Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying from Charity Shops Do you or not :)

Options
  • 27-07-2012 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, was passing a Charity shop in Limerick the other day (nearly every 3rd shop in the city is now is a charity shop) and saw a gameboy colour + advance in the shop window that caught my attention.

......I Taught the heck of it and went in. I asked to see the GB colour and powered it on, it worked. It came with a carry case, 2 games, link cable and screen magnifier. It had a price tag of 15 so I purchased it.

I was going to ask if that is the best price on it, but I felt guilty as its a charity shop, and was happy enough with the purchase.

Do ye pick up much stuff in Charity shops? Would ye haggle price wise?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I never haggle in a charity shop, it's not like an individual is pocketing the money, it's going to a good cause. I don't think I have seen even one example of a charity shop over charging for an item.
    So, continue to enjoy sorting the retro gaming goodness from baskets full of polo shirts smelling of old men and racks of women's clothes that have the scent of camphor mixed with wee.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Yeah, that is what I thaught, although, you never know :)

I also bought a book, so there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I havent bought anything in a charity shop for years, but went through a phase of it about 10 years ago. In fact half of my finds from then were my mother ringing me up to say 'Oisin! They have a complex boxed nes here for 15 euro!' and things like that.

I think they've copped on in the last few years though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Weylin wrote: »
    every item of clothing is washed and cleaned before it is sold to the public.you must one ignorant bollox to state that items smell of "wee"
    its gob****es like you that give these shops a bad name,
    maybe if you changed your own underwear once in a while,you might not get the smell of piss.

So your saying theres no such thing as "That charity shop hum"? Could you state your arguments to what that smell might be then?

Always nice to see a lurker come forth and post here so welcome. Great to see you posting with such passion and tackling these issues head on. Good start by personally calling a mod a gob****e and a bollox. Making claims about their personal hygiene aswell......I can see you a dab hand at this whole internet thing :)

soap-box.jpeg

There you go, work away there now. Its terrible to see someone be offended on the internet so I'll do everything in my power to help you out ok? Just make sure that you have caps lock on for when you want us to know your "SHOUTING" otherwise we wont know.

Good talk :D Looking forward to more posts by you chap/chapette......Cant be having sexual discrimination now can we

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

every item of clothing is washed and cleaned before it is sold to the public.you must one ignorant bollox to state that items smell of "wee"
    maybe if you changed your own underwear once in a while,you might not get the smell of piss.

* handbags *

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Step away from the internet before you give yourself a hernia.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

I've found some great stuff in charity shops, and some disappointing stuff, it's still fun to go in and have a quick look on the chance that there's something good hidden away.

Recently got The Red Star (PS2) for 2 euro, was delighted as my old copy of it was robbed years ago.
    Also spotted the Gamecube version of XIII for 7.50, decided to leave it, already have every other version of it anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Never have I found anything retro gaming related in a charity shop and I've giving up. Books are a different story though.
    ps. People who work in charity shops are annoying :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

the Wiii recycling thing a few years back meant that none of the charity shops will officially sell electrical goods.
    Some do mind you , and others will , if you know them , 'give' you the ps2/nes whatever if you make a 'donation' (so at least they're paying lip service to the law).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

OwaynOTT wrote: »

I think you'll find a certain female that regularly visits here works in one :P

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think you'll find a certain female that regularly visits here works in one :P

Oh no, whatever am I going to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭epiphone

People who work in charity shops are annoying :P

Most people who work in charity shops are volunteers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

A personal attack [ignorant bolox]
    A personal slur [gobsh1tes like you...]
    Slander againt a poster [changed your underwear etc etc]

I can't speak for Cideys response, but your lucky I'm not a mod here because that'd be your first & last post here

epiphone wrote: »
    Most people who work in charity shops are volunteers!!

I know and they are very charitable people for doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

I find the older and smellier the charity shop, the better chance of finding retro goodies.

The newer fancier retail style units never have anything decent unless you are into ps2 fifa games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Some of my best finds have been from charity shops! My personal favourite was a GBC, GBA SP, 3 boxed Pokemon games and a rake of loose carts for €12. I'll always pop into them if I'm passing by or whatever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sorry, I was just giving my underwear a wipe with a damp cloth before putting them back on.....
    Did I miss anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Sorry, I was just giving my underwear a wipe with a damp cloth before putting them back on.....
    Did I miss anything?

Just someone who probably owns a charity shop gabbing on about urine, nothing else really

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Jesus, I am sorry I asked the question, urine, piss, old people, people not wearing clean underwear, all I wanted to know are they a good place to find some blue movies..... did I say that out loud, I meant retro, retro goodies :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

djsim101 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, was passing a Charity shop in Limerick the other day and saw a gameboy colour + advance in the shop window that caught my attention.

I asked to see the GB colour and it worked. It came with a carry case, 2 games, link cable and screen magnifier. It had a price tag of 15 so I purchased it.

I was going to ask if that is the best price on it, but I felt guilty as its a charity shop, and was happy enough with the purchase.

Do ye pick up much stuff in Charity shops? Would ye haggle price wise?
    [I'm a volunteer btw]
    You're welcome to haggle anything but if there isn't anything wrong with it, IMO wouldn't ask. In your case I wouldn't have asked for anything off, it was a fair price for what you got IMO, if you couldn't turn it on or it had no games it would be a different story.

I've gotten a good few things over the years, Pokémon Red was the last thing I bought for a euro. There's loads out there but you've to look often for it.
    didn't you ask me to look out for Terry Pratchett books for you?
    baskets full of polo shirts smelling of old men and racks of women's clothes that have the scent of camphor mixed with wee.
    I can only speak about my own place - but the smell is from the people who come in and it lingers, not usually from the stuff themselves, unless we're unlucky and they try something on, which doesn't happen often.
    Most of the staff are particular about smells (I'm used to it), so anything that smelled like wee when it was donated would be binned.
    Just felt it had to be said.

• Advertisement

Oh damn! Ah someone hacked my account, they also got my credit card details and bought a load of police academy movies and sailor moon videos.
    So I can only apologise for any offence caused by their purchases, as for what they said :p

But do please keep a weather eye out for those books, thanks.

Oh damn! Ah someone hacked my account.
    But do please keep a weather eye out for those books, thanks.
    I'm taking this to heart :(, so I want a public apology, starting with
    "I, OwaynOTT, was wrong" and you write the rest yourself :p (seriously)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I have done well out of Charity shops in Dublin in the past year, a boxed Atari Lynx for €30 with 4 boxed games and numerous PS1 and PS2 classics. Also got a Final Fantasy VII guide marked at 10 cents in Liffey Street, I gave €2 for it though. Capel Street is a goldmine for retro games 5 shops on it with some often having Megadrive or Snes games.

Dear Charity Workers,
    I, OwaynOTT, was wrong for what I said about people who work in charity shops. Over the years I've had many pleasant experiences with people who kindly give up their time to help out in charity shops. They are not annoying, they are usually very nice and helpful people.
    If I caused any offence, I did not intend to. A gesture of goodwill, I will donate a box full of old books to my local secondhand bookshop, charity not commercial, and it will not be the first time I've done so, nor will it get the last.
    And futuremore, I will impose a weekly ban on myself from these forums to help atone for my unintentional offence.
    Sincerely,
    OwaynOTT

A gesture of goodwill, I will donate a box full of old books to my local secondhand bookshop, charity not commercial, and it will not be the first time I've done so, nor will it get the last.
    And futuremore, I will impose a weekly ban on myself from these forums to help atone for my unintentional offence.
    Sincerely,
    OwaynOTT
    no need to go that far :pac:, we hadn't any book donations this week only some cook books from my sister, I'll let you know if I see anything next week

I may have to preface my posts with *joke here*.....

Master of the Universe

No matter what you say on the internet, it will offend someone. So go for broke and just try to offend as many people as you can with each post.

o1s1n wrote: »
    No matter what you say on the internet, it will offend someone. So go for broke and just try to offend as many people as you can with each post.

I try, I really do but the only person I wind up upsetting are Streets of Rage fans and they barely count, do they?

OwaynOTT was grand to slag me if hadn't asked me to do him a favor, Retr0 already knows this too well :rolleyes:
    I may have to preface my posts with *joke here*.....
    I didn't know rather you were messing about the smell, there's loads of people I'd to bring their donations in for them because they're "afraid" of the shops.

I tell you a TLDR story:
    [Retr0 knows who this is], someone years ago, had all these stupid ideas about second hand shops, so I brought him into a shop with me and made a show of it me, claiming he'd gotten head lice from the shop, not from anyone in there, from the clothes.
    He itched for hours and told everyone about it. It wasn't so bad he needed to buy the shampoo because he was that tight he wouldn't take it that far and wouldn't let anyone look at his head either.
    He'd gotten a cold shortly after this and claimed it was the consumption from said second hand shop. He was fine to go in when he needed a new coat cheap but otherwise he's stand outside and shudder, whine and itch. His whole family believed him like.
    This, is true.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I try, I really do but the only person I wind up upsetting are Streets of Rage fans and they barely count, do they?

i_will_cut_you_by_pikarar-d4hgwua.png

Advertisement