Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Audiophiles' Lounge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Nicholas Jaar - Space Is Only Noise
    U2 - The Joshua Tree
    Michael Jackson - The Essential Michael Jackson
    Nirvana - MTV Unplugged in New York

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Gangpol Und Mit - The 1000 Softcore Tourist People Club

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

My first WOW moment was grado's listening to eva cassidy, I thought she was standing beside me, such clarity.

so if I was to "show off" I would probably use Eva Cassiy's Songbird.

http://grooveshark.com/s/Jolie+Coquine/1S2OPO?src=5 Oh this is another great test track.
    Really good with bass heavy headphones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

puffishoes wrote: »
    My first WOW moment was grado's listening to eva cassidy, I thought she was standing beside me, such clarity.

so if I was to "show off" I would probably use Eva Cassiy's Songbird.

that track gets used very often at hi-fi shows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

In relation to "Groove Shark" is it actually any good?

Also, I love
    The Black Album - Metallica for my Grados
    Illmatic and Stillmatic for my M50s
    Every album ever on my TF10s

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nick Drake - Bryter Later
    The Scientist- The Scientist Rids the world of the curse of the evil vampires
    The Scientist - Dub from the ghetto
    Rhythm & Sound - See Mi Yah
    Killing Joke - For Beginners

marko93 wrote: »
    In relation to "Groove Shark" is it actually any good?

Its generally better than Youtube videos, I can't listen to music on Youtube because it sounds so bad on my headphones.
    I pay for Spotify premium and its worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

PPC wrote: »
    Its generally better than Youtube videos, I can't listen to music on Youtube because it sounds so bad on my headphones.

Can you actually open a spotify subscription in ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

Bambi wrote: »

"legally" no, not yet. it's on the way. there is work arounds tho. not sure they're allowed to be discussed here.

I signed up legally, my http://moneybookers.com/ card has a UK id but the address is in Ireland.
    It had been open in Ireland at the start and a few people signed up with their Irish CC and continue to pay.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

puffishoes wrote: »
    Bambi wrote: »

"legally" no, not yet. it's on the way. there is work arounds tho. not sure they're allowed to be discussed here.

I doubt there'd be any issue with that kind of discussion, you're not gonna be breaking any laws right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I see some "targeted" advertising in the bottom right of this thread. Beats for only $9.99! Bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ceremonials (Florence & The Machine)
    Moderat (Moderat)
    Inception OST
    Tron Legacy OST
    Who Will Remain Standing (Melophobia)
    θcomplex3 -eYecandy vs. θcomplex- (θ complex)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Another +1 for Spotify - brilliant service. There are other services like We7 - but Spotify top class.

I have a US account - works out even cheaper.

You need an US Ip address to start off - a verified (that's the tricky bit) US paypal account. A US iTunes account to get the iphone and ipad app (if you are Apple inclined).

Bit once you're in you're in.

Same speakers as I have -- http://www.adverts.ie/speakers/m-audio-studiophile-bx5a-deluxe/1949775

No idea why he has them set up horizontally though!

Brian wrote: »
    Same speakers as I have -- http://www.adverts.ie/speakers/m-audio-studiophile-bx5a-deluxe/1949775

No idea why he has them set up horizontally though!
    Wonder what the difference between them and my 2010s is. Hmmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Definitely better than youtube. I have a third party Grooveshark downloader and the quality is a lot better than youtube rips.

Quality on Grooveshark is uploader-dependent, but generally it is better than youtube, yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Oh, an audiophiles lounge! My equipment wouldn't be quite top notch but relatively happy with the collection I'm building. Bought a set of Kef Q300 bookshelf speakers a few months ago, really loving them - found them a bit heavy on bass so had to plug them with the supplied foam. Need to replace my amp (Marantz PM4400) though and plan to do that in the coming months - I had an amp I was happy with but only one channel working, maybe I should see about repair... its a Marantz PM7200 and for a while it would drop one channel and if I switched it on & off it would work again, a while ago thought that trick stopped so now its just one channel.

A current favourite for listening on headphones (HD650s) is 'Souvlaki' by Slowdive, great album.

On the move I'm really enjoying the latest Actress album 'RIP' on my IE8s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Need to replace my amp (Marantz PM4400) though and plan to do that in the coming months - I had an amp I was happy with but only one channel working, maybe I should see about repair... its a Marantz PM7200 and for a while it would drop one channel and if I switched it on & off it would work again, a while ago thought that trick stopped so now its just one channel.

That could be just a problem with the controls getting a bit dirty over the years, I've had a couple of amps do that & often they can be brought back to life by spraying some switch cleaner (Having Switched OFF the Amp & Plugged it out!) into the top of the balance dial & turning it left & right a few times before leaving it to dry for a while.

Looking at Head-Fi for the majority of the day just makes me depressed :(

Have a fairly modest setup (well by "audiophile" standards anyway lol!) myself but it manages to produce a pretty good sound & anyone who's heard it has been impressed by how well it works.

Hifi consists of a Nad 302 amp, Marantz CD 63ki CD player, a Sony ST SE500 Tuner & a Thorens TD 150 mkII Turntable. Speakers are seriously vintage - B&W DM1s, one of the first speakers the company produced for the home user in the late 60s.

As for headphones, again nothing too earth shatteringly expensive. I alternate between Goldring DR100s & Superlux HD668bs, through a Bravo Audio Ocean (cool little valve amp that sounds impressively good for its' low price point, especially after I swapped the stock tube for a vintage Tungsram) when listening to the hifi, or for use with the computer, a Fiio E10 which is great if your soundcard isn't particularly high grade.

In terms of music which shows them at their best I reckon the Goldrings sound best with rock music, currently listening to the Black Album through them & it's feckin' magnificent, they sound really punchy & forward with anything hard & fast - RATM, Guns & Roses, Nirvana, etc. The Superlux don't have the same feeling of energy when you listen to them but their level of detail is far better & they don't suffer from the occasional harshness to which the Goldrings can be prone, particularly with brass high notes, basically masters of jazz & classical. Perfect tracks for the Goldrings would be "And Justice For All" by Metallica, "Vietnow" by RATM & "Kashmir" by Led Zepellin. For the Superlux good ones would be "Boogie Stop Shuffle" by Charles Mingus, "Meeting of The Spirits" by The Mahavishnu Orchestra & pretty much any section from Holsts' "The Planets".

Custardpi wrote: »

As for headphones, again nothing too earth shatteringly expensive. I alternate between Goldring DR100s & Superlux HD668bs.

Tell me, how are the 668bs, wanted to try them for quite a bit.

Wouldn't be an expert or anything in describing headphones but to my ears they sound fantastic for the money (cost €45 on Thomann incl. postage). As I said above the sound is very detailed & pretty neutral. They give a great sense of space & are very good at instrument placement if you know what I mean. They don't have the same "oomph" as the Goldrings, not really sure how to explain it but I can't seem to rock out to the same extent with them. For jazz however they are absolutely perfect - really capturing the decay of a cymbal or double bass string & making piano sound incredibly life-like.

They're not perfect however. Despite having a very good seal (they're labelled as "semi-open" bizarrely, not sure what the agreed definition of that is) which would make them great as phones to use out & about the build quality & overall bulkiness means I'd be reluctant to use them in a portable setting. In addition the clamping force, at least to start out with is ridiculously strong. I don't have a very big head (well, not physically ha ha!) but the first time I put them on it actually hurt a bit after wearing them for a few minutes. To solve this I got the thickest book I could find & put them on it for a couple of weeks before wearing them again. That seems to have stretched them out a bit & they're now fairly comfortable.

With these minor limitations taken into account they're fantastic phones & definitely worth a try. I'm sure people with more discerning ears than my humble lugs could find other flaws with them but I reckon at their price point you'd struggle to do better overall.

They are semi open because they have small vents on the back.

superlux_668_5.jpg

Unlike eg AD700s which have their entire back open for air movement.

35e73636_AD700.png

Brian wrote: »
    They are semi open because they have small vents on the back.

Unlike eg AD700s which have their entire back open for air movement.

Thanks, that's a good explanation. I always assumed that the whole "open/semi-open, etc thing referred to how well they isolated , so that stuff like Grados would be completely "open" since they apparently leak loads. Feel quite silly now! :o

I agree that the HD668B do isolate quite well though.

• Advertisement

Custardpi wrote: »

Wouldn't be an expert or anything in describing headphones but to my ears they sound fantastic for the money (cost €45 on Thomann incl. postage). As I said above the sound is very detailed & pretty neutral. They give a great sense of space & are very good at instrument placement if you know what I mean. They don't have the same "oomph" as the Goldrings, not really sure how to explain it but I can't seem to rock out to the same extent with them. For jazz however they are absolutely perfect - really capturing the decay of a cymbal or double bass string & making piano sound incredibly life-like.

They're not perfect however. Despite having a very good seal (they're labelled as "semi-open" bizarrely, not sure what the agreed definition of that is) which would make them great as phones to use out & about the build quality & overall bulkiness means I'd be reluctant to use them in a portable setting. In addition the clamping force, at least to start out with is ridiculously strong. I don't have a very big head (well, not physically ha ha!) but the first time I put them on it actually hurt a bit after wearing them for a few minutes. To solve this I got the thickest book I could find & put them on it for a couple of weeks before wearing them again. That seems to have stretched them out a bit & they're now fairly comfortable.

With these minor limitations taken into account they're fantastic phones & definitely worth a try. I'm sure people with more discerning ears than my humble lugs could find other flaws with them but I reckon at their price point you'd struggle to do better overall.
    Thank you for that! Really tempted by these :P

Advertisement