Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cleaning crown

Options
  • 30-07-2012 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

ok there is a build up of carbon on the end of the crown of my rifle, my question is if i use a really fine emery paper to remove it will it affect the accuracy of my rifle? thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

KG2 and be gentle around your crown .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

It's probably not a good idea to use any kind of abrasive on your crown. I have the same problem fro using the mod. I find a couple of patches, a drop of solvent, and a bit of elbow grease does the trick fairly well

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gunning84

its the mod that is doin it on mine too, its a dose to get it off at times :rolleyes: thanks lads

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As tomcat220t said a little KG 2, KG12 or KG 1 (carbon remover), a patch, and work it gently. Use no abrasive material. Once off may not cause a problem, but it's a bad habit to get into, and will cause damage over prolonged use.

As to the mod. A mod should never be attached to the rifle when not in use. The mod should be removed, the threading on the rifle cleaned, and a small amount of copper grease applied before the next use of the mod. Leaving a mod attached to the rifle all the time can cause pitting, and other damage.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I don't pretend to know how it works, but this - http://www.kleenezeshop.com/products/295-miracle-cloth.aspx
    takes all the carbon residue off any part of a firearm, leaving it spotless. It seems to be the same as the Birchwood-Casey lead removal cloth, but at less than half the price.

I've been using one cut into small pieces to clean up cases as well as taking the carbon residue off the front of revolver cylinders and barrel crowns for years.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭shooter88

Ezridax wrote: »
    As tomcat220t said a little KG 2, KG12 or KG 1 (carbon remover), a patch, and work it gently. Use no abrasive material. Once off may not cause a problem, but it's a bad habit to get into, and will cause damage over prolonged use.

As to the mod. A mod should never be attached to the rifle when not in use. The mod should be removed, the threading on the rifle cleaned, and a small amount of copper grease applied before the next use of the mod. Leaving a mod attached to the rifle all the time can cause pitting, and other damage.

Learn something new everyday I presumed it was ok to leave the mod attached as when I was rifle shopping nearly every gun shop with 2nd hand rifles had a few with mods attached :( safe to say IL be removing mine when not in use...

Over roughly how long does it take for the carbon to build?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

shooter88 wrote: »

Learn something new everyday I presumed it was ok to leave the mod attached as when I was rifle shopping nearly every gun shop with 2nd hand rifles had a few with mods attached :( safe to say IL be removing mine when not in use...

you only got your rifle recently yeah? You should be fine, just take it off and hive a good clean as above and remember to take it off in future

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

Silvo is useful for cleaning stubborn carbon and not too agressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭clivej

I'm finding that Halfords 'Brake and Clutch' cleaner is great at removing all and any carbon build up on all parts of my rifles - inside and out.

.............. I presumed it was ok to leave the mod attached as when I was rifle shopping nearly every gun shop with 2nd hand rifles had a few with mods attached.........
    It's something i've seen in a few shops myself. I'm surprised, but not shocked. When in a shop it would be a pain in the ass for the dealer to get in every morning, and have to attach each mod to the respective gun so it's easier for them to just leave them on.
    Carbon build up starts from the first shot. The severity of the build depends on your cleaning regime, and frequency of cleans.

So if you leave the gun dirty for months on end, and have the mod attached then you are looking for trouble. There is also no need to go the opposite route, and clean after every shot. For the hunting rifle i would clean every 20-40 rounds if in high use or every month if in light use. The mod comes off every day though, and is only attached when i'm heading out.

Another thing that is not related to the crown, but a general tip. DO NOT use a bronze brush. At all. I hate brushes, and f stuck would only consider a nylon brush. There are a serious amount of solvents designed to clean out carbon, and copper fouling from barrels, and i see lads scrubbing the crap out of their rifles even after applying the solvent. There is no need. The solvent will do the work if you use it right, and give it time to do it's job. Too many times lads get fed up waiting, and go to town on it.

I would only use patches, and the solvents. Using a carbon remover first, then wiping out with Meth. Spirits, then using the copper solvents, and patches, and again wiping out with Meth. Spirits to clear out any remaining residue.

Also if using a rod to clean the rifle keep a cloth, and as you draw back the rod from the barrel wipe the rod body. This cleans off any residue that may act as a "lapping paste". Lastly use a bore guide. Prevents damage to the chamber, and crap coming back into your action.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Not trying to contradict ,but using a quality bronze brush (pro-shot...ect) CORRECTLY does no harm to any barrel ,imo.
    I always use bronze brushes and have found best results cleaning with them .
    Cleaning barrels is like caliber choice ...every-one has their own opinions on what works best !

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Not trying to contradict ,but using a quality bronze brush (pro-shot...ect)
    It's not contradicting at all. I use the Bore Tech rod, and Pro-Shot heads, jags, etc. They are top quality, but you are right in that;
    ...every-one has their own opinions on what works best !
    I see lads with seriously expensive guns using brushes, and others like myself that don't use them at all.

I use a nylon brush (again personal choice), but when it's run through the barrel it is unscrewed, cleaned off, the rod removed, wiped clean, brush re-attached, then run through again. It's time consuming, but it's a routine i've used for years, and most likely will continue to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Another issue with the mod been left on the whole time is that the threads can bind with the heat off repeat shots and the metal expanding and contracting. There has been threads on here before where lads left the mod on for over a week using the rifle and they had no hope of twisting the threads back off.

When I got my mod it was easily split into 3 separate pieces, fired 5 shots zero'n and ive no hope of twisting it opening it by hand now.

Reason they leave them on in the shop is the guns are normally cleaned and the threads greased and the gun isn't been fired so nothing will happen and its to show the mod is part of the package.

Advertisement