Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Just about UCAS, when getting predicted grades do you fill them in on your form or do teachers have to do it? Also, what f predicted grades are lower than the requirements? For example, I only got a B1 (almost A2) in biology at summer and the same for French however I know that, especially for biology, that I will go up (biology I would say I will get an A2). What if my teachers go by my summer results for my grades? Most colleges require an A in biology. I didn't study as much as I should have and should have studied a lot more although I did get 570 combined. I know I will Obviously do a lot better but I'm worried about what Predicted grades I will get (I usually get As in class tests and majority of my results were As).
    Sorry about that very disjointed and poorly written reply, my phone is acting up on me. Thanks for any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jessh93

Okay I have been torturing my family, bf, etc. with my dilemma but you guys are going through the same thing so maybe you have some advice :)

Aiming for medicine, my sister is in 3rd med in UCD. I just did the leaving (for the first time), got 580 points, including the bonus maths points. Got 169 in the HPAT, 67th percentile. This leaves me with 725 in total, 12 points off gtown.

My options are:
    1. to repeat both leaving and hpat, in the hope that I can push my 4 a2s to a1s, and increase my hpat score by 15+.
    2. To take my 6th choice (Biomed in UCD) and repeat the HPAT, hoping to God I can come up by, like, 20 points.
    3. To take a year out and just concentrate on HPAT prep.

Has anyone been/ is anyone in a similar situation? If I was nowhere near getting it, I would just take my other choice and forget medicine. It's because I'm so near that I feel like I should keep trying.
    Is it possible to go up by alot of points in the 2nd HPAT attempt?
    Is there any point repeating for 9 measly points in the LC?
    Should I take Biomed to heck?! :confused:

Any suggestions/advice/testimonials/ similar stories would be so so much appreciated!! :D
    I'm the same, I'm going to do HHandD in Trinity and hoping to repeat the hpat next year. I'm 7 off Galway this year but I don't think it'll go up by more than 5 in 2013.

I considered repeating but as I did pass maths I could only go up a maximum of 8 points. Aside from the cost of changing courses I think that it is worth your while doing another course and repeating the hpat as at least then, if worst comes to worst and you don't get med next year, you'll be doing a course that puts you in a great place to do graduate medicine.

Also it seems that most people do go up in the hpat he second time around so as long as you keep practising this year there should be no reason you couldn't be doing medicine in 2013 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 standup

spurious wrote: »
    jessh93 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of helpful books for the hpat? I got 176 last year but fell down a bit in section 1. If anyone knew of books or podcasts that were useful for revision, that would be great :)

I'm not trying to be smart, but you really need to learn how to do some research yourself. Your first post and you ask a question you could have googled?

There is a search function on these forums and a number of search engines available, all of which work.

Here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956208
    That's not very far or nice.. The reason we ask questions is because some people have done it and succeeded and we would like to know if you know any good books which ones are good which ones aren't! The whole reason for this thread is to help each other out.. Do you not think we've ask google already?? There's hindereds of books and courses and the likes we want to know what's best! We only have a few months.. A little patients and kindness would go a long way....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Does anyone know of helpful books for the hpat? I got 176 last year but fell down a bit in section 1. If anyone knew of books or podcasts that were useful for revision, that would be great :)

For what it's worth, I didn't find the official practice tests from the website to be very useful. They were all I used last year for the exam, and they obviously give a flavour of what the exam is like, but I found the questions in the real HPAT more difficult. I can't really offer much other advice on books, etc. Anything I used when repeating this year was through a HPAT course, which was really expensive but I found it helpful so I guess it paid off for me, because my HPAT improved a lot the second time round.

That's how it worked out for me anyway, but bear in mind that you might find the total opposite! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Closet Monkey

Hey, guys. I'd like to ask again if anyone wants to do the Med*Entry course with me because no one has replied to my post and I've sent a PM to all the posts about Med*Entry yet only one person replied saying they have already registered. Why do the people wanting to do Med*Entry bother posting here if they aren't going to reply to the people that will kindly do it with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Hey, guys. I'd like to ask again if anyone wants to do the Med*Entry course with me because no one has replied to my post and I've sent a PM to all the posts about Med*Entry yet only one person replied saying they have already registered. Why do the people wanting to do Med*Entry bother posting here if they aren't going to reply to the people that will kindly do it with them?

A lot of them might have already signed up. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Closet Monkey

I've sent them messsages on the same day as they posted that they wanted to do the Med*Entry course. It's unlikely that all of them signed up at the same time. Anyway I know what your saying but they could at least have the decency to reply saying they can't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sheeba7

If you missed out on a university course by random selection , is there a point in ringing the university or cao , telling them that you are a repeat student so that you may be moved up the list ?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

sheeba7 wrote: »
    If you missed out on a university course by random selection , is there a point in ringing the university or cao , telling them that you are a repeat student so that you may be moved up the list ?:D

No sorry they won't consider this at all. The whole point of random selection is that it's random so everyone has an equal opportunity. Hopefully your course will drop on the second round.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

Hey jess, i went from 174 to 192 - with the following changes:

S1 53 to 65
    S2 58 to 50
    S3 64 to 76

S1 - Do shed loads of practise questions, the more the merrier. In your mind always be trying to create a portfolio of all the different question types. Figure out which question types you are good at, and which you are bad at. Spend the bulk of your time analysing q's you got wrong or took a long time to do, and come up with strategies to do them faster/better.

Did you run out of time on 1st attempt at hpat in s1? Get better at knowing which questions to skip and come back to. 1st time round I ran out of time, 2nd time round I skipped 3-4 questions and came back to them at the end and this pays off.

I also have a theory that I applied this year that you should do the last 10 questions of section 1 and 3 first, as these will be statistically more poorly answered (the average hpatter goes in numerical order and has to rush the last few q's). I think the last 10 q's will give you more marks than the first 10 since question scores are weighted by how many people get them right/wrong. Just a theory though, impossible to prove/disprove but to me it makes logical sense.

Some key skills off the top of my head: Truth/False logic, reading different types of graphs, Speed reading (while still comprehending deeply, no easy task.. needs tons of work), statistics (barely featured this year, luckily for me),

S2 - I dropped 8 marks, not my forte! section 2 was seriously tough this year. I don't think the study I did for section 2 really helped, I don't think m3dentry and ACER are on the same page in how they mark this section so go with instinct.

S3 - All about strategy. Be able to weed out obvious wrong answers, and for the really hard questions you should still only be guessing between 1-3 options. Do as many abstract problem types as humanly possible - this is where m3dentry shines, they have an endless fountain of section 3 questions.

General advice:
    - ALWAYS time yourself doing practise exams and don't let yourself go a single minute over. It's the only way to improve timing per question which is absolutely crucial to scoring highly. By the time the hpat came around I didn't even need to look at my watch more than 2-3 times because the pacing per question was built into me.

- Don't pay much attention to percentile scores given by prep courses. Not everyone is going to keep to the time allowed and this distorts their scores hugely. M3dentry predicted I would be in the 50-60th percentile in the hpat, I ended up in 92nd percentile.

• Advertisement

hollingr wrote: »
    Hey jess, i went from 174 to 192 - with the following changes:

S1 53 to 65
    S2 58 to 50
    S3 64 to 76

S1 - Do shed loads of practise questions, the more the merrier. In your mind always be trying to create a portfolio of all the different question types. Figure out which question types you are good at, and which you are bad at. Spend the bulk of your time analysing q's you got wrong or took a long time to do, and come up with strategies to do them faster/better.

Did you run out of time on 1st attempt at hpat in s1? Get better at knowing which questions to skip and come back to. 1st time round I ran out of time, 2nd time round I skipped 3-4 questions and came back to them at the end and this pays off.

I also have a theory that I applied this year that you should do the last 10 questions of section 1 and 3 first, as these will be statistically more poorly answered (the average hpatter goes in numerical order and has to rush the last few q's). I think the last 10 q's will give you more marks than the first 10 since question scores are weighted by how many people get them right/wrong. Just a theory though, impossible to prove/disprove but to me it makes logical sense.

Some key skills off the top of my head: Truth/False logic, reading different types of graphs, Speed reading (while still comprehending deeply, no easy task.. needs tons of work), statistics (barely featured this year, luckily for me),

S2 - I dropped 8 marks, not my forte! section 2 was seriously tough this year. I don't think the study I did for section 2 really helped, I don't think m3dentry and ACER are on the same page in how they mark this section so go with instinct.

S3 - All about strategy. Be able to weed out obvious wrong answers, and for the really hard questions you should still only be guessing between 1-3 options. Do as many abstract problem types as humanly possible - this is where m3dentry shines, they have an endless fountain of section 3 questions.

General advice:
    - ALWAYS time yourself doing practise exams and don't let yourself go a single minute over. It's the only way to improve timing per question which is absolutely crucial to scoring highly. By the time the hpat came around I didn't even need to look at my watch more than 2-3 times because the pacing per question was built into me.

- Don't pay much attention to percentile scores given by prep courses. Not everyone is going to keep to the time allowed and this distorts their scores hugely. M3dentry predicted I would be in the 50-60th percentile in the hpat, I ended up in 92nd percentile.

Great advice, thanks a lot!

I found what you said about the last ten questions very interesting, I think it's also a strategy that I might adopt. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jessh93

@hollingr

Thank you so so much. Its so nice you took the time to share all your little tips :) I really appreciate it. I think learning lists of vocab and synonyms really helped me with section 2, which was my best but section 1 let me down so I'll certainly be applying your methods next year.
    Best of luck with it all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

standup wrote: »
    That's not very far or nice.. The reason we ask questions is because some people have done it and succeeded and we would like to know if you know any good books which ones are good which ones aren't! The whole reason for this thread is to help each other out.. Do you not think we've ask google already?? There's hindereds of books and courses and the likes we want to know what's best! We only have a few months.. A little patients and kindness would go a long way....

No, I don't think they 'asked Google already' or they would have found the answer.

The world of medicine will hold terrible surprises for you if you're that sensitive or lacking in initiative.

Anyone else started doing any prep for this? Didn't have much to do tonight so went over a few practice questions.

I still feel like it's kinda early but maybe better to get some done before the workload of 6th year piles up on me.

That's not very fair or nice.. The reason we ask questions is because some people have done it and succeeded and we would like to know if you know any good books which ones are good which ones aren't! The whole reason for this thread is to help each other out.. Do you not think we've ask google already?? There's hundreds of books and courses and the likes we want to know what's best! We only have a few months.. A little patience and kindness would go a long way....

No, I don't think they 'asked Google already' or they would have found the answer.

The world of medicine will hold terrible surprises for you if you're that sensitive or lacking in initiative.

No I'm not being sensitive you're a moderator you're supposed to help out not make us feel like idiots.. Also I will rule the medicine world thank you very much.

i just applied for the UKCAT there and got my date for it.. it's in october so i need to start studying for it.. does anyone know of any good books they use and hound helpful? would i need to do a course on it?
    has anyone that's done it have any tips?

i just applied for the UKCAT there and got my date for it.. it's in october so i need to start studying for it.. does anyone know of any good books they use and hound helpful? would i need to do a course on it?
    has anyone that's done it have any tips?

'600 Questions' one seems to be deemed as the best, I had a look over on UK forums and that got good reviews.

You can pick it up on Amazon, but it's not cheap once you add in postage, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

Hey guyss :)

ermm i was just wondering if u can do medicine after studying science(4yrs) in TCD/UCD...if so, then do i have to spend 5 more yrs in medicine?? :p

thannks a lot :)

RML wrote: »
    Hey guyss :)

ermm i was just wondering if u can do medicine after studying science(4yrs) in TCD/UCD...if so, then do i have to spend 5 more yrs in medicine?? :p

thannks a lot :)

you can go graduate entry and do the gamsats (4 intensive years)

or go mature entry/undergrad entry (5 years, you should qualify to skip premed)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

That really is unfair. What's the point in having a HPAT thread here if people can't ask others for tips on what books/notes they found helpful for revision? If it was some question like "what date is the HPAT on?" or "how do I buy the practice test books?" I'd think your comments are fair enough, but the poster's asking for someone's personal advice. You type in "helpful HPAT books" into Google and you'll just get a load of prep companies peddling their products. What's wrong with asking people who may have used some of these products before what they think worked best?

• Advertisement

Just did my first prep exam, 17/42 for section 3.. wasn't expecting anything that low, I feel a little disheartened now.

Anyone have any tips for bringing your score up for that one? :(

0mega wrote: »
    Just did my first prep exam, 17/42 for section 3.. wasn't expecting anything that low, I feel a little disheartened now.

Anyone have any tips for bringing your score up for that one? :(

Practise makes perfect, and section 3 is definitely the most study friendly section so don't worry at all. Prep exam scores are pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. I got some 30th percentile and some 100th percentile scores along the way.

Focus on techniques like the 3/2 rule and familiarise yourself with all the question types, going over the ones you get wrong most. Know the patterns revolving around angles of 45,90,135,180,270,360, common object movement patterns in polygons from triangles all the way up to octagons, clockwise then anticlockwise movements, colour change patterns, etc etc..

The most important thing is to learn from each question you got wrong. Analyse the pattern in the ones you couldn't figure out so that the common patterns become more obvious to you as time goes on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I need to squad up for the eight letter asterix, if anybody wants to be ma' groupie send me a private message and let's get going.

And sorry for spamming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I need to squad up for the eight letter asterix, if anybody wants to be ma' groupie send me a private message and let's get going.

And sorry for spamming.

I did not understand what you just said... :L ********? hmmmmm....

ChemHickey wrote: »
    I did not understand what you just said... :L ********? hmmmmm....

med'entry is the eight letter asterix because it is filtered :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Not sure if this has been posted but just in case...
    Please alert students to the HPAT information session in UCC and NUIG for school pupils hoping to study Medicine in 2013 (the session is not targeted at Parents or Guidance Counsellors).

Date: Monday 17th September
    Time: 6.00 p.m.
    Venue: Boole 1 Lecture Theatre, UCC
    Presenter: ACER

Date: Tuesday September 18th 2012
    Time: 18:00 – 19:30
    Venue: Colm O hEocha Theatre (AM250) Arts Millennium Building, NUI Galway
    Presented by: ACER

Topics to be covered:

• History of the test
    • Why is HPAT – Ireland used?
    • What is HPAT – Ireland?
    • Test structure
    • How is it developed?
    • Important dates
    • How do you register?
    • How do you prepare for the test?
    • On the day of the test
    • Test taking strategy
    • HPAT – Ireland results

0mega wrote: »
    med'entry is the eight letter asterix because it is filtered :p

Ok... :L I understand :L

Is it bad to do the HPAT without a serious interest in medicine? I would love to do the HPAT for the experience and to sharpen my academic side too. It would help pinpoint places to improve etc. I don't have much of a desire to head into medicine though. Is it bad to do it for experience and the like or would it cause some bumps to other candidates if I got a question right that not many got right or if I got a question wrong that not many got wrong etc.?

I'm heading into 1st year college btw. :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

ChemHickey wrote: »
    I would love to do the HPAT for the experience

I think you're completely mental :pac:

• Advertisement

I think you're completely mental :pac:

Why? is it that traumatising? :L

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement