Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I'm in college, living at home, and I got a grant last year and had my fees paid. I'm not a mature student though and I'm an undergrad so maybe it's different?

I've never heard about not getting fees paid if you live at home, sounds a bit ridiculous tbh.

I am a mature student but my course would be undergraduate too, I checked on the college website. I've never heard that either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I think just fire ahead Jane. We'll all have our fingers crossed for you I'm sure.

At the end of the day if it does turn out that for whatever reason you can't avail of a grant/fees grant/BTEA at least you will have tried and that's more than some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    I am a mature student but my course would be undergraduate too, I checked on the college website. I've never heard that either.

If it's your first undergrad course your fees will automatically be paid. If it's not, then I'm not sure what the story is.

There's loads of different things you could be entitled to, it all varies with course/circumstance/age/previous studies, and from my own experience you're rarely told what you're entited to unless you ask (which is difficult when you don't know either!), so again, I recommend Citizen's Information but apply for everything if in doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

No need to despair just yet. My bf was living at home with his dad when he went back to college in 2009 and got both the BTEA and the grant. He had been on social welfare for about a year prior to that. His dad was receiving a pension too. So just don't panic yet, it's not absolute. Everybody's circumstances are different and are taken into consideration. Fire ahead with your applications, at the end of the day, all they can do is say no, it's still worth trying.

This is my golden rule. I have a friend who always complains about not getting a grant, yet she's never applied. All they can do is say no, they're not gonna point and laugh at you and hold your pets hostage for wasting their time :pac::pac::pac:

If it's your first undergrad course your fees will automatically be paid. If it's not, then I'm not sure what the story is.

There's loads of different things you could be entitled to, it all varies with course/circumstance/age/previous studies, and from my own experience you're rarely told what you're entited to unless you ask (which is difficult when you don't know either!), so again, I recommend Citizen's Information but apply for everything if in doubt!

Yeah definitely contact citizens advice, not sure about other social welfare offices but in Waterford you need to know the system inside out to get what you are entitled to. If you go to citizens advice for the information first at least you will know exactly what you can get and won't just be fobbed off by someone in the social welfare office.

• Advertisement

If you haven't done so already, ring Citizens Information. They know everything and are very helpful.

I'll be in Portlaoise tomorrow so I might go to the citizen's information centre there.

It's technically my second undergraduate course but it's a level higher than my veterinary nursing degree, that was a level 7 and the vet practice management course is a level 8. I'll go ahead with it and just pray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I've lost 7 inches of my waist since April :cool: now down to a 32".

Weirdly have not lost anything of my chest which means I still can't fit into a dress I bought as I can't get my bloody boobs into it.

Also, I need to by some new clothes as my shorts nearly slid right off today when I was running.

Acoshla, I've always heard that neti port thing does wonders but it always makes me wretch at that the thoughts of it.

Just started a blog, somewhere else to play on the internet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

OMFG, Forbidden Planet are selling pop-up cardboard cut outs of life size Sheldon Cooper for €31. I NEED THIS BECAUSE OF REASONS!
    tumblr_m6a7m5n9Nj1rzwb73o1_250.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Soooo 50,000 letters that were sent out by the company I work for were set to land today. Yep, that's right, FIFTY THOUSAND! I think I wanna hide under my bed for tonight 'cause I don't know how many times I can explain that on the log-in screen, when it asks for the third character of your personal access code, it means the third lettter/number from the code in the letter we have sent to you.

I think it's hilarious that this is the most frequently asked question, considering that the actual process that needs doing after the log-in is pretty fricken complicated! But oh no, the Americans are all good with that, it's just the logging in they can't handle. >_<

BUT SERIOUSLY, WHY SEND 50,000 LETTERS IN ONE GO??!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Only my idiot of a dad could go into the chipper and say no to salt and vinegar.

Idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Am I the only person on this thread who doesn't watch Big Bang Theory? I only know who Sheldon is from this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Acoshla wrote: »
    Am I the only person on this thread who doesn't watch Big Bang Theory? I only know who Sheldon is from this thread.

I've seen it a few times but didn't like it enough to bother to keep watching it. I don't quite get the hype about it!

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

To Youtube with you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭WinterSong

Hey everyone :)

I used to be almostnever (in a past life :P), and I'm really sorry if anyone was worried when I closed my old account! I didn't realise anyone would notice until I set up a new one. :o

Really hope you can get everything sorted out for college Jane, it's a bit of a mess really but if it works out for you in the end it'll all be well worth it :)

Hope you're all well and enjoying the marginally improved weather!

hiya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

WinterSong wrote: »

I used to be almostnever (in a past life :P), and I'm really sorry if anyone was worried when I closed my old account! I didn't realise anyone would notice until I set up a new one. :o

Really hope you can get everything sorted out for college Jane, it's a bit of a mess really but if it works out for you in the end it'll all be well worth it :)

*tacklehugs* welcome back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

\:D/

I'm really glad you're ok xx

:D You're all farrrr too lovely! <3

• Advertisement

Awh welcome back! I'm glad you're okay. :D

Thanks so much, hopefully I will get it all sorted. I have my BTEA form done and I'm about three quarters of the way through the grant form. Fingers crossed it will all work out. If I can get my fees paid, I can survive on 188 a week..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Howya winter, welcome back.

Just had a look at that kitten tv thing, two of them were doing that scare the crap out themselves/ arched back thing. so feckin cute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

You're back!!! :D *rugby tackles to the ground*

Dont ever leave again!! :D

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

You obviously don't watch Channel 4, seems to be on there the whole time :D

WHOOOOOO! Welcome back - though I will admit now, I will never manage to call u by your new name, I always think of Kitty as fluffyorganic, and you'll end up being the same! *huge hugs"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I've seen it a few times but didn't like it enough to bother to keep watching it. I don't quite get the hype about it!

It was better in the early seasons, it was about 4 nerds and the hot girl next door, now its about four successful scientists and their girlfriends, its Friends with moar science and comic jokes. kinda hope they end it soon but knowing US tv they'll run it into the ground over 12 seasons or something. The dynamic of the show wouldnt have lasted over 5 seasons so I get they had to change it up and add new characters, and Amy is hilarious but its more hit and miss these days.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

You're back!!! :D *rugby tackles to the ground*

Dont ever leave again!! :D

PILE ON!!!!!! :D

To whoever put the link to Hospital Theme thingy game up, fe*k ya anyway! Spending ages playing it - still end up killing more people than my "competitors"

GROUP HUG :D

Plus some caramel and chocolate brownies, nyoms for everyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I'm in college, living at home, and I got a grant last year and had my fees paid. I'm not a mature student though and I'm an undergrad so maybe it's different?

I've never heard about not getting fees paid if you live at home, sounds a bit ridiculous tbh.
    It's different if you get BTEA, they changed things when times got tough!
    Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    I've been looking on welfare.ie about BTEA and grants etc. and I can't find anything about not getting your fees paid if you're still living at home. I'm going ahead with the applications, have the BTEA one filled out and I'm waiting for figures from Dad's work etc.
    Jane, all they will say is no. I was told no two years in a row, it's kinda sucky but you pick yourself up and apply again! Try, try and try again!
    Ophiopogon wrote: »
    I've lost 7 inches of my waist since April :cool: now down to a 32".

Weirdly have not lost anything of my chest which means I still can't fit into a dress I bought as I can't get my bloody boobs into it.

Also, I need to by some new clothes as my shorts nearly slid right off today when I was running.
    Wuhoooooooo :) Well done you :D

I was lazy and didn't go for a cycle and bailed on a friend, he is too nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I think you don't get your fees paid if you're going to something at an equivalent level (e.g Level 8 to another level 8), however Jane's progressing from a level 7 to 8 so technically she's still covered by the free fees scheme. The grants office will only pay the student registration fee (between 2000 -2500) if you qualify for btea, which as Jane left education and is returning to she may qualify for. Also I know some who, when turned down appealed it with the Community Welfare Officer and were subsequently granted it. No harm applying sure and then seeing where that leaves you :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement