Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man City to play Limerick FC at Thomond Park

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

In keeping with the general vibe to good news around here, can I just say this is a complete disaster, the worst thing ever and sure the Man City lads would rather play Kabul FC than risk Limerick. And the traffic, has anyone even thought of the traffic, course it won't sell out, wouldn't cross the road to see that shower, and the weather, shocking, sure you could hardly play a game with the rain. And they get paid too much money, and that's just the Limerick lads, as for them City lads, they don't know they're born, no pride in the jersey, the lot of them, in my day we'd pay tuppence to get into the game and you'd see some real action but now, bunch of divers. etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

bazz26 wrote: »

It's not often the Premiership champions are in town, certainly good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

The friendly is expected to give the city of Limerick a boost of between €8-10m,

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

They will bring the reserves, id be surprised if they had any of the big names:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭cassette50

The main squad are playing Wolfsburg the evening before, so I'd doubt there will be many of the first team playing in Limerick. :mad:

Unless they decide to split the squad and send a few over for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

€10 millins! We're laughing lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

cassette50 wrote: »
    The main squad are playing Wolfsburg the evening before, so I'd doubt there will be many of the first team playing in Limerick. :mad:

They have such a squad of "star names" they can put out a few against Limerick as well. Hoping for Balotelli to play :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,188 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

:pac:

If the city actually got 1c for everytime that phrase popped up then they would actually have €8m -€10m by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Casperbhoy wrote: »
    They will bring the reserves, id be surprised if they had any of the big names:rolleyes:

Have you seen their reserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ruginator

Have you seen their reserves.

For anyone thay has actually bothered to check Man City's first team fixtures you will see that City's first team play Wolfsberg Away on August 4th, their next fixture is Chelsea on August 12th. No mention of a game v Limerick on August 5th, impossible to think they will play a first team on the Saturday night in Germany and all play again the following day. At least Cork City have promoted their game v Man Utd XI as such a game and not come out with claims of getting a full first team squad that won't materialise. http://www.mcfc.co.uk/fixtures/first-team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

cassette50 wrote: »

Ruginator wrote: »
    For anyone thay has actually bothered to check Man City's first team fixtures you will see that City's first team play Wolfsberg Away on August 4th, their next fixture is Chelsea on August 12th. No mention of a game v Limerick on August 5th, impossible to think they will play a first team on the Saturday night in Germany and all play again the following day. At least Cork City have promoted their game v Man Utd XI as such a game and not come out with claims of getting a full first team squad that won't materialise. http://www.mcfc.co.uk/fixtures/first-team

Someone did bother.

Anyway, it's hardly beyond the wit of man for their manager to split the squad or have his star players play a section of the match on Friday and another on Saturday, or at least have the lads over for a few photos around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ruginator wrote: »

Nearly everyone I have talked to has looked it up and seen they are playing wolfsburg on the Saturday. They are flying over on the Sunday.

According to someone within the club it will be on the Manchester City website Monday. They can't send all reserves either because the reserves and underage have a match of their own that day. There is no reason for example that Ballotelli and Tevez could play against Wolfsburg Saturday and then Auguero and Dzecko Sunday, or vice versa or mix and match. We are talking about Man City who have approx 25 internationals, maybe more.

Also the club have played a Liverpool XI only a few months ago and it was advertised as that. This friendly was set up with a third party and is due to be televised by a global network also.

Seems to be a good interest from the Man City fans to travel over also as its a handy trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

In the world of Senior soccer clubs often play 2/3 games in as many days in pre season tournaments, you give players 20/30 mins on the pitch and switch it around. Magic flying machines like planes will make the 2/3 hour flight from Germany handy for City and City will love this chance to break into the Irish market.

You think listening to some people that 11 players have to all play 90mins in Germany, walk to Limerick and play another 90. And even if they did they are paid enough. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    In the world of Senior soccer clubs often play 2/3 games in as many days in pre season tournaments, you give players 20/30 mins on the pitch and switch it around. Magic flying machines like planes will make the 2/3 hour flight from Germany handy for City and City will love this chance to break into the Irish market.

You think listening to some people that 11 players have to all play 90mins in Germany, walk to Limerick and play another 90. And even if they did they are paid enough. :pac:

Indeed, chances are the majority of the team on both nights will be fringe squad players with the stars only playing for 45 mins across the two nights.

Still though, 45 mins from some of the players City have is probably worth paying to see if you've a big interest in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

They won't have a full side, but there is an agreement that a number of keys players will be here. Such as Silva, Mario and a few others, there has be a list of promised players that Limerick will have and I've been told that full list so I'll look forward to seeing my team play the champions of England

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭sleepyman

Is there any word on when the markets field will be redeveloped or is there no money to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Jofspring

sleepyman wrote: »
    Is there any word on when the markets field will be redeveloped or is there no money to do it?

Money is there and planning permission is being submitted. Best to keep an eye on the limerick FC thread for more updates on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I just remembered I went to see Man City play a Limerick or was it a Munster selection in the early 90s in the old Thomond Park. A guy I knew got me in to the Man City dressing room after it.

I can't remember all the players, but I do recall Tony Coton, Adrian Heath and Niall Quinn playing. I think Terry Phelan was there too..

Also recall going to see West Ham play up in priory park on a really really foggy night. Everyone went to see Liam Brady and Liam Brady alone....

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

seachto7 wrote: »
    Also recall going to see West Ham play up in priory park on a really really foggy night. Everyone went to see Liam Brady and Liam Brady alone....

I remember that game. I think Tony Cottee played the same night ? West Ham won 1-0 AFAIK with a late goal ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

I remember that game. I think Tony Cottee played the same night ? West Ham won 1-0 AFAIK with a late goal ?

Just did a quick google there and they did indeed win 1-0 but no sign of Tony Cottee's name on the team sheet - http://www.limerick.ie/media/soccer%20154.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

can't recall, I was only interested in seeing Brady. Good times.....:)

sleepyman wrote: »

Thats in the hands of the LEDP. JP is not broke yet afaik. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I fully expect that City will start a team with at least 7-8 recognizable faces vs Limerick. The big guns will probably play in Germany but it's still going to be a great evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

Lets get behind our team, in our stadium in our city

a family ticket at only 40 euro (plus booking) is great value

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭phog

Details of the game and ticket prices.
    Tickets are on-sale now at the following prices:

•Category A Seats €30
    •Category B Seats €20
    •Terrace €15
    •Junior €10
    •Family Packages €40
    •Match Hospitality Packages are also available.

Reduced prices aswell for Official SC members. Take E5 off stand and E3 off terrace tickets. Membership card will need to be shown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

I hope the Locals turn up , I was at the Dublin Super Cup last August , The Man City Support was pathetic and I mean less than 200/300 fans , Even with Celtic/Inter Milan all involved,

So unless the people of Limerick turn up to look at an overpaid second string it will be a disaster,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

my brother bought his ticket last week and said the guy in there was saying that judging by sales it should be a sell out in the next few days, some areas of the stadium was already sold out so they are 100% expecting full capacity for this..sporting limerick out in force again:)

Very good for Limerick fc too, can you imagine the amount of revenue they will get, for a team looking to be promoted this is very good for them, especially that they want to redevelop markets field

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I've my ticket bought a good few sections were soldout already.

Advertisement