Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

orange provocation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

I know burning Irish flags on loyalist bonfires is considered the norm but why the burning of the Polish flags?

Might be related to a few years back when Polish soccer hooligans came over and gave the Norther Ireland fans a hiding.

Ya have to sign in to YouTube and view this video.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TommyPolack

alastair wrote: »
    They're not making any political point about Poland. They're engaged in the usual kneejerk reaction to anyone outside the fold that impinges on 'their' turf - Nationalists, Chinese, Poles, Roma, etc. If there was an influx of Peruvians to Belfast, it'd be their flag up on the bonfire too. 'International law' etc is kind of missing the point - beyond 'this is a local shop, for local people' they've no real political agenda.

So what you say is that lawlessness is natural to sustain local traditions. **** the law, we will do whatever we want, “Because we British”. Come on, give me a break.
    I said it before and I say it again.
    I don’t give a flying f**k about your deals between ROI and NI but stay away from other nations flags as it is described in a law books as “Hate Crime”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

I haven't said that.
    Those who live and work in the Republic of Ireland and come to NI, technically are foreigners (ROI and UK are separate contries). Those republicans who live in NI are not.
    That is how the law see it. I see it that “We The People” should have no restrictions to travel. Classification of people on “foreigners” and “locals” these days is very outdated and create tensions.
    Our societies are heavily mixed and looking at Burning National Flags issue as “They” and “We” is childish.
    How about to stop offending each other and live in peace, without unnecessary provocations from “Hosts” of our emigration.
    are you saying its only the loyalists in northern ireland who are racist against polish citizens ?then read racist attacts on poles in fingles,swords and baseball bats were used in a night of violance in the north dublin suburb of fingles,the house in which they lived was attacted and daubed with swastikas and KKK symbols.www.indymedia.ie/article/79204

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

derra wrote: »
    Might be related to a few years back when Polish soccer hooligans came over and gave the Norther Ireland fans a hiding.

This has got nothing to do with it, the Polish flag was burned for one reason only and that reason is that it's identified with Catholicism.

The sooner parades on both sides have to start to pay for their own policing the better, it's a question that has been mooted now for a few years and support is growing for it.

getz wrote: »
    are you saying its only the loyalists in northern ireland who are racist against polish citizens ?then read racist attacts on poles in fingles,swords and baseball bats were used in a night of violance in the north dublin suburb of fingles,the house in which they lived was attacted and daubed with swastikas and KKK symbols.www.indymedia/article/79204

Did Fingles and Swords get transported to Northern Ireland? Either that or your point falls miserably on it's face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

are you saying its only the loyalists in northern ireland who are racist against polish citizens ?then read racist attacts on poles in fingles,swords and baseball bats were used in a night of violance in the north dublin suburb of fingles,the house in which they lived was attacted and daubed with swastikas and KKK symbols.www.indymedia.ie/article/79204

The difference being that if they are caught behaving like that they will face the full rigour of the law. They are not police protected to march and force their archaic bigotry on communities that just want to get on with July.
    And nobody in the south turns a blind eye if they are caught again and again and again proving that their organisation is rotten at the core.

derra wrote: »

So you think that burn flags because of what happened 3 years ago?
    Be sirious, please

karma_ wrote: »
    This has got nothing to do with it, the Polish flag was burned for one reason only and that reason is that it's identified with Catholicism.

The sooner parades on both sides have to start to pay for their own policing the better, it's a question that has been mooted now for a few years and support is growing for it.

Skip to 1:30 and explain this example of hate coming from the hands of the police officer. You call out issue from 3 years ago, but you forgot to look in a mirror recently.

If you want there is a massive amount of material online proving British intolerance towards foreigners and self-centered approach to surrounding world.
    Burning Polish flags is YET ANOTHER example of what I said before. I was quiet for more than 7 years. Brits / Loyalists / Protestants gave us NEXT excuse to complain and raise this issue as high as we can.
    Maybe majority of Polish can’t express their anger in English, but trust me that there is an outrage on polish portals and social networks.
    It will backfire heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Happyman42 wrote: »
    You shouldn't really be commenting when you either ignore or don't know the nuances.

Cheers for your thoughts, but I'm happy enough to continue commenting.
    Polish flags are burned because of the Catholic history of that country. Indeed had the bigots remained in oppressive power in the north, a special kind of welcome would have been reserved for our Polish friends.
    This sectarian organisation sees anything Catholic as a threat and worthy of their special bigotted attention.
    They will **** on the Crown too if it prevents them from protecting their archaic way of praising the lord.

Sectarianism plays a lowly second fiddle to localism in this instance. The OO couldn't care less about Poland - the motivation is the kneejerk response to Poles living in this little patch.

The difference being that if they are caught behaving like that they will face the full rigour of the law. They are not police protected to march and force their archaic bigotry on communities that just want to get on with July.
    And nobody in the south turns a blind eye if they are caught again and again and again proving that their organisation is rotten at the core.
    right so the victims are only the republican and nationalist communities,sorry officer i only had that petrol bomb because a loyalist pipe band was walking passed,the gun was not mine,the car was already on fire,and so was the shops. take off your green glasses and see northern ireland as it is,one big sectarian sh..house

• Advertisement

So what you say is that lawlessness is natural to sustain local traditions. **** the law, we will do whatever we want, “Because we British”. Come on, give me a break.
    I said it before and I say it again.
    I don’t give a flying f**k about your deals between ROI and NI but stay away from other nations flags as it is described in a law books as “Hate Crime”

Straw man arguments don't impress. Try engaging with the actual points made, eh?

Did Fingles and Swords get transported to Northern Ireland? Either that or your point falls miserably on it's face.

Or your point does. Different geography and idiots, same kneejerk localism.

Straw man arguments don't impress. Try engaging with the actual points made, eh?

That's ironic coming from a lad who refuses to talk about what the thread was actually about.

Skip to 1:30 and explain this example of hate coming from the hands of the police officer.

eh? You're not confusing a band member in a daft costume with the PSNI are you? The guy filming spoke in positive terms about the police reaction to his situation.

Or your point does. Different geography and idiots, same kneejerk localism.

And when it happens in Dublin, everyone can be disgusted with it! When it happens on a massive scale in NI, it gets defended by the likes of yourself. Show me the logic.

That's ironic coming from a lad who refuses to talk about what the thread was actually about.

1. It wouldn't be irony, even if true.
    2. It's not true.

And when it happens in Dublin, everyone can be disgusted with it! When it happens on a massive scale in NI, it gets defended by the likes of yourself. Show me the logic.

Logic?

Who's defending this? Are you prone to other hallucinations?

take off your green glasses and see northern ireland as it is,one big sectarian sh..house

Thank you. I would like to extend your comment...

I have travelled through nearly all EU countries (Latvia, Check Rep, Slovakia, Austria, Germany, Holland, Sweden...) Belfast is THE ONLY place where such acts of “Hate” are tolerated and excused.

Some people should pull their head from their asses and grow up.

We live in an EU community for decade and I am surprised that it is not enough for some to realise that NI became a part of much wider community of different nationalities.

This is a celebration of “Protestant church conquering catholic nation in 1690”, during that celebration other Catholic countries are dragged into the conflict.

Don’t you think that it would be better to celebrate unity with the rest of EU countries? Don’t you think that instead going backwards and celebrate sectarian victory it would be better to join hands and come up with something that is not offensive towards “OTHER”?

Self-righteous, selfish, baboons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Sheer sectarianism, its cause polish people tend to be catholic

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Basically just irrelevant pathetic saddos fluting around the countryside clinging to their anachronism agenda, acting like children trying to get a rise out of people. Sad is the only word i can use to describe them. Feel sorry for the ordinary people in NI who have to put up with their contemptible little circle-jerks.

• Advertisement

This is a celebration of “Protestant church conquering catholic nation in 1690”

No it's not. It's a celebration of a Dutch Protestant monarch ousting a Catholic monarch in the same nation - already comprised primarily of, and governed by a Protestant-dominated parliament.

Logic?

Who's defending this? Are you prone to other hallucinations?

Your entire argument in this thread from the word Go has basically been - 'Let them, and if you don't like it go down south like a pan-nationalist fronter(lol).'

You couldn't even bring yourself to condemn the actions of that band? Why not?

The sad truth is that what happened in that video is not shocking in the slightest, the only difference this time around is that in this day and age it's going to get caught on camera.

However, I should also point out that this is tame compared to what used to go on. It used to be much much worse. We can all be thankful that year on year the OO is losing ground and much of it's influence and I have no doubt that in the next 20 years this will become much less of an issue.

No it's not. It's a celebration of a Dutch Protestant monarch ousting a Catholic monarch in the same nation - already comprised primarily of, and governed by a Protestant-dominated parliament.

Whatever - it is still sactarianizm

Thank you. I would like to extend your comment...

I have travelled through nearly all EU countries (Latvia, Check Rep, Slovakia, Austria, Germany, Holland, Sweden...) Belfast is THE ONLY place where such acts of “Hate” are tolerated and excused.

Some people should pull their head from their asses and grow up.

We live in an EU community for decade and I am surprised that it is not enough for some to realise that NI became a part of much wider community of different nationalities.

This is a celebration of “Protestant church conquering catholic nation in 1690”, during that celebration other Catholic countries are dragged into the conflict.

Don’t you think that it would be better to celebrate unity with the rest of EU countries? Don’t you think that instead going backwards and celebrate sectarian victory it would be better to join hands and come up with something that is not offensive towards “OTHER”?

Self-righteous, selfish, baboons!
    polish citizens have always been welcomed in britain,even from the 1040s polish people have lived and intergrated with british society ,every town and city has a polish club,in 2010 here was over 458.000 poles living in the UK more than any other EU country ,does that sound like the racist british to you,

Your entire argument in this thread from the word Go has basically been - 'Let them, and if you don't like it go down south like a pan-nationalist fronter(lol).'

You couldn't even bring yourself to condemn the actions of that band? Why not?

So - I wasn't defending any of it - just like every other poster on this thread. Cheers for that.

And yeah - refusing to get outraged by idiocy is the best way of dealing with idiots looking for attention.

polish citizens have always been welcomed in britain,even from the 1040s polish people have lived and intergrated with british society ,every town and city has a polish club,in 2010 here was over 458.000 poles living in the UK more than any other EU country ,does that sound like the racist british to you,

And since when did a bunch of loyalist spides with a bonfire represent British anything?

Tommy clearly stated he was talking about Belfast, he did not mention Britain, so just why the fcuk are you posting this garbage?

Tommy clearly stated he was talking about Belfast, he did not mention Britain, so just why the fcuk are you posting this garbage?

Ehh:
    If you want there is a massive amount of material online proving British intolerance towards foreigners and self-centered approach to surrounding world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Cheers for your thoughts, but I'm happy enough to continue commenting.
    You can, but you are as transparent as a newly washed window.

Sectarianism plays a lowly second fiddle to localism in this instance. The OO couldn't care less about Poland - the motivation is the kneejerk response to Poles living in this little patch.
    Is the stated aim of the OO, to 'protect Protestantism from religious despotism' got anything to do with breeding the type of individual that stood outside that church?
    Sectarianism needs collusion to survive, your belittling of it is the same strategy that has been used by the Orange infested powers that be for years in the North. But it is coming to an end, the world can see what is going on here. The bigots have alienated those that they so want to be, first (the British) and now they are putting their leaders (the UUP and DUP) out on a political limb where they will have to deny them. The moderates in the OO have jumped the ship long ago. What we are witnessing is the last cries of officially sanctioned sectarianism.
    right so the victims are only the republican and nationalist communities,sorry officer i only had that petrol bomb because a loyalist pipe band was walking passed,the gun was not mine,the car was already on fire,and so was the shops. take off your green glasses and see northern ireland as it is,one big sectarian sh..house

You just don't get what is going on. The OO are forcing reaction right across the political sphere. What we see on the streets is just the tip of the iceberg. They are holed below the water too, they are masters of political isolation.
    About the only thing that would bring me on to the streets of Dublin would be to protest these neanderthals getting to march in the capital. That would probably be the biggest mistake the OO ever made in a long line of mistakes.

• Advertisement

Ehh:

Touche.

Advertisement