Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Audiophiles' Lounge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

PPC wrote: »
    Neutral~cold and very detailed, you can often hear the dull plastic of the pick plucking guitar strings they're so detailed.
    My other headphones are a bit heavier on the bass, so its kind of refreshing having something so flat.

The custom tips have amazing isolation, once music is on i can't hear much of the outside world except ambulance sirens.

Hmmmm, are they still fun to use? The last thing I want is a set that don't bring the music to life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

marko93 wrote: »
    Hmmmm, are they still fun to use? The last thing I want is a set that don't bring the music to life!

Yes and no, depends on what you like.
    I really enjoy hearing the analytical sound of them, but the lack of bass might make them a little less fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Yes and no, depends on what you like.
    I really enjoy hearing the analytical sound of them, but the lack of bass might make them a little less fun.

Surely that's nothing a bit of fiddling with the EQ controls couldn't solve.

Custardpi wrote: »
    Surely that's nothing a bit of fiddling with the EQ controls couldn't solve.

Probably could, but it kind of ruins the point of them then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Consider http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=14 and http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=13
    Very neat little setup, looks beautiful, punches way above its weight for the price and should last for years.

I have my PC. Once I pay off what I borrowed to buy it ahead of schedule then both of these will be top of my agenda.

Few problems with sound on it. The front headphone jack is unusable with noise and interference. There is a little bit of buzz on the motherboard jack but not really noticeable when I'm playing music.

+1 on Foobar. It is a bit of a pain to get it set up just how you want it - the plugins for ripping FLAC/MP3, etc have to be installed separately for instance. However, once you start playing around with all the different modifications that can be made to it it's a really fun programme to use. Try plugins like Spitfish (for moderating sibilance on recordings) & the Dynamic Range Analyser (to see how badly your files are affected by the "Loudness War") or any of the many others available.

How do I get around it being so awkward to use?

Like ripping to a folder it creates itself for the band name and then album in a sub forum rather than having to set it yourself beforehand? That and having a library that's is actually usable.

Any advice would be very welcome. I managed to rip one cd but it was rather a pain in the behind and I have 600+ more to do . . .

When I used it I had it set up as

Artist Name - Album

Then pop in the CD and away I went, no hassle at all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Morf wrote: »
    How do I get around it being so awkward to use?

Like ripping to a folder it creates itself for the band name and then album in a sub forum rather than having to set it yourself beforehand? That and having a library that's is actually usable.

Any advice would be very welcome. I managed to rip one cd but it was rather a pain in the behind and I have 600+ more to do . . .

Handiest thing to do is google this kind of stuff to figure out exactly what it is you want to do, there'll be plenty of setup instructions out there.

When I ripped CD's using foobar it was fairly straightforward, I just set-up my directory/filename structure [%album artist% / %album% / %tracknumber% - %title%] (or something like that :P) and then the format I wanted to output.... then came the PITA of inserting all those CD's and reclicking rip cd over and over and over :P

The skins I tried to install failed completely or half-changed the layout.

It's ok for the moment to just rip cds but I might get back on here when I'm done looking for a suggested skin.

Guess this is a legit question for this thread, what are some of your guys/ladyguys favorite albums?

• Advertisement

RAM was an excellent album! Never listened to Nirvana.. Don't beat me :o

EDIT: Currently listening to Nevermind... jesus, how did I skip over Nirvana? Gonna try MTV Unplugged later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Unplugged in NYC is fantastic. Lake of Fire is a stand out track for me. This is fun, too:

S500s stuck in customs! Darn.

Brian wrote: »

S500s stuck in customs! Darn.

Damn! Hope you get um soon! They are fun little things and the more I use them the more I love them!

Well, they're not for me anyway. To replace a friend's pair of "fake" ebay MDR-V6s that broke. Honestly I don't know how "fake" they were, they sounded really good to me. Perhaps an unofficial run.

On the HE-400 front, put my name down for some Modulor production Jergpads and might try to make one of GREQ's floating headbands...

Well, they're not for me anyway. To replace a friend's pair of "fake" ebay MDR-V6s that broke. Honestly I don't know how "fake" they were, they sounded really good to me. Perhaps an unofficial run.

On the HE-400 front, put my name down for some Modulor production Jergpads and might try to make one of GREQ's floating headbands...

Those Jergpads looks crazy. How much will they set you back?

Actually, how are the HE-400s? What have ye got powering them?

Would you consider them almost end game for you or do they leave you wanting more?

Those Jergpads looks crazy. How much will they set you back?
    Don't have a price, but I would guess maybe €20-30. The materials are pretty cheap.
    Actually, how are the HE-400s? What have ye got powering them?
    They're great. Always looking for improvements though. Considering the regrilling mod as well. Powered by an Aune T1.

Don't have a price, but I would guess maybe €20-30. The materials are pretty cheap.

They're great. Always looking for improvements though. Considering the regrilling mod as well. Powered by an Aune T1.

The headband mod looks sweet as. Definitely something I'd do if I could afford them :P

T1 looks sweet, how much did it set you back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Finally got a new job :)

PPC is trying to steer me towards Sennheiser HD-25-ii, but somehow I want to buy Skullcandy SLYR instead... :pac:

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I want to buy Skullcandy SLYR instead... :pac:

No.

T1 looks sweet, how much did it set you back?

Around ... €140 I think. From the rockgrotto forum.

Finally got a new job :)

PPC is trying to steer me towards Sennheiser HD-25-ii, but somehow I want to buy Skullcandy SLYR instead... :pac:

Apparently they're actually decent... still rather Hd25s though.

While not headphones, I just purchased a http://www.whathifi.com/review/sony-str-dn1040 to go with my Monitor Audio RX6 AV12 setup.
    My http://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/products/tx-nr609-35517.html died at the weekend (I think it heard I was planning to upgrade to the Sony), I was planning on selling it in a few months any, just going to have to wait until its repaired by Onkyo now.

Oh god, I want one. Really want to try Mad Dogs as well. Doubt my C&C BH would do to well :(

• Advertisement

Btw if any of you guys want to try the Sennheiser HD 25 pads on your new JVC S500s, I ordered a pair from custom-cable.co.uk which was about €12 including parcel motel.

900x900px-LL-7592f8a5_TWP_7478.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Btw if any of you guys want to try the Sennheiser HD 25 pads on your new JVC S500s, I ordered a pair from custom-cable.co.uk which was about €12 including parcel motel.

how does it affects the sound?

I did cork mod on my pair - bass is more cotrolled, really like the sound now

According to the S500 thread on head-fi, pads have quite an impact on the sound and comfort of this pair. The sennheisers as well as the Audio Technica ESW9 pads seem to be the most recommended. But the thread is about 500 pages long so I could be wrong :p

That looks glorious

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Where does one buy an ODAC from? Mobile browsing is hard :P

Edit: S'alright, got there in the end :P

• Advertisement

According to the S500 thread on head-fi, pads have quite an impact on the sound and comfort of this pair. The sennheisers as well as the Audio Technica ESW9 pads seem to be the most recommended. But the thread is about 500 pages long so I could be wrong :p

I'm using esw9 leather pads on my es700 - quality stuff but kind of expensive_ they cost as much as HAS500. I moved the original es700 pads onto jvc, the comfort improved a bit

Where does one buy an ODAC from? Mobile browsing is hard :P

Edit: S'alright, got there in the end :P

What set up you going for?

I have a few questions about foobar2000.

I've ripped all my cds as .flac now I'm looking to get foobar sorted. It half installed a new skin. It's really hard to use at the moment to play music.

Could anyone suggest a skin they use and how to install it please?

I've looked up skins and I've seen about 3 or 4 different methods to do it (none have worked properly for me so far).

I'm running Windows 8.

Much appreciated.

Mine is basic and boring, but fast to run. I need to tweak it, but i'll leave that til i reinstall win7 over lubuntu (a nice OS for this ****ty netbook, but just a bit too much effort to get things working right)

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it's much better now.

Still annoying that you can't select something and "play" it.

You have to add it to the playlist and then click the play button.

Pretty awkward.

You can hit Return.

Morf wrote: »
    I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it's much better now.

Still annoying that you can't select something and "play" it.

You have to add it to the playlist and then click the play button.

Pretty awkward.

Have you "library viewer selection" enabled?

Ok, I'm 99% certain I'm gonna forgo all my other ideas and buy the new RHA MA-600i.

Because they look cool :p

Ok, I'm 99% certain I'm gonna forgo all my other ideas and buy the new RHA MA-600i.

Because they look cool :p

85e.gif

Folks, do you think this is too much? I mean are the capacitors to big?

CIMG0240.jpg

This is my diyMod with Nichicon Muse BiPolars and Kemet film as bypass caps. The sound is unbelievable.

• Advertisement

85e.gif
    I read good things about the RHA 350i, and the 600 only came out this week.

RHA_MA600i_MA750i-01-pplware-560x261.jpg

My ODAC arrived yesterday, I'm very happy with it :)

On the topic of foobar, recently installed win7 on my netbook which meant a fresh install of foobar and am currently changing a few of the app defaults to my preferred default settings so while I'm at it can anyone recommend an album art fetcher plug-in?

... so Apple Ear Pods are actually decent.

... so Apple Ear Pods are actually decent.

They are actually fairly good indeed! Only gripe with them is isolation!

They are actually fairly good indeed! Only gripe with them is isolation!

Yup, kinda getting a little with some foam, but getting Earskinz later.

All told though, they're decent enough for a bus-trip set, so I'll save up for a *real* audiophile set instead of buying whatever I was buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

On the topic of foobar, recently installed win7 on my netbook which meant a fresh install of foobar and am currently changing a few of the app defaults to my preferred default settings so while I'm at it can anyone recommend an album art fetcher plug-in?

Why on earth would you want that? :confused: Sourcing album cover pics yourself, formatting them to the desired size & then embedding them is all part of the fun!

Why on earth would you want that? :confused: Sourcing album cover pics yourself, formatting them to the desired size & then embedding them is all part of the fun!

I do not think it means what you think it means

TF10 cable arrived, wow, that's a lot less bass then I'm used to o.o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

for some reason by Shure e10's just started working again today, bizarre but delighted

Advertisement