Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Madden BFL - Fantasy NFL League interest?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Only home from hols Rob. Will do this in the morning :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

SantryRed wrote: »
    Only home from hols Rob. Will do this in the morning :)

Nice one, hope there was more fun besides the football over there

Ah it was. Football was such a disappointment though!

I must be stupid, how exactly do I join up? I see the team 13 that is free but how do I actually select it? I've signed up with the username Ben SFC.

Thanks!

Right, now that we have everyone signed up we have a 15-team league. Which unfortunately means that everyone will have a bye week at some stage unless we get a 16th member into the league due to the uneven number.

Only one person to complete the survey (Shane.C)
    Will post the results when it's finished.

Thanks everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Right, now that we have everyone signed up we have a 15-team league. Which unfortunately means that everyone will have a bye week at some stage unless we get a 16th member into the league due to the uneven number.

Only one person to complete the survey (Shane.C)
    Will post the results when it's finished.

Thanks everyone

Can I join the league?

Can I join the league?

Yeah of course, sent on invite.
    Now we're full at 16.

Can I join the league?

Yeah of course, sent on invite.
    Now we're full at 16.

Received and completed

Okay, everyone has completed the survey and we have decided on the following rules:

What type of draft should we have?
    Snake Draft [11 ]
    Auction Draft 5]

What should the roster size be for... QUARTERBACKS? (Standard = 1)
    1 QB [9]
    2 QB [7]

What should the roster size be for... RUNNING BACKS? (Standard = 2)
    2 RB [15]
    3 RB [1]

What should the roster size be for... WIDE RECEIVERS? (Standard = 2)
    2 WR [6]
    3 WR [10]

What should the roster size be for... TIGHT ENDS? (Standard = 1)
    1 TE [12]
    2 TE [4]

What should the roster size be for... FLEX POSITION? (i.e. RB, WR or TE) (Standard = 1)
    0 FLEX [4]
    1 FLEX [12]

What should the roster size be for... BENCH SPOTS? (Standard = 7)
    5 Bench [1]
    6 Bench [5]
    7 Bench [10]

What should the roster size be for... INJURED RESERVE? (Standard = 0 for yearly league, 1 for Keeper)
    0 IR [10]
    1 IR [6]

Should the league have KEEPERS?
    Yes [7]
    No [9]

What should the Free Agent System be?
    Weekly Waiver Wire [10]
    Free Agent Auction Bid [6]

How many teams should make the playoffs?
    4 Teams [7]
    6 Teams [9]

Should there be a trade review system? (Can decide system later once league details agreed)
    Yes [11]
    No [5]

Should points be included for plays in the Return Game? i.e. Punt Return yards, Kick Return Yards, TD's (Standard = No)
    Yes [8]
    No [8]
    Undecided

How many points should a Quarterback Touchdown Pass be worth? (Standard = 4 points, compared to 6 points for RB and WR - to balance out scoring)
    4 pts [9]
    5 pts [5]
    6 pts [2]

How many points should be awarded per Catch for RB's, WR's, TE's? (Standard = 0)
    0 [8]
    0.5 [6]
    1.0 [2]
    Undecided

How many Keepers should each team have? (Even if you answered No above, please complete in case Yes wins)
    1 [4]
    2 [6]
    3 [6]
    Undecided (also, not applicable as No keepers)

Should there be a cost for keepers? i.e. Draft picks, auction dollars (We can decide the cost, if any, once the type of draft, number of keepers, etc. is agreed)
    Yes [9]
    No [7]
    Not applicable

Should future draft picks be trade-able?
    Yes [7]
    No [9]

Seeing as we have two dead-even votes, if no-one has a problem with it, I will make an executive decision on these points along the lines of standard league rules:
      No points in the return game for individual players, will leave these for Defense/Special Teams
    • Zero points per reception

So have put the scoring rules below, and updated all the league rules on the website.

Closer to the pre-season we can do a poll to decide a draft date

BFL%2520Fantasy%2520Scoring.jpg

For other close calls, can see what people think at end of the year e.g. Keepers

With 6 playoff teams, the schedule will look a bit weird as we will each play 13 games and so won't play 2 of the other teams in the league.
    Weeks 1-13: Regular season
    Weeks 14-16: Playoffs
    Week 17: N/A (not included in majority of fantasy leagues as is a mess e.g. Aaron Rodgers not playing Week 17 last year)

Draft order has been set to randomise One hour before the draft. If when we're doing the draft poll people want to change this to assist with prep etc. then we can do a random draw in advance so we know what the story is.

