Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

On the plus side, you did hit your training goal... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

RayCun wrote: »
    On the plus side, you did hit your training goal... :)
    A touch of class from an excellent runner.!.
    Entry fees should guarantee the basics....

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

I was feeling a bit of sympathy for the RD trying to decide what to do after you'd all been picked up by the van. That all disappeared when I got to the bit about him washing his hands of the cock-up - I thought it was pretty shameful tbh. If you're the RD, then you're responsible. End of.

Well done KC on putting together a restrained race report, I don't think that I'd have been so diplomatic. And you're right - it's definitely time for a beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Unbelieveable cock up krusty. Hard luck. Seems you are in great shape though. Didnt something similar happen a good while back in the bogtrotters with a poorly signposted turn? You went on to a huge pb in berlin after. Maybe its a good omen :-)

More setriously i hope they at least refunded your entry fee.
    Yeah, I'm not sure which I'm more pissed off about. Bogtrotters was negligence (no marshall or signage at a required right turn), or the sheer stupidity of the marshall who directed us right, when all we had to do was keep going straight. At least this time (thanks to van man (who may or may not have also been the guilty marshall!), I didn't have to run an extra 6 miles.) :) So I'm not sure whether to thank him, or curse him!

macinalli wrote: »
    That all disappeared when I got to the bit about him washing his hands of the cock-up
    It was a charity race. If he'd apologized on behalf of the team or whoever made the feck-up, I'd have walked away happy enough with my training session. But when he uttered those cowardly words, I lost all respect and sympathy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

It was a charity race. If he'd apologized on behalf of the team or whoever made the feck-up, I'd have walked away happy enough with my training session. But when he uttered those cowardly words, I lost all respect and sympathy.

Shame on you Krusty, it was a charity race. And so what if a lad facies a quick ciggie on the job, and you mistook his flicking ash for a directional signpoint? And as for you dissing An Garda Sioachana... The real winner here is the RD, few bob thrown to a charity, the rest of KC's money in his back pocket for a weekend on the razz, whatta hero.

Hard luck dude. Stick to the club races, at least they give a sh!t.

Today: 4 easy recovery miles to bring the weekly total into the 80s. Very easy after yesterday's quicker miles, @8:34/mile, HR=~111 (HR results are screwy).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Something similar happened to my husband in the Milstreet Adventure race this year. A marshall sent him and about 10 others the wrong way and they ended up doing a way longer bike section than the rest of us. He was livid but the RD was excellent. A big apology and then they decided to add a special category for those who did a longer course. The winner got one of the trophies I think. Not that the prize mattered it was the acknowledgement that they were sorry for the mistake.and recognition on their website that some people did a longer race. As a result we will go back next year. I wouldnt be interested in the Kilomarathon after hearing how the RD spoke.

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Something similar happened to my husband in the Milstreet Adventure race this year. A marshall sent him and about 10 others the wrong way and they ended up doing a way longer bike section than the rest of us. He was livid but the RD was excellent. A big apology and then they decided to add a special category for those who did a longer course. The winner got one of the trophies I think. Not that the prize mattered it was the acknowledgement that they were sorry for the mistake.and recognition on their website that some people did a longer race. As a result we will go back next year. I wouldnt be interested in the Kilomarathon after hearing how the RD spoke.
    Sounds like a very responsible and mature attitude to race mishaps. They really shouldn't happen at all, but if they do, RDs could take a leaf out of his book!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Meno was talking about this today. Shocking. Race directors need to stand up and be counted when sh*t like this happens, blaming someone else is not on. I was livid during the midlands half - I'd have happily stopped and walked to the finish but the race director accepting blame and standing around at the finish line ready to take abuse softened the blow, what happened in both races is unforgivable but the difference in the race directors responses means that I'd consider returning to midlands no chance I'd go to moone.

Well done on a great training run. Pathetic response from the organiser. Sadly he'll make just as much money next year as this won't filter through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

In fairness the Kilomarathon is run by volunteers to raise funds for sick children in Our Lady's Children's Hospital, Crumlin. All proceeds are going to charity.
    Having spoken to race organisers about the incident they are very regretful, 1. For the mishap & 2. For the manner in which it was dealt with on the day. Efforts are being made to contact those involved to offer sincerest apologies and some redress. The experience certainly won't be lost on the organisers.
    I attended the event and enjoyed the day. I was delighted to see so many turn out for such a good cause & would be very sorry to see comments on social media detract people from participating in the future.
    I would encourage all those who fell victim of the mishap to please participate again, let the organisers know prior to registration & afford them the chance to make it up.
    It may be best to contact the organisers directly to deal with the matter (if they havn't already contacted you).
    Looking forward to a bigger and better Kilomarathon (with well informed marshall's - if indeed it was a marshall :)) next year.
    To race organisers - KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.
    It's a big undertaking to try and organise but fair play for the efforts.

Why do so many charity races (if indeed it was a charity race:)) feel the need to shortchange their entrants? Heads up, the vast majority of race entrants sign up to run a race, not to fund a charity. This looks like a disaster of a race organization wise- you saying "keep up the good work" hardly helps with addressing any issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

It was a charity race (as per above, see also race website or contact race organisers if further confirmation needed).
    Thankfully there are people who go to the bother of putting on these events for entrants to run - hopefully they will continue to do so in the future, learning from previous experience and taking on board all comments on social media, or other media as they go. A bit of encouragement is no harm.
    I contacted the race organisers who confirmed they are addressing the mishap with those who fell victim.
    I found the organisation on the day to be very good.

So what if it was a charity race? Does that excuse bad organisation? No it doesn't. The community/charity shield was on in the uk today. If the timing or refereeing was dodgy would be fact it was for charity be a valied excuse?

Charity race should not be synonymous with $hit race.

I ran the 10k 2 years ago and really enjoyed it. The organisers should put their hands up and make sure it doesn't happen again end of.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I wonder what involvement you have in the race?

I don't care if it's a charity race. Club races are essentially charity races - with the charity being the club involved and things like this don't happen with them, not only that, but they're much cheaper to enter. Fact is numerous people went off course and didn't get to run the course they'd paid for. Races like this are notorious for not having adequate marshalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Howdounomyname

I wonder what involvement you have in the race?

I don't care if it's a charity race. Club races are essentially charity races - with the charity being the club involved and things like this don't happen with them, not only that, but they're much cheaper to enter. Fact is numerous people went off course and didn't get to run the course they'd paid for. Races like this are notorious for not having adequate marshalling.

Ran the 10k last year. Unable to participate this year due to injury. Went along to show support on the day, encourage participants etc. Enjoyable day.

Ran the 10k last year. Unable to participate this year due to injury. Went along to show support on the day, encourage participants etc. Enjoyable day.
    Probably best to raise your points in the Kilomarathon thread 'here' rather than my training log. I have a lot of sympathy for the volunteers and even for charity races (though one needs to separate the charity element from the race element; you are basically paying for a race where the proceeds go to charity, rather than donating to charity and getting a free race), which is why I have stuck to facts and stayed away from the emotive side of things. I understand it was a great race last year, and I'm sure it will be a great race next year, but this year, 10%-15% of the runners were redirected down the incorrect route in an area with no signage. Not that it's relevant, but the route on the website is from a couple of years ago and has no bearing on the actual race route.

It was Billy Porter (MC during the awards) who apologized to the runners for the mishap, after he took the microphone off the RD. Ironically, Billy himself was redirected down the incorrect route too. Fair play to guy. He has gone up even further in my estimation! Personally, I won't go back next year (once bitten), but I wont dissuade others from going.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Probably best to raise your points in the Kilomarathon thread 'here' rather than my training log. I have a lot of sympathy for the volunteers and even for charity races (though one needs to separate the charity element from the race element; you are basically paying for a race where the proceeds go to charity, rather than donating to charity and getting a free race), which is why I have stuck to facts and stayed away from the emotive side of things. I understand it was a great race last year, and I'm sure it will be a great race next year, but this year, 10%-15% of the runners were redirected down the incorrect route in an area with no signage. Not that it's relevant, but the route on the website is from a couple of years ago and has no bearing on the actual race route.

It was Billy Porter (MC during the awards) who apologized to the runners for the mishap, after he took the microphone off the RD. Ironically, Billy himself was redirected down the incorrect route too. Fair play to guy. He has gone up even further in my estimation! Personally, I won't go back next year (once bitten), but I wont dissuade others from going.

Was thinking about this foe next year, but now i rather give it a miss

Today: Easy 90 minute run
    Came into work on the bike, covered head to toe in PVC and rubber to combat the wintery conditions (a little too much 50 shades of grey), but by the time I set out for my run, summer had set in again, so I was wearing an equal but opposite amount of clothing. Started a little tired, but two miles in I was greatly enjoying my run around new pastures (Jobstown), that I extended the run from 60 to 90 minutes, taking in detours and finishing with an easy mile or two through Corkagh, that will take the pressure off this week's mileage. Another couple of easy miles this evening and it'll be a solid start to the weke.

Summary: 12 miles in 90 mins, @7:27/mile

Started a little tired, but two miles in I was greatly enjoying my run around new pastures (Jobstown), that I extended the run from 60 to 90 minutes,

I run through there regularly, usually like to combine it with up tempo sessions for obvious reasons

TRR wrote: »
    I run through there regularly, usually like to combine it with up tempo sessions for obvious reasons
    The route I ran looped around Jobstown and back in by CityWest, so it wasn't that bad. Wouldn't be keen to do it on a Friday night though!

The route I ran looped around Jobstown and back in by CityWest, so it wasn't that bad. Wouldn't be keen to do it on a Friday night though!

Dead right you wouldn't. Try halloween even better craic.

• Advertisement

Evening: Very easy 5 miles around Shangannagh, in 42 mins, @8:27

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Cheers jackyback. What's next on the cards for you? Any ideas about having another pop at the marathon?

No plans to race a marathon for the rest of the year but pacing DCM 3:30 group as we have a load from our run club lining up. Who knows about next year i may decide to give it a good crack although i would like to be in mid to low 2:50 shape to make sure the next time i run the sub 3 is a formality.

Next on the cards is The Lost Sheep half IM and knowing the year i am having i will end up being one of the Lost Sheep:)

That Kilomarathon sounded like great craic altogether, what pace was the garmin showing up in the back of the van:)

That Kilomarathon sounded like great craic altogether, what pace was the garmin showing up in the back of the van:)
    Lol! I should have kept it running! I'm sure my heart rate would have been high!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

hahahahaha that made me laugh too loudly for work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

but this year, 10%-15% of the runners were redirected down the incorrect route in an area with no signage.

Hard luck G but fair play on being a gent as always.

There's a Health and Safety issue being overlooked here, I don't know the route but assume once you went off the course you could have been exposed to traffic etc?
    The RD was a coward, as with any altercation in life, holding your hands up and saying 'I'm sorry' will earn you respect, hiding only inflames the issue.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Hard luck G but fair play on being a gent as always.
    It was only because I didn't know the guy. If it was any of you lot, I would have trampled all over you to get my m40 prize. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

It was only because I didn't know the guy. If it was any of you lot, I would have trampled all over you to get my m40 prize. :D

Ha Ha, you wouldn't have had to trample over most of us, we're still young :P

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Ha Ha, you wouldn't have had to trample over most of us, we're still young :P
    Touché!

Today: 7 mile easy run
    I should avoid going running when both angry and tired, as the tendency is to try to escape the shackles, while the legs are just too tired to cope with the burning desire to run faster. Uncomfortable and un-enjoyable run, but good suntan weather (if nothing else).

Summary: 7 miles in 51 mins, @7:17/mile

Last night: 10k mile recovery run
    Very easy recovery run out to Taylorville and back (wonder when they'll officially change the name?). Absolutely shagged tired afterwards. Dead on my feet that evening. Couldn't stay awake. 30 Miles over Monday/Tuesday may have been a little over the top after the race/session on Saturday, but I have a holiday/rest week coming up, so I'll stick with it through this week.

Today I have a tempo session on the cards, but may give it a miss and do a long run instead if the worsening weather persists. Winds are currently 10m/s which is just too much stacked against getting 4 x 2mile tempo done successfully. It's either that or a 20 mile run home into a strong head-wind. Choices, choices...

Summary: 6 miles in 50 mins, @8:05/mile.

• Advertisement

This evening: 20 mile not so easy run

I stuck my nose out of the office at lunchtime, and there was a bit of a gale blowing, so I decided to ditch the tempo run and go with plan (b) run home to Shankill. Just one thing lay between me and home.. 52 km/hour head-winds... All the way home.. Not the most fun I've ever had, but good to finally do that run I've been promising myself for over a year. Took over 2.5 hours. Would've been 25 mins on the bike. Stoopid running.

Summary: 20.24 miles, in 2:35:42, @7:42/mile

Advertisement