Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Madden BFL - Fantasy NFL League interest?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

empacher wrote: »
    do we draft an entire team like the serious leagues, or just offence and pick a team defense

Probably just offensive players (QB, RB, TE, WR), a kicker and a team defense/special teams

Right guys, have set up the survey to decide our league rules for the Fantasy League.

Complete at: http://www.surveytool.com/s/SE3EB11414

There is a question in it to enter your Boards username, so can keep track of who has completed it and who is outstanding.
    Have completed based on usual bits and pieces that differ across leagues, didn't get many additional ideas for suggested rules above what I posted before, so hopefully good to go.

Any suggestions not covered in this let me know.

*Still waiting for 5 people to accept their invites and join the league
    I think the 5 outstanding are: Pudsy33, SantryRed, Danger_dave1, Lukebray, Matthew8

INFO
    ESPN Rules Index: http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/content?page=fflrulesindex2012
    Standard roster: 1 QB, 2 RB, 1 TE, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 DEF, 1 K, 7 Bench = 16

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Rob.. could you explain some of the terminology?

Rob.. could you explain some of the terminology?

Sure Heli, which bits you want to know about?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Sure Heli, which bits you want to know about?

Snake/auction what is the difference?
    Keepers?

• Advertisement

Snake/auction what is the difference?

Snake draft
    is what we did for Madden 12, say there 4 teams, the order of the draft would be:
    Round 1: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
    Round 2: 4 - 3 - 2 - 1
    Round 3: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
    Round 4: 4 - 3 - 2 - 1
    etc.
    Order swaps around each round to balance out

Auction
    Every team has a budget, say $250.
    Go through the teams one-by-one and each team puts forward a player for Auction.
    Live bidding by every team for whichever player is available.
    Idea is that every team has a shot at every player, and you end up getting the players you value more highly.

Good overview here: http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/resources/help/content?name=drafts-auction
    Keepers?

Most leagues you just do your draft, compete each year, and re-draft the next year.

In Keeper leagues, at the end of the year you get to pick a certain number of keepers (decided by league) you get to keep on your team for next year.
    Idea is to have some continuity between each season, makes things little more interesting for trades and the like.

If the keepers cost anything is another decision (to be made by league if keepers implemented). For auctions, mostly you would say that to keep a player you lose his auction price from next year's budget, or for a draft league you lose the pick from the round you drafted a player in.

So if you get a great bargain or low-round pick you get to keep them cheaply next year.
    e.g. In another league I'm in, I picked up Cam Newton on waiver wire last season. Have him as a keeper this year and only lose my last round pick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I don't think we should have RB in the Flex. At most we should have a flex of WR/TE with 2 WR and 2 RB's or else 2 RB's and 3 WR's.

If we have a 16 team league and 3 starters (potentially) at RB that would make the waiver wire pretty sparse at that position.

Obviously happy to go with whatever is voted for.

I went with keeper and PPR.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I don't think we should have RB in the Flex. At most we should have a flex of WR/TE with 2 WR and 2 RB's or else 2 RB's and 3 WR's.

If we have a 16 team league and 3 starters (potentially) at RB that would make the waiver wire pretty sparse at that position.

Obviously happy to go with whatever is voted for.

I went with keeper and PPR.

Good point Adrian, will look at the make-up of the flex position when we see what the rosters end up like. Can see what people think then.

Looks like I'm the only one interested in doing an Auction Draft

Went with Keeper too, like the continuity of it (kinda like the online franchise)

Cheers Rob! Will vote over the next day or so

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Cheers Rob! Will vote over the next day or so

I'd be happy with auction or snake, but I've never done an auction which is why I voted for snake.

Don't really mind either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

can't have the WR/TE as a flex without changing the pints for a TD. typically WR get more points (25 for a great game) whereas a TE might get (15 for a great game) If you change points to compensate. whoever gets gronk, hernadez, graham. could be getting 40 cause occasionally does guys break into 20 points

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I have joined the league. Or at least, I did join the league, and either I've been kicked or it does not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Yes it seems like I have been kicked from the league.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Yes it seems like I have been kicked from the league.

Re-sent invite to you Matthew

empacher wrote: »
    can't have the WR/TE as a flex without changing the pints for a TD. typically WR get more points (25 for a great game) whereas a TE might get (15 for a great game) If you change points to compensate. whoever gets gronk, hernadez, graham. could be getting 40 cause occasionally does guys break into 20 points

Not sure if I understand above correctly, are you completely anti the flex position?
    Very little difference between what WR's and TE's, especially when you get down to the flex position you'd already have 16 TE's starting and 32 WR's.
    Have played in leagues with flex position as WR/TE and WR/TE/RB and it hasn't created any imbalance from what I've seen.

Will probably still be a couple of things to be decided once league setup, can add it to the list if people think it's an issue

Filled it out.. but i'm not au fait with this so feel free to ignore :D

Just wanna make sure this doesn't get lost for the few people left to complete.

Survey at: http://www.surveytool.com/s/SE3EB11414

There is a question in it to enter your Boards username, so can keep track of who has completed it and who is outstanding.
    Have completed based on usual bits and pieces that differ across leagues, didn't get many additional ideas for suggested rules above what I posted before, so hopefully good to go.

Any suggestions not covered in this let me know.

*Still waiting for 3 people to accept their invites and join the league
    I think the 3 outstanding are: Pudsy33, SantryRed, and one of Danger_dave1 and Matthew8 (not sure)

Outstanding to complete the survey are: Pudsy33, SantryRed, Danger_dave1, Shane.C, NekoChan
    INFO
    ESPN Rules Index: http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/content...rulesindex2012
    Standard roster: 1 QB, 2 RB, 1 TE, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 DEF, 1 K, 7 Bench = 16

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭NekoChan

Filled out.

Still waiting for 3 people to accept their invites and join the league. I think they are:
    Pudsy33
    SantryRed
    Danger_dave1

Outstanding to complete the survey are:
    SantryRed
    Shane.C

EDIT: Re-sent invitations to lads who haven't joined league

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Still waiting for 3 people to accept their invites and join the league. I think they are:
    Pudsy33
    SantryRed
    Danger_dave1

Pudsy33
    SantryRed
    Shane.C

can you mail me another invite? think mine is gone

Still waiting for 2 people to accept their invites and join the league. I think they are:
    Pudsy33
    SantryRed
    *Re-sent invitations to lads who haven't joined league

SantryRed
    Shane.C

http://www.surveytool.com/s/SE3EB11414

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Only home from hols Rob. Will do this in the morning :)

SantryRed wrote: »
    Only home from hols Rob. Will do this in the morning :)

Nice one, hope there was more fun besides the football over there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Ah it was. Football was such a disappointment though!

I must be stupid, how exactly do I join up? I see the team 13 that is free but how do I actually select it? I've signed up with the username Ben SFC.

Thanks!

Right, now that we have everyone signed up we have a 15-team league. Which unfortunately means that everyone will have a bye week at some stage unless we get a 16th member into the league due to the uneven number.

Only one person to complete the survey (Shane.C)
    Will post the results when it's finished.

Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Right, now that we have everyone signed up we have a 15-team league. Which unfortunately means that everyone will have a bye week at some stage unless we get a 16th member into the league due to the uneven number.

Only one person to complete the survey (Shane.C)
    Will post the results when it's finished.

Thanks everyone

Can I join the league?

Can I join the league?

Yeah of course, sent on invite.
    Now we're full at 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Can I join the league?

Yeah of course, sent on invite.
    Now we're full at 16.

