Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bargain alerts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

mobile phone? free calls nowadays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

mawk wrote: »
    mobile phone? free calls nowadays

Remember the bottom of that valley I was telling you about ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I use a 10km range set i got in argos they work perfect while im in the house with one and the kids where in the park 2km away i was down stairs in the house will be doing a longer test on them soon

Only a minor one for anyone in or around Waterford, always worth keeping an eye on the reduced shop they have at Tesco Poleberry, all sorts of odds and ends find their way there, today they had survival space blanket and disposable plastic rain coat kits designed for the motorist for €1.40 (were €2.80) - top shelf middle isle.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Anybody after a new tacticool torch, check out http://LEDpowerhouse.com. and you can use my loyalty discount LOYALTY999 10% off till the end of May.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

picked up some heavy duty 35L dry bags in aldi yesterday for 10 euro and a wind up torch for 10 as well....bags are seriously heavy duty....

Picked up a few of the previously mentioned LIDL Personal First Aid Kits and for €3.99 can 100% recommend them. Useful items, nice outer bag, pocket sized, with belt loops (won't use them but nice to have) and with room for a few extras to personalise Edit they are also use by date stamped with a sticker on the case 2017.

I'll take a good hard look at them later and see what additions I need before adding one per bob. Will provision as an addition to a Survival tin i.e. I'll try not to duplicate items.

- Pic and contents list now posted in the First Aid Kits - whats in yours? thread on page 2

Also got a couple of fuel cans which are good quality for the money.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Some camping gear coming up in Aldi on Thursday

http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week22Thursday12.htm?WT.z_src=main

Lidl Monday (Bank Holiday?) 12x32 binoculars €12.99 will look out a link when I have a minute.

Link
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-219154FA-1E428AE5/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_21435.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Anyone near an Iceland?? In Dublin anyway they have either a 99 cent shop or a 1.50 shop next door I was having a look in it today (a .99 cent one) and picked up Tooth brush 100ml Tooth paste and 350ml mouth wash all 3 for 99 cents :D:D:D Also found in the 1.50 shop one cans of all day breakfast 1.50 each (I will be raiding them again )

i was in the e1.49 place at the top of patricks st today and got an emergency shelter (tent shaped bivvy bag) and an aluminium water bottle for 3 bucks total. not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

20% off on rugged Cold Steel walking sticks for the next week...

http://www.coldsteel-uk.com/store/Deal-of-the-Week.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Did anyone get one of them 69.99 gennies from Aldi (2-stroke, 850w?) I have no use for one just wondering what people think of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

After previous experience with aldi/lidl generators my advice is buy Honda.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

bonniebede wrote: »

I know I'm late here, but I missed this before. While I would like a nice portable solar charger, my guess is that that yoke is next to useless. I would say it puts out less than 0.2W based on its surface size.

Khannie wrote: »
    I know I'm late here, but I missed this before. While I would like a nice portable solar charger, my guess is that that yoke is next to useless. I would say it puts out less than 0.2W based on its surface size.
    Yeah my research indicates that if you want a good portable solar setup you'll need to fork over the guts of a grand. Might be a good investment depending on how long you need to be out there mind you.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Yeah my research indicates that if you want a good portable solar setup you'll need to fork over the guts of a grand. Might be a good investment depending on how long you need to be out there mind you.

For how many watts and how much storage capacity? Is that DC only or include a pure sine inverter?

eth0 wrote: »
    For how many watts and how much storage capacity? Is that DC only or include a pure sine inverter?
    http://www.amazon.com/Brunton-Watt-Foldable-Solar-Array/dp/B000GEFFBO

Good news, its half price, and so fits well in bargain alerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Unfortunately it cant be shipped to an international address.

Important Message

Brunton 26 Watt Foldable Solar Array cannot be shipped to the selected address

Maybe if you knew someone in usa to order for you and send it on.
    $336.81 is a good deal.

The ones on the uk site are the Brunton solar rollable 14 watt at 299.99 stg and brunton solaris foldable 12 watt at 399.70 stg are not as good a deal as the 26 watt on the usa site.

• Advertisement

Damn, £560 for the 26 watt. Looks like we're back to the guts of a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

If your looking at buying in the states look at the PowerFilm Solar products. They are lighter and thinner than the Brunton's from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

Have a look at the PowerFilm USB+AA. I picked one up in Canada. It came with two eneloop AA's and will charge any USB device.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Waterfordham that powerfilm usb+AA is a handy device.
    I like this about it ..
    Powers even in 100% darkness through the USB port because the 2 included rechargeable batteries act as storage devices for the energy absorbed by the solar panels during the day

70$ to 80$

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBDOhaEDMNk

Review here below.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Portable-Solar-Reviews/PowerFilm-USB-AA-Solar-Charger

But the Goal gear nomad 7 maybe a better one?(79$ to 140$)
    http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Portable-Solar-Reviews/Goal-Zero-Nomad-7

Solar seems to be getting extremely cheap these days. I'll hold off on any major purchases till next year and see how it goes then, hopefully the world won't end in the interim. :D

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Solar seems to be getting extremely cheap these days. I'll hold off on any major purchases till next year and see how it goes then, hopefully the world won't end in the interim. :D

The chinese communist party has been artificially subsidising their panels to try and put other manufacturers out of business, so that might not last.

a 30W panel shouldn't cost much more than 60 pound even a flexible one. Putting your own panel together using loose solar cells is another option and even cheaper. but you need a regulator. I have samples ordered to build one that should be arriving soon

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The chinese communist party has been artificially subsidising their panels to try and put other manufacturers out of business, so that might not last.

The best value for money was coming out of the US that I could see when I was looking into building my own panels.
    a 30W panel shouldn't cost much more than 60 pound even a flexible one. Putting your own panel together using loose solar cells is another option and even cheaper. but you need a regulator. I have samples ordered to build one that should be arriving soon

Good luck with the build. Interested to hear how you get on. The soldering looks like a pain in the face but it's something I'd consider taking on if I felt I could put a decent panel together that would survive winters and summers. If you build your own and ignore the value of your labour, payback times are surprisingly good even in Ireland.

The best value for money was coming out of the US that I could see when I was looking into building my own panels.

Good luck with the build. Interested to hear how you get on. The soldering looks like a pain in the face but it's something I'd consider taking on if I felt I could put a decent panel together that would survive winters and summers. If you build your own and ignore the value of your labour, payback times are surprisingly good even in Ireland.

Regulators are after arriving but i need power inductors for them now. I have a pre-made 30w panel to run this off of. I could use a linear 7805 but that would mean the panel needs to produce 8-15W just to charge a phone and 15-watt days are scarce this 'summer'

you don't need 8w, you need 8v, surely the panels put out a fairly strict voltage range and only the current changes?

• Advertisement

thinking some more the last time I used a 7805 It was perfectly happy to run at 9v, so if you could use the panel to charge batteries, either a bank of 5 or 6 1.2v cells or one 12v battery then clip the 7805 circuit on to that it should work fine and not matter about consistent sunshine

Advertisement