Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 whatsec

0mega wrote: »
    NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    Leaving Cert over time to get serious about this HPAT...

Can someone who did the med entry last year tell us about it? I want to make sure it's worth getting for the money.

I used it this year. I didn't do the day courses, just the online package which I think is about 300 whereas with the day courses the price doubles. I'd really recommend it. I got 201 in the hpat, 97th percentile and I definately wouldn't have gotten it without practicing. i don't think day courses can help you with something like the hpat (in fact nothing really can because it's such a strange exam) but the online package has literally thousands of questions and by practicing and practicing it really gets you used to the style of questions and how to approach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 conorc92

Hi, im a 1st year uni student looking to repeat the Hpat this coming february. Im wondering if anyone is interested in signing up for the med entry Hpat revision course as a group as its 220 euro cheaper. A group only has to be more than one according to the site.I've done a bit of research and talked to a few people who handled the Hpat really well and they've all pointed me to this as the best option for success. I'd be looking to sign up fairly soon. Anyone interested contact me through PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

whatsec wrote: »
    I used it this year. I didn't do the day courses, just the online package which I think is about 300 whereas with the day courses the price doubles. I'd really recommend it. I got 201 in the hpat, 97th percentile and I definately wouldn't have gotten it without practicing. i don't think day courses can help you with something like the hpat (in fact nothing really can because it's such a strange exam) but the online package has literally thousands of questions and by practicing and practicing it really gets you used to the style of questions and how to approach them.

That's all I needed to hear! :D

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DoodleMe

How early in the year did you start using the LMS practice tests/questions?

DoodleMe wrote: »
    How early in the year did you start using the LMS practice tests/questions?

Quite late really to be honest, it was christmas holidays I think so i had about a month and a half of practice. That was just my naivity though, I had thought I'd be fine without doing much practice (thinking it was just an aptitude test) but after chatting to other people in my school who were doing it I realised they had a lot more knowledge about the exam then I did.

So I'd recommend earlier than that, but I wouldn't be going mad studying over it like. Just a couple of exercises a day. I actually found them quite enjoyable sadly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 DoodleMe

Quite late really to be honest, it was christmas holidays I think so i had about a month and a half of practice. That was just my naivity though, I had thought I'd be fine without doing much practice (thinking it was just an aptitude test) but after chatting to other people in my school who were doing it I realised they had a lot more knowledge about the exam then I did.

So I'd recommend earlier than that, but I wouldn't be going mad studying over it like. Just a couple of exercises a day. I actually found them quite enjoyable sadly enough.

I also enjoy doing the questions :p I have one of the practice booklets that I was given by my guidance councillor. I do intend on purchasing the LMS package soon though, hopefully I'll get some practice in during the summer so I'm not too rusty going into 6th year

DoodleMe wrote: »
    I also enjoy doing the questions :p I have one of the practice booklets that I was given by my guidance councillor. I do intend on purchasing the LMS package soon though, hopefully I'll get some practice in during the summer so I'm not too rusty going into 6th year

Haha yeah they turn out to be quite a nice break from ordinary 6th year study

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

I'm looking to do the med entry course but was wondering if anyone wanted to join up for the group discount? You just need to down two names and numbers, its pretty easy. We don't have to do the same course days or anything like that either.

If anyone is interested pm me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Haha yeah they turn out to be quite a nice break from ordinary 6th year study

No. Just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 B25

Hi. I am doing the HPAT in 2013 and where can I purchase HPAT test papers or which is the best site to practice on.

I am also doing the English exam next week. Any tips?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 highcream

No, this is making me sad already. No more Hpat :( Ever again

My sister is applying for med and mentioned Minister Reilly wished to see it abolished.Has there been an update on this?

No. The Hpat has not been cancelled. Won't be either. More work for the students.:rolleyes:

B25 wrote: »
    No. The Hpat has not been cancelled. Won't be either. More work for the students.:rolleyes:

Did you do the UKCAT? I'm assuming that's what you meant when you referred to 'the english exam.'

If so, what did you think of it?

It was OK. It is a pity that they don't give any idea on how I got on. I'l just have to wait and see. Have you done the UKCAT?

It was OK. It is a pity that they don't give any idea on how I got on. I'l just have to wait and see. Have you done the UKCAT?

No I'm going to be sitting it before the deadline though.