Received and completed

Okay, everyone has completed the survey and we have decided on the following rules:

What type of draft should we have?
    Snake Draft [11 ]
    Auction Draft 5]

What should the roster size be for... QUARTERBACKS? (Standard = 1)
    1 QB [9]
    2 QB [7]

What should the roster size be for... RUNNING BACKS? (Standard = 2)
    2 RB [15]
    3 RB [1]

What should the roster size be for... WIDE RECEIVERS? (Standard = 2)
    2 WR [6]
    3 WR [10]

What should the roster size be for... TIGHT ENDS? (Standard = 1)
    1 TE [12]
    2 TE [4]

What should the roster size be for... FLEX POSITION? (i.e. RB, WR or TE) (Standard = 1)
    0 FLEX [4]
    1 FLEX [12]

What should the roster size be for... BENCH SPOTS? (Standard = 7)
    5 Bench [1]
    6 Bench [5]
    7 Bench [10]

What should the roster size be for... INJURED RESERVE? (Standard = 0 for yearly league, 1 for Keeper)
    0 IR [10]
    1 IR [6]

Should the league have KEEPERS?
    Yes [7]
    No [9]

What should the Free Agent System be?
    Weekly Waiver Wire [10]
    Free Agent Auction Bid [6]

How many teams should make the playoffs?
    4 Teams [7]
    6 Teams [9]

Should there be a trade review system? (Can decide system later once league details agreed)
    Yes [11]
    No [5]

Should points be included for plays in the Return Game? i.e. Punt Return yards, Kick Return Yards, TD's (Standard = No)
    Yes [8]
    No [8]
    Undecided

How many points should a Quarterback Touchdown Pass be worth? (Standard = 4 points, compared to 6 points for RB and WR - to balance out scoring)
    4 pts [9]
    5 pts [5]
    6 pts [2]

How many points should be awarded per Catch for RB's, WR's, TE's? (Standard = 0)
    0 [8]
    0.5 [6]
    1.0 [2]
    Undecided

How many Keepers should each team have? (Even if you answered No above, please complete in case Yes wins)
    1 [4]
    2 [6]
    3 [6]
    Undecided (also, not applicable as No keepers)

Should there be a cost for keepers? i.e. Draft picks, auction dollars (We can decide the cost, if any, once the type of draft, number of keepers, etc. is agreed)
    Yes [9]
    No [7]
    Not applicable

Should future draft picks be trade-able?
    Yes [7]
    No [9]

Seeing as we have two dead-even votes, if no-one has a problem with it, I will make an executive decision on these points along the lines of standard league rules:
      No points in the return game for individual players, will leave these for Defense/Special Teams
    • Zero points per reception

So have put the scoring rules below, and updated all the league rules on the website.

Closer to the pre-season we can do a poll to decide a draft date

BFL%2520Fantasy%2520Scoring.jpg

For other close calls, can see what people think at end of the year e.g. Keepers

With 6 playoff teams, the schedule will look a bit weird as we will each play 13 games and so won't play 2 of the other teams in the league.
    Weeks 1-13: Regular season
    Weeks 14-16: Playoffs
    Week 17: N/A (not included in majority of fantasy leagues as is a mess e.g. Aaron Rodgers not playing Week 17 last year)

Draft order has been set to randomise One hour before the draft. If when we're doing the draft poll people want to change this to assist with prep etc. then we can do a random draw in advance so we know what the story is.

FULL LEAGUE RULES: http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/leaguesetup/settings?leagueId=1466

• Advertisement

Have matched the team names with your usernames as best I could, if any mistakes let me know and lads I couldn't figure out can you let us know too?

Once we know who everyone is, much better for trade/trash talk, banter etc.

Bewildering Bengals - BigBadRob83
    Dublin Heli's Hellfire - helimachoptor
    Knocklyon Knights - Pudsy33
    Team duffy - Danger_dave1
    Team 4thandforever - Adrian522
    Dundalk Martlets - Raoul
    Team McLoughlin - mikemac1
    Pack of Cheaters - Matthew8
    Dublin Fumblers - McG
    Wexford Bears - linebacker52
    Team Bray - Lukebray
    Team Dale - SantryRed
    Northside Wonders - NekoChan
    Mayo Mustangs - Shane.C
    South East Asia Swagger - empacher
    Team Reidy - Copper_pipe

DRAFT TIME
    Will do up a doodle poll for the draft closer to season start. Will probably be between Mon 27th Aug-Wed 5th (Opening Day)

Advertisement