Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swedish house mafia stabbings (Updated Mod Warning Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

CptSternn wrote: »
    Is talking about MCD still forbidden on this site?

Sure is, yet this thread is 61 pages long

There's gotta be some red faced mods out there right now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭R019912

Vinta81 wrote: »
    As MCD in their statement the VAST majority of the crowd were fine, it was a very, very minor amount of people that caused hassle. It's awful what happened to those people but not everyone who went to the gig should be labelled in the same manor as the people who caused the trouble.

I'm far from a low life.

Yup same here. But it's easy for other people who weren't there to jump on the bandwagon and assume that those of us who went just to enjoy ourselves (and there were many) as scumbags like the select few fools that caused trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

R019912 wrote: »
    Same here, the level of ignorance being shown by some people is pathetic. Basically just because SHM are a dance act, according to some people the only people who enjoy dance music are lowlife scumbags.

Agree with you to a certain extent. I too like dance music and know that there would have been thousands and thousands at the gig who were there to have a good time. However dance music seems to be the genre that gets the scumbag crowd. There are none of these issues at Leonard Cohen in Vicar Street (exaggerating to make a point).

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sarabroderick

yeah but that was obviously after he got in?
    What about posting a link to the new story about the nine stabbings and three people who died of drug overdoses?

This makes me laugh. I was at the gig and hundreds of people were drinking outside like lunatics. I saw people collapsed / fighting / pissing / puking for miles outside the gig. This idea that the very second they get inside the door with their ticket the promoter is wholly responsible is flipping typical in this country. Clearly something needs to change here but people need to be logical.

Like they are responsible for people taking drugs and deciding to go mental?

I was searched metal detector etc saw a guy punch someone in the pit and security removed him in a flash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭R019912

Agree with you to a certain extent. I too like dance music and know that there would have been thousands and thousands at the gig who were there to have a good time. However dance music seems to be the genre that gets the scumbag crowd. There are none of these issues at Leonard Cohen in Vicar Street (exaggerating to make a point).

I'd agree with the point you're making - dance music does attract more people of a scumbag nature. It's just annoying when you see comments labelling basically everyone who went as "skobes/scumbags"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Heh, say what you want, but the music does play a part in this ordeal. You don't see this kind of behaviour at a Barry Manilow concert. ;)

But seriously, Snoop Dog brings out the real scangers wearing track suits tucked into their socks. How did anyone NOT see this coming?

I'm not saying ban the music, that would be wrong, but be SMART like they are in America. You have to treat events like this with an army of security, run them through metal detectors, pat them down TWICE, and basically pretend it's a prison instead of a concert venue.

Go to a Snoop Dog concert in America and see how the security there is setup. They don't take chances and it feels a bit like you are entering a prison BUT that is the trade off for security. Events like this, or any 'gangsta rap' artists need to be locked down properly, else, there will be a body count. It's part of the culture. Hell, listen to the lyrics to the music and watch a few videos. They aren't selling drugs and shooting each other in America while listening to New Order.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

batistuta9 wrote: »
    the majority of this thread is BS from people who haven't the slightest idea or any experience of what their talking about, but think they know it all - pretty much like any thread in here that goes beyond a certain number of pages.

see below

bit of an exaggeration
    i don;t think so...i doubt more than a few were carrying weapons?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭criticalcritic

Im perplexed at all the comments that everything was fine at that concert

It was clear living beside the park and witnessing the sheer madness happening outside the gates and rough element gearing up for trouble
    Something nasty was bound to happen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Bambi wrote: »
    Sure is, yet this thread is 61 pages long

There's gotta be some red faced mods out there right now :)

:confused::confused:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055578947

it hasnt been banned for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sarabroderick

they need to stop / control the drinking, it is too much, the level of drinking was ****ing out of control. I mean like completely out of control.

I dont have a proposed comprehensive solution but if people cant control their drinking legislate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

It's not a lack of sensitivity, I said earlier in this thread that I was at the gig, had a fantastic time but I just didn't see any of what was reported (obviously not saying it didn't happen, I just wasn't around any trouble). It was a pure shock to all of us to wake up yesterday and hear the news. Don't generalize, not everyone was off their heads and engaging in violence.

Yeah to be fair 45,000 people is a large volume of people so I'm sure lots of people didn't see any trouble
    The stabbings are definitely out of the ordinary but people have died at Electric Picnic and other events before. People who were there would be shocked to learn this but I don't think it's insensitive for them to say they'd a good time at the gig
    Assuming they are not saying the enjoyed it because of the violence

A woman died at a Britney Spears concert last year - no assumptions were made about her at the time nor was anyone berated for saying they enjoyed the gig.
    It would still have been shocking to learn someone died at / outside the gig

CptSternn wrote: »
    Heh, say what you want, but the music does play a part in this ordeal. You don't see this kind of behaviour at a Barry Manilow concert. ;)

But seriously, Snoop Dog brings out the real scangers wearing track suits tucked into their socks. How did anyone NOT see this coming?

I'm not saying ban the music, that would be wrong, but be SMART like they are in America. You have to treat events like this with an army of security, run them through metal detectors, pat them down TWICE, and basically pretend it's a prison instead of a concert venue.

Go to a Snoop Dog concert in America and see how the security there is setup. They don't take chances and it feels a bit like you are entering a prison BUT that is the trade off for security. Events like this, or any 'gangsta rap' artists need to be locked down properly, else, there will be a body count. It's part of the culture. Hell, listen to the lyrics to the music and watch a few videos. They aren't selling drugs and shooting each other in America while listening to New Order.
    ah go away....cannibal corpse have tunes about rape and pounding skulls in with hammers and their gigs are great crack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/irishsun/irishsunnews/4418443/Horror-in-the-park.html
    There were also unconfirmed reports that an off-duty garda was given a vicious beating after he was recognised by a brutal drugs gang.

If that turns out to be true ^^^, well what can you do with people that have no fear of police. You cant blame anything or anyone other the idividuals that did the stabbings/assaults ect.

I was outside the gig (got let down with tickets) and everyone coming and going were having a good time, I was talking to a few people leaving the gig early and saying the craic was better outside and i was lucky i didnt waste my money getting in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

As MCD in their statement the VAST majority of the crowd were fine
    If MCD say it, then it must be true.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Zascar wrote: »
    Being off your face does not make you do something like this. Being a filthy scumbag does.

I completely agree, plenty of people use recreational drugs and have a few drinks at a gig and don't hurt anyone. This guy is a scummer and should be dealt with as such.

I was merely pointing out the lack of clear reasoning behind the attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭batistuta9

i don;t think so...i doubt more than a few were carrying weapons?

the organised gang & they were probably/solely responsible bit i was on about

yeah obviously not everyone of them would've been carrying a knife & all the stabbing mightn't have been with knifes either, they report getting stuck with a bottle as a stabbing just usually so people most likely assume knife.

but the guy in court today is said to have done 3/4 of these, at random too, which is worse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Savman wrote: »
    If MCD say it, then it must be true.

What?

:rolleyes:

batistuta9 wrote: »
    the organised gang & they were probably/solely responsible bit i was on about

yeah obviously not everyone of them would've been carrying a knife & all the stabbing mightn't have been with knifes either, they report getting stuck with a bottle as a stabbing just usually so people most likely assume knife.

but the guy in court today is said to have done 3/4 of these, at random too, which is worse
    What i meant by organised was the fact they went to the trouble of carrying weapons,..."wallet...check....ticket...check....blade..."

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kabar

I live in the Ashtown area and things started to get ugly in the early afternoon well before the concert. Usual scenes: large groups of drunken teenagers harassing the people on the streets, a lot of verbal violence, trash everywhere. Two teenagers stole a couple of cases of beer from the local liquor store but the owner couldn't catch them. Not a single Garda around.
    This is usually a very quiet area, it is a shame to see it being 'raped' by such scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The quick solution to this kind of thing is incredibly unpalatable: lots of cops, appropriately armed and with the mandate to use as much force as they deem necessary in the situation they're facing.

i.e. let the cops beat seven shades of ****e out of any scumbags they see causing trouble.

Unfortunately in our attempts to create/maintain a civil society we've created a system of law that only really works for those who respect it.

• Advertisement

Feel sorry for Michael D.
    Must have been tossing and turning all night, either that or off his face raving at the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I completely agree, plenty of people use recreational drugs and have a few drinks at a gig and don't hurt anyone. This guy is a scummer and should be dealt with as such.

I was merely pointing out the lack of clear reasoning behind the attacks.
    But every time you take (some) drugs, there's a chance you're going to do something that doesn't make a lot of logical sense. Like stab people.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

I'm not against having concerts in the park because in London they can manage events like Hard Rock Calling and just yesterday the Wireless festival in Hyde Park. But in Dublin, a concert in the park turns into an absolute knacker fest.

In my opinion if other cities and countries can host similar concerts (with similar acts) without stabbing and deaths then in my opinion MCD and the authorities are completely at fault for not ensuring public safety at this concert.

I'd love to know how many police officers were tasked to this concert, I'd love to know how many marshals and contract security were employed at this concert and then compare to similar concerts (Wireless festival, Hard Rock Calling, T in the Park etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭giggle84

I was there on Saturday and had a great day, despite the mild sense of shame at being from Dublin and surrounded by knackers all day. People were openly doing drugs all over the place, security was tight outside the gates but once inside was practically non-existant.. from the time I got inside at about 4pm to the time I left at 9.30pm (didn't fancy facing the crush to get out later) I saw a grand total of TWO Gardai!!! Also saw two seperate fights between girls while queuing for the toilets, that was really classy, not to mention the orange bum cheeks everywhere. But maybe, at 27, I was just too old to be there.

I didn't hear any of the horror stories until yesterday and I am disgusted and mortified that people around the world and at home will read about this and think that this is all the youth of Ireland has to offer.. drunken, drugged-up, anti-social behaviour and stabbing people for the craic.

Forcible sterilisation anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

If we find out that the guy who did all these stabbings is from "a leafy south Dublin suburb" I'd say this thread will probably break the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

It's strange that football matches bring just as many of these people out as concerts, and confine them in similar sized spaces, but they pride themselves on their behaviour at matches - the best fans in the world, etc.

Is it something to do with the music that brings out the worst in them?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

If we find out that the guy who did all these stabbings is from "a leafy south Dublin suburb" I'd say this thread will probably break the internet.
    I believe the accused is from Clondalkin, so no. :pac:

Bruce7 wrote: »

Yes, hidden frequencies, that older generation cannot hear.
    boom, boom, boom, tshhhh, boooom, booom, tishhhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I think that the drugs probably had a lot to do with the stabbings: even if he was the ultimate scobe, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to go on a stabbing rampage at a concert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Bruce7 wrote: »
    It's strange that football matches bring just as many of these people out as concerts, and confine them in similar sized spaces, but they pride themselves on their behaviour at matches - the best fans in the world, etc.

Yeah its the music, if you listen to some of them beats backwards they give instructions on how to stab people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement