Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circumcision???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

BQQ wrote: »
    10 to 14 times less likely to catch a urinary tract infection.

known to reduce the risk of catching HIV and Syphilis

three to four times less likely to develop penile cancer

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Circumcision/Pages/Why-is-it-necessary.aspx

As solid a justification as a vaccine, No?
    If we had anything like the kind of hard supported data to suggest that circumcision had benefits which far far outstripped the risk of permanent disfigurement and death as vaccine programmes then they would be performed as a matter of course. As it stands they are not recommended as a medical treatment without specific pre existing risk factors .

From the link that you yourself provided and conveniently omitted
    Circumcision is usually only recommended if a boy has a risk factor that increases the likelihood of repeated UTIs.
    This is because the reduction in risk of minor and treatable UTI's does not outweigh the increase in far more serious complications due to circumcision.

The risk/reward equation again falls foul of a decrease in risk for one complication and increasing it in another. The data on STI's is in no way strong enough to suggest we should begin circumcising infants as a preventative measure. The same can be said about the incomplete HIV studies.

As for penile cancer, if I remove my testicles I will have a markedly reduced risk of testicular cancer too. Again the risk of penile cancer is minuscule in comparison to the complications that would be attributed to a nationwide circumcision programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

As solid a justification as a vaccine, No?

It's a bit extreme as a procedure just to give you a slightly less chance of developing certain health concerns later in life.

If you have your tonsils removed you're at least x times less likely to develop tonsillitis =p, but people aren't queuing up to have their kids tonsils removed unless it's actually necessary for that individual to have it done in the first place.

Circumcision, or any other self-elected surgery, as a means of reducing your likelihood of other complications (regardless of how unlikely you are to develop them) is backwards in and of itself. It's not as if we're living in a world where medical intervention and advice is hard to obtain. If you want to avoid catching an STD then practice safe sex.. don't try to justify why every infant male should have the snip.

And it's nothing like vaccination btw.. vaccinations aren't designed to protect you... they're designed to protect everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭BQQ

Piste wrote: »
    Nobody is disputing that, a lot of people have said they support circumcision where medically indicated, but blanket circumcision of boys not at high risk of UTIs or phimosis is not medically indicated.

Again. I'm not arguing for blanket circumcision.
    I'm arguing against a ban on circumcision.
    Sierra 117 wrote: »
    Removing foreskin without a medical reason is not a medical treatment.

A lot of doctors guilty of malpractice then?

don't try to justify why every infant male should have the snip.

WTF. Are you trolling or just not reading the thread?
    I have never advocated blanket circumcision.

Don't make me use caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

A lot of doctors guilty of removing foreskin for no reason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm not arguing for blanket circumcision.
    Parents should be free to consent to recognised medical treatments for their children.
    I'm arguing that your points don't come close to recognised medical treatments unless there's an actual problem to address.
    It's a ban against non medically necessary surgical procedures. It does not cover instances where such procedures are medically warranted.
    Emotive, but hardly an argument. Doctors like any other profession get things wrong, or succumb to memes within their profession. This is clear when we look at the history of medicine. New evidence comes to light and doctors follow that and re-examine previously held treatment protocols. History doesn't mean they have it right today, history doesn't stop, it is what we still do today that we may re-examine tomorrow.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Doctors like any other profession get things wrong, or succumb to memes within their profession. This is clear when we look at the history of medicine. New evidence comes to light and doctors follow that and re-examine previously held treatment protocols. History doesn't mean they have it right today, history doesn't stop, it is what we still do today that we may re-examine tomorrow.

Still, I'd take a doctor's advice over yours on all things medical.

No offence.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you have your tonsils removed you're at least x times less likely to develop tonsillitis =p, but people aren't queuing up to have their kids tonsils removed unless it's actually necessary for that individual to have it done in the first place.
    Actually for my generation in the 70's (and before) you would have been hard pressed to find any kid my age with their tonsils (and/or adenoids) intact. It was almost a rite of passage at the time. Today that has changed radically and doctors only intervene when necessary, which is what they should have done in the first place as now we know better.

Up until recently(and still the case with some gobshítes) handing out antibiotics like smarties was the order of the day too. Now we know better.

Outside of the religious types, circumcision is medically fashionable in some countries in the world and not in others. Clearly doctors differ in this and that's currently. In many cases they are just going along with patient requests(their parents in this case) just like the antibios, in some cases they continue the practice "because that's how we've always done it" and in some cases they believe it's medically advisable, or a combination of these reasons. These are not medically/scientifically/morally valid reasons for the practice.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

Im a female, i dont agree with it.

I would never let my baby to be circumsized.

If someone decides to do it to themselves after age of say 18, let them, but no parent should be allowed to choose it for their kids.
    No matter what someone says, there are people trying to justify all kind of unnecessary things, same story with female circumsizing in some African countries.

Animals are better to their young ones than parents who decide to do that. Let ur kid decide, it is something that affects them in adult life, not when they are 6, so deciding should be left for later too.

It would be same horrible if parents would start tattooing their kids at birth. i put it into same pot. Not theirs to decide.

Are all medical treatments to be halted until we hit 18 and can consent to them?

What else?
    School? I hated school. I did not consent, but was forced to attend.

C'mon people. A Child is not legally capable of consent, which is why parents give consent for ALL medical procedures carried out on their children.

As some already said before...
    If it is medically NEEDED, then yes, parents give concent.
    If it is not medically NEEDED then no feckin way!

So if parents give concent that they like kid with 4 fingers then qualified doctor in your opinion can do it?

Ok, that might be a bit harsh comparision, but yea, what about things in ur body that MAY cause you problems in later life, like mentioned before by someone : Tonsillis. Do you think newborn should have them removed if parent gives their concent as "A Child is not legally capable of consent". Damn twisted thinking if you think that it applies to one and doesnt apply for something else.

Still, I'd take a doctor's advice over yours on all things medical.

No offence.
    None taken and again hardly an argument, but given doctors can differ depending on where you are in the world and what papers they read and under which teachers they study, I would suggest, if god forbid you ever need medical attention whose treatment path isn't immediately obvious, that you should research it yourself, not take the first or even second opinion until you're completely satisfied with the objective logic involved. The medical profession is incredibly well regulated to weed out gobshítes and doctors are incredibly well trained to do the best as they see it for their patients, but even with the best will in the world human nature in both good and bad ways(mostly good by far) is still in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭mrduffy

This is just opinion but if man was back in the wild would uncircumcised not be more natural and safer for getting around with out too much sensitivity. what about other primates are they naturally circumcised or uncircumcised ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

interesting chat about it here, regarding the court cast in germany

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/b01kktr2

from 1.15 in, a guy from the anti-defamation league saying that circumcision should be allowed for religious reasons, but argument falls apart when he says that it should be banned for cultural reasons.
    ends up saying that germany, especially, shouldn't be making rulings that would impinge on jewish customs.

mrduffy wrote: »
    what about other primates are they naturally circumcised or uncircumcised ?
    Don't ask how I know this... :eek::o:D Well it was an unrelated book/study on the different sexual adaptations of the greater apes. I'm not a pervert I swear. :D...

Actually it's a fascinating area of study. Humans are quite the outlier in a number of respects. All great apes like us have foreskins(as do most mammal species). Indeed they have more enervated foreskin than glans(knob end). Humans have a particularly large and sensitive glans. It appears in the great apes that the foreskin is more involved in arousal than the glans, so clearly an important evolutionary structure.

Now we as a species show quite obvious sexual differences in structure, never mind behaviour. For a start we have huge willies in comparison to body size compared to other great apes. Don't let the other thread on Irish lads lads throw ya. :D Gorillas have tiny willies. Chimps sport a little bigger. We're the big dong kings though :). In the ladies there are diffs too. The clitoris in women is further away from being directly stimulated by sex. In other apes it's directly involved. The theories behind the "migrating clitoris" have some interesting notions.

Annnnyway.. yes our close rellies have foreskins. Now regard the obviously strong evolutionary pressures involved that made humans so different to our cousins were at play over millions of years. Men have bigger willies, medium sized testes, bigger glans, focus on pubic hair. Women have constantly enlarged bewbs(apes only have bewbs when pregnant and breastfeeding), bigger bums etc. Yet for all that selective pressure that changed us sooo much, human males retained the foreskin. It must have a clearly necessary evolutionary and biological function. So it makes no sense except in medically necessary cases to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

Gorillas have tiny willies. Chimps sport a little bigger. We're the big dong kings though

Aw yeah! In your face, gorillas and chimps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

The theories behind the "migrating clitoris" have some interesting notions.

Interesting. Do tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think most people here are arguing for a ban on circumcision unless otherwise medically indicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Another point is that sentences like "10 to 14 times less likely to catch a urinary tract infection" can be somewhat misleading if the number in question is small.

10-14 times less often than 4% is about 0.4%-0.3%.
    So if you circumcised the entire male population, it would only make a difference to 3.6%-3.7% of men. A fairly trivial difference.

Or to put numbers on it, if you take the number of Irish men to be 2 million, if all were circumcised, you'd get 6,000 rather than 80,000 men suffering from UTI and 1,926,000 who got a bit of their lad lopped off for nowt.

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    Aw yeah! In your face, gorillas and chimps!
    Hmmm unless you're dealing with a toothless and accommodating gorilla that sentiment could go badly wrong in practice...:D
    Interesting. Do tell!
    One idea holds that the migrating clitoris in humans is down to the much extended parental period involved in raising human kids. So the woman looks for a man who(among other things) is willing to make the extra effort to bring her to orgasm, thus weeding out the more selfish males for the sake of progeny produced. Some evidence suggests that conception is more likely with the female orgasm. There may be something to it, but humans have the most complex and adaptable sexualities and pair bonding tactics out there so one size won't fit all. IE women can have more orgasms with a secondary partner than with the primary. Men are more likely to produce quality sperm if they spend a period of time away from their partner, probably because of the worry of competition. An interesting subject all in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Hey Wibbs, how come you know so much about this? Are you a plastic surgeon or sumthin?

:D god no, well I've built airfix kits as a kid so that's plastic surgery CS, right?:D

My interest in this particular subject came out of two mates who came in contact with this subject. Beforehand like most I had no real yay or nay about the the whole thing TBH.

One was a new mother, the wife of a mate living in the US and the subject came up and debates and arguments ensued. The other was a guy I know who had a banjo string issue and the first three docs he encountered were gung ho for the full chop. He thought feck that I need to do research as it was his willy and sharp objects involved. The last doc, incidentely a woman was much more open to doing no harm as a first option, so he got a far less invasive procedure that sorted him out and left him willy intacto.

Both got me thinking about it. On top of that is my personal experience with the sensitivity and response of my own foreskin that made me think why da fcuk would you willingly have that removed if it was at all possible to keep it? Plus logic about the whole thing versus the seeming fashion/cultural/religous aspects to it. Basically the blanket violation(as I might see it) of newborn boys just didn't make sense to me and the more I read, the less sense it made.

TL;DR I'm quite attached to my willy in all it's modest glory and would seek to preserve as much of it as I could if that came up and don't understand the tenuous "reasons" given for it's mutilation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

i do love my circumsised penis, cant believe so many voted against having it done.would totally recommend it..

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭collidgedosser

Base ritual conceived by arguably the two most fanatical and contentious religions in the world Judaism and Islam. Irks me the way that proponents of the horrible procedure argue that its beneficial for personal hygiene and decreases the risk of STD's. I have survived nearly three decades by just having a shower every day and using a condom when

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭yawha

philologos wrote: »
    Any procedure can be botched by the by. Generally, that's a reason for people to object to careless procedures rather than to circumcision itself. I suggest that you be consistent and apply that logic to all procedures.
    With every surgical procedure, there is a chance something will go wrong.

As such, we should not have medically unnecessary surgical procedures performed on non-consenting infants.

And that's aside from the fact that it blatantly violates the bodily integrity of those infants. The biggest issue about it is that there do exist men who regret and feel anger and sadness at the fact that they were circumcised. To me, that's Game Over. Stop the the practice of routine infant circumcision for non-medical reasons. Although I don't feel that there're any compelling pros to circumcision, that shouldn't even need to be argued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

You know I've bn.. Criticized, ostracized n lobotimized.. but i ain't never bn no circumcized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 erin1977

I've never seen an uncircumcised one in person.. Is there a difference in the feel of one to a girl? lol I think circumcising is very common where I am from..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Unless medically necessary, there should be no reason for it at all. Ages ago on another forum, there was a debate about it and the majority of posters were American. They seemed to be convinced that non being circumcised was dirty and wrong.

One woman said her husband was a GP and had been thought about the problems with uncircumcised penises in college so they got their son circumcised. When I questioned her about it she told me mind my own business and stay out of her son's pants... fkn weirdo!

smash wrote: »
    Unless medically necessary, there should be no reason for it at all. Ages ago on another forum, there was a debate about it and the majority of posters were American. They seemed to be convinced that non being circumcised was dirty and wrong.
    Yea our American cousins are mad crazy for the practice for some reason. Like you say there's the hint in the background of a natural willy is somehow dirty, animalistic and even to be feared. Something that will ostracise you if you're not cut. They can get weirdly fetishistic about the whole thing going on about different "styles" of cut, the most severe being the most favoured. It's very odd.

Elsewhere in the west the 19th century support/fashion for the practice largely died out, but not in the US(and Canada to a lesser extent). South Korea was mentioned earlier in the thread as another culture that embraces it and that can be specifically traced back to the Korean war and the large amount of US soldiers and support medical staff that went to the country as it was very rare previously in the culture. Ditto to a lesser extent in Japan. It seems to be part of the "American way of life" along with Hollywood and hamburgers*. :D

The usual explanation is said to be because of the amount of Jewish doctors in the US, but that's BS IMHO. There are far more non Jewish doctors overall for a start. Plus every cultural sub group and religious affiliation in the US buys into the practice, less so among Hispanics(I've actually read in one US forum that their penile state was another reason why they were "un-american" :rolleyes:). The Jewish doctor explanation simply doesn't fit. Hell I had a Jewish doc growing up and he never suggested it. I reckon it's a mixture of pure habit/rite of passage and medical insurance covers it so ye might as well have it done with a side order of "we've always done this so..." which has made the practice very culturally engrained. I'd also add that mainstream porn which is mostly US based has added to the popularity in recent years and where even people outside of the culture think it's the "natural" way of things.

*I seem to recall in a PLO(i think) hijack in the 70's one guy was released early because he could prove he was neither American nor Jewish cos he dropped he pants and was as nature made him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Maybe I'm mistaken, but historically doesn't it date back to a practice amongst Jews for hygiene reasons because they'd spend months crossing deserts etc without the facilities to wash?

Either way, the history of it doesn't really matter. The bottom line is that unless the foreskin is too tight to be retracted then the procedure shouldn't be carried out. It can cause a lot of problems including loss of sensation and erectile dysfunction.

Wibbs you're right about porn too, I had mentioned that before in another thread about the subject. I don't see how it can look more attractive to any women though, a lot of the time the scar tissue causes the penis to change colour half way up the shaft.

smash wrote: »
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but historically doesn't it date back to a practice amongst Jews for hygiene reasons because they'd spend months crossing deserts etc without the facilities to wash?
    It predates Judaism by many thousands of years. It was quite common off and on in that region, the early Jewish culture may have picked up the practice from the Egyptians or Babylonians. Islam is more likely to suggest the hygiene thing with Judaism it's for the religious aspect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

What the hell Wibbs! I thought you had a vagina! I'm so confused.
    The last doc, incidentely a woman was much more open to doing no harm as a first option, so he got a far less invasive procedure that sorted him out and left him willy intacto.

That would make an excellent medical term.

Advertisement