FULL LEAGUE RULES: http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/leaguesetup/settings?leagueId=1466

• Advertisement

Have matched the team names with your usernames as best I could, if any mistakes let me know and lads I couldn't figure out can you let us know too?

Once we know who everyone is, much better for trade/trash talk, banter etc.

Bewildering Bengals - BigBadRob83
    Dublin Heli's Hellfire - helimachoptor
    Knocklyon Knights - Pudsy33
    Team duffy - Danger_dave1
    Team 4thandforever - Adrian522
    Dundalk Martlets - Raoul
    Team McLoughlin - mikemac1
    Pack of Cheaters - Matthew8
    Dublin Fumblers - McG
    Wexford Bears - linebacker52
    Team Bray - Lukebray
    Team Dale - SantryRed
    Northside Wonders - NekoChan
    Mayo Mustangs - Shane.C
    South East Asia Swagger - empacher
    Team Reidy - Copper_pipe

DRAFT TIME
    Will do up a doodle poll for the draft closer to season start. Will probably be between Mon 27th Aug-Wed 5th (Opening Day)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Team Duffy= me

I see you stole the bewildering bengals rob ;)

Team Duffy= me

I see you stole the bewildering bengals rob ;)

Yeah it has a nice ring to it!
    Was gonna use something Pats-centric but though better fit for the BFL league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I'm the pack of cheaters but that name will change according to my Madden team.

Team reidy is Myself

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Should we get everyone to reconfirm their interest so we only have people who will actively manage their team?

Do we have a waiting list?

• Advertisement

No waiting list, we'll know if everyone is interested when send around the Draft Time poll
    If don't get responses from people will PM them, they'll be booted unless going to be active

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sorry Rob, I've lost the password to my old email account and I haven't a clue what my ESPN password is either

Need to sign up again

Can you kick my team and send me another invite

Sorry :o

Re-sent invite Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

I'm south east asia swagger

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So are we going with 3 wr, 2 rb and a flex? Seems like a lot.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    So are we going with 3 wr, 2 rb and a flex? Seems like a lot.
    Yeah those were the rules we voted on

I would have thought it was a choice between a flex or 3 receivers..Having both will mean virtually nothing on the waiver wires.

It will at least make it challenging.

Time to set a date for the draft.

Good call Matthew,

Alright guys, I have done up Doodle poll to decide our draft time.
    Fill in your Boards username when you've completed it and we will decide once everyone has filled it out.
    Will PM any stragglers and let them know they will be kicked out of the league if I don't get a response and they don't fill in the poll.

http://doodle.com/qku6rcrgqs5qys2k

Have given dates from 27th August onwards as no point in doing before the last week of preseason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Hi Rob,

I looked at the doodle pool but I can't say for sure if any of those times will work for me. Any chance you can add in some afternoon or early evening times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Raoul

Lukebray wrote: »
    Hi Rob,

I looked at the doodle pool but I can't say for sure if any of those times will work for me. Any chance you can add in some afternoon or early evening times?

You will probably be in the minority for early afternoons and early evenings. But no harm in putting some in the poll if possible and hopefully one of them will suit you. Maybe a 7 o'clock start or something.

have added in an option for 7:00PM
    Had entered times based on prior history of these things (BFL online drafts and others) and people's availability, generally that is too early in the evening, but it's in there anyway just in case.

Off on hols for next week or so, so just in case anything pops up will have a look when I get back.
    And will that much close to Madden 13!

The draft is tied between 8pm on the 28th and 29th.

The draft will be crazy, don't know how I will pick 8 offensive starters. Right now I'm thinking the best value I can get for the flex is at tight end.

Lets go 29th :D

• Advertisement

Edit: I thought I'd already voted in this, but have voted now anyway.

Have PM'd the last guys outstanding for the draft poll, they have until Sunday to complete it. Will boot them from league if not done as we only want active people. Will confirm the draft date then either Monday morning or whenever all 16 have completed poll, whichever comes first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

sorry, just voted now. Thought I had already done it.

how many leagues are we doing? we have a lot of people for 1

I don't think Shane.C will be doing this, so we'll need to get another owner to complete the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Come on 28th

Yeah if there's anyone else interested let me know.
    Shane still hasn't completed poll and there's be no sight of him for ages, if don't hear from him by Sunday will have to put an alternate in if we have one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭madalig12

I'll give it a go if shane doesn't show.

madalig12 wrote: »
    I'll give it a go if shane doesn't show.

I think you'd better get rob to kick shane from the league. Only 3 days until we have the draft. In rob's absence because 8pm on the 28th is ahead by one and a half votes with only one more possible vote I think we can safely say that is the draft time.

Shane got back to me, he will be active so no need to kick anyone out.
    Will close the league poll now and update draft time on website.

Draft time: Wednesday 29th August, 22:00

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I may need some pointers...

Just saw the ESPN draft board. That's a wacky draft board. The idea of getting Rodgers at 4, Brady at 6, Brees at 8, Stafford at 13 or Graham at 20 is exciting.

wont be able to make the draft can do tues or the earlier wed, think theres the same amount of people available to both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Raoul

empacher wrote: »
    wont be able to make the draft can do tues or the earlier wed, think theres the same amount of people available to both.

Yeah I cant make it either. Will try and get a mate to do it for me instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭NekoChan

I am no idea what I am doing btw... anyone want to post a crash course on fantasy football or recommend a link to check out?

also, what happens if people cant make the draft time?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

NekoChan wrote: »
    I am no idea what I am doing btw... anyone want to post a crash course on fantasy football or recommend a link to check out?

also, what happens if people cant make the draft time?

This + 100, Something has come up and now wont be around most likely for the draft

• Advertisement

If you are not there the cpu will draft your team for you.

You can set preferences, what position you want drafted in each round and rank the players you want rated highest, this is worth doing if you cant make the draft.

For anyone who hasn't played before its pretty easy, and all good fun.

There are some good articles over on espn that are worth a read:

Draft day manifesto:

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=NFLDK2K12_TMRManifesto

Draft kit, projections rakings etc:

http://games.espn.go.com/frontpage/ffldraftkit

You can do mock drafts too on nfl.com or on espn.com.

Do one or 2 before the actual draft.

Feel free to post any questions you have.

If you cannot make the draft and it will be autopicked, you can change your pre-draft player rankings by first clicking on the my team page inside the league and on the Edit Pre-Draft Player Rankings button. There you can use the interactive list to move your rankings up and down. You may want to do this, a lot. I think ESPN rankings are absolutely all over the place. MJD above Tom Brady is one mind boggling rank, and there are many others. After making these changes, click on the save rankings button at the top or the bottom of the page. Just below the Edit Pre-Draft Rankings button is the edit Autopick strategy. This is especially handy for those who don't want to end up with 5 kickers. Here you can set limits on the number of players to draft (I would advise 2 for QB, 1 for K, 1 for DEF and 2 for TE) and tell the CPU in which round to draft which player. This can be tought because you don't know your spot and who will be there, so telling the CPU to pick QB in the first round could land you Aaron Rodgers, or it could land you Tony Romo. Many players will leave defense and kicker until the last 2 rounds because most people play the matchups. I would advise doing the same. The default option is to pick the best available, but you can also tell the CPU to pick the best out of the QBs and RBs or QBs and WRs which is very handy for the first round pick. These are the settings I would choose:
    1. QB/RB
    2. RB or WR
    3. RB or WR
    4. RB or WR
    5. RB or WR (Try to get 2 RBs and 2 WRs in the first 5 at least)
    6. QB
    7. WR
    8. WR
    9. WR or RB
    10. TE (The art of drafting tight ends is too hard for autopick. There are so few top ones it's hard to know. The 145-160 pick range will give you a serviceable TE like Jermaine Gresham/Greg Olsen for sure)
    11-15. Whatever
    16. Kicker
    17. Defense

Player limits:
    QB. 2
    RB. 5
    WR. 6
    TE. 2
    K. 1
    DEF. 1

For advice on drafting, I suggest Matthew Berry's love/hate column on ESPN. Some don't like his writing styles, but I think his logic is on the ball.

For those who will be at the draft, I don't have any advice to give you're on your own, I haven't done an ESPN draft before.

And finally, how the snake draft works. The order for the first round is randomised, and after every round the order is reversed. So 1 picks 32 next, 2 picks 31 etc.

are we go for this?

empacher wrote: »
    are we go for this?

I assume so, only 4 and a half hours to go.

matthew8 wrote: »
    I assume so, only 4 and a half hours to go.

im working at half 10, whats the normal time length, if i can get my first 3/4 picks in. it wont be so bad!

• Advertisement
Advertisement