How did you prepare for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

8 of this years Grad class did Arts...just to point that out.

I didn't do enough practice. I should have started much earlier. That's why I want to get the IPAT right if I can. I practiced on the UK Cat website. Wish I had started earlier though. Would probably have done better.

I didn't do enough practice. I should have started much earlier. That's why I want to get the IPAT right if I can. I practiced on the UK Cat website. Wish I had started earlier though. Would probably have done better.

You don't have to sit the exam until the 5th of October, perhaps you should've waited and done more practice.

In saying that, I've had all summer and barely looked at it at all. Meh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MtHanrahan

To you future Hpaters, my contribution to your studies :phttp://mthanrahan.blogspot.ie/2012/08/hpat-section-3-advice.html?m=1
    hope it helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Closet Monkey

Hey guys, anyone interested in doing the Med*Entry course on October 31st. Need 2 people for it. Also I'm open to suggestions to change to a different date.

Anyone know why the HPAT booklets are not available right now. I've checked the official website numerous times and they still don't sell them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 FunTimess

Hey. Anyone looking to share for the discount for the Med'Entry preparation package please PM me asap. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 nomnomnomnom

hi everyone. how can we find out what the points for medicine are for this year on the 20th? any predictions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Did my leaving cert there in June. Was extremely happy with the results. Pre Hpat I should have got in to medicine. Unfortunately I totally messed up my HPAT. I did the Med Entry Course during the Xmas break. Its a two day long course in which they discuss ad analyse each of the three sections. At the end of the three days you do a practise test. They don't mark it the real way (i.e. the higher the number of correct answers the lower the marks awarded) but provide a rough estimate of your percentile. They then send you an email to tell you what section you need to work on. Personally I found the the online aspect very good. There is thousands of questions and twelve sample papers which are marked correctly giving you your percentile in comparison to the other students in Ireland, Austrailia and New Zealand. The Hpat was on just after my mocks and I think that my downfall was studying for my mocks instead of studying for my Hpat. Unless the points go down just a tiny bit On Monday (which would be a miracle) I won't get the place so I'll prob repeat my Hpat again this year but thankfully there is a discount for repeat students :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

The fees are €8,000, including registration fee, for most med (not sure about RCSI) if you have already done a year of college somewhere. This can even be waived if you do a year of a certain science degree and then use it as your premed if you switch to UCD, NUIG or RCSI. This is at the discretion of the college however so you'd have to check first. I'd say the most likely course this would count for would be switching from biomedical science to 1st Med in UCD.

Are you 100% sure of this. I never heard of it. I went and asked my careers advisor teacher after my terrible HPAT what my options were and he said repeat the HPAT. Do you know someone who did this or someone I could ask ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

In case anyone hasn't seen yet, HPAT 2013 is scheduled for the 2nd of March and results won't be released until late June. Happy enough with this, it shouldn't collide horribly with mocks, and I dunno about anyone else but I'd rather not know how I did until after the LC, can't imagine doing awfully would be good for my morale.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Slow Show wrote: »
    results won't be released until late June.

Ugh I'd much prefer them before I'm finished my Leaving. Gives you way more time to look at other options if the results don't go your way :/ As well I'd prefer to finish my exams and not have to worry about any results until mid-way in august :L

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MtHanrahan

hi everyone. how can we find out what the points for medicine are for this year on the 20th? any predictions :)
    The points will be in all the papers and online that week. my blog predicts a rise of 5 -15 points in all medicine courses from last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭dmca93

Slow Show wrote: »
    In case anyone hasn't seen yet, HPAT 2013 is scheduled for the 2nd of March and results won't be released until late June. Happy enough with this, it shouldn't collide horribly with mocks, and I dunno about anyone else but I'd rather not know how I did until after the LC, can't imagine doing awfully would be good for my morale.

I did the LC and hpat this year. Funnily enough my sub-par hpat pushed me on to study even harder for the LC and it payed off because I got 575 points. I personally believe had I got a better hpat result I may have slacked off. I will still have to repeat the hpat but not the Leaving Cert, thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 nomnomnomnom

hi guys , since the points for med jumped up so much this year, do ye expect it to level out next year? go up by a 2 or 3 point increase? or a 9pointer? i expect the huge jumps were as a result of the extra points for maths !:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Closet Monkey

How much points did it jump up to?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement