Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Agree completely yet used so little and Galway City Council ban Jet Skis Speed Boats in the Bay, load of bo...cks

They should be promoting marine leisure not banning it

Banning jet skis and speed boats IS promoting marine leisure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

squonk wrote: »
    Not complaining as such. I was down at the docks and it was really, really good. I'm not in work long but I'm glad I went. I only stayed for the arrival of the first two boats. It was almost 3 at that stage and I really needed to head as I've a job to look after as well.

One thing that was a pain in the hole from a spectator point of view was that they waited for the first group to all finish before letting any of the boats in. Had they let them come in just after crossing the line it would have been more fun. I think they forgot about their spectators in an effort to get some good shots of all 4 boats arriving in together.

The first boat crossed the finish line near mutton island at 01:43am.
    They celebrated a bit on board, then had to get back to work taking down the sails, get the motor running & slowly maneuver your way through a flotilla of spectator boats towards the docks.
    On top of that, the harbour was only able to open the gates at 2am when the water was high enough.

I left Salthill @ 2am, back home in 5 mins, logged on and saw the first 4 boats arrive into the docks on the live tracker. Went to bed @ 2:45, and at that stage all 4 were past the gates. I think Camper was docked by 2:15.

Don't forget, that not only do you have spectators dockside, you also have millions of spectators watching online & on tv throughout the world, so they do need to get good tv footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

A simple solution,earplugs folks and let the party go on as it's a once of event for Galway.
    We only saw two Guards from 9pm until 1:30 am around the town,lucky the crowd are well behaved but there should definitely beca presence at the Spanish Arch as it looks terrible to people crossing the bridge and a group of teens swigging Buckie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Ficheall

LimGal wrote: »
    Its pathetic to hear people on hear complaining about the biggest night in Galways history.Its one night people.....ONE NIGHT!!!
    The biggest night in Galway's history? Come on, now...

biko wrote: »
    Noise woke the girlfriend up, we live in Shantalla!
    Good stuff, I'm glad so many were down to see the ships come in.

Kinda sad to read posters hating on the VOR when it's an event that happens only every few years and bring a lot of attention to this small city, including free bands and other activities. But I suppose not everyone likes the craic.
    I'm up in Hazel Park and could hear your wan and see the lights in the sky. I hadn't slept the night before though, so there wasn't any danger of her keeping me awake.

I'm not going to "hate on the VOR", as I couldn't really give a toss about it one way or the other, but it reminds me of Rag Week and Race Week and yon "not everyone likes the craic" comment is about as applicable in this instance as it is coming from the proponents of either of the two aforementioned events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Sappa wrote: »
    A simple solution,earplugs folks and let the party go on as it's a once of event for Galway.
    We only saw two Guards from 9pm until 1:30 am around the town,lucky the crowd are well behaved but there should definitely beca presence at the Spanish Arch as it looks terrible to people crossing the bridge and a group of teens swigging Buckie.
    Jaysus I saw at least 30 guards around the docks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭LimGal

Ficheall wrote: »
    The biggest night in Galway's history? Come on, now...

I'm up in Hazel Park and could hear your wan and see the lights in the sky. I hadn't slept the night before though, so there wasn't any danger of her keeping me awake.

I'm not going to "hate on the VOR", as I couldn't really give a toss about it one way or the other, but it reminds me of Rag Week and Race Week and yon "not everyone likes the craic" comment is about as applicable in this instance as it is coming from the proponents of either of the two aforementioned events.

Sorry but maybe Im not old enough to remember when Galway had the eyes of the world on it in this way before and like another poster has already said millions watching online around the world.So ya imo it was the biggest night in Galways history:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Seems likes there's a lot of excitement in Galway about the Volvo Ocean Race - was at it the last time (was it 2 or 3 years ago).
    However, I can't get over to Galway until Friday due to work - will all the fun and the fuss have died down by then and will I end up missing it really?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Galway is going to need all of it's famed fun loving spirit. The weather forecast for this week & the weekend is atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gold Leaf Tea

Would have loved to have been down on the docks for it but sadly, an early start this am meant that I just couldn't be there. Was it really that noisy?

Live in Lower Salthill and didn't hear a thing:o

Sod a bit of noise anyway, tis great for the city and that's the main thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

Kinda sad to read posters hating on the VOR when it's an event that happens only every few years and bring a lot of attention to this small city, including free bands and other activities. But I suppose not everyone likes the craic.

I don't think people are complaining about last nights event or the Ocean Race in general but crappy dance music and screaming into a microphone for 3 hours in the middle of the night and clearly audible from 2 miles away is not exactly fair to city residents especially those of us with kids and pets. Our dog wouldn't come out from under our bed and the noise woke the baby too. Ear plugs not an option!
    It is entirely possible to celebrate without annoying other people. There were thousands of people at the last arrival, everyone had the same great time and no need for the racket. It sounded like a tacky fun fair . Not exactly the yachting buzz!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭squonk

Did they have shouty lady and DJ NoiseStarter at the last race in 2009? I wasn't around then for it but it did strike me that it was a bit OTT from about 1:30 once the music ramped up. I'm up in Terryland and you could only see the spotlights from there but if you were the wrong side of the wind I'd say it would have carried goodo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Seems likes there's a lot of excitement in Galway about the Volvo Ocean Race - was at it the last time (was it 2 or 3 years ago).
    However, I can't get over to Galway until Friday due to work - will all the fun and the fuss have died down by then and will I end up missing it really?

no, it will be a mighty weekend in Galway this coming weekend - it tends to quieten during the week and gear up for weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Ficheall

whineflu wrote: »
    It is entirely possible to celebrate without annoying other people. There were thousands of people at the last arrival, everyone had the same great time and no need for the racket. It sounded like a tacky fun fair . Not exactly the yachting buzz!
    You could hear it last time, too, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

LimGal wrote: »
    Sorry but maybe Im not old enough to remember when Galway had the eyes of the world on it in this way before and like another poster has already said millions watching online around the world.So ya imo it was the biggest night in Galways history:)
    'Eyes of the world' and 'millions' online, sounds a bit of a push to me, its mostly rich yachties that have an interest in this race. On the noise, im lucky i must be hard to wake as we are on Augustine St and didnt hear a thing. ;)

As for last night, Thin Lizzy were superb, blew all the other lightweight acts like Kanyu Tree, Maverick Sabre etc out of the water for me, had the crowd far more involved than those acts too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

whineflu wrote: »
    I don't think people are complaining about last nights event or the Ocean Race in general but crappy dance music and screaming into a microphone for 3 hours in the middle of the night and clearly audible from 2 miles away is not exactly fair to city residents especially those of us with kids and pets. Our dog wouldn't come out from under our bed and the noise woke the baby too. Ear plugs not an option!

Precisely, I don't mind losing a nights sleep but I'm sure plenty of elderly people, as you said those with kids and pets, and patients in the hospital didn't deserve to have that stuff blasted til the early hours. A properly set-up PA system and there wouldn't have been a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Did they have shouty lady and DJ NoiseStarter at the last race in 2009? I wasn't around then for it but it did strike me that it was a bit OTT from about 1:30 once the music ramped up. I'm up in Terryland and you could only see the spotlights from there but if you were the wrong side of the wind I'd say it would have carried goodo!

Last time there was Keith Finnegan and a lot of drummers and a LOT of Galway Girl!

Last night was great, super atmosphere. More people than the last time and more organised, I suppose as it was the final. I think overall the last time was better as it was quite unexpected and was a Saturday night and had the Green Dragon factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

No they didnt have her or loud D.J's last time.Last time it was an equally annoying guy that use to be on GBFM on the P.A and they just played the boats theme tunes as they were coming in.She was quite annoying last night,im still hearing her voice in my head today-make it stop:P.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gold Leaf Tea

Last time there was Keith Finnegan and a lot of drummers and a LOT of Galway Girl!

Last night was great, super atmosphere. More people than the last time and more organised, I suppose as it was the final. I think overall the last time was better as it was quite unexpected and was a Saturday night and had the Green Dragon factor.

Well, the overall winning team does have an Irish man on it, in fairness! And he was also crew on the Green Dragon!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damian_Foxall

He is/was trimmer on the Groupama boat!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

But I suppose not everyone likes the craic.
    I'm mad for the craic I am. Where do you live, I want to have a big all night party in your garden whenever I feel like it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

'Eyes of the world' and 'millions' online, sounds a bit of a push to me, its mostly rich yachties that have an interest in this race. On the noise, im lucky i must be hard to wake as we are on Augustine St and didnt hear a thing. ;)

Galway was on NBC national american television for quite some time last night showing the live events, millions of people watch that channel.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

@biko
    Can I ask why did you thanks this post?
    Predalien wrote: »
    Precisely, I don't mind losing a nights sleep but I'm sure plenty of elderly people, as you said those with kids and pets, and patients in the hospital didn't deserve to have that stuff blasted til the early hours. A properly set-up PA system and there wouldn't have been a problem.
    Aren't these the people who you said earlier "don't like the craic"?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

Some Photos from Last night !

'Eyes of the world' and 'millions' online, sounds a bit of a push to me,

Amazingly even the rest of Ireland seemed to miss it's importance. I was listening to radio all day & there wasn't one mention of the Volvo on any of the national sports bulletins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭LimGal

As for last night, Thin Lizzy were superb, blew all the other lightweight acts like Kanyu Tree, Maverick Sabre etc out of the water for me, had the crowd far more involved than those acts too.

As yer man! has just said it was on NBC for a large chunk of the night,a channel that millions watch and you can be sure there was probably a few more million online watching as well so no imo I dont think it is a bit of a push to think that there was a large global audience watching.And please dont let this descend into what I meant by having ''the eyes of the world on Galway'' I think most people on this thread knew what I meant when I posted that (a large global audience).Lets not get pedantic:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭ratracer

This thread is becoming a little bit fascinating to read but also a little bit predictable.

I was at the docks last time and I was there last night. I've never sailed, but the craic and the atmosphere around the town is fantastic. The scale of this event is amazing and it was very memorable last night.
    As with any large scale event in an urban setting, some people will be inconvienenced through noise, crowds, etc. It happens all the time at matches concerts etc. It is such a pity the boats arrived late in the night again, but unfortunately weather can't be predicted months ahead. Remember, the boats were expected to arive this afternoon, which then would have eliminated all the noise related posts on here. As has been said it was just ONE night. All the other events are over by 10.30ish.

Enjoy the rest of the week, the economic benefit to the town is immense. The social nature that Galway strives to portray is well and truly alive, as was witnessed last night, and hopefully this will leave a longer lasting attraction to the city.

As for tonight, come on the Doc's!!:)

PS: The MC was useless and ridiculously loud.

Given the size & location of Galway it is a huge event & we should be proud to have it. The run in to the race was way better than last year when a lone yacht appeared over the horizon. The flotilla greeting the winner made a huge difference to those watching along the bay.

Next time they should allocate a chase boat with a floodlight to each yacht. The moments when the sails were illuminated were brilliant - like giant lampshades :D.

The PA noise seems bizarre given that it would of been easy to mount the PA so that excess noise went out to sea. If you live around the docks then tough. After all you get the benefit of nice views etc all year long & the docks are a working area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Some Photos from Last night !

Great pix -- captured the atmosphere.

Are you allowed to say "blast them with champagne" in this forum? ;)

Or rain, now that I think of it. Hammering down on the roof as I type...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 fair play for ever

Great night for Galway. Was home at 4am and up this morning for work at 7.45. It is a little annoying if you live around the docks and have no interest in whats happening in the city.Understand the residents of the older houses who have lived in the Docks for the past 30 yrs if they are a little annoyed. Have absolutely no pity for anyone who rents or purchased in the past few years. What do they expect? Living that close to centre of the city brings a certain amount of noise and if you choose to live down there well enough said.
    The most annoying part of the night was the grating voice of the mc and I think a major slip up that they didnt have Ollie Turner ,Jimmy Norman or Keith Finnegan who would be a lot better at getting the crowd going and a lot less annoying. I gather from listening to GBFM this morning that Keith Finnegan was to do it but to use horse talk got 'jocked off' in favour of the UK lass.
    Well done "Lets do it GALWAY"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Discodog wrote: »
    Amazingly even the rest of Ireland seemed to miss it's importance. I was listening to radio all day & there wasn't one mention of the Volvo on any of the national sports bulletins.

was all over RTE 1 news bulletins this morning. All morning.

• Advertisement

ratracer wrote: »
    It is such a pity the boats arrived late in the night again, but unfortunately weather can't be predicted months ahead.

I fully appreciate the nature of sailing but I disagree on this point. The final leg was very short & the winds in the area, whilst variable, are usually present. The most likely arrival time was always going to be at night if they left Lorient at lunchtime. Had the wind not dropped they would of arrived in daylight.

I suspect that they focus on the start time, in the sense of making it the middle of the day, so good for the start town. But as this was the final leg it might have made more sense to adjust it so that the tens of thousands lining the route had a better view & it would of given better TV coverage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement