Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Mock Draft Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

TO, was that on auto draft? Wouldn't be mad about Best or Williams to be honest.

I don't think I'll be around tonight so feel free to boot 4thandforever if space is needed.

If not I'll try setting a draft board and see what sort of team I end up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I'm not around tonight either, so boot me out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

adrian522 wrote: »
    TO, was that on auto draft? Wouldn't be mad about Best or Williams to be honest.

I don't think I'll be around tonight so feel free to boot 4thandforever if space is needed.

If not I'll try setting a draft board and see what sort of team I end up with.

1st 3 picks were all me then I set a draft order to finish it out. Not a bad draft.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What do you think of this team? It wad my first effort with a auction draft. The number indicates the amount spent on each player.
    Total budget was 200

QB Matthew Stafford 52
    RB Ahmad Bradshaw 18
    RB Isaac Redman 9
    WR A.J. Green 31
    WR Steve Johnson 15
    TE Jimmy Graham 36
    FLEX Jeremy Maclin 15
    D/ST Giants D/ST 1
    K Robbie Gould 1
    BE Eric Decker 9
    BE C.J. Spiller 8
    BE Kevin Smith 1
    BE Mario Manningham 1
    BE Jacob Tamme 1
    BE Ryan Williams 1
    BE Kendall Wright 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

What do you think of this team? It wad my first effort with a auction draft. The number indicates the amount spent on each player.
    Total budget was 200

QB Matthew Stafford 52
    RB Ahmad Bradshaw 18
    RB Isaac Redman 9
    WR A.J. Green 31
    WR Steve Johnson 15
    TE Jimmy Graham 36
    FLEX Jeremy Maclin 15
    D/ST Giants D/ST 1
    K Robbie Gould 1
    BE Eric Decker 9
    BE C.J. Spiller 8
    BE Kevin Smith 1
    BE Mario Manningham 1
    BE Jacob Tamme 1
    BE Ryan Williams 1
    BE Kendall Wright 1

Maclin at 15 bucks would be sensational value imo, you did very well on that one. Would be a nice team to enter a league with - but no backup QB?

• Advertisement

Total budget was 200

QB Matthew Stafford 52
    RB Ahmad Bradshaw 18
    RB Isaac Redman 9
    WR A.J. Green 31
    WR Steve Johnson 15
    TE Jimmy Graham 36
    FLEX Jeremy Maclin 15
    D/ST Giants D/ST 1
    K Robbie Gould 1
    BE Eric Decker 9
    BE C.J. Spiller 8
    BE Kevin Smith 1
    BE Mario Manningham 1
    BE Jacob Tamme 1
    BE Ryan Williams 1
    BE Kendall Wright 1

You spent way too much money and if you get injuries you are fooked. My biggest mistake playing auction leagues for the first time was doing the same thing. Auction leagues are won by guys who are able to dabble on the free agency because they didn't blow their budget in the draft. If we get another NFL season like last season the odds suggest that you will run into roster problems. Food for thought :D

Do you keep unspent money for FA?

This my second attempt, this time determined not to blow the budget too early:

QB Eli Manning 29
    RB Steven Jackson 21
    RB Ahmad Bradshaw 18
    WR Hakeem Nicks 32
    WR Brandon Lloyd 13
    TE Jermichael Finley 6
    FLEX Roy Helu 14
    D/ST 49ers D/ST 1
    K David Akers 1
    BE BenJarvus Green-Ellis 13
    BE Steve Johnson 15
    BE Doug Martin 6
    BE Michael Bush 8
    BE Aaron Hernandez 4
    BE Doug Baldwin 1
    BE Donald Brown 2
    Total: 184
    Remaining: 16

Brady went for 47, might have been a better option than Manning. I still have no backup QB, tohugh I have to say I enjoy the Auction format, just need to come up with a decent strategy.

Depends on the league but for the most part yup. Some leagues give you an extra 100m but it all depends on the GM who created. Anyone who knows FF will make you spend your left over cash to make it more competitive. It then punishes those idiots who drive up prices in the auction.

QB Eli Manning 29
    RB Steven Jackson 21
    RB Ahmad Bradshaw 18
    WR Hakeem Nicks 32
    WR Brandon Lloyd 13
    TE Jermichael Finley 6
    FLEX Roy Helu 14
    D/ST 49ers D/ST 1
    K David Akers 1
    BE Steve Johnson 15
    BE Doug Martin 6
    BE Michael Bush 8
    BE Aaron Hernandez 4
    BE Doug Baldwin 1
    BE Donald Brown 2

Brady went for 47, might have been a better option than Manning. I still have no backup QB, tohugh I have to say I enjoy the Auction format, just need to come up with a decent strategy.

Getting Lloyd, Finley, Hernandez and Martin for 29 bucks is very good going. How many teams are in these mocks you're doing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

anyone in the mock tonight ? Think there's only 2 of us online atm !

• Advertisement

anyone in the mock tonight ? Think there's only 2 of us online atm !

Just joined. Quiet night in so may aswell! Ugh, #2 pick :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Spot 11 tonight. Good change. CJ1.2Ks spot, no way do I trust him, I like Fitz here. Or Gronk.

Just joined. Quiet night in so may aswell! Ugh, #2 pick :(

had no.1 in a 20 team draft last night, the wait was unbearable as was the quality of players available for my 2nd pick !

that was such a waste of time :(

Picking 2nd overall tonight.

6(95). Jay Cutler

1(2). LeSean McCoy
    4(63). Stevan Ridley
    7(98). Ben Tate
    11(162). Daniel Thomas

2(31). Brandon Marshall
    3(34). Jordy Nelson
    5(66). Eric Decker
    8(127). Jon Baldwin
    12(191). Jerome Simpson
    13(194). Randall Cobb

9(130). Kyle Rudolph
    10(159). Jermaine Gresham

14(223). Robbie Gould

15(226). Minnesota Vikings Def/ST

So I completely forgot to draft a backup QB, but anyway. Would be happy with that depth, and while the Vikings Def/ST might look dodgy, I always play that on a week to week basis from waivers, and with Harvin on special teams and the Jaguars in Week 1, I think Vikings are a good pick.

Here's my draft for today (picking 11 of course), most don't need explaining except for Mendenhall, who is a depth pick, and I wouldn't be using him before week 10 anyway hopefully. Vincent Brown and Eddie Royal are 2 players, one of whom I fancy to break out because Rivers is throwing to them.

1. Rob Gronkowski
    2. DeMarco Murray
    3. Fred Jackson
    4. Philip Rivers
    5. Antonio Brown
    6. Darrius Heyward-Bey
    7. Mike Williams
    8. Sebastien Janikowski
    9. Donald Brown
    10. Rashard Mendenhall
    11. Brandon LaFell
    12. Christian Ponder
    13. Panthers defense
    14. Vincent Brown
    15. Eddie Royal

I don't understand the point of not drafting a defense and kicker with your two last picks. If you draft all position players then your going to have to drop 2 for the week anyway.

1. PICK 12 Chris Johnson RB - TEN
    2. PICK 21 Trent Richardson RB - CLE
    3. PICK 44 Brandon Lloyd WR - NE
    4. PICK 53 Vernon Davis TE - SF
    5. PICK 76 Kenny Britt WR - TEN
    6. PICK 85 James Starks RB - GB
    7. PICK 108 Kendall Wright WR - TEN
    8. PICK 117 Andrew Luck QB - IND
    9. PICK 140 Doug Baldwin WR - SEA
    10.PICK 149 Greg Olsen TE - CAR
    11.PICK 172 Alex Smith QB - SF
    12.PICK 181 Steve Breaston WR - KC
    13.PICK 204 Lamar Miller RB - MIA
    14.PICK 213 Josh Scobee K - JAC
    15.PICK 236 Cincinnati Bengals DEF

QB Eli Manning 29
    RB Steven Jackson 21
    RB Ahmad Bradshaw 18
    WR Hakeem Nicks 32
    WR Brandon Lloyd 13
    TE Jermichael Finley 6
    FLEX Roy Helu 14
    D/ST 49ers D/ST 1
    K David Akers 1
    BE Steve Johnson 15
    BE Doug Martin 6
    BE Michael Bush 8
    BE Aaron Hernandez 4
    BE Doug Baldwin 1
    BE Donald Brown 2

Getting Lloyd, Finley, Hernandez and Martin for 29 bucks is very good going. How many teams are in these mocks you're doing?

I think they are 12 team leagues but there are always a few on auto pick.

1. PICK 12 Chris Johnson RB - TEN
    I don't think he'll come back but clearly you do.
    2. PICK 21 Trent Richardson RB - CLE
    Nice pick.
    3. PICK 44 Brandon Lloyd WR - NE
    4. PICK 53 Vernon Davis TE - SF
    Ditto.
    5. PICK 76 Kenny Britt WR - TEN
    No need to say anything.
    6. PICK 85 James Starks RB - GB
    A starter at RB, good depth at 85.
    8. PICK 117 Andrew Luck QB - IND
    I wouldn't want him starting, I don't think Chuck Pagano will give him enough opportunities.
    9. PICK 140 Doug Baldwin WR - SEA
    10.PICK 149 Greg Olsen TE - CAR
    2 great picks.
    Meh.

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    I don't think he'll come back but clearly you do.

I clearly nothing and dont think anything about Johnson. I dont take Mock Drafts serious and they generally have no reflection on how I pick. Everytime I pick in a mock I jot it down as a scenario of what to do and what not to do. Its also good to see where people lean when certain guys are taken off the board. Just like a pre-season friendly I give nothing away and use it to scout. Besides Mocks are all about What ifs for me its that simple.

I wouldn't want him starting, I don't think Chuck Pagano will give him enough opportunities.

Colts run game will suck cock and they will have to go to the air to get anything done. Luck will see plenty of action.

But hey thank you for picking my mock out and giving your opinion I look forward to your opinion on everyone else's.

6(95). Jay Cutler
    Love it. If you get that in the real thing it will be the value pick of the draft.
    1(2). LeSean McCoy
    I can see no reason why he would slow down, I think it should be him or Rice vying for the number one pick.

2(31). Brandon Marshall
    You're not the only one to be in love with Cutler-Marshall. It's amazing what Cutler did without a good receiver, and what Marshall did without a QB like Cutler, so it should be a great fantasy combo reunited.
    3(34). Jordy Nelson
    13(194). Randall Cobb
    Can't go wrong with Packers receivers.
    5(66). Eric Decker
    I really hope I can pick him.
    CoachTO wrote: »
    But hey thank you for picking my mock out and giving your opinion I look forward to your opinion on everyone else's.

I figured I'm only posting them here to get opinions on my picks and figured I can't expect opinions if I don't give them. It's the best way to discuss fantasy prospects. Your draft was eye-catching though.

Meh.

Alex Smith was 16th best QB in Fantasy last season. He had a worse WR corp last year than this coming season and the 49ers liked to run the ball. Not a bad QB to have on the books to backup Luck or start ahead of Luck.

Im going to pick out this though. You say meh but you are forgetting if Bowe holds out Breaston is now number 1 and has shown that he can catch footballs with sh1t QBs throwing to him Cassel can and will get footballs to him. Besides he is still not a bad number 2 if Bowe does eventually sign.

Miller is one of those rookies you grab and dump in the first couple of days after drafting this early and replace him with another rookie or backup player.

Scobee is a solid kicker and get in and around the avg 10 points kickers are expected to get every week so you say meh I say there are 20 kickers in Fantasy that will get you the minimum points expected Scobee being one of them.

Bengals defense is not bad for a last pick. Considering all the Top D's are gone I dont feel defenses get enough consistent points every week to warrant anything other than a last pick.

But again I thank you for your breakdown.

Alex Smith was 16th best QB in Fantasy last season. He had a worse WR corp last year than this coming season and the 49ers liked to run the ball. Not a bad QB to have on the books to backup Luck or start ahead of Luck.

Im going to pick out this though. You say meh but you are forgetting if Bowe holds out Breaston is now number 1 and has shown that he can catch footballs with sh1t QBs throwing to him Cassel can and will get footballs to him. Besides he is still not a bad number 2 if Bowe does eventually sign.

Miller is one of those rookies you grab and dump in the first couple of days after drafting this early and replace him with another rookie or backup player.

Scobee is a solid kicker and get in and around the avg 10 points kickers are expected to get every week so you say meh I say there are 20 kickers in Fantasy that will get you the minimum points expected Scobee being one of them.

Bengals defense is not bad for a last pick. Considering all the Top D's are gone I dont feel defenses get enough consistent points every week to warrant anything other than a last pick.
    But again I thank you for your breakdown.

It's not that they'd be bad (and infact they're very good value) picks, it's just I'm not very motivated to write about the 11th-15th round.

It's not that they'd be bad (and infact they're very good value) picks, it's just I'm not very motivated to write about the 11th-15th round.

So you would say meh about someones picks just because they are in the 11th-15th round rather than their abilities in fantasy? Ok that makes a lot of sense.

So you would say meh about someones picks just because they are in the 11th-15th round rather than their abilities in fantasy? Ok that makes a lot of sense.

On reflection there was no need to say anything, and when I had a look at JMH's mock I only commented on picks that caught my eye. The draft is unpredictable and by the time you get to the 11th-15th round it's very hard to get an idea of who you're going to pick, as opposed to who you would pick in the first couple of rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Is there a mock planned for tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Is there a mock planned for tonight?

League ID 979829
    password: mockers

For anyone that wants in, every evening at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

League ID 979829
    password: mockers

For anyone that wants in, every evening at 9pm

Cheers Spongey, is there a link to access the league?

• Advertisement

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Cheers Spongey, is there a link to access the league?

http://fantasy.nfl.com/registration/privateleaguejoin

Advertisement