Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian Sports Pundit Complaining Ireland are not part of TeamGB

• 08-08-2012 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I'd like to draw ye're attention to this ignorant Australian Sports Pundit by the name of Russell Barwick who finds it ridiculous that Ireland compete independently instead of for Great Britian , Just want to get ye're opinion on this.

http://www.espn.co.uk/londonolympics2012/sport/video_audio/164014.html skip to 4minutes in to hear his rant.

The reasons he gives are as follows:

1. Only half of Ireland hates the British
    2. The Irish play for the British (and Irish) Lions
    3. They also play in the Six Nations
    4. It’s like a Hawaiian surfer claiming he is not from the United States.

My Opinion is that he's an Uneducated and Ignorant idiot.

If anybody would like to abuse/educate him his twitter is @<snip>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

cotterman2 wrote: »

Thats Autralians for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

Who is that guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭Tefral

The saying "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone see that article about Katie Taylors win in one oz paper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone see that article about Katie Taylors win in one oz paper?

No, do tell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭amacca

If anybody would like to abuse/educate him his twitter is @<snip>

meh.....the give him enough rope and he'll hang himself strategy could be best here

massage his ego.......send soothing ego boosting tweets all the while letting his own ignorance become a potential sword of damocles timebomb hanging just above his head

Also, why don't Team GB join Team Ireland?! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Suffering from a case of "head stuck up own arse syndrome"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I bet he wished NZ was part of Australia considering all the medals they've won.

No, do tell

Here ya go........

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0807/breaking41.html
    The article, originally headlined “Punch Drunk: Ireland intoxicated as Taylor swings towards boxing gold”, was published on The Age, Sydney Morning Herald and the Brisbane Times websites this morning.
    “For centuries, Guinness and whiskey have sent the Irish off their heads. Now all it takes is a petite 26-year-old from Wicklow,” the opening paragraph read.
    “Dark-haired, deep-eyed and engaging, Taylor is not what you’d expect in a fighting Irishwoman, nor is she surrounded by people who’d prefer a punch to a potato,” it continued.
    The article was amended and the headline changed after Fairfax Media received a letter of complaint from Noel White, the Irish Ambassador to Australia and New Zealand.

• Advertisement

Gee Bag wrote: »

Sure what would they know, the bunch of criminals! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Would make more sense for Australia to join Team GB, given that their nation was created to house the overspill of British criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

In the immortal words of Alf Stewart, this reporter is a flamin' gallah. Has foot and mouth disease just hit down under?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I bet he wished NZ was part of Australia considering all the medals they've won.

Somebody thought of that.

aus_zealand_medal_table_2_3_4_N2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Shatstand

I've had a look at his Twitter, and not to beat around the bush, but he appears to be mentally retarded.

I loved the fact one Aussie newspaper, possibly the same one as above referred to the Koreas as "Nice Korea" and "Naughty Korea" ! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Also, why don't Team GB join Team Ireland?! :p

Cos they'd all get sick and win no medals.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

No, do tell
    +1, but guessing, "Because, cobbers, her old man speaks with a kinda pommie accent, she's from place in the Irish out-back called Wicklah and her brother is a doctor who teaches sums in some obscure Protestant university school, she's really an English Shelia masquerading as an Irish bird. Throw another tinny on the barbie there , Bluey maite." (note the rising pitch as each sentence is spoken and the high inflection as the sentences finish implying a question. This is often referred to as the antipodean interrogative, although Australians can't say words like "Protestant", "antipodean", "interrogative" and "masquerading", let alone understand them.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Imbicile. I don't see him complaining now they have their independence from Germany and they can compete under their own flag. Simpletons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Imbicile. I don't see him complaining now they have their independence from Germany and they can compete under their own flag. Simpletons.
    Brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Give him the boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Just left a nice degrading message on his twitter thank you very much !!

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Shatstand wrote: »
    I've had a look at his Twitter, and not to beat around the bush, but he appears to be mentally retarded.

Ha, to be fair you did anything but beat around the bush :):) he's a flamin mongrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

The Aussies are a nation of trolls, always putting their foot in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I hope gravity fails and they fall off the Earth:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Shatstand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Dr.Broccoli

Why would someone care what this guy thinks? He's one journalist or whatever he is in the world. I could be a journalist and say Australia should be part of New Zealand. It doesn't matter really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ah the Barwicks.

We kicked his ancestors out of Ireland for sheep stealing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Can't beat a bit of Irish commentary

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=510_1344196881

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Yeah, thanks for linking OP and bringing this to our collective attention. This is definately something that everybody needs to get riled up about.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cotterman2

Why would someone care what this guy thinks? He's one journalist or whatever he is in the world. I could be a journalist and say Australia should be part of New Zealand. It doesn't matter really.
    His stupid opinion might brush off on others and before we know it the whole of Australia becomes stupid like him, I know that's not likely but I would prefer people to think highly of Ireland instead of talking down and patronizing us which often happens.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ah the Barwicks.

We kicked his ancestors out of Ireland for sheep stealing molestation

Apparently he now likes inappropriatley touching kangaroos and rimming wombats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I can understand it being confusing for some people. They may think they have a vague grasp of it then they see an all ireland rugby team, a british & irish lions team playing together etc. Most wouldn't be interested enough though to give it much thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Flaming drongo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

dirty bunch of loaf robbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭markc1184

His name is ringing a bell with me! Did he say something silly about Ireland during the rugby World Cup too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Australians tend to be the most uneducated people I've ever met, and I'm from limerick...

When I was over there, they were certain Ireland was Part of England, which I had to tell them no, that we were a independent state. But there knowledge of the world was fairly scary, like not knowing the basics of the second world war...well it was more like incorrect knowledge of WWII...

Australia is a strange place, glad I've experienced it TBH, just makes me realize that we ain't got it all that bad here(a side from the jobs thing)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

None of this surprises me from them Aussies, without doubt the most ignorant and racist western nation in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

mathepac wrote: »
    This is often referred to as the antipodean interrogative, although Australians can't say words like "Protestant", "antipodean", "interrogative" and "masquerading", let alone understand them.)
    Though I love when they say words like 'serendipity'.

'Sirrendippadee'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

http://static.stuff.co.nz/1344235888/662/7425662.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I'd sit him down (and buy him a few pints) then tell lads in the bar what he said.....

Naturally all the ones going off for a job in the next couple of months...

See what he writes then. If he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Millicent wrote: »
    Flaming drongo.
    Strewth, it would make ya chunder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

He's clearly taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

How can someone this thick work for ESPN ? Just another Aussie bogan , oz
    have the British flag on their flag he probably thinks he is British aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Would make more sense for Australia to join Team GB, given that their nation was created to house the overspill of British criminals.
    And considering Australia still have the British flag on their flag wouldn't it make more sense for them to compete together, not us? Mental!
    Shatstand wrote: »

+1. I left an abusive message all the same! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

That show has being running throughout the games, its only a bit of craic, I wouldn't take offence. Barwick plays up to the 'thick' Aussie stereotype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,629 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The reasons he gives are as follows:

1. Only half of Ireland hates the British
    2. The Irish play for the British (and Irish) Lions
    3. They also play in the Six Nations
    4. It’s like a Hawaiian surfer claiming he is not from the United States.

1. Only half of Britain hates the Germans - does this make them Nazis?
    2. Emphasis on the "and Irish" bit. As I believe they are officially called.
    3. Key words there being "six" and "nations". As in not one. Also, France and Italy play in the Six Nations as well...
    4. Politically, he is American. Culturally, the DJ is wrong.

Still, these Kiwis, eh...? :rolleyes:

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

How can someone this thick work for ESPN ? Just another Aussie bogan , oz
    have the British flag on their flag he probably thinks he is British aswell.

Well as i said to Belfast born Gerard Clark when i worked with him in Cork (the langer who fell asleep while doing the Tiger Raid on the O'Donovans back around 2003 and also convicted IRA member)

"I would much Rather the English in the top corner of my Flag than the top corner of my country" :D

I still laugh about that one, langer.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cotterman2

Hey OP again, just been looking at Mark Chapman's twitter (the guy who is sitting with the idiot) and he has replied to peoples tweets regarding the comments and he agrees that they are idiotic and has vowed not to work with him again, In fairness he did try a bit to defend Ireland and I'm glad he has taken a stand, Hoorraay :D

Respect to @markchapman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

mathepac wrote: »
    Australians can't say words like "Protestant", "antipodean", "interrogative" and "masquerading", let alone understand them.

Oi, mate, keep it clean. No one wants to hear about yer filthy masquerading.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement