Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CADETSHIPS 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SciencesPo

Davehopper wrote: »
    i aggree, its a ****in jke! ive aplide 5 yeers in row nd hvnt got in yet. ive aced d intervew every time. ive produce a record ov my flight hrs frm flight sim, which i mst say are impressive. ive told thm what i thnk the aer corp dose wrong nd was able 2 mke sugestions on how to improve the organisation.

lookin bak id say nt very many ppl came close 2 my standaard. i even have online awards for difficult flights completed in bad weather and all from both fsx and flight sim 2004. even still i woz unsuccseful every time. msut b a fukn FIX! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Well, obviously you didn't. You've applied 5 times, and failed 5 times. By this point, it's time to start getting the message - a career in the Aer Corps isn't for you, and never will be.

Anything over three attempts is seriously pushing it. Move on to another career - this just ain't made for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

SciencesPo wrote: »
    i aggree, its a ****in jke! ive aplide 5 yeers in row nd hvnt got in yet. ive aced d intervew every time. ive produce a record ov my flight hrs frm flight sim, which i mst say are impressive. ive told thm what i thnk the aer corp dose wrong nd was able 2 mke sugestions on how to improve the organisation.

lookin bak id say nt very many ppl came close 2 my standaard. i even have online awards for difficult flights completed in bad weather and all from both fsx and flight sim 2004. even still i woz unsuccseful every time. msut b a fukn FIX! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Well, obviously you didn't. You've applied 5 times, and failed 5 times. By this point, it's time to start getting the message - a career in the Aer Corps isn't for you, and never will be.

Anything over three attempts is seriously pushing it. Move on to another career - this just ain't made for you.

I'm pretty sure he is a troll, and a bad one at that. Look through some of his previous comments!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭Davehopper

SciencesPo wrote: »

tryin to wipe out competition for next year already? dont wory il be their.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 superbaby88

Anybody get word yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

The ability to communicate clearly and concisely is one of the competencies they are looking for. Text speak, punctuation and basic grammar or lack thereof will not cut it I'm afraid.

Remember its not just flight school your going to, you will be doing a grunt cadetship for the first 9 months or so until your spirited away to "the promised land" that is baldonnell to do the wings course. That means lugging rifles, grenade launchers and machineguns around the place, battle runs and all that other Infantry stuff.

Failure to pass the wings course results in being booted back to the curragh to do the remainder of an army cadetship.

The board aren't just looking for pilots, they are looking for someone who has the level of commitment that is required for a military officer who might not fly at the end of the day. They are going to ask themselves if this candidate wants to be a pilot and fails the wings course, will they simply quit, or will they have the fortitude to go back and do the army cadetship. That means being a cadet for up to three years. Three years of not getting home at weekends, not going out on the beer with your mates, being restricted to where you go, when you get to drive your car, uniform, room and weapon inspections every week, late nights, freezing your arse off in kilworth, the glen of imall and other horribly wet and cold locations around the country cradling your rifle in your sleeping bag. If your not up for all of that then I'd suggest you bin your application, it'd be a waste of a cadetship.

Many people apply multiple times, indeed some of the best officers have had to.

Edit : having looked at the post again and the references to MS Flight Sim I am convinced that this is a troll. It'd be like saying you've unlocked every achievement in battlefield or call of duty - can I have an army cadetship please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Safety

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    First of all I am sure the vacancies are not already filled, as that would be highly illegal! I'm sure they are conducting hundreds of interviews, would they really waste their time? From my (unsuccessful) experience of the process, the interview is purely competency based. Meaning your level 8 degree means zero if you cant show in the interview how it has helped you obtain those qualities. It sounds like you did well in the technical side of things. Maybe you didn't perform as well in the other 3 competencies? And as said before, the competition for the Air Corps competition of fierce.

My advice would be to accept failure, I know it's hard. Stop blaming others for your lack of success and look critically upon your own performance, see what you can improve on and apply again next year. All the best.
    Hi Beasterly, From my overall evaluation I had thought the interview went well in all competencies. Hypothetically you are right, it would be illegal to have the positions filled already. Thats why there is public competition for these jobs and the interviewing of hundreds of people have to take place as that is the procedure. This still does not mean that their candidates are not already picked/selected. The only way of finding out for certain if this is the case is by seeing who actually gets offered the cadetship and observing if there is a link between that person and a somewhat connection with someone in the Air Corps/Dept of Defence. I am not saying I am right but thats the impression I got as mentioned. I totally accept If I am wrong if proven. Take care.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

RETARD

[Mod]Your name hasn't come across my radar before. Consider this your warning that if you have a disagreement with a post, a little more civility and a little more explanation is required.[/mod]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Was just wondering if anyone has got any response back after the group assessment yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Yup, heard back. Interviews this week. They will be contacting anyone due in this week first.

Cheers, brother did his not too long ago and I'm just wondering what his chances are if he hasn't heard back yet.

• Advertisement

Cheers, brother did his not too long ago and I'm just wondering what his chances are if he hasn't heard back yet.

They are ringing everyone who said they can do an interview this week first. So once they are out of the way they will get round to ringing the rest. So no news may still be good news. Apparently everyone should know by end of week one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Eoin Stapleton

Hi folks,

I'm invited to the assessment centre in Baldonnel on Saturday and have a couple of questions:
    1. What tests are being conducted? The email specifies aptitude tests only, presumably numerical, verbal and spatial reasoning? The original email stated that the psychological and psychomotor tests are being done at the same time as the final interview, but I can't fathom the need to be in Baldonnell for most of the day Saturday just to do a few psychometric tests, is there something more?
    2. Has anyone set eyes on a document with sample psychometric questions, similar to the army/navy version that was posted earlier in this thread?
    3. What is the dress code, if any?

Thanks for any subsequent help, greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hopefulaplican

I didn't get passed the interview for the Air Corps. This must be some sort of mistake as I felt I performed very well. I really don't understand it, I have a level 8 degree in marketing and when I was there for the interviews it was full of what seemed like 12 year olds. How do I appeal the decision?

I didn't get passed the interview for the Air Corps. This must be some sort of mistake as I felt I performed very well. I really don't understand it, I have a level 8 degree in marketing and when I was there for the interviews it was full of what seemed like 12 year olds. How do I appeal the decision?

As far as I know, all decisions are final. The best you might be able to do is find how where you need to improve and come back better prepared the next time around.

As far as I know, all decisions are final. The best you might be able to do is find how where you need to improve and come back better prepared the next time around.

That's the thing, i don't feel i need to improve, I performed very well. Therefore I would like to appeal the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

That's the thing, i don't feel i need to improve, I performed very well. Therefore I would like to appeal the decision.

Are you taking the piss? You realise it's a very competitive competition? And as far as I know it's a set number who make it through the preliminary interview, so you might have scored well but just not quite well enough.

I think you need to accept the result and show some respect to the competition and the other applicants.

And just in case you want to apply next year, I wouldn't be too quick to tell them they got it "wrong".

Are you taking the piss? You realise it's a very competitive competition? And as far as I know it's a set number who make it through the preliminary interview, so you might have scored well but just not quite well enough.

I think you need to accept the result and show some respect to the competition and the other applicants.

And just in case you want to apply next year, I wouldn't be too quick to tell them they got it "wrong".

No I'm not taking the piss, I am very intent on pursuing this career. Yes I realise there is a lot of competition, but I believe I am a much better candidate than most. Why should I have to apply next year if I think I did good enough this time? So does anybody have an answer to my original question?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Why should I have to apply next year if I think I did good enough this time?

Because the people whose opinions in this matter actually count (i.e. the interview board) disagree with your opinion.
    So does anybody have an answer to my original question?

There is no mechanism of appeal. You're entitled to a detailed performance review, which you request in writing and which will give an analysis of your performance. If you really are as good as you say you are, you'll be anxious to get this information and see what you have to work on, in the eyes of those you're trying to appeal to. If you think you're fine as is, find something else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

No I'm not taking the piss, I am very intent on pursuing this career. Yes I realise there is a lot of competition, but I believe I am a much better candidate than most. Why should I have to apply next year if I think I did good enough this time? So does anybody have an answer to my original question?

The fact you have a level 8 really means nothing if you can't back it up. The "12 year olds" remark you use is completely condescending and they clearly have the same goal as you to get into the air corp. If that's your attitude and your looking to join a career where you will be a leader I suggest you re-asses your attitude and learn from it. No one will EVER perform a perfect interview. Even if you got into the Air Corp you should be looking to where you went wrong and looking to improve. That's how a true leader would act!!

I'm still in the running for it and I have a level 8 with Marketing too. As you can see it doesn't make a difference, it is how you perform and how competent you are for the job. It's not a job to take lightly! Arrogance will get you no where.

I'd take a good long hard look for "arrogance" under any FOI material you get back on request.

I hope that you are taking the piss. A cadetship is one of the most highly competitive positions in the country at the minute. How exactly do you figure that you are "better than most":confused:?? Do you intimately know every one of the thousands of applicants??! In answer to your question about "why should I have to apply next year?"..Don't.

Your attitude is terrible. Confidence is one thing arrogance is another. Its not about how awesome you think you are, it's about how awesome the board think you are.

If you feel your degree and age makes you a better candidate than most. Heres a snap shot of 2 lads I met during group assessments for the army.

1 lad a laywer with a Masters in Int. Law AND a BA in Computer Science with 10 years experience in the army reserve, marathon runner. 2nd Time going for cadets.

Another guy I know very well, degree in international relations, with a masters in Military history, 9 years experience in the army reserve, county level hurler. 3rd time going for cadets.

Both of which in my opinion should be top choices for a cadetship. What makes you better?

Having a level 8 gets you a bonus 10 points regardless of discipline. Thats it. The rest is down to your performance at group and interview stages.

• Advertisement

I already answered it: there isn't any method to appeal the board's decision. Ultimately your opinion as to your suitability as a candidate is irrelevant compared to the board's opinion.

And frankly, I'd have to agree with how the others have assessed your attitude with regards to this. You've shown not only a shocking level of conceitedness, but also a reprehensible level of disrespect to others who have gone forward for the cadetships. Rather than continuing to demean those who have been successful, you should (as I said originally) be reviewing where you could improve and focus on becoming a better candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

to repeat

Remember its not just flight school your going to, you will be doing a grunt cadetship for the first 9 months or so until your spirited away to "the promised land" that is baldonnell to do the wings course. That means lugging rifles, grenade launchers and machineguns around the place, battle runs and all that other Infantry stuff.

Failure to pass the wings course results in being booted back to the curragh to do the remainder of an army cadetship.

The board aren't just looking for pilots, they are looking for someone who has the level of commitment that is required for a military officer who might not fly at the end of the day. They are going to ask themselves if this candidate wants to be a pilot and fails the wings course, will they simply quit, or will they have the fortitude to go back and do the army cadetship. That means being a cadet for up to three years. Three years of not getting home at weekends, not going out on the beer with your mates, being restricted to where you go, when you get to drive your car, uniform, room and weapon inspections every week, late nights, freezing your arse off in kilworth, the glen of imall and other horribly wet and cold locations around the country cradling your rifle in your sleeping bag. If your not up for all of that then I'd suggest you bin your application, it'd be a waste of a cadetship.

I already answered it: there isn't any method to appeal the board's decision. Ultimately your opinion as to your suitability as a candidate is irrelevant compared to the board's opinion.

And frankly, I'd have to agree with how the others have assessed your attitude with regards to this. You've shown not only a shocking level of conceitedness, but also a reprehensible level of disrespect to others who have gone forward for the cadetships. Rather than continuing to demean those who have been successful, you should (as I said originally) be reviewing where you could improve and focus on becoming a better candidate.

Well then I'll just chalk it up to a mistake on their part and will have to wait for next year to come round, fairly inconvenient to be honest! Attitude? That's your opinion! :rolleyes:
    neilled wrote: »
    to repeat

I think you are underestimating me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Well then I'll just chalk it up to a mistake on their part and will have to wait for next year to come round, fairly inconvenient to be honest! Attitude? That's your opinion! :rolleyes:

I think you are underestimating me.

Eh lads, this is quite clearly a troll with a superiority complex. I've just had a look back through this thread and this is the same lad who was asking if they check I.D. and could he get away with sending someone into the interview in his place. (Surely not something someone so conceited would need).

@hopefulaplican - you didn't actually send someone in your place in the end, did you?

You're probably right Topper, not going to bother with it any further. I'd just feel sorry for anyone who'd lose out a place to someone with that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

You're probably right Topper, not going to bother with it any further. I'd just feel sorry for anyone who'd lose out a place to someone with that attitude.

To be honest I wouldn't say it was hard to spot!

Eh lads, this is quite clearly a troll with a superiority complex. I've just had a look back through this thread and this is the same lad who was asking if they check I.D. and could he get away with sending someone into the interview in his place. (Surely not something someone so conceited would need).

@hopefulaplican - you didn't actually send someone in your place in the end, did you?

I never asked that at all! I am appalled by that allegation. I was just making sure that the necessary security procedures were in place, you know how public servants are and all that!

I never asked that at all! I am appalled by that allegation. I was just making sure that the necessary security procedures were in place, you know how public servants are and all that!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78356217&postcount=13
    Hey folks, do they check for photo ID on the day of interviews and/or fitness tests for the Air Corps??? If you could let me know quick that would be great!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78357360&postcount=18
    Just say in a hypothetical situation, if for some reason a candidate decided they were unable to do the test/interview could a surrogate candidate step in without being caught?

I am moved by the sincerity of your outrage. :rolleyes:

This thread is being derailed by a Troll / arrogant chap with a superiority complex (I'm not sure which to be honest). Can this be put back on track for those who are actually going forward for final interviews??

Hopefulaplican, best of luck for next application. Hopefully when you recieve your FOI you will review your attitude listen to some of the sage advice that the experienced boardsies have offered and go forward honestly.

Anyone in this week?

• Advertisement

And where did I say that I was going to get somebody else to do it? I didn't, as I have already made clear, I wouldn't need to do that. I have already outlined my motives for making that inquiry.

In my opinion, people here have inferiority complexes and are trying to tar me to better their own chances. I have every right to contact a moderator.

Advertisement