Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swedish house mafia stabbings (Updated Mod Warning Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Zascar wrote: »
    Really? I think its one of the better threads I've seen in a long time in after hours. Its rare to see one that actually has proper discussion and not just loads of 'your ma' and 'blast him with piss' etc

Yep,

I'm not going to argue it out with you though, you have your opinion and I have mine,

I would like to see a slight bit more sensitivity displayed towards the death of 21 year old Shane Brophy,

in the light of some posters generalising all of the atendees as 'scum' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

RIP Shane Brophy.

Nobody knows the facts, very unfair to call the attendees (or majority of attendees) scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The stabbings had nothing to do with drugs and everything to do with scumbags..A normal person wouldn't bring a knife to a gig. Where I was standing at the stoneroses everyone was off their face and well behaved.

wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Sure...
    Are you comparing marijuana to ecstasy? :confused:
    Do you drink alcohol Prop Joe and do you think people that drink alcohol are "f**king Gob****es"?
    Ah, the sweet sound of someone who has been well and truly shut up. We can all come on to internet forums anonymously and tell people to cop on without even bothering to read what they said. Chapeau
    Quiet down there princess, you're full of it.

Any fool can shut their eyes to the waves of human shît that attended that concert if they like....you were in your little bubble, didn't notice much so go around claiming it was a normal gig. It wasn't.

Really? I think its one of the better threads I've seen in a long time in after hours. Its rare to see one that actually has proper discussion and not just loads of 'your ma' and 'blast him with piss' etc

Are the above quotes posts your idea of a proper discussion? And these are just from this page.

Should be closed or at least delete the waves of Bullsh!t that has been sprouted, but the latter wouldn't leave a whole lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭R019912

Are the above quotes posts your idea of a proper discussion? And these are just from this page.

Should be closed or at least delete the waves of Bullsh!t that has been sprouted, but the latter wouldn't leave a whole lot.

Says the chap who comes on and spouts his own bull**** about other people spouting bull****. Nobody is forcing you to read this discussion so why bother reading it? And even worse, why bother commenting on it and complaining?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

A discussion ranging from blaming: Scumbags, the parents, dance music or chart music, drink, the youth, illegal drugs, MCD, Dublin City Council... I even read someone on TheJournal.ie who was convinced it was the fault of the lighting!

Hysterical thread is hysterical.

There are stabbings up and down the country every weekend in the wee hours. Imagine there were 45,000 people on the piss all day on Harcourt street, and they could all fit into coppers / diceys etc... result would be similar. Nobody gives a monkeys until something happens at a big event.

All said, better than your average AH thread, but the bar is set very low in that regard.

No. 9 stabbings and 3 deaths at a concert is not normal or acceptable no matter how you dress it up.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,055 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Paparazzo wrote: »
    No. 9 stabbings and 3 deaths at a concert is not normal or acceptable no matter how you dress it up.

there has only been one drugs related death confirmed to be associated with the concert.

lets get the facts correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I was at Florence/Snow Patrol last night and, while it was infinitely better behaved than SHM, there were so many drunken/drugged up summers around. Instead of kicking back and enjoying the gig we were mainly keeping an eye out for trouble. Lads were shoving each other down in the muck and starting rows. etc.
    This is why we can't have nice things :(

R019912 wrote: »
    Says the chap who comes on and spouts his own bull**** about other people spouting bull****. Nobody is forcing you to read this discussion so why bother reading it? And even worse, why bother commenting on it and complaining?

Noting that the thread is completely insensitive to the death of a young person is not sprouting bullsh!t and if you think so fair enough.

I'm not being forced to read it no, I'm raging I did now, but I would hate to be a friend/relative of a victim who attended this concert to see them being called all sorts of names and being generalised in a horrible fashion.

Nice argument there by the way, You proved my point for me.

/I said my piece now I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There was a lovely relaxed atmosphere at the Roses

The only "trouble" i witnessed was some bloke who had peaked too soon and was marched out to the front gate

• Advertisement

Noting that the thread is completely insensitive to the death of a young person is not sprouting bullsh!t and if you think so fair enough.

I'm not being forced to read it no, I'm raging I did now, but I would hate to be a friend/relative of a victim who attended this concert to see them being called all sorts of names and being generalised in a horrible fashion.

Nice argument there by the way, You proved my point for me.

/I said my piece now I'm out.

Well my original argument on here was against people generalizing everyone who attended the gig as scum of the earth, until I was told to cop on by some ignorant twonk (for having the temerity to suggest that 99% of people who were there were well behaved)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Fm104 posted a link to the video on YouTube last night on Facebook, not sure if anyone here saw it...

Anyways there were hundreds of comments under it and the vast majority were saying "I witnessed nothing. It was the bet gig of my life as far as I'm concerned", followed by dozens of "likes".

Wtf is wrong with people? The lack of sensitivity is unreal. I couldn't believe people were "liking" these comments

I've worked at loads of these gigs before, the majority are scumbags. I've stood beside bar men that have had blood spat in their faces for refusing to serve alcohol to someone who's clearly had too much. It's sick

It's not a lack of sensitivity, I said earlier in this thread that I was at the gig, had a fantastic time but I just didn't see any of what was reported (obviously not saying it didn't happen, I just wasn't around any trouble). It was a pure shock to all of us to wake up yesterday and hear the news. Don't generalize, not everyone was off their heads and engaging in violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Vinta81 wrote: »
    It's not a lack of sensitivity, I said earlier in this thread that I was at the gig, had a fantastic time but I just didn't see any of what was reported (obviously not saying it didn't happen, I just wasn't around any trouble). It was a pure shock to all of us to wake up yesterday and hear the news. Don't generalize, not everyone was off their heads and engaging in violence.

Disliking the fact that the majority of people who attended the concert are branded as skobes too

Well my original argument on here was against people generalizing everyone who attended the gig as scum of the earth, until I was told to cop on by some ignorant twonk (for having the temerity to suggest that 99% of people who were there were well behaved)
    you're dead right....there was people mugged at knifepoint for tickets (apparently) that would sugest that an organised gang decided and planned to cause trouble. I would assume that any stabbings were linked to these guys and their friends. Therefore 99% of the crowd were fine (probably)..

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

sydthebeat wrote: »
    there has only been one drugs related death confirmed to be associated with the concert.

lets get the facts correct.

It was definitely on the radio this morning that one of the other two died after having attended the concert, but the third person it still isn't known if they attended.

Here's a link:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0709/1224319637580.html

& a partial quote from the article:
    THREE SUSPECTED drug-related deaths and nine stabbing incidents were under investigation last night after a concert in Dublin’s Phoenix Park.

A man who took ill at the concert on Saturday night later died at Connolly Hospital, Blanchardstown.

Another concert-goer from Co Laois died some hours after leaving the venue after falling ill in Ronanstown, west Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp3ms6wsYLI

dont know if this has been posted already.. this was apparently at 1pm

you need to sign into youtube to view it. its a clip of people fighting in the mud

you're dead right....there was people mugged at knifepoint for tickets (apparently) that would sugest that an organised gang decided and planned to cause trouble. I would assume that any stabbings were linked to these guys and their friends. Therefore 99% of the crowd were fine (probably)..

Actually a mate of mine worked security there and said the main guy stabbing people was just randomly slashing, no clear motive except being a scummer.

Actually a mate of mine worked security there and said the main guy stabbing people was just randomly slashing, no clear motive except being a scummer.
    yeah but that was obviously after he got in?

yeah but that was obviously after he got in?

Yeah but he wasn't attempting to rob anyone, he was just attacking them. I assume he was off his face on something, sure sounds that way.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I was at the gig on Saturday with the missus, who bought it for me as a birthday present. From being at Oxegen for a number of years, I could see this coming. This gig (not Stone Roses or Snow Patrol/Florence) was more or less a replacement for Oxegen and it was always going to attract the scum from all over the island.

The crowd on the bus on the way up were grand, the majority in the 17-23 age bracket. Your typical college types. As the drink went in, the louder they got and the more they tried to impress each other (as was to be expected by this age group). Some of them decided to relieve themselves into cans the back of the bus, again, not very surprising for guys that age.

We arrived in Dublin, went along the quays everything normal, could see the odd reveler waving and a few walking along the quays towards Phoenix Park.

Just past Heuston Station was when we saw the major change in atmosphere. There was people standing in the middle of the street with bottles of vodka in their hands screaming into cars waiting for people to move out of the way so that they could get out of the area. These kids were a mess, and this was probably on a par with your average Saturday night after clubs shut kind of mess, difference was, this was before the gig at 3.30 in the afternoon. The girls were probably the worst (one of whom was sitting in a ditch/bog crying her eyes out to a security guard), but for every wasted girl, there was a certain edginess about the lads. A lot of them clearly trying to impress their mates, mixed with a fair amount of drink lead to that edginess and aggression. That or they were coked up to their eyeballs.

We made it in to the arena of mud (which didn't surprise me as I was at the Stone Roses on Thursday) and everything was good spirited. Herself and I headed up for a few wines and beers respectively and chilled out on a nice dry patch of railing beside one of the Heineken tents and took in some of the support bands. We moved in toward the stage for Calvin Harris and by the end of his set everything was grand, we encountered a few eejits which is to be expected at every gig but no trouble.

However, as the crowds swelled, the vibe from outside returned ten fold with all sorts of dodgy characters hanging about, particularly a crowd gathering at one of the corners of the venue. We headed back up towards the beer tents, and on our way past the Welfare tent there was a few casualties inside, one flat out on his face and obviously out of it. Saw a few people squaring up to each other, but nothing came of it. At this point it was very noticeable that the security and Garda presence (most of which was at the gate) was very thin.

We got our drinks and a couple of burgers to keep us going for the rest of the gig, and on the way down to see Snoop Dogg we noticed a number of naggins lying on the ground from Bacardi to Captain Morgan that were obviously smuggled past security at the gate. At the Stone Roses, these would have been lifted by the clean up staff by this stage, but they were no where to be seen, I lifted the couple that I could get my hands on and fired them into the bin and we headed into the Pit where the crowd were a lot calmer and seemed to be enjoying themselves more (possibly due to the fact that it was so far away from the beer tents).

We chilled out up against the railing at the back of the pit for Tinie Tempah and at this point, the crowd behind us seemed to get very nasty. Stuff started flying in the air (which happens at gigs, I know) but this wasn't the normal, at least three bottles hit the railing behind the pit and we saw a few guys with patched up eyes in the pit along with another guy that was lifted towards security behind the pit with a rather nasty head wound. The guy at the end was unconscious and looked like he had been bottled and beaten up.

Thankfully, darkness descended and possibly so did the ability to see potential weapons on the ground, everything went well during Swedish House Mafia and in all it was good craic. We left slightly early to beat the crowds and get a bite to eat and when we were leaving, we met a number of ambulances outside. One of which had a number of concerned looking guys standing outside it with drops of blood on the road. We moved briskly towards where the busses were parked and away to relative safety.

I love lots of different genres of music. What sounds good to me is good enough for me, however from experience of this and other dance/electronica acts that I have seen before including Prodigy, Pendulum, Faithless, Aphex Twin, I can safely say that I will not go to another one for as long as I live. It is just not worth the hassle. Any enjoyment that can be taken from a concert, is taken away from you by idiots that either cannot handle the drink/drug that they have taken or are just pure thugs out to hurt somebody. I'd say I'm not the only one after this weekend and it is a real shame.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah but he wasn't attempting to rob anyone, he was just attacking them. I assume he was off his face on something, sure sounds that way.
    Being off your face does not make you do something like this. Being a filthy scumbag does.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The media will ask questions of the Garda, the stewards, the promoters, the venue, the acts and the type of music for why all this happened. Whilst ignoring the real reason it happened and that is the allowance of the underclasses to grow and basically become a law onto themselves. It wont be until we have a london riots type incident until a crackdown will happen.

Cokeistan wrote: »
    Disliking the fact that the majority of people who attended the concert are branded as skobes too

Yeah the sweeping generalisaions were pissing me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Is talking about MCD still forbidden on this site?

What about posting a link to the new story about the nine stabbings and three people who died of drug overdoses?

http://www.thejournal.ie/mcd-issues-statement-after-stabbings-at-phoenix-park-concert-514193-Jul2012/

It has an official statement from MCD, so you would think it would be ok.

I mean, this isn't ten years ago when they could threaten to sue boards and keep all this stuff quiet. These days news travels fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭batistuta9

the majority of this thread is BS from people who haven't the slightest idea or any experience of what their talking about, but think they know it all - pretty much like any thread in here that goes beyond a certain number of pages.

see below

bit of an exaggeration

The media will ask questions of the Garda, the stewards, the promoters, the venue, the acts and the type of music for why all this happened. Whilst ignoring the real reason it happened and that is the allowance of the underclasses to grow and basically become a law onto themselves. It wont be until we have a london riots type incident until a crackdown will happen.
    and this is only the beginning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

cournioni wrote: »
    the crowd behind us seemed to get very nasty. Stuff started flying in the air (which happens at gigs, I know) but this wasn't the normal, at least three bottles hit the railing behind the pit and we saw a few guys with patched up eyes in the pit along with another guy that was lifted towards security behind the pit with a rather nasty head wound. .

Big wellies were flying all over the place, seen some guy get knocked clean out by one - no need for throwing stuff like that, but then again people dont care who they hit.

Vinta81 wrote: »
    Yeah the sweeping generalisaions were pissing me off.

Same here, the level of ignorance being shown by some people is pathetic. Basically just because SHM are a dance act, according to some people the only people who enjoy dance music are lowlife scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Theres going to be some hysteria on Liveline today!

• Advertisement

Same here, the level of ignorance being shown by some people is pathetic. Basically just because SHM are a dance act, according to some people the only people who enjoy dance music are lowlife scumbags.

As MCD in their statement the VAST majority of the crowd were fine, it was a very, very minor amount of people that caused hassle. It's awful what happened to those people but not everyone who went to the gig should be labelled in the same manor as the people who caused the trouble.

I'm far from a low life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement