Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circumcision???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

lcrcboy wrote: »
    I could have gone to the mens lunge forum or whatever its called, but I thought this topic would better suit after hours as we have women on here as-well.

So my question is this do you agree with circumcision or are you against it, would approve of it been done to your son or not??... and has it been done to you (this question for the lads).

Personally I'm against it unless its down to medical reasons for which it needs to be done.

options needed are
    i'm male and i agree only if its medically required
    i'm female and i agree only if its medically required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Duggy747 wrote: »
    No foreskin = No cock cheese :pac:

Having all your teeth removed would also prevent cavities and bad breath, but I don't think many people would be too keen on that approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm expecting a baby boy in the next month and there is no way in hell I would consent to him having a circumcision, unless there was was a strong medical reason for it.

He will be perfect without having to have any bit of him cut off. Also, I will be teaching him how to clean himself properly so the cleanliness argument is moot.

Also I'm not religious but the religious argument never made sense to me, I mean if god created us in his image, why do we have to chop bits of ourselves off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Spoonman75 wrote: »
    As someone on this thread already mentioned, the foreskin has several useful purposes in the human male.
    Spoonman75 wrote: »
    I mean, you're taught at an early age to wash your hands.

Yes I understand that but I'd still say your responses are ambiguous :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Around 40% of the women who voted agree with it? wtf... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

smash wrote: »

They are probably Muslim, Jewish, or just ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

smash wrote: »

I wonder what the reaction would be if the men voted in a similar ratio for female circumcision

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Also I'm not religious but the religious argument never made sense to me, I mean if god created us in his image, why do we have to chop bits of ourselves off?
    It's a primitive blood sacrifice rite really. Common enough in religions. Also a cultural marker. I'm Jewish/Muslim therefore...
    --Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I wonder what the reaction would be if the men voted in a similar ratio for female circumcision
    No doubt outrage, but people are rarely objective about their own culture. There are a number of US based groups fighting against female genital mutilation in other cultures and most don't see the irony of automatically removing bits of their own newborn sons genitals. But it's OK when your culture does something, but if the others/wogs/thirdworlders/non jew/christian does it? OHMIGAAAWD!

Worse their doctors are usually hellbent on the practice. Mate of mine married an American lass and they had a son. He had to fight tooth and nail against the medical staff automatically having his son circumcised. The bullshít he was fed about it was unreal. He actually stopped a nurse taking his child away to have it done, although he had already made his feelings known(as did his wife) and even threatened to sue their arses. Given he's a solicitor by trade this was no idle threat. She told him he was being a bad father. Morons.

It was medical fashion* here and in the UK for a time too, but we grew out of it. Hell look back not so long ago at the appalling suffering meted out by doctors where women in this country underwent dodgy reproductive surgeries(with government and church backing). "Doctor always knows best" is not always true. If you're a patient, research research research. 90% of the time the doctors will be correct, but better to check anyway.

*Medicine like any human endeavour can have fashions/trends. In my age group every single friend of mine had their tonsils out. It was almost a rite of passage. Then there were glue ear operations, antibiotics for everyone in the audience(I would worry anti depressants are similar today), before that routine circumcisions. During such trends received wisdom tends to cocoon itself from objective debate. IMHO received wisdom should always be debated as it's an area most likely to hide mistakes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

European Jewish and Muslim groups have joined forces to defend circumcision for young boys on religious grounds after a German regional court ruled it amounted to bodily harm.
    The ruling by the Cologne court - also criticised by the Israeli parliament - does not apply to the whole of Germany.

But Germany's Medical Association told doctors not to perform circumcisions.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18807040

No more snip-snip in parts of Germany then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Biggins wrote: »

Or maybe more snip-snip - Angela Merkel has decide to take great big shlt stirring oar and help boil the arugment up a bit:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18833145

Really? Why woman, why ????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I'm female and against it except for adult males who choose to have it done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Biggins wrote: »

Good call. If many are all too happy to laugh at/disapprove at religion and the religious and most see us moving beyond most of that guff, I don't see why removing the right of religious parents to mutilate their kids is such a big issue. Any form of female genital mutilation(even the least severe) is banned in most civilised nations, so don't see why this one should remain OK because of some bronze age daftness that continues to this day.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

It seems to be totally acceptable still in the US.:eek:

I couldn't believe when Christina María Aguilera ran off like a sheep and got her baby 'done' just cause her husband's faith still practices this hocus pocus nonsense.

What kinda f*cked up progressive thinking is that Christina?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It's a tricky issue to tackle because banning it would surely mean that circumcision would be driven underground. Driving circumcision underground would likely have the effect of increasing the rate of 'kitchen table surgery' which would result in the banning doing more harm than good.

I do think that the people who do partake in circumcision should have to fund their own regulated surgeries with qualified health workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Just curious but is it only a religous thing? Its been very common in our family on my fathers side. Were definatly not Jewish but my fathers side is a little more exotic than my mother's pure celt side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

its child abuse mutilation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Just curious but is it only a religous thing? Its been very common in our family on my fathers side. Were definatly not Jewish but my fathers side is a little more exotic than my mother's pure celt side.

No, it's not only religious as far as I know. Some people naively believe that it will improve their sex lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Also, I will be teaching him how to clean himself properly so the cleanliness argument is moot.

So do all parents give a pull and wash to their little fellas willy in the bath?

Pedant wrote: »
    No, it's not only religious as far as I know. Some people naively believe that it will improve their sex lives.

Actually it improves the sex lives of whoever I sleep with :P

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a tricky issue to tackle because banning it would surely mean that circumcision would be driven underground. Driving circumcision underground would likely have the effect of increasing the rate of 'kitchen table surgery' which would result in the banning doing more harm than good.
    Being cold about it, that's Darwin in effect. If parents are dumb enough to do this underground when it provides no benefit whatsoever, then the human race is better off without their offspring as members.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I imagine, but surely not the other way around. The foreskin is there for a reason; to keep the sensitivity of the glans.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I do think that the people who do partake in circumcision should have to fund their own regulated surgeries with qualified health workers.

I doubt too many would turn to the underground to have it done if there was a threat of a hefty jail sentence for doing so. It's an extreme form of child abuse at the end of the day, and it shouldn't be accepted by society as a whole just because it makes up part of a minority's faith system.

An individuals right to bodily integrity should always outweigh someone else's right to religious freedom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Pedant wrote: »

The lack of sensitivity would prolong the actual act of intercourse so you last 5 mins as oppose to 2 mins :)

Why am I talking about this online :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Why am I talking about this online :S

Why are you asking us ?:confused:

Why are you asking us ?:confused:

No idea really :S. Ah no Im unfotunatly the type that would talk about this offline to so no difference really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I had it done purely for medical reasons but I would never have had one if it wasn't nessecary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

seamus wrote: »
    Being cold about it, that's Darwin in effect. If parents are dumb enough to do this underground when it provides no benefit whatsoever, then the human race is better off without their offspring as members.

Christ that is very cold.
    An individuals right to bodily integrity should always outweigh someone else's right to religious freedom.

Oh I'm in full agreement. I'm just wondering whether banning would be beneficial in the grand scheme of things. Perhaps a large serving of education with a drizzle of stigma would be a better approach?

I dunno.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I had it done purely for medical reasons but I would never have had one if it wasn't nessecary.

Mine wasnt medical but to be honest it doesnt bother me in the slightest. To the best of my knowledge it doesnt bother any girl I have been with either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Mine wasnt medical but to be honest it doesnt bother me in the slightest. To the best of my knowledge it doesnt bother any girl I have been with either.
    I had it done about age 11 or thereabouts so I guess I never had any experience from that point of view:)

Advertisement