and you get a conditional offer and if you meet the conditions (5A1's including Chemistry and Biology) you'll get Med! Sounds a lot more difficult but I got into Medicine this way as I only got an average HPAT so hopefully some of you will too:)

what did you get in your leaving cert?
    what's the minimum they accept

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I just came here to post about the UKCAT! I'm going to be sitting it in September/October but haven't started practicing for it at all.

Is it too late to do well enough to be in contention with other UK candidates? I've been focusing more on the HPAT and I see that they're aren't as similar as I had believed. Also, how did you practice for it?

I feel like I'm going blind into this, so any help would be appreciated. :)

• Advertisement

0mega wrote: »
    I just came here to post about the UKCAT! I'm going to be sitting it in September/October but haven't started practicing for it at all.

Is it too late to do well enough to be in contention with other UK candidates? I've been focusing more on the HPAT and I see that they're aren't as similar as I had believed. Also, how did you practice for it?

I feel like I'm going blind into this, so any help would be appreciated. :)

Don't worry, I pretty much turned up on the day and sat it so you'll be fine :) I only did it as a back up to med in Ireland. I know that there are some books you can buy to prepare from book stores and on the internet and there are also practice tests you can download. Obviously, the more prepared you feel the more confident you will be going into the exam so I'd advise you to make use of these tools and just be familiar with doing the test on the computer and with the exam structure in general. But I have to admit that I started preparing a few weeks beforehand and it went fine:)

Once you get over 600 which is the average mark (900 being the max) this is an acceptable score. In general, your UKCAT score will determine whether or not you get an interview, but details on how strongly each university weighs the UKCAT can be found on the UCAS website. I'd advise you to do the UKCAT in September or as early as possible so you can begin focusing on your personal statement which is very important.

Any other questions feel free to ask but I would DEFINITELY recommend applying through UCAS as long as you are willing to put in the work. The HPAT is ridiculous as it is weighed to strongly and anything could go wrong on the day!

Best of luck with everything :)

standup wrote: »
    what did you get in your leaving cert?
    what's the minimum they accept

5A1s and an A2!

Requirements can be found on the UCAS Website but for Belfast you need a very good JC ( at least 8/9 A's including an A in science) and at least 5A1's including Biology and Chemistry.

Don't worry, I pretty much turned up on the day and sat it so you'll be fine :) I only did it as a back up to med in Ireland. I know that there are some books you can buy to prepare from book stores and on the internet and there are also practice tests you can download. Obviously, the more prepared you feel the more confident you will be going into the exam so I'd advise you to make use of these tools and just be familiar with doing the test on the computer and with the exam structure in general. But I have to admit that I started preparing a few weeks beforehand and it went fine:)

Once you get over 600 which is the average mark (900 being the max) this is an acceptable score. In general, your UKCAT score will determine whether or not you get an interview, but details on how strongly each university weighs the UKCAT can be found on the UCAS website. I'd advise you to do the UKCAT in September or as early as possible so you can begin focusing on your personal statement which is very important.

Any other questions feel free to ask but I would DEFINITELY recommend applying through UCAS as long as you are willing to put in the work. The HPAT is ridiculous as it is weighed to strongly and anything could go wrong on the day!

Best of luck with everything :)

You hadn't done much prep and you still got in? Do you mind me asking what your score was? :)

Thanks for the advice!

You hadn't done much prep and you still got in? Do you mind me asking what your score was? :)

Thanks for the advice!

It was something like 620 i think! Most people get between 500 and 700. But for a higher score I would definitely recommend putting in the work since the UKCAT can be pretty important for getting interviews. :)

Also make sure you research how each University selects applicants for interview as it is pretty difficult to know which ones to apply to!

I found this like very helpful in seeing how each University weighed the UKCAT. :)http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT

It was something like 620 i think! Most people get between 500 and 700. But for a higher score I would definitely recommend putting in the work since the UKCAT can be pretty important for getting interviews. :)

Also make sure you research how each University selects applicants for interview as it is pretty difficult to know which ones to apply to!

I found this like very helpful in seeing how each University weighed the UKCAT. :)http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT

Thanks! So, for Queens you have to be in the top 500 candidates rather than getting a certain score?

Also, what's the 'personal statement' about? :)

Thanks! So, for Queens you have to be in the top 500 candidates rather than getting a certain score?

Also, what's the 'personal statement' about? :)

No probs! They give points to potential applicants based on their JC results and on their UKCAT score. For the JC results they award 4 marks for each A, two for a B etc. Your UKCAT is awarded a certain amount of points out of 6 depending on which band you fall under. The top 500 candidates are then invited for interview. So you can see that for Queens in particular having a good JC is way more important than having a good UKCAT!

It's basically like an essay you have to write about yourself telling the University how you would be suitable for the course you are applying to! There's some great guidelines on the UCAS website .. http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/applying/howtoapply/personalstatement/
    It takes into account work experience, part time jobs, extra curricular activities and school responsibilities but to name a few!

It is so much more work than the CAO but I would seriously recommend it!:)

No probs! They give points to potential applicants based on their JC results and on their UKCAT score. For the JC results they award 4 marks for each A, two for a B etc. Your UKCAT is awarded a certain amount of points out of 6 depending on which band you fall under. The top 500 candidates are then invited for interview. So you can see that for Queens in particular having a good JC is way more important than having a good UKCAT!

It's basically like an essay you have to write about yourself telling the University how you would be suitable for the course you are applying to! There's some great guidelines on the UCAS website .. http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/applying/howtoapply/personalstatement/
    It takes into account work experience, part time jobs, extra curricular activities and school responsibilities but to name a few!

It is so much more work than the CAO but I would seriously recommend it!:)

Oh wow! So the JC was important after all.. that's 40 odd points under my belt already, whew.. I'm shocked that the UKCAT is only worth 6 points, that's certainly some stress alleviated!

I'm a bit worried about the statement now though, as I have very little work experience and I've never had a part time job! Perhaps it's time to start looking about one for the Halloween break..

Thanks so much for all your help! Really appreciated. :D

Oh wow! So the JC was important after all.. that's 40 odd points under my belt already, whew.. I'm shocked that the UKCAT is only worth 6 points, that's certainly some stress alleviated!

I'm a bit worried about the statement now though, as I have very little work experience and I've never had a part time job! Perhaps it's time to start looking about one for the Halloween break..

Thanks so much for all your help! Really appreciated. :D

In my experience Queens do not take the personal statement into great consideration however you will be asked about the info on your personal statement at interview so it is important.

Yes, I'd definitely advise some form of work experience, obviously if you could get into a hospital that would be a great advantage!

No probs, hope everything goes well!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jessh93

Does anyone know of helpful books for the hpat? I got 176 last year but fell down a bit in section 1. If anyone knew of books or podcasts that were useful for revision, that would be great :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

jessh93 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of helpful books for the hpat? I got 176 last year but fell down a bit in section 1. If anyone knew of books or podcasts that were useful for revision, that would be great :)

I'm not trying to be smart, but you really need to learn how to do some research yourself. Your first post and you ask a question you could have googled?

There is a search function on these forums and a number of search engines available, all of which work.

Here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956208

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement