Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

This evening: 20 mile not so easy run

I stuck my nose out of the office at lunchtime, and there was a bit of a gale blowing, so I decided to ditch the tempo run and go with plan (b) run home to Shankill. Just one thing lay between me and home.. 52 km/hour head-winds... All the way home.. Not the most fun I've ever had, but good to finally do that run I've been promising myself for over a year. Took over 2.5 hours. Would've been 25 mins on the bike. Stoopid running.

Summary: 20.24 miles, in 2:35:42, @7:42/mile

Good on you. It's useful sometimes to remind yourself that training can include elemental "point A to point B" stuff, rather than just being about hitting numbers from a schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Good on you. It's useful sometimes to remind yourself that training can include elemental "point A to point B" stuff, rather than just being about hitting numbers from a schedule.
    I like these types of runs, as there's an element of adventure, unlike the standard 20 mile loop. S'funny how priorities change, and you look forward to getting closer to the base of the mountains to get some shelter from the wind, rather than wondering if mile 15 will ever come. Suburban exploring!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

How did you prepare yourself for this run?

20 miles is a fair old trot and something I would usually do a little bit of carb loading for the day beforehand. You had planned a tempo which I assume you wouldn't have done too much fueling for.

Being a bit spur of the moment did you gorge at lunch time or just carry on as per normal and manage the run on a normal day's diet?

Clum wrote: »
    How did you prepare yourself for this run?

20 miles is a fair old trot and something I would usually do a little bit of carb loading for the day beforehand. You had planned a tempo which I assume you wouldn't have done too much fueling for.

Being a bit spur of the moment did you gorge at lunch time or just carry on as per normal and manage the run on a normal day's diet?
    I had porridge in the morning (I only eat porridge these days before session or long runs) and had a late lunch (sausages and mash!), so normal diet (which for me has a carbs bias anyway). I'd be more concerned about fueling for the tempo run to be honest, as it's more important that you hit the right notes. You can struggle through an LSR on low energy (sometimes not a bad idea) or remedy along the way (i.e. grab a drink, which I didn't bother with on this occasion). Despite the rain (and leaving my tongue dangling to catch the drops!) got thirsty towards the end of the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Commuting is a great way to get the miles in I find. You ran by 30 yards from my house just before 8 miles according to the garmin. Next time I can have water stashed for you at the estate entrance on your route. No probs - just send me a text beforehand.

• Advertisement

Commuting is a great way to get the miles in I find. You ran by 30 yards from my house just before 8 miles according to the garmin. Next time I can have water stashed for you at the estate entrance on your route. No probs - just send me a text beforehand.
    Agreed. I finished work at 8pm though, and arrived home just before 11pm. Not an approach I'll be taking too often! Thanks for the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

This running to work stuff seems like a great idea

BobMac104 wrote: »
    This running to work stuff seems like a great idea
    It does. Certainly if you're in the region of a 5-10 mile commute (and have showers in work!).

Afternoon: 7 mile recovery run
    A little stiff and tired from the previous nights run, which was still in the legs, but started to loosen up towards the end of the run and mile by mile the pace picked up. 7 miles in 57 mins, @8:12/mile.

Evening: 5 miles easy with strides
    Back to sloppy Shanganagh Park in the drizzle, sloshing around the fields. After 2 miles warm-up, did strides on alternate flat sides of the fields, which kept the ennui at bay. 5.3 miles in 40 mins, @7:35/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

It does. Certainly if you're in the region of a 5-10 mile commute (and have showers in work!)...

which I am (and have). Next week now!

Today: 6 miles steady + 4 miles recovery. 73 miles for the week so far. We're going for the record. :)

• Advertisement

Today: 19 mile abridged Jack Daniels Session
    I had to give the run in the park a miss, as with the motor racing taking place and an impending flight, the timing was too tight and the risks too great. So headed out from home, with the goal of doing an abridged Jack Daniels session.

4 Mile warm-up @7:39/mile, over the top of a Mine Hill lane
    4 Miles @6:14/mile, over an undulating route that will serve as good practice for DCM.
    1 Mile Tempo @5:45/mile, which was tough but manageable.
    5 Miles @6:16/mile - ironically it felt a little easier after the tempo mile
    1 Mile Tempo @5:56/mile - started with a downhill, but finished with a brief uphill that killed my pace in the hot sunshine, so a little slower than planned. But kept up the pace for an extra 0.5 miles to make up for it.
    4.25 miles warm-down @6:48/mile (includes 0.5 mile of tempo).

Was pretty tired and emotional after this one (so can only imagine how cwgatling, Tunguska and the lads got on in the park with the extra few MP miles tagged on). Didn't bother with any drinks (but had two gels along the way) so I'd lost 5+ pounds by the time I arrived home. So that makes 92 miles for the week (in 6 days) which is a mileage PB for me, and a week of training I'm happy with, before heading away for an easy recovery week.

Summary: 19.25 miles in 2:07, @6:37/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Great work Krusty. We ended up doing it in Tallaght. Not ideal weather at all; glad it is over. Enjoy the break. See you for more of the same when you're back!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

Today: 19 mile abridged Jack Daniels Session
    I had to give the run in the park a miss, as with the motor racing taking place and an impending flight, the timing was too tight and the risks too great. So headed out from home, with the goal of doing an abridged Jack Daniels session.

4 Mile warm-up @7:39/mile, over the top of a Mine Hill lane
    4 Miles @6:14/mile, over an undulating route that will serve as good practice for DCM.
    1 Mile Tempo @5:45/mile, which was tough but manageable.
    5 Miles @6:16/mile - ironically it felt a little easier after the tempo mile
    1 Mile Tempo @5:56/mile - started with a downhill, but finished with a brief uphill that killed my pace in the hot sunshine, so a little slower than planned. But kept up the pace for an extra 0.5 miles to make up for it.
    4.25 miles warm-down @6:48/mile (includes 0.5 mile of tempo).

Was pretty tired and emotional after this one (so can only imagine how cwgatling, Tunguska and the lads got on in the park with the extra few MP miles tagged on). Didn't bother with any drinks (but had two gels along the way) so I'd lost 5+ pounds by the time I arrived home. So that makes 92 miles for the week (in 6 days) which is a mileage PB for me, and a week of training I'm happy with, before heading away for an easy recovery week.

Summary: 19.25 miles in 2:07, @6:37/mile

Wow, that is a tough session. What recovery were you taking in between the different runs. Are you doing the Frank Duffy?

NiallG4 wrote: »
    Wow, that is a tough session. What recovery were you taking in between the different runs. Are you doing the Frank Duffy?
    No recoveries, just going straight from one to the other (though I did get stuck at traffic lights once or twice towards the end of my run). Nah, sadly no Frank Duffy for me, as I was flying back from holidays in Spain. I've done pretty well in the last two Frank Duffy's so would've loved another pop (though I don't think I'm in 10 mile PB shape), but will probably have to wait until next year (Ballycotton?) for another pop at the 10 mile.

Sunday 19th: 8 mile hot run
    Ok, with 92 miles in the bag by Saturday, I couldn't resist the opportunity to ratchet up an extra 8 miles to make my first ever 100 mile calendar week. But on the first day of my holidays in temperatures of 34-38'C, I figured getting out for 8 miles was going to be a struggle, so planned to split the run into two sections, purely with the ambition of clocking up the miles (junk all the way!). Left the family frolicking in the pool, before being tempted by the cool water and headed out the door. We were staying in a villa 100m up a 450m hill, so route choices in this heat were based on whether I wanted to suffer at the start or at the end of my run. On this occasion I headed out through some countryside vineyards and fruit farms, to the the town of Benitatxell, where the heat had left the streets deserted. The old Moor'ish town with its tall buildings and narrow cobbled streets offered some welcome shade, before I headed out the open sweltering roads towards Teulada.

After 2.5 miles it was time to turn around. I stopped briefly to take a drink from the 500ml water bottle I'd brought with me (now as hot as a cup of tea) and water squeezed from every single pore. Within seconds I was soaked. Stopping wasn't a good idea. Headed back towards Moraira, but with 5 miles in the bag, I figured I'd suffer through the extra 3 miles and get the run done, so I could enjoy some 100 mile week celebratory beer. Down the hill towards Moraira, I drank the last warm dregs of my water before turning for the uphill slog back to the villa. Visions of Boston, Chicago, Cape Town and Berlin marathons flashed before my eyes as the familiar feeling of labouring under a brutal sun returned. First the pins and needles on the skin, then the feeling of being cold, then the sweat dries off and stops. But thankfully on this occasion there were no goals or finish lines, just a few miles to clock up to hit the century, so quite enjoyable despite the strain. The final climb was just unnecessary cruelty, but I was delighted to hit the mark and drink down some cool water, before hitting the pool to drop the temperature.

So, finally a 100 mile calendar week done. No purpose behind it other than vanity and future boasting rights, but it felt great to hit the mark all the same and made the afternoon beer taste all the sweeter.

Summary: 8 miles in 67 mins, @8:23/mile

Monday 20th: 7 mile easy run, in 61 mins, @8:44/mile
    After the previous day's experience, tried to get out a little earlier, but only managed a 10am start, at which point the heat was already in the 30s and climbing. Still, a nice easy run, visiting the beaches in Moraira, before slogging back up the hill in the massive heat.

Tuesday 21st: 5 mile tough hill run, in 48 mins, @9:30/mile
    A really tough slog up to the top of Cumbre Del Sol, with an 1,100+ foot climb over the course of 2.5 miles, in the searing heat, however the spectacular panorama views make it almost worthwhile (some pics that come close to capturing the views (taken by others): Pic1, Pic2). The way back down is just a case of trying to fall gracefully.

Wednesday 22nd: Easy 6.81 miles, in 56 mins, @8:15/mile
    The family drove to the beach and I ran down to join them, taking in a coupe of other beaches along the way. Temperatures up to 35/36'C. Bit of a heatwave, even by Moraira standards.

Thursday 23rd: Easy 6 miles, in 53 mins, @8:57/mile
    A bit of exploring around neighbouring areas, before finding another route up towards Cumbre Del Sol. This time I was (thankfully) denied another slog to the top because of the need to pick up some buddies from the airport. So I made it half way up, before having to pick up the pace back to the house. Temperature: 35'C.

Friday 24th: Easy 4 miles, in 31:44, @7:56/mile
    Just an easy four miles to meet up with friends/family who had driven down to the beach. The warm seas and snorkelling being a perfect remedy for the rising temperatures.

Saturday 25th: Easy/damn hot 10k in 46 mins, @7:28/mile
    On the way back to the airport, stopped by to meet some friends who were holidaying in nearby Guardamar. Took the opportunity to do my run from there, however, the temperature was a whopping 38'C. Was really suprised to glance at the watch at one stage and see a 6:45 mile. Not sure where that came from, perhaps adapting to the heat (just in time to return home), or a strong desire to hit the pool.

A pretty active week. No quality runs, though the aerobic system was challenged by the hills and temperatures, while the legs got a decent rest, so not a bad outcome. Lots of swimming too, but more of the floating/snorkelling paddling variety. Now time to dig-in and get back to normal.

Today: 20 mile easy run
    From Costa Blanca to Costa Dubhlinn. I headed to Dun Laoghaire in the hope of catching sight of the tall ships, but left my long run too late, so could just sight them from afar as they disappeared over the horizon. Suffered a bit on this run, first from dehydration (had to get a drink at mile 16) and then from calf/achilles pain. Still I got some baby hills in and 20 miles, which makes 55 for the week, which is rerspectable enough for a hot holiday week.
    Summary: 20 miles in 2:27, @7:23/mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Glad to see i am not the only one who suffered in the heat earlier in the year running in the heat, It really knocks the crap out of you!! I found about 20secs or so per km slower for same effort, how did you compare Gary?

Glad to see i am not the only one who suffered in the heat earlier in the year running in the heat, It really knocks the crap out of you!! I found about 20secs or so per km slower for same effort, how did you compare Gary?
    Yeah, in those temperatures it would be impossible to sustain the same kind of pace as you would in Ireland, but it was a real kick-back week for me, so I was happy enough to plod around the place without worrying about pace. At Boston marathon they recommended that everyone should run at least a minute slower per mile than their original goal pace, which is pretty much how it worked out for me (50 seconds slower/mile). On holidays, I enjoyed the fact that I was getting a decent cardio workout (stressing heart and lungs) without putting the legs under any pressure, particularly on the tough hills in high heat, where my pace was 11 min/mile on the uphills (not even sure if that's technically running, but it sure as hell felt like hard work!). My calf muscles are bunched though since returning, which I am assuming is down to bad discipline (jumping into the pool instead of stretching after a run, and substantial dehydration due to the high temperatures at night (and no A/C)). So I need to get my calves back in working order this week, before I can pick up the heavy running load again. :(

A bit of a loss of mojo over the last few days, which I'm putting down to extreme tiredness of mind, body and legs. My legs have been feeling completely devoid of energy and as a consequence, the idea of running has been a complete chore, serving more to demoralize me, than offer any kind of training benefit. Without Sean Moncrieff and 'Off The Ball', I don't think I would have bothered at all, but thankfully, I managed to put the head down and keep ticking off the slower miles and I think the legs are finally returning to a little bit of form.

I haven't raced since the 11th August (the Kilomarathon fiasco), which won't have helped (racing seems to lift my spirits and top-up my mojo), so I'm hoping to get a race in this weekend. The national half would seem to be a logical target, but with the legs and mind being a bit mashed, I'm not sure if chasing a half marathon PB is quite the right course of action, particularly as it would likely mean uprooting the entire family for the weekend, or driving the 130 miles on the morning of the race. But I'll defer that decision for a day or two. I need to keep reminding myself that Dublin Marathon is not a goal race, merely a stage on the road to London Marathon in 2013.

Monday: 12 miles, split between a 7.27 mile run in the afternoon @7:51 around a cold and wet Corkagh Marsh, and a 5 mile recovery run @7:54 in the evening, where the highlight was picking up a passport renewal form from the local Garda station (oh the excitement!).

Tuesday: 15 miles, in two runs: An 8.5 mile easy run, where I ran a couple of miles with Keith123, before splitting off for a few quicker miles. Secondly, a ray of hope, when I threw on the spikes in soggy Shangannagh Park after a mile of warm-up and ran 4.5 miles at around 6:42/mile which felt nice and comfortable, before finishing with an easy mile warm-down, to make 6.5 miles @7:00/mile. I was beginning to think that I didn't have another gear, so this helped a little. I hope to get a session done today or tomorrow, so hopefully that will provide the lift needed to get mentally back on track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

5k across the road from you Thurs week also.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    5k across the road from you Thurs week also.
    Didn't realize it was next week. May just have to give that a go...if I can find the place.. Any idea how many water stations there are? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Didn't realize it was next week. May just have to give that a go...if I can find the place.. Any idea how many water stations there are? ;)

I believe there could be some surface water still there next week :D

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I believe there could be some surface water still there next week :D
    Kind of like a water obstacle? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

I haven't raced since the 11th August (the Kilomarathon fiasco), which won't have helped (racing seems to lift my spirits and top-up my mojo), so I'm hoping to get a race in this weekend. The national half would seem to be a logical target, but with the legs and mind being a bit mashed, I'm not sure if chasing a half marathon PB is quite the right course of action, particularly as it would likely mean uprooting the entire family for the weekend, or driving the 130 miles on the morning of the race.

Am going to shamelessly steal your log title and suggest that we need to Send the Clown on a Boards 10k Challenge! There's a BHAA 10k in Firhouse on Saturday week - made for it;)

macinalli wrote: »
    Am going to shamelessly steal your log title and suggest that we need to Send the Clown on a Boards 10k Challenge! There's a BHAA 10k in Firhouse on Saturday week - made for it;)
    No chance! I ran it a couple of years ago and given a choice between this race and the Lakes 10k, I'm headed to the Lakes! Note to self: Must sign up for the Lakes 10k!

Last night: 13.5 miles easy
    Work yesterday was a 9am to 9pm affair, with no break for lunch, so by the time I got home, running a session was off the cards (too dark to be running around broken pavements and dark parks at 5:55/mile), which was a little frustrating. All I wanted to do was sit down and have dinner and a beer, but I threw on my luminous jacket anyway (first outing this year) and headed for the door. Within 5 minutes it was lashing rain and I was frozen. I fought the weather angrily for around 15 minutes, before succumbing to the rain and my mood lifted almost immediately.

A bit of a nostalgia trip, I visited all the schools I had attended as a yoof, dodging left and right through estates where previously I would have been sheltering from the wind (and teachers) with my mates, sharing a cigarette. After the last few days of low-mojo, it was good to find some enjoyment in the run, and by the end of it, the legs were ticking over quite nicely and it was a positive sign that I ran 3.5 miles further than I had planned when I headed out the door.

Summary: 13.6 miles in 1:40, @7:24/mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

you change your mind about the national half?

Today: Jack Daniels Plan A: 8 x 1 Mile @Tempo off 30 seconds rest

I needed a decent session to feel that I was still on track, but not something that would have a significant impact on race potential this weekend (but at the same time, a decent run that would provide some racing stimulus) and the Jack Daniels Plan A (9 weeks out) session seemed to fit the bill.

2 Mile warm-up: took me to the slip-road to Adamstown
    8 x 1 Mile with 30 seconds rest: Target pace 5:55 (optimistic 5:50)
    Actual: 5:40 / 5:48 / 5:48 / 5:48 / 5:49 / 5:47 / 5:47 / 5:49
    2 Mile warm-down back to work

The intervals felt comfortable enough, though the first half of each was into the wind (particularly the 7th and 8th miles), before I turned back and had the wind at my back. Strangely, I was hitting the turn at around 5:40 - 5:45 pace, so running the first half into the wind slightly faster (the process of stopping and turning tail probably costs a few seconds though). In hindsight, this session may have an impact on race performance this weekend (if I race), but it was more important to me to get some kind of session in the bag, which was the root cause of my recent disquiet. Next time I use the word 'mojo' in a training log post, shoot me.

Summary: 12.23 miles in 1:17, @6:18/mile

• Advertisement

you change your mind about the national half?
    Well, it's more about logistics than anything. if it were Waterford, I'd just commute on the morning, but the extra 35 miles just seems so much further away! Unfortunately the other members of my family also have needs (selfish feckers :D), so gymnastics, football matches, and 'real life' may get in the way. I have to add recovery to the mix now also. Are you heading down yourself?

Advertisement