Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Wild Bill

Written and directed by Dexter Fletcher and while the story isn't anything you've never heard before I think he does a great job with the directing.
    I really liked it and if I had one complaint it would be that it was too short at just over an hour and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭briany

Snow Cake: A reserved Englishman establishes an unorthodox friendship with an autistic woman in the wake of a tragic car crash.

Very enjoyable slice of life style dramedy. Alan Rickman does his usual cynical thing but it plays well against Sigourney Weaver's autistic character and the small town Canadian setting. Highly recommended if you like The Station Agent, You Can Count on me etc. B+

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Tall T- excellent Western from the 1950s with Randolph Scott and Irish actress Maureen O'Sullivan. Far better than that Leone stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Insomnia - had ignored this years but finally decided to give it a watch. It's decent: there's some nice chemistry between Pacino and Williams, a few unexpected twists to formula and the two setpiece chases are interesting. But there's something dare I say 'ordinary' about the whole thing, and certainly the least distinctive film from Nolan. There's some stuff that makes it stand out, but not really enough to provide anything more than a somewhat above average police thriller. Some of the landscape shots are nice though. Serious ice.

I like David Julyan's score for it as well, similar to The Prestige but it works well in the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

wild bill, very good

rise and fall of a white collar football hooligan pure drivel a very bad attempt at a gangster/hooligan film one of the worst i have seen

wanderlust quite funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Dan in Real Life Very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Went to see The Dark Knight Rises tonight and not a moment too soon as no sooner had I got home and went online than I accidentally stumbled on a list of spoilers for the movie :eek:

Really enjoyable and although I'd heard a few people say it was too long I didnt really notice the time passing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Please Vote For Me - Entertaining documentary about a Chinese class election, and all the mud-slinging, bribery, trickery and straight-up namecalling that goes along with it. There is the impression that, like King of Kong or something, some questionable editing was employed to artificially heighten the drama, and it's relatively light on real insight (barring the teacher actively promoting deplorable, morally suspect activities). It's almost a satire of American 'democracy' with eight year-olds using every trick in the book to garner support. Overall, a handful of funny, surprising and insightful moments in there, alongside three engaging and very different candidates. Errol Morris it ain't, but it's an entertaining hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

i_am_joey wrote: »
    watched IN TIME last night...story is alright but theres something else that im looking for in the film.

for something thats set in the future, the cars in use are all older models though.

amanda seyfrieds's wig is funny though :D

I thought it was fcuking terrible, a mess of a film.

Strangley though, the only film in which I found Amanda Seyfried attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Moonrise Kingdom - Very good cast but not my type of humour at all. Its more suited to middle aged women IMO! Whereas my humour would be Superbad, Anchorman etc

Great film, have seen it twice, Anderson's best film in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Murder on a sunday morning.
    Its an enjoyable true life documentary.its well worth a watch if you like court room drama s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Mesrine: Killer Instinct

Mesrine: Public Enemy no.1

Things to do in Denver when you're Dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"The Lady Vanishes" (1938) directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Another blowout in a local charity shop - 50 cents!
    The original, and the best, version by a country mile. A tale of little old ladies, spies, assassins, trains and Johnny Foreigner all rolled into one on a train journey across Europe in the darkening days of 1938. Will the mystery of the disappeared old lady be solved, will Michael Redgrave get the girl and will the intrepid pair of English gentlemen tourists make it back to Manchester in time for the final day of the Cricket test match? These are just some of the plots that keep you guessing until the very end! Seriously though, it's an entertaining bit of escapism and the humour - some of it unintentional I think - will amuse even the most jaded palate. :D

vanishes.gif

Basil Radford and Naunton Wayne show some stiff upper lip when the train runs into a spot of bother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    Wild Bill

Written and directed by Dexter Fletcher and while the story isn't anything you've never heard before I think he does a great job with the directing.
    I really liked it and if I had one complaint it would be that it was too short at just over an hour and a half.

+1 was very enjoyable well worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

BAD LIEUTENANT: PORT OF WHATEVER...

The Cagey One was mildly amusing for the first hour
    trying to a a Keitel.

:D

Then things evaporated into tedium and yawn inducement.

:rolleyes:

Some losers think this mediocrity is cutting edge cinema!?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Good will hunting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

coldwood92 wrote: »
    Good will hunting

And :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

And :confused:

That's the problem with this thread, too many people are just saying they watched a film and not saying what they thought of it. A mod warning should be put in stating a post will be deleted if you don't give your opinion of the film you have watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

That's the problem with this thread, too many people are just saying they watched a film and not saying what they thought of it. A mod warning should be put in stating a post will be deleted if you don't give your opinion of the film you have watched.

Yes I agree, we need to hear opinions also.

But in fairness, the tread title is 'what have you watched recently?'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭budgemook

Batman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Raoul

budgemook wrote: »
    Batman

Quite insightful. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Raoul wrote: »

haha - was just going to say something along those lines myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Super - another one of those superhero films set in real life, enjoyable without being overly great. Stars Dwight from the office, Liv Tyler, Kevin Bacon and annoying young one from Juno (couldn't even bothered looking for her real name, thats how much I dislike her). I enjoyed Kick-Ass more than this but thought I'd give it a whirl.

Wrecked - Adrian Brody wakes in a car that has crashed to the bottom of a ravine and must face a fight for survival against nature while he tries to remember who he is and his past....<yawn>. I couldn't finish this film so I'm not going to give it a full review, sufficed to say I didn't think much of it to turn it off halfway through.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Detachment

Adrien Brody stars as a substitute teacher in this meditation on the American school system. A powerful and passionate film with strong performances from the cast, especially Brody. However, Kaye's execution, which involves documentary-style confessions (yuck!), is extremely pretentious and uninspired and only serves to draw attention to the weaknesses of the script. Monsieur Lazhar covered the exact same territory, albeit more conventionally, with far greater skill and tenderness earlier in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭briany

Last night I watched Slither (2005). A gross out horror comedy about a meteorite that lands on the outskirts of a small southern USA town. The biological entity that was inside gets out and soon makes plans for the town's inhabitants.

Pretty schlocky gory fun. Don't attempt to eat during the 2nd or 3rd acts as there's enough in there to put you off it, that is if you're not all that used to watching these types of films which I wasn't.
    Detachment

Adrien Brody stars as a substitute teacher in this meditation on the American school system. A powerful and passionate film with strong performances from the cast, especially Brody. However, Kaye's execution, which involves documentary-style confessions (yuck!), is extremely pretentious and uninspired and only serves to draw attention to the weaknesses of the script. Monsieur Lazhar covered the exact same territory, albeit more conventionally, with far greater skill and tenderness earlier in the year.

That film was drivel if I'm honest. Tried to say everything and ended up saying very little and even less that hadn't already been said in a better way. It's main claim to fame is it's grossly one sided look at 'youf' and some pretentious camera work for the flashbacks. Very poorly written film for one rated so highly. Should be traded in for a copy of Lahzar and "The Class", the French film about a French teacher trying to establish a rapport with his inner city class but without all the artsy chuffa in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭budgemook

budgemook wrote: »
    Batman
    Raoul wrote: »
    haha - was just going to say something along those lines myself...

I was joking really based on the previous comments.

The Dark Knight Rises

Overall I would say this is an average film. It's not the masterpiece loads of people are saying and it's not the pile of crap others are saying it is. It's probably about as good as The Dark Knight but without having The Joker to carry it (although Bane is decent enough). Some terribly cheesey moments, a few plot holes and a couple of missed opportunities make it a 6.5/10 film for me. Same as The Dark Knight. FWIW Batman Begins I would give an 8/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Bowfinger last night, I forgot how good it was
    Steve Martin as the sleazy director and some great gags, possibly one of Eddie Murphys last good movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Hero

Meh...slooooow, over elaborate scenes and too much non story related time(long pauses, arty falling coloured sheets n' stuff)

The story was interesting and I enjoyed some of the fight scenes but if I had of seen
    Moon going mad over the death of Broken Sword one more time I woulda cracked up!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just watched Detective Dee and the Phantom Flame, and while overall it was middling (convoluted plot, nice visuals, frequent spontaneous combustion), it did have a scene where Andy Lau fights a load of deer, which automatically makes it better than 99.9% of all other films ever made, if only for a minute or two.

Reminded me of this, only with Andy Lau.

• Advertisement

Watched this last night,absolutely love James Stewart in any of his classic movies.This is a superb western and one of the classic Stewart/Anthony Mann collaborations.There is a great scene where Stewarts character restrains Dan Duryea,twisting his favoured gun arm until it almost snaps,the look on Stewarts face while he does this,superb actor!